Warhammer 40,000 Fiction discussion

Ultramarines: The Movie

Comments Showing 1-46 of 46 (46 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Sarah (last edited Jun 17, 2010 04:16PM) (new)

Sarah Davis (keamymayloken) | 61 comments Teaser trailer:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QhiGXK...
Interview with Dan Abnett:
http://www.youtube.com/watchv=aBsWc1i...
I am not very pleased with the graphics but if the story is good I think I think I can forgive that!
Guess I need to read some of the Ultramarine books:P

message 2: by Steve (new)

Steve Chaput (stevec50) | 35 comments It looks, to me at least, like they modeled the Space Marine's face after an older, George C. Scott.

Seriously, the voice talent could not be much better, but I'll reserve judgement.

message 3: by Sarah (new)

Sarah Davis (keamymayloken) | 61 comments I agree I think they'll be good voices but no body take this wrong but I always imagined for the most part Asterdies err a little younger then most of those guys:)
High Hopes for it though I hope they have a midnight showing:p

message 4: by John (new)

John (angryjohnny) | 57 comments I think the animation looks great from what I've seen so far. I'm really looking forward to this being released. I'm not a fan really of the Ultramarines, but hey, at least we have a WH40K movie.

They have a website with some more stuff on it: http://ultramarinesthemovie.com/

message 5: by Brian (new)

Brian I am holding out for a trailer showing some battles. The current trailer is more teaser than trailer. The video game Space Marine looks really cool. If you have not see the trailer on youtube you should look it up. Although the trailer did first appear 2-3 years ago and from what I understand release date is still TBA.

message 6: by Sarah (new)

Sarah Davis (keamymayloken) | 61 comments :/...know what ya mean Brian, but it was a teaser trailer, my only thing is I've seen some awesome graphisc in computer game trailer to a game I like it was epic and so real!
I was imagining it like that I'm disapointed.
Do you think it will be pg-13 or R?
I'm hoping for a really well done PG-13 at the moment:)

message 7: by John (new)

John (angryjohnny) | 57 comments If they stick to the true nature of the 40K background it would be rated 'R'. However, a significant portion of the fan-base for 40K are teenage kids, so I'm thinking they'll soften it up a bit and make it 'PG-13'. I know my 8 year old son want's to watch it with me so while I'd really appreciate the 'R' rating and keeping to the true nature of 40K, I'd be happy with a 'PG-13' so I can let my son watch it with me.

message 8: by Sarah (new)

Sarah Davis (keamymayloken) | 61 comments :)lol know what ya mean the rated R nature...but I'm confident that they can make a PG-13 one (I hope)that is juat barley PG-13 that keeps both parents and fans like you and me John happy.

message 9: by Sarah (new)

Sarah Davis (keamymayloken) | 61 comments http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QOXz10...
ok this is the trailer...it looks like such crap, I am seriousely mad, I knew they couldn't do justice to the stuff we would be seeing but this is pathetic. If they dare make this a movie I will see it only when and if it goes to my dollor theater.:/

message 10: by John (last edited Sep 03, 2010 08:23PM) (new)

John (angryjohnny) | 57 comments I think the movie looks great. The animation is excellent and I'm really glad that they didn't soften it up to appease anyone. I was extremely worried that they would lose the dark and desperate feel that is the Warhammer 40k universe; but it's evident that they haven't. I have a lot of faith that Dan Abnett has put together a great story.

I would be extremely surprised if this movie went to any theater; it's most likely going to be a straight to DVD title. It's only supposed to be about 70 minutes, which is pretty short for a theater release. They have a release date set for this year, so I'm sure the project will be completed and released.

What exactly are you disappointed with? The animation looks amazing, the voice talent sounds good, Dan Abnett has written the screenplay...these are all components for a good movie in my book.

message 11: by Sarah (last edited Sep 03, 2010 09:25PM) (new)

Sarah Davis (keamymayloken) | 61 comments John let us agree to disagree:)
To me that animation...is crap. Most of the time I get all excited when I find out there will be more of something to do with warhammer, but it looked so fake, I mean fake as in lame, To me they could and should do so much better...When those guys got shot it was just lame...or maybe it's just the way Ultra-Egos get shot:P...it didn't give me the usual creepy feeling warhammer gives me, I just couldn't take it seriousely.
But I will forgive the animation, if this movie has epic music, story and voices.

message 12: by Brian (new)

Brian I had not seen that trailer before. I'd watch it. I want to know what they were fighting. I mean one shot punched through their armor like it was nothing.

message 13: by Colin (new)

Colin | 23 comments I agree to some extent with Keamy-Sarah: in the scene where the two Space Marines were talking the animation did look quite fake. Very disappointing, especially in view of all the hype that we saw on the web site concerning the facial capture technology.

