Movies We've Just Watched discussion

The Happening

Comments Showing 1-23 of 23 (23 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Tera (TheBookishAbyss) Just saw this on Saturday, what a waste of time!! I did keep my attention enough that I didn't walk out. However, at the end of the movie, I heard at least 3 people say it was the worst movie they had ever seen.

message 2: by Crystal (new)

Crystal | 118 comments I really enjoyed this movie. Not my favorite movie but I was entertained.

I read an article about this movie and M. Night stated that he wrote this movie as a fun "B" movie. It wasn't supposed to be a major blockbuster. He knew that some people might not like it but he was ok with that. It wasn't supposed to be in the same ring with Signs and The Sixth Sense.

Tera (TheBookishAbyss) Some people aren't going to like any film that comes out. His quote is just like he is setting it up, so people aren't disappointed like we have been with most of his recent films. Having said that, I am a huge M. Night fan and go to see each of his films, hoping his creativity will blossom into another great film like the Sixth Sense. I also didn't think this movie was fun at all. It had a very serious message.

message 4: by George (last edited Jun 16, 2008 06:36PM) (new)

George | 951 comments It has a potentially serious message, but there's no real explanation for what set it off, just a bit of speculation here and there, so you can make up your serious message as you see filt.. I saw it earlier this afternoon. It's far from the worst movie I've ever seen, but it certainly could have been a bit more compelling. For me, the concept was far more interesting than the film itself.

message 5: by Sherry (new)

Sherry I would have to agree George.I was entertained but it certainly wasn't in the calibre of Signs or Sixth sense.I was disappointed with Zooey Deschanel's part.(excuse the spelling if it's wrong:)
she just didn't have the depth needed to make the movie more believable.

message 6: by Nicole (new)

Nicole (nlojeda) | 42 comments I liked it. Once again, the peeps that were with me didn't like it. I'm starting to question who I spend my time with. I bought a single Janet Jackson ticket this morning because I couldn't find anyone to go to the concert with me. I need new friends.
Anyway, I thought it was decent. I agree that Z.D.'s part was numb and boring. I suppose she was supposed to be that way according to the script.

message 7: by Cathy Berry (new)

Cathy Berry (berrygirl55) | 30 comments My husband & I saw this Saturday instead of The Incredible Hulk - we wish we'd seen Hulk. My husband thought this was possibly the worse movie he's seen this year. I wouldn't go that far, but I'm certainly not recommending it to anyone.

For my money Betty Buckley was the only interesting character. I thought Mark Wahlberg was terrible! Not that he was miscast (which was my husband's theory) or the part was poorly written, but that his acting stunk! He was stiff, wooden, & amatuerish.

I think that M. Night is an extremely gifted writer/director. He certainly has an interesting voice as a writer & as a director he has a good eye for the cinematic. But for me nothing has measured up to The Sixth Sense (I remember being totally surprised when I realized that Bruce Willis was one of the "dead people"-I had been completely sucked in). I liked both The Village & Signs, but continue to wait for a film that equals or surpasses The Sixth Sense.

message 8: by Sherry (new)

Sherry I liked Wahlberg in the movie but he does have a tendency to be wooden.His performance in The Departed was top notch though so he does have it in him when he has the material to work from.

Betty Buckley was a wonder!Very creepy!

message 9: by Pat (new)

Pat I really enjoyed the movie. I would believe what Crystal said about it being the "B" movie. That's what it was like for me. Cheesy, funny, and scary. Better than I expected. Not Sixth Sense, but I don't think it was intended to be. I was definitely entertained.

message 10: by Manuel (last edited Jul 04, 2009 03:06PM) (new)

Manuel | 469 comments Boy Im really glad I didnt have to pay to see this one.

Just saw it on my Netflix que, part of my 1 month free service.

Im sorry to see that each of M Night's films seems to be worse than the movie preceding.

I really liked the way he builds up the tension bit by bit. Something horrible is happening beyond anyone's control.Our instinct is to run away and hide. In the end; the payoff comes off as incredibly underwhelming, and almost laughable. It just feels like you woke up from a bad dream, not really a nightmare, just the kind of dream you have if you eat too much pizza before going to bed.

Questions I have:

So, are humans the only mammals affected by the pheromone or toxin?

Are other animals closely connected to humans immune. I.E dogs, cats, domestic birds, cattle, sheep, and horses?

Can any of the infected people be saved? If you grab someone and make them incapacitated will they recover eventually?

What about children? I imagine they would also be affected, but I suspect showing children killing themselves would be too graphic and distracting from the plot.

Is the entire Eastern seaboard affected? The end of the movie, shows life back to normal in Philadelphia. I take it for granted all the millions of people in New York and Philadelphia havent all perished in the happening?

