Graywolf Press discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
July: Graywolf Press Book Club > Submit your suggestions for the next Graywolf Press Book Club read!

Comments Showing 1-11 of 11 (11 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Marisa, Moderator (last edited Jun 18, 2010 08:54AM) (new)

Marisa Atkinson (totesmarisa) | 244 comments Mod
Hi everyone,

We're now open for suggestions for the July selection for the Graywolf Press Book Club. You have a week to post your suggestions here, and then we'll put all of the suggestions to a group vote.

Again, the deadline for suggestions is Friday, June 25th. Then it goes to a vote by your group members!

message 2: by Hillary (new)

Hillary Major | 22 comments Well, Mattaponi Queen is already on my to-read-soon list, so that would be one suggestion.

I'm very curious about the Serbian poetry anthology, The Horse has Six Legs. I just noticed Skirmish in your catalogue (I didn't know Dobby Gibson had a second book out after Polar.) & I'm feeling rather guilty that I've yet to read anything by Elizabeth Alexander; I could use a nudge to give her work a try.

Natasha (Vasilly) (vasilly) My two suggestions:

Picking Bones from Ash I picked it up from the library yesterday and started reading it almost immediately. I'm enjoying it.

The Yellow-Lighted Bookshop It's a book that I've been wanting to read for awhile now.

message 4: by Shannon (new)

Shannon (iandssmom) | 8 comments Well I'm still reading Obabakoak so I'll suggest that :) Plus I'm really loving it! I've been reading it at work and I keep getting cancelled so that is the only reason it is taking so long!

message 5: by Jane (new)

Jane Ciabattari | 1 comments How about Alyson Hagy's Wyoming Stories?

message 6: by Marisa, Moderator (last edited Jun 23, 2010 07:31AM) (new)

Hi everyone,

Great suggestions, everyone! I've added all of your suggestions to our poll, which will open for voting this Friday, June 25th. You have two more days to submit additional suggestions, so keep 'em coming!

Hillary - Elizabeth Alexander has a new collection, Crave Radiance: New and Selected Poems 1990-2010 that will be out with us this fall, so perhaps we can put that title in the hopper for a future book club.

Natasha - Similarly, we are publishing the paperback of Marie Mockett's Picking Bones from Ash in early 2011, and plan to feature that as a future book club, so I've left it off of the poll for now. But you're right; it will be the perfect selection for the book club!

message 7: by Rebecca (new)

Rebecca | 6 comments I would love to read Mattaponi Queen, or any of the Per Petterson novels that are currently out, either Out Stealing Horses or To Siberia.

message 8: by Marisa, Moderator (last edited Jun 24, 2010 01:01PM) (new)

Sounds good, Rebecca! I'll add both to the poll. Per's latest, I Curse the River of Time , will be out in August, and that would make a great future selection for the book club as well!

message 9: by Mark (new)

Mark Jenkins Two books of poems I'd be interested in discussing here are Tony Hoagland's Unincorporated Persons in the Late Honda Dynasty, though I've read it once already.

Also I'd be interested in The Stranger Manual by Catie Rosemurgy.Flipping through it at the ever moving and shrinking Poetry rack at the local Barnes and Noble, it sounded interesting.

message 10: by Amy (new)

Amy (blacksheepdances) | 34 comments Shelf Awareness had a great interview with the author of Mattaponi Queen today... She sounds wonderful!

Amy

message 11: by Marisa, Moderator (new)

Amy wrote: "Shelf Awareness had a great interview with the author of Mattaponi Queen today... She sounds wonderful!

Amy"

Hi Amy,

I'm glad to hear you saw Belle's Book Brahmin feature in Shelf Awareness today (this is a great book newsletter that you should all subscribe to if you don't already!).

I have to tell you that Belle is indeed WONDERFUL! I worked with her and finally had a chance to spend some time with her in person at Printers Row in Chicago a few weeks ago, and she's completely brilliant and lovely. I'm sure it appears that I'm biased, but Mattaponi Queen really is a breathtaking collection.

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.