The rest of the animation looked pretty good.

But the most important thing (to me) in any movie is not special effects or animation, it's not cinematography or set design, or anything like that. The one thing that a movie must have is a good story. If the story keeps me interested, I am willing to overlook any number of weaknesses in the other areas; without a good story, no amount of special effects, etc. can save the movie.

And since Dan Abnett is writing the screenplay, I am reasonably confident that I will like this movie.

Of course, we won't know for sure until it is released.

message 14: by Sarah (last edited Sep 05, 2010 12:01PM) (new)

Sarah Davis (keamymayloken) | 61 comments My problem is I was looking for this kind of animation:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y2jgqi...
After watching the ultramarines triler several times it isn't as bad but their fighting just looks lame, and I'm sorry not even the lamest of Astartes get taken down with one shot!
So I hope it comes out soon and I can see it and give a proper review.:)

message 15: by Colin (new)

Colin | 23 comments Keamy-Sarah wrote: "My problem is I was looking for this kind of animation:
After watching the ultramarines triler several times it isn't as bad but their fighting just loo..."

I took a look at your link and I agree: that is some exceptional animation.

I suppose in the end it all comes down to budget. Blizzard has a lot more money to spend than Games Workshop, and that three-minute trailer probably cost Blizzard nearly as much as GW is paying for the entire seventy-minute Ultramarines movie.

message 16: by Brian (new)

Brian I think I was getting the movie confused with the video game. I like the action on this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aFHKIF...

message 17: by Sarah (last edited Sep 05, 2010 06:17PM) (new)

Sarah Davis (keamymayloken) | 61 comments Colin wrote: "Keamy-Sarah wrote: "My problem is I was looking for this kind of animation:
After watching the ultramarines triler several times it isn't as bad but the..."

Your right, blizzard I'm sure spent as much money on the wotlk trailer as GW is spending on this whole movie...they also have more then 11 million people watching, playing and paying for there stuff...Heresy probably doesn't even have half that.
Well if the story is good I'll enjoy it.:)

message 18: by Sarah (new)

Sarah Davis (keamymayloken) | 61 comments Brian wrote: "I think I was getting the movie confused with the video game. I like the action on this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aFHKIF..."

That is really good for a game...really good.:)

message 19: by Steve (new)

Steve Chaput (stevec50) | 35 comments Sadly I'm underwhelmed by the movie trailer. If that was it.

message 20: by Brian (new)

Brian here is some more info on the movie. I have never heard of the company responsible for making it, Codex?

http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/con...

message 21: by Sarah (new)

Sarah Davis (keamymayloken) | 61 comments Blame it all on Codex..:)

message 22: by Colin (new)

Colin | 23 comments The release date has finally been announced: November 29.

And there is a new trailer on the official web site. The new trailer has a lot more action than the first one, and the action looks very good. Damn good. I-don't-know-how-I'm-going-to-wait-till-November good.

Unfortunately, however, my previous complaint regarding the facial capture animation still stands. When they are talking, it just looks fake. Oh well, maybe the movie will look better than the trailer. And, like I said before, I can overlook that if the story is good.

And we get a good look at who the Space Marines are fighting against ... it's (drum roll, please) ... no, I'm not going to tell you. Watch the trailer.

One more thing. In one of the news articles on the web site, and in the new trailer, we are told that the new movie is for fans of WH40K. And you're thinking "Well, duh!" But often when making a movie out of something that already has an established fan base, there is a tendency to try to make the movie appealing to everyone, not just the core fan base. The Lord of the Rings is an example of trying this, and succeeding; and the 2009 Star Trek movie is an example of trying it and failing miserably. It looks like GW is not even going to try. And to me, that's a good thing.

message 23: by John (new)

John (angryjohnny) | 57 comments I can't wait!

message 24: by Brian (new)

Brian Colin wrote: "The release date has finally been announced: November 29.

And there is a new trailer on the official web site. The new trailer has a lot more action than the first one, and the action looks ve..."

