Augusten Burroughs Fans discussion

Favorite Augusten story..

Comments Showing 1-18 of 18 (18 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Lara (new)

Lara (shadyvendetta) | 9 comments Mod
Here's the place to share your fave A.B. story! Let us know why it's your favorite and what makes it so "special"!

message 2: by Corinne (new)

Corinne (u_had2bethere) | 18 comments Mod
I don't think I could choose an absolute favorite story...there are just too many great ones!! But the top two for me are definitely The Rat Thing and Druggy Debby. The first time I read The Rat Thing I could not stop laughing at the things that were going thru Augusten's head as the rat was in the bath tub. I'm picturing it all like a movie of course. And Druggy Debby...what can I say? Anybody who would throw a bloody tampon at a group of a-holes is a-ok with me!!!!!!!!!!!!

message 3: by Andrea (new)

Andrea (aconnell9) | 1 comments I really loved the one about the advertising campaign that he was working on for Junior Mints. I went to a book signing at Columbus Circle after the Running with Scissors movie came out and asked him to sign my copy: Have you reached your mint threshold? He looked at me like the Dr. Pepper enema lady...

message 4: by Lori (new)

Lori Anderson (lorianderson) I emailed him once to tell him how much I liked one of his books and he immediately emailed back -- I was star-struck! He seemed like a really cool person in that little exchange. Would love to get a book autographed -- Andrea, your story is hilarious!

I love all his stuff, for various reasons.

message 5: by Corinne (new)

Corinne (u_had2bethere) | 18 comments Mod
Oh. My. God. That's hilarious!!! I totally forgot about the Dr. Pepper enema lady! That's another classic. I would absoultely LOVE to go to a book signing but he never comes around to my area...then again, I live in BFE...

message 6: by Leah (new)

Leah (sleepyjean12) | 1 comments Yea I love Druggy Debbie. but But BUT we cannot forget about the first story in Possible Side Effects. The Tooth Fairy. Any kid that believes Jesus's middle name is 'Fucking...' That's just great. And I love The Masterbatorium in Running With Scissors.

XDK

message 7: by Rebecca (new)

Rebecca (rebeccajaffe) | 1 comments I have so many favorite stories but Dry was my favorite book he's written- its dripping with sarcasm and you can feel how uncomfortable and irritated he is with circumstances. "So far, mental health sucks." LOL!

message 8: by Lauren (new)

Lauren (nerual) | 1 comments The Rat Thing and Holy Blow Job are on my top favorite, by far. But then there's Ass Burger which was pretty hilarious, too. I guess that would take 3rd place lol.

message 9: by Tara (new)

Tara (taratee) | 4 comments Hey All-Glad to have stumbled upon this group!

I just finished Possible Side Effects on the plane to Vegas. I know the other passengers thought I was crazy. In the span of 4 hrs, I laughed and snorted, sniffled and whimpered, and gasped things out loud like a Turret's sufferer.

I think I preferred Magical Thinking to PSE, though. It was my first AB book and I was smitten! I guess everyone's partial to their "first".

One of my favorites was from MT. I forget the story title but it was about his family trip to the Breaker's and he wouldn't leave b/c he honestly believed he'd been abducted. Who can't identify with having similar thoughts as a child?! "Who ARE these people?!, They just don't 'get' me!, Was there some sort of clerical error at the Hospital?". . . He just has a heightened, vivid, and HYSTERICAL memory from which to spin a story. He kills me. . .

message 10: by Lara (new)

re: Tara's favorites...

I am LAUGHING SO HARD!!!! The "Who ARE these people?!, They just don't 'get' me!, Was there some sort of clerical error at the Hospital?" thing is HYSTERICAL!!!! HAHAHAHA I forgot ALL about that!!! Thanks for the chuckle, er i mean BELLY LAUGH!! LOL

message 11: by Babette (new)

Babette | 10 comments Possible Side Effects/Augusten Burroughs I loved his story of traveling to London and not being able to leave his hotel room except for munchies. nd his comment after being sideswiped by a Royal Mail truck on a Saturday night--how the postal worker shouldn't he be at home depressed drunk and homicidal like ours?" I was in a class recently and the teacher had a copy of David Sedaris' latest memoir. I brought him my copy of "Possible Side Effects" the next day and said this is the equivalent of The NY Times taking his book and tossing it into the out box on his desk and with terrible drama queen act told him what he was reading was the equivalent of the National Inquirer.

That jerk never gave my book back either.

message 12: by Tara (new)

Tara (taratee) | 4 comments oohh, Babette! I loved that one as well!!! I read portions of it aloud to my husband-we were cracking up! Love your NYT/Inquirer analogy! Priceless!

message 13: by Lara (new)

Well since we're on the subject of ILLUMINATION, could someone please enlighten ME on just what a SWENGALI is? Just wonderin'!!

message 14: by Jarrod (new)

Jarrod (jarrodrondeau) | 1 comments the first burroughs story i ever read was "debbie's requirements" from magical thinking. a friend recommended the book to me, and i was not reading much at the time, so i decided to give it a try. i have no idea why i chose that specific entry to read first, but i am glad that i did. i found myself hysterically laughing on public transportation, being stared and not even realizing that i was laughing out loud since my headphones were in as well. after that, i was hooked, and always recommend the same section to friends as their first read. to me, it's a no-contest answer.

message 15: by [deleted user] (new)

"Magical Thinking" the story about the Tang commercial. It re-read it 3 times!

message 16: by Adrienne (new)

Adrienne (christinadlc) | 4 comments My favorite story is when he had the encounter with the wax Santa in You Better Not Cry. I did laugh out loud. Everything he thought in that moment was complex, but the urges were so child-like. Gosh, he's hilarious!

message 17: by Adrienne (new)

Adrienne (christinadlc) | 4 comments My favorite story is when he had the encounter with the wax Santa in You Better Not Cry. I did laugh out loud. Everything he thought in that moment was complex, but the urges were so child-like. Gosh, he's hilarious!

message 18: by Rita (new)

Rita Gray | 1 comments In the book Wolf at the Table...I love when he calls his father 'dead' instead of dad.