I think it would have much more frightening if the toxins had made people kill other people........unfortunately that is the plot for "28 Days Later"

I usually really enjoy M Night's movies. I hope they start getting better.

message 11: by George (new)

George | 951 comments Yes, there's nothing that provokes terror more than the sight of the wind blowing through the grass. I've decided to become a desert nomad to protect myself and my family. I imagine his films will start becoming better. It's hard to believe they could become worse.

message 12: by Alex DeLarge (new)

Alex DeLarge | 851 comments I'm sorry to report, yes it gets worse! He is now filming a trilogy based upon the Nickelodeon cartoon AVATAR: THE LAST AIRBENDER as reported by Film Comment.

message 13: by George (new)

George | 951 comments a triology? Is there no God?

message 14: by Ceci (new)

Ceci (cecialbiceleste) | 529 comments I've got this dvd waiting for me at the library so I'll be seeing it soon. I know it's been getting bad reviews everyhere but we'll see if I agree. Anyhow, I think The Sixth Sense is VASTLY overrated... I figured out the main twist of the movie very early on and so it held no surprise for me. "I see bad movies."

I prefer The Village, really loved that one.

message 15: by Alex DeLarge (new)

Alex DeLarge | 851 comments I may watch THE HAPPENING just for the fun of it...but life is too short to waste on bad films. For every HAPPENING I lose the time to catch up on Chaplin or Keaton...

message 16: by Manuel (new)

Manuel | 469 comments What I loved about THE HAPPENING is how strong it starts. It looks like a normal day in Central Park, and very quickly I was hooked, something unusual starts to happen .....
I automatically started to invest a lot into this movie, I wanted to know what going on, whats going to happen next??

That is why I was so disappointed in the payoff.

It feels liked a flawed movie, that might have been saved with some rewriting and some editing.

I didnt want to see a bad film on purpose....that is the shame about this film; it didnt have to be bad.

message 17: by George (new)

George | 951 comments Yes, it started off interestlingly enough. but that didn't last long.

message 18: by Ceci (new)

Ceci (cecialbiceleste) | 529 comments I Am Legend, the Will Smith film, also started really amazingly but the last third of the movie is utter tosh!

message 19: by Ceci (new)

Ceci (cecialbiceleste) | 529 comments Well, I really liked it. A slow-paced, thoughtful, at times hilarious and at other times, spellbinding movie. And I loved the idea behind it... I'd not be surprised if the entire human race was indeed destined to be wiped out by something similarly inexplicable -- that's how much we've been abusing and destroying the earth.

Mark Wahlberg was perfect in the main role, the science teacher who's trying to figure it all out and save his friends; serious, dependable and crafty. But I do love good teacher characters anyway. ;) The film was beautifully shot and I really liked the fact that the main events took place in the countryside and not in NYC, as all too often in catastophe movies. Also, the old lady's house was delightfully creepy, as was Mrs Jones (Betty Buckley) herself... and it was so much fun to see Alan Ruck in the little role of the headmaster as he'll forever be Cameron (from Ferris Bueller's Day Off) for me.

All in all, a funny, weird little movie which I enjoyed a lot. Certainly more than the hugely overvalued Sixth Sense (I guessed the main twist very early on).

message 20: by George (last edited Jul 07, 2009 06:43AM) (new)

George | 951 comments slow paced? yes, I'll agree to that. thoughtful? somewhat, all that different from the similarly green themed The Day the Earth Stood Still or Star Trek 4 save the whales movie? I thought it had some moments, but neither the director nor the script writers figured out how to pull it off.

message 21: by Mawgojzeta (new)

Mawgojzeta I have absolutely loved every other movie that M.Night has done. Loved. Having said that, I was sorely disappointed in this one. I almost liked it, and wanted to like it so much that I forced myself through three viewings before I gave up.

My issue, I determined, was the miscasting of Mark Wahlberg and Zooey Deschanel. I know that some others liked them in this, but I did not. Normally I like both actors, but I found them annoying (which is putting it nicely) in this film. Maybe that was deliberate. If so, not my cup of tea.

message 22: by Manuel (new)

Manuel | 469 comments Not the worst film I've seen, but no where as engaging as The Sixth Sense, Signs, or The Village.

There were some unforgettable visuals,
but in the end, you have to laugh when the most frightening element of a scene is the wind blowing though the trees and meadows.

WAY WAY too many plot holes

message 23: by Ceci (new)

Ceci (cecialbiceleste) | 529 comments Well, I think it's like some of the posters have pointed out before... it was meant to be a B movie. There's great comedy in it, as well as seriousness. I laughed out loud many times when watching it, and the wind blowing through the meadows etc was one of those. I see that as a good thing.

Also, re: Elliot and Alma -- in the extras of the dvd, you get to see many deleted scenes, one of which is the one that ought to have started the movie... a fight scene between the husband and wife. It's absolutely wonderful and should have been kept in, as that would have helped the audience to relate to these people and their problems better.

Anyhow, I did love the film... it's a creepy, funny, odd movie, but very thought-provoking.