Colin,
Glad you didn't say who the enemy is and I went and checked it out. Looks good and great choice for enemies.

message 25: by Sarah (last edited Oct 16, 2010 11:27PM) (new)

Sarah Davis (keamymayloken) | 61 comments funny..I didn't mind the new star track:P
Anyone know if they are rateing it? and if they have what it is?
I think I'll leave who the bad guys are a mystery...hopefully that will make the story more interesting.

message 26: by Colin (new)

Colin | 23 comments Judging from the action in the two trailers, my best guess would be PG-13. For marketing reasons, I doubt that they would consent to an "R" rating, and if they were unable to get a PG-13, they would probably release the movie without a rating.

message 27: by Sarah (new)

Sarah Davis (keamymayloken) | 61 comments I between those 2 trailers can honestly say(to me)it shouldn't be R...I can't take the fighting seriously.

message 28: by John (new)

John (angryjohnny) | 57 comments If Beowulf was only rated PG-13 then this will be too...

message 29: by Alexander (new)

Alexander Draganov (darthsparhawk) | 15 comments Well, I would have prefer an Eldar movie, but I am an Eldar fanboy :)

message 30: by Sarah (new)

Sarah Davis (keamymayloken) | 61 comments This will be NC-17 in US rating....I'm really mad! I live at home I am 17 years old but as long as I live at home I am not allowed to watch NC-17 movies:/ But I guess most warhammer fans aren't teen they are adults so ya...tell me how it is I won't be seeing it for a while:(

message 31: by Alexander (new)

Alexander Draganov (darthsparhawk) | 15 comments NC-17? That's crazy. Even horror movies are usually just R and this one is an animation. Is possibly a splatter movie to get NC-17 :(

message 32: by Brian (new)

Brian I have never heard of an NC-17 animation. That is crazy. I have watched some anime that is pretty bad and it ranks only an R rating. I guess though we don't have to worry about a toned down Dark Future.

message 33: by Sarah (last edited Nov 20, 2010 11:04AM) (new)

Sarah Davis (keamymayloken) | 61 comments It is crazy and I can tell the not mellowing down the dark future where to go...
Well they animation sucked anyway.....I can't watch it because I'm under 18 and my parents wouldn't let me...I'd probably see it when I turn 18 if it was R but NC-17? I mean they'd have to be doing really really horribly disgusting things to get that rateing.
Sorry I am really self-absobed right now...no matter how disapointed I was in the trailers, I really wanted to see it:(

message 34: by John (new)

John (angryjohnny) | 57 comments Where are you finding a rating for this? Their website says it hasn't been rated for the US yet & for the UK it's only got a rating of 15+.

Personally I'd love it if it received a rating of R or NC-17; it would mean that they're not toning it down at all and were actually getting back to the roots of the feel of the background. However it would exclude a large portion of the fan base. Don't forget, the Warhammer universe has never been all fluffy and soft, it has always been a hopeless on the brink of complete annihilation struggling to survive universe. (If anything, the Warhammer universe as it is now has been toned down to allow for the younger age group.) Realistically though, it will probably get a PG-13 rating or be released w/out a rating in the US. There are a lot of younger fans of Warhammer and I would be seriously surprised if GW excluded any part of their fan base with this movie.

If the movie did some how manage to get a NC-17 rating (I seriously doubt it) it wouldn't contain anything more graphic or violent than what is is the novels; which is nothing more than you'd find in any PG-13 movie. Also, don't forget Dan Abnett wrote the screen play for it so this is essentially a Black Library novel come to life.

message 35: by Sarah (new)

Sarah Davis (keamymayloken) | 61 comments It is NC-17 or that was what I found when I searched, I would love to be wrong:)..checked offical..it's not up yet and where I was looking was unoffical....thats wierd showed up in several searches but not on the real website:/hmmm...except for Fulgrim I would honestly rate all the books at about R (Forgive me but Fulgrim was like a rated NC-17(X) movie..as much as I loved it.)

message 36: by John (new)

John (angryjohnny) | 57 comments I don't know what you were reading, but there is absolutely nothing that appears in the current fluff from the Codex, or any of the Black Library novels (including Fulgrim) that would warrant a NC-17 rating. There isn't anything in any of the Black Library books that would warrant more than a PG-13 rating, they don't even curse in the books. The worst any of the books get is describing bloodshed as a result of war or describing a daemonic appearance or saying that an artist seduces a drunkard so that she can kill him (Fulgrim), mind you there was no details or graphic description beyond that. There are more graphically detailed sexual scenes in George Orwell's 1984, and that's required reading for some high school students. Saying that the current novels from the Black Library need an R rating or even a NC-17 rating is tad on the dramatic side.

Beowulf was only PG-13 and it was fairly graphic for an animated feature. Movies that portray realistic bloodshed and violence from war like Saving Private Ryan only get an R rating and some of them only get a PG-13. Depending on how much simulated (this is only animation after all) bloodshed there is it may get an R rating but as there most likely won't be any cursing, certainly no nudity and it is animated so it can't really be considered realistic bloodshed; the PG-13 rating is the most likely in my opinion.

This is an animated feature that has a wide range of fans as far as age is concerned, I highly doubt it will get anything more than a PG-13 or a TV-14 rating depending on how they chose to release it; and realistically, being written by an author from the Black Library, I wouldn't expect any other rating.

