Terminalcoffee discussion

Random Queries > pools, beaches, swimming, etc....

Comments Showing 1-21 of 21 (21 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments Do you like going to public pools, beaches, etc.? Do you like swimming?

I ask in part because the librarian informed me that her town does not have a public pool. This surprised me. My little town has a decent pool at which many of the local kids hang out:

http://www.ci.port-washington.wi.us/P...

We also have a beach, but the water's cold as hell most of the year, so the kids tend to prefer the pool.

I went to the Norwood Park pool in Chicago a lot when I was a kid.

Now, however, I don't swim much. I've considered taking it up as a workout option instead of the usual cardio but, um, there are a lot of old people in the lanes at the Y and they get in the way (sorry!).

You? Do you like the beach/swimming/pools? Pros and cons?

message 2: by Dr. Detroit (new)

Dr. Detroit | 6030 comments Our town does not have public pools, but rather pool clubs that you have to pay to join. We belong to one that is conveniently located one block away. My wife is on the board, in charge of concessions. We're up there all the time. I've always loved to swim.

And RA, I don't care what Billy Blanks says. It's the best workout ever.

message 3: by Jonathan (new)

Jonathan Lopez | 4728 comments I love ocean beaches. There's nothing like swimming in a real surf. And I also like the feeling of hanging out at the beach--the sun, the sand, the breeze off the water. Pools have never really done much for me, although if I happen to be visiting a friend who has a pool, I'd certainly use it.

Personally, I'm not disciplined enough to swim laps for exercise. But I have definitely heard that swimming is among the best possible workout routines: it gets your heart rate up because it really is aerobic if you do it right, and it's also a great muscle workout because it uses most of the major groups without the skeletal stress of running.

Anyway, beach weather is just starting here. The water temp is not bad, but still a little bit cold, around 68-70 degrees. July, August, and early September are usually great for swimming.

message 4: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments I got an ad for a Toy Story Disney credit card. I will not be clicking.

message 5: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 13815 comments I love lakes and swimming in the ocean, though occasionally I get paranoid about sharks and jellyfish, depending on where I am swimming.
I get bored swimming laps, so I mostly like pools when I'm with my sisters and cousins and we can goof around and pretend we're twelve.

message 6: by Phil (new)

Phil | 11676 comments We don't have lakes nearby. We do have two reservoirs, but I don't swim in them. One is known for parasites that give you "swimmer's itch."

We have a pool at home, so that's our water fun. The public pools are full of millions of kids (hey, it's Utah), and they have to chase everyone out every few hours to superchlorinate because somebody pooped in the pool.

message 7: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments We used to have a pool in the backyard, a cool one, but my wife wanted us to get rid of it to 1) get more yard, and 2) be safer for the kids. In retrospect, we should have just bought a house without a pool, because getting rid of that sucker was a massive pain in the ass.

message 8: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) We had a lovely heated pool/spa when we lived in TX. It was so luxurious. ::sigh::

message 9: by Jaime (new)

Jaime | 158 comments We used to have a pool but got rid of it because it was hardly ever used. Our town doesn't have a public pool either. The beach is about 45 mins-1 hr away. I would rather go there but rarely do.

Jackie "the Librarian" | 8993 comments It's true, there are no public pools in Olympia. You have to join the Y, or go to Evergreen State College and pay if you want to swim in a pool.

I prefer to wait until the weather warms up, and swim in either Ward or Long Lake. Pools are pretty limited, and full of kids. I'd rather swim out into a lake, and enjoy the scenery and being outdoors.

Or go to Hawaii, and swim in the ocean. I got stung by a jellyfish last year, THAT was interesting! I know now to avoid murky water. It was like getting a lot of little electric shocks, and then later it itched a little, like bug bites.

I'm not worried about sharks, but I think it would be cool to see one. The sharks in Hawaii that you see near shore don't have a reputation for being dangerous, and tend to be there just at dawn and dusk, which is not when I go swimming.

message 11: by [deleted user] (new)

I love love love swimming in the ocean, all our holidays now are spent at the beach. I never worry about sharks as I have more chance of being hit by a car than being taken by a shark. I grow up near the water & spent all my free time swimming in the salt water creek across the road from my house. The water was lovely and crystal clear. The most hazardous thing was the jellyfish that came in with the king tides in summer....

Because we are not near the water now, we had a 12 meter long swimming pool built for my kids to swim in, it's heated & has jets for those inclined to relaxing. I don't find the pool as relaxing as I though I would. The kids tend to climb all over me when I get in.

message 12: by smetchie (new)

smetchie | 4034 comments I love swimming in the ocean and pools but lakes freak me out. I think I've watched too many horror films. We have a community pool in my neighborhood so my kids and I are there several times a week.

message 13: by Jonathan (new)

Jonathan Lopez | 4728 comments From what I hear, Australians are pretty tough, Misha. Probably they would just bash that Great White between the eyes with a big can of Foster's and send him packing...

message 14: by Jonathan (new)

Jonathan Lopez | 4728 comments Hah! Yes, I do. Don't make 'em like that anymore...

message 15: by [deleted user] (new)

Misha wrote: "Gail! No saltwater crocs in that creek? I'm terrified of the entire continent of Australia. Great whites, crocs, funnel web spiders. Ack!

Rationally, I know it's extremely unlikely that any of t..."

The crocodiles exist only in the far far north. You don't find them as far down as Brisbane if that helps, honestly. ::eyes rolling::

Great Whites are mainly off the coast of Western Australia. We only rarely get them on the east coast. Follow Jackie’s instructions of not swimming at dawn & dusk and you would never have a problem. (We do like to feed them with a few nice juicy tourists every now and then.) :)

Nobody dies of a funnel web spider bite. You would never see them anyway, not unless you were poking around in the undergrowth.

I really hate the discovery channels, the amount of fear factor & lack of any real information gives me the willies. I love nature programmes, but honestly the drivel they go on with is mind boggling....

message 16: by [deleted user] (last edited Jun 20, 2010 01:26AM) (new)

Okay so I got a bit carried away. Ooops! :)

message 17: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments I don't care what you say. Now I'm never going to Florida OR Australia.

:)

message 18: by [deleted user] (new)

::Secretly breeding a super race of crocodiles, tough enough to withstand sub-zero temperatures. Plan to infest Lake Michigan.::

message 19: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments You fucking Australians cannot be trusted!

However, you gave Kylie Minogue and Naomi Watts so all is forgiven.

message 20: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments They'll reach Seattle, first, Misha. Remember, I don't have to outrun the crocs...I just have to outrun you:)

message 21: by [deleted user] (new)

Ahhh no, my cunning plan is now out. You can't stop them/me. No one can stop me!

AH HA HA HA HA!!!!
::thunder & lighting::