Terminalcoffee discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Feeling Nostalgic? The archives > Long Movies Vs. Short Movies

Comments Showing 1-19 of 19 (19 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments I tend not to watch long movies. I have a short attention span, I guess, and if a movie is long it better be damn...fucking...good.

I think most movies would be fine at about 100 minutes. And yes, I fast-forward through the boring parts of most DVDs, with the closed-caption on, so I can read the dialogue.

What are some good examples of long movies? What are movies that are too long? Too short? Just right?

The Lord of the Rings trilogy should have been about a two hour movie, as far as I was concerned, once they took out all the footage of those characters running...

message 2: by Phil (new)

Phil | 11667 comments The new Karate Kid is 2 hrs, 20 minutes. I haven't been to see it yet, but I think that's too long. I'd like to take my son. Do you think a seven year old kid can sit still for that amount of time?

message 3: by ms.petra (new)

ms.petra (mspetra) if there is a lot of action and small drinks, kids can sit through a long movie.

message 4: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments Ok, but why does the Karate Kid have to be so long? Do they need 140 minutes to work up to the big final scene? Are there are a lot of long, moving shots of Jackie Chan and Will Smith's kid bonding?

message 5: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 13815 comments I don't mind long if there's a good reason. LOTR didn't bother me. But I agree that some movies have seventeen endings and are needlessly long. Iron Man 2 would be another example.

message 6: by [deleted user] (new)

Pearl Harbour wasn't 7 hours long?

message 7: by ms.petra (new)

ms.petra (mspetra) Toy Story 3 is 109 minutes. Sounds perfect!

Jackie "the Librarian" | 8993 comments King Kong went on forEVER! Everything was overindulgent, from the endless dinosaur/giant bug chase scene on the island, to the King Kong rampage on Manhattan.

Did we really need to see Kong "ice skating"? I don't THINK so!

Anything that goes past the 2 hour mark should have an intermission. Says the woman who hates to miss anything and was squirming in her seat for the last twenty minutes of that movie...

message 9: by Kevin (new)

Kevin  (ksprink) | 11469 comments the Bore-tanic was excessively long too. if my wife watches it again i tell her to wake me up right before the dude bounces off the propeller

message 10: by Kevin (new)

Kevin  (ksprink) | 11469 comments like half way through sound of music

message 11: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) Kevin "El Liso Grande" wrote: "like half way through sound of music"

Like half way through and quit, for me.

message 12: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 13815 comments Quit the Sound of Music, Larry? Or quit a long movie in general?

message 13: by Dr. Detroit (new)

Dr. Detroit | 6030 comments Jackie "the Librarian" wrote: "King Kong went on forEVER! Everything was overindulgent, from the endless dinosaur/giant bug chase scene on the island, to the King Kong rampage on Manhattan."

The problem I had with "King Kong" was the first 45 minutes to an hour. I kept wondering, "When the hell are they going to head for Skull Island?"

message 14: by Gus (new)

Gus Sanchez (gussanchez) I've seen 90 minute films that seem to drag on forever. Usually Adam Sandler films give me this impression.

Really, people, are our attention spans that short to where we need an intermission after 90 minutes? Whatever. If the film grabs my attention, then it doesn't matter how long it is. My two favorite films ever are Seven Samurai (3 hours, 27 minutes) and Lawrence of Arabia (3 hours, 26 minutes).

Agreed that some films go on too damned long. I think comedies, for example, should never last more than 2 hours. I endured the last Sex and the City film, which was 2 1/2 hours and 1 hour too long.

Jackie "the Librarian" | 8993 comments Gus, what Bun said. It's not about attention span. For me, it's about bladder size. Hence the squirming.

Heck, I tore out to the restroom during the credits for Kong, and came back to watch the rest of them, to make sure I wasn't missing anything.

message 16: by Gus (new)

Gus Sanchez (gussanchez) I get it. Sorry for jumping to conclusions.

message 17: by Jonathan (new)

Jonathan Lopez | 4728 comments Basically it really doesn't matter to me how long a film is so long as it's well done.

One of my all-time favorites, "Red Dust," with Clark Gable and Gene Harlow, is only 83 minutes long, yet it makes me feel like I've been transported to another world every time I watch it.

Another favorite, Bertolucci's "1900," with De Niro and Gerard Depardieu, runs 315 minutes, but it is, in its own way, equally engrossing.

With regard to bad movies, of course, the shorter the better...

message 18: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments Yes! I have done the "ready...set...go!" sprint to the bathroom during movies. I pee as fast as I can and run back, worried about what I missed. Isn't there a website somewhere that tells you the best time to pee?

I wonder if intermissions would mean the theater couldn't show the movies as many times and wouldn't make as much money.

message 19: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments I think I may have posted that link, believe it or not. But when I have to pee I have to pee, so I don't the sprint and pee. And I often drink a diet soda while in the movies, too, so I have no one but myself to blame.

I think you're right on the concessions, Buns. It's an interesting idea.

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.