Like I said earlier, the current Warhammer universe has been toned down and has been for a while to accommodate for the younger audiences.

As far as "unofficial" sites stating a rating, how could they provide anything other than speculation when the Official movie site doesn't have a rating for the US yet.

Also, think about it logically, why would the UK rating be 15 but the US rating be NC-17? (NC-17 is only for the most graphic and explicit content.) That doesn't even make any sense. The speculation from unofficial sites (I couldn't find anything BTW) on a rating is nothing more than simply that - speculation. Just like my opinion or any other opinion until it's officially rated and posted on http://ultramarinesthemovie.com.

message 37: by Alexander (new)

Alexander Draganov (darthsparhawk) | 15 comments John, that's nice. If the UK rating is 15, I think that in the USA it will be either PG13 or R, most likely PG13. But some of the Warhammer novels there are pretty hard stuff. In "Path of the Warrior"in once scene there was a blood rain. And in "Farseer"(these are the two novels I have read) there were some disgusting and disturbing daemons.

message 38: by Brian (new)

Brian Abnett's Space Marine novels are pretty clean. The ones that are being mentioned (ie Fulgrim) were written by other authors. He has had the random "s-word" here and there but usually said by the Imperail Guardsmen, big shocker. In Legion he changed the "F-bomb" to a dialectic word specific to the Genos. Language aside (because I am pretty sure in some of the newer YA/teen movies they say these things at least once) it really comes down to violence and here I agree with John. GW is not going to alienate a large segment of their buyers. Many of the younger viewers wont be reads of the books, but players of the hobby and will just want some good old violence. In the end as I think John will agree GW likes to make money (Warhammer Fantasy Battles is in its 8th edition, 5 terminator miniatures cost $50) so they will push for a PG-13 rating. But really all we can do is wait and see.

message 39: by John (last edited Nov 21, 2010 06:29AM) (new)

John (angryjohnny) | 57 comments @Darth: I haven't read Path of the Warrior or Farseer yet so I guess I shouldn't say there's nothing in the current Black Library novels that would warrant anything more than a PG-13.

I'd still be really surprised if it did get anything more than a PG-13. It could get a R rating I suppose depending on how much and how graphic the animated violence is; but I doubt it.

I'm just like everyone else though, I haven't seen it yet so I can't judge it until I do. The official site has yet to post a US rating for it so it's all just speculation and hearsay until they do. We'll just have to wait and see; and I for one, can't wait!

@Brian: I absolutely agree; GW want's to make money from this project, (and there is nothing wrong with that) so they're going to make it available to as many viewers as they can.

message 40: by Colin (new)

Colin | 23 comments MY MOVIE ARRIVED LAST NIGHT!!!!!!!

So now that I have seen the movie, what do I think?

My biggest complaint against the movie is that the DVD skips a lot. Very annoying. I am going to try it on a different DVD player before I send it back.

Remember my previous comment about how fake the facial expressions look when the characters are talking? Yeah, having seen the whole movie, it still looks fake.

Other than that, the animation is good. It's not the best I've ever seen in my life, but it's good. I have no complaints about the animation (other than the facial expressions).

The artwork is incredible, stunning, beautiful (in an ugly sort of way).

The story (which is the most important part of any movie) is a good one, but compared to other Abnett stories it is rather simple and straight-forward. It reminds me of a short story rather than a novel.

The bottom line: If you are a die-hard WH40K fan, the sort of person who eats, sleeps, and breathes WH40K, and you are expecting some sort of life-changing, "OMG that's the best movie I've ever seen" experience, you will be disappointed.

On the other hand, if you are looking for a good sci-fi action flick that compares favorably with any other straight-to-DVD release, then this is the movie for you.

BTW, the US version is rated R for "strong, bloody violence".

message 41: by Alexander (new)

Alexander Draganov (darthsparhawk) | 15 comments It's a solid movie. Not terribly original, but atmospheric and gritty. The demon was very cool.

message 42: by Sarah (new)

Sarah Davis (keamymayloken) | 61 comments Debating if I should get it...my friend told me he put it as one of the worst movies of the year.:/
Darth...I may see it because there is a deamon in it as long as it wins!

message 43: by Alexander (new)

Alexander Draganov (darthsparhawk) | 15 comments Can't you borrow it?

message 44: by Sarah (new)

Sarah Davis (keamymayloken) | 61 comments hmmm I live in a really small town but I can check around and see I hope so:-)

message 46: by Sarah (new)

Sarah Davis (keamymayloken) | 61 comments :-( crap I just moved and I am now 6 hours from all these places ugh:/