College Students! discussion

books, books, and more books! > How Much Do you Guys spend on Books?

Comments Showing 1-11 of 11 (11 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Krish (last edited Jun 17, 2010 01:43PM) (new)

Krish Gonzalez | 11 comments Hey guys, I'm new here so not sure if this has been discussed but I was just wondering how much do you spend on books? I have a whole lot of books lining my shelfs not ot mention boxes of books which I cannot fit. They are a mixture of old, second hand, gifts, books bought on Amazon and those bought in book shops amassed over a decade. I dare not count or try to guess how much I have spent on books- but I do tend to end up buying about 2-4 a month.

What about you guys?

message 2: by Jamie (The Perpetual Page-Turner), The Founding Bookworm (new)

Jamie (The Perpetual Page-Turner) (perpetualpageturner) | 4407 comments Mod
Oh goodness. I don't even want to know how much I have. I was really bad for a while when I first came on Goodreads in 2008 and was spending insane amounts. But I've calmed down (if you can even say that lol) and try to buy used or do Paperbackswap.

I probably am around the same figure of 2-4 a month although I've been good for the past 4 months and haven't purchased any because I have no where to fit them without invading all the other rooms in my house.

message 3: by Kimberly (new)

Kimberly (kimberlywithat) | 2140 comments Oi. I'm not sure if I even want to count up how much I've spent. But I own a lot of books, and I have a nook so I buy ebooks too. Except for my car payments I probably spend more on books a month than anything else. I probably buy at least 3 books a month.

message 4: by Jen (new)

Jen (wishesandwanderlust) | 696 comments I probably buy at least 3 or 4 books a month...it's an addiction! I buy them faster than I can read them!

message 5: by Jess (new)

Jess I probably buy 3-4 books a year (with the exception of school books). I'm a very frequent library patron (of both my alma mater's library and various branches in my area). I also use PaperBackSwap or borrow from friends.

message 6: by Kelly (new)

Kelly | 308 comments I probably get 2-4 a month also, but I hardly ever buy from a bookstore at regular cost. I get mine through paperbackswap, book sales in my area (which they have like once a month through different libraries), or the library. Buying them at regular cost is just to much for me. I also use to get a bunch on ebay before I found out about paperbackswap. I still have way to many books to count, even though I'm a bargain hunter!

message 7: by Amy (new)

Amy (signgirlamy) I have a book buying problem. I'd say I buy anywhere from 1-6 books a month, just depending on what's coming out that month and how many times I go to the bookstore. I can't go into a bookstore and not buy a book.

Usually I'll place myself in a "book buying ban" and won't go to bookstores to get anything. Then I'll read 3-4 of my books and start feeling nervous because I only have 55 unread books at home. So then I'll go to B&N and buy 5 books. It's a vicious cycle.

I've been pretty good this month (only buying 2 books), but I have to go to B&N sometime this month to renew my membership. Maybe I can just walk to the front counter and get that taken care of? Probably not.

message 8: by Jessie (new)

Jessie (Jessie08) | 128 comments I'm like most of you and I only buy 2 to 4 books a month. However, other than having shelves full of books I haven't read, I don't feel too bad about it because I mostly only buy used books which are very cheap! I usually only buy a new book if it is brand new and I won't be able to find it at a used store yet.

message 9: by Krish (new)

Krish Gonzalez | 11 comments Yeah I also tend to buy books when I'm down etc, sort of like comfort reading, I guess. It can become an expensive hobby, if you let it.

message 10: by Lori (new)

Lori Walker Honestly, I don't even want to think about how much I spend/have spent in the past 4 years on books. I know it's a lot. Particularly after I started college, my book-buying got way out of hand. Hardly a month went by without an order of at least $25 from Amazon arriving, as well as a couple of buys at Borders. I am out of shelf space and I won't be working a lot of hours over the summer, so my book buying needs to cease or at the very least drastically slow down.

message 11: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (sarahsaysread) Oh man, I buy books all the time. I go to the library once and week and usually end up buying books in the used bookstore. I get paperbackswap books whenever they become available on my wishlist. I buy a book (or two, or three...) every time I go to a bookstore. Sometimes I go the bookstore ONLY because I get a good coupon in my email, which is once or twice a week...

For June, I've probably bought about a dozen books, totaling around $30 or so. And this was actually a tame month for me...