The Next Best Book Club discussion

In Honor Of Those Who've Passed > 1922 - 2010 Jose Saramago

Comments Showing 1-14 of 14 (14 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Lori, Super Mod (new)

Lori (tnbbc) | 10095 comments Mod
Today my heart was whole. Today my heart has broken.

RIP Jose Saramago

http://papercuts.blogs.nytimes.com/20...

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/06/19/boo...

message 2: by Donna (new)

Donna (dfiggz) | 1626 comments Boooooo!!! He will be missed!

message 3: by Becky (new)

Becky (beckyofthe19and9) Awww... That's very sad. :(
That is a very interesting NYT article... I never knew any of that about him.

I'll have to read another of his books in tribute, I think.

message 4: by Kandice (new)

Kandice Very, very sad. I've been putting Blindness back, but after reading that article feel I should read it sooner.

I know how much you love him, Lori. I'm sorry.

message 5: by Jackie (new)

Jackie (thenightowl) Oh wow :(

I have not read any of his books either, but I know how much you loved him Lori. My condolences.

message 6: by Lori, Super Mod (new)

It's sad for me, though I know he has novels that have not yet been translated for us, that we will not see new novels from him anymore.

message 7: by Carol (new)

Carol That makes me sad. I love his books, sorry there will be no more,unless they find an unfinished or long lost manuscript. We can always hope.

message 8: by Lori, Super Mod (new)

He has a few untranslated books yet to come to us....
But still...

message 9: by Robert (new)

Robert Davis (robert_davis) | 2977 comments I found Blindness to be very challenging. The run on sentences that stretched into paragraphs...I wondered if the writer was intentionally trying to frustrate the reader. I still don't know. I wanted to give up and throw the book down. Why did he write in such a style?

message 10: by Lori, Super Mod (new)

Robert, As a fan of Saramago, I can assure you he did not write books in the hopes of frustrating the reader. He chose a style that worked for him. Granted, it is not for everyone....

I think I love his stories all the more because of the style he wrote in. He had an amazing head for storytelling.

message 11: by Karendenice (new)

Karendenice I'm so sorry, Lori. I have not heard of him before, but I will be praying for you and his family. Because of the comments when I go to the library today I will look for his books. Hope you feel better soon.

message 12: by Becky (new)

Becky (beckyofthe19and9) Robert wrote: "I found Blindness to be very challenging. The run on sentences that stretched into paragraphs...I wondered if the writer was intentionally trying to frustrate the reader. I still don't know. I w..."

I really enjoyed Blindness, although I do agree that the style can be challenging - but I felt that it was supposed to be. I thought that the style Blindness was written in fit that story, and lent a lot to the feeling of the blindness and disorientation and confusion that the characters experienced.

message 13: by Karendenice (new)

Karendenice I just got Blindnessand Death With Interruptionsat the library. I will follow this post and try to see what you all are saying.

message 14: by Lori, Super Mod (new)

Karen, that is sweet, but there is no reason to pray for me. I never met him, just adored everything he wrote!