The Mighty Pen Writing Club discussion

Comments Showing 1-50 of 83 (83 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by ★ Jess (new)

★ Jess Titles are very important, but they are often one of the hardest aspects of a novel to get correct.
At first glance, along with the cover, a title is what catches attention. For example: isnt the title The Time Traveler's Guide to Medieval England: A Handbook for Visitors to the Fourteenth Century pretty darn fascinating?
Is your title miraculous? Will it catch our attention and draw us in?
Post some of your titles here and see what others think!
*no stealing*

message 2: by Kara (new)

Kara (kara_writes) | 6 comments lol I don't think thats "pretty darn fascinating"...

message 3: by Jordan (new)

Jordan (flyinglogicmonkey) | 54 comments I do...it looks awesome :)

message 4: by Kara (last edited Jun 17, 2010 02:46AM) (new)

Kara (kara_writes) | 6 comments hmmm Sometimes its worse when you over do it...

message 5: by Jordan (new)

Jordan (flyinglogicmonkey) | 54 comments Gremlin Girl wrote: "hmmm Sometimes its worse when you over do it..."

Elaborate? :)

message 6: by Kara (new)

Kara (kara_writes) | 6 comments yes, exacly.
My titles are normally simple :P

message 7: by Hope (new)

Hope (heyhopeful) | 42 comments Ooh, I like your titles, Booklover!

Titles are so hard for me... *sigh* Most of my novels don't have an official title yet..

message 8: by Arch (new)

Arch  | 90 comments A title doesn't moves me. A lot of books have the same title. I'm interested in a good story. I love catchers.

I can come up with titles. It depends on what theme I am writing about, what my title will be.

My titles aren't anything.

- Trespassing
- Courage
- Destiny
- His Bodyguard

I tend to have unique hero and heroine's names.

For example: My hero's name in Trespassing is Helicopter, but he goes by Cop for short.

In Courage, my heorine's name is Chocolate.

message 9: by Poindextεrr. (new)

Poindextεrr. (carpe_diem) | 24 comments My titles are usually one-worded and vague. Like the title would actually be used in the story maybe once, if ever.

message 10: by [deleted user] (new)

i dont like thinking of titles in the beginning i like to wait til im done and am actually sure and can pull it from anything in the story

message 11: by Poindextεrr. (new)

Poindextεrr. (carpe_diem) | 24 comments Yeah I like doing that too.

message 12: by Jamie (new)

Jamie (Jamie1Elizabeth) I like interesting titles....they tend to draw me to the book first.

Amelia, free market Puritan (aeimaginer12) I have the worst time coming up with titles!
Glad to know it's not just me.
Sometimes, though, you can't really know a good title until your draft is finished, because the title could come from a passage or quote that you've written.
I abbreviate all my WIPs by category -

HF
U/M F
PHF
HF-W

and sometimes I have "working titles" that are just tentative. In fact, two of my "working titles" are actually the same as other published books: LUCKY and SHADOWMANCER - which I did *not* do on purpose :S

message 14: by Hope (last edited Jun 18, 2010 08:46AM) (new)

Hope (heyhopeful) | 42 comments I have "working titles" too, Amelia! It takes a long time for me to decide on an official title.

I do have, however, currently 2 official titles.
But they're for the 2 stories I haven't been working on as much... :P

message 15: by Kara (new)

Kara (kara_writes) | 6 comments What are they called?

message 16: by Poindextεrr. (new)

Poindextεrr. (carpe_diem) | 24 comments Hey, whatever works for you. I tried it that way a couple of times but the title changed so many times that I gave up.

message 17: by Ayunda (new)

Ayunda (ayundabs) my book title is not too interesting. even the subject's not interesting :) I get troubles making titles. I usually make them last. It's so hard to decide the proper one!!

Some catchy book titles:
- A Great and Terrible Beauty
- The Man Who Loved Books too Much
- Where the Wild Things Are

message 18: by [deleted user] (new)

I've read a Great and Terrible Beauty. true, the title captured me above all.
My books' titles huh?
-The Heart Seeker (my MC, who's killer I suppose so far, calls herself the Heart Seeker as she tears open her victims' chest to see if they have a heart to replace hers - because she's growing "cold")
- The Angel Lock and tears (short stories)
-Bitter Chocolate
-Rose torn (or "rose thorn"... dunno...)

Amelia, free market Puritan (aeimaginer12) The funny thing is, I usually have a really hard time with titles, but for some reason all 3 titles for my dystopian trilogy (which I havent even STARTED yet) just came to me like *that*
Weird!

message 20: by Jo (new)

Jo I am having real trouble thinking of a title for my novel. I have a few possibles but they all sounds boring. Nothing that would make it stand out.

message 21: by Hope (new)

Hope (heyhopeful) | 42 comments Gremlin Girl wrote: "What are they called?"

Here are my two titles:

"The Cube"
and
"Indigo Eyes"

I usually go with pretty simplistic titles.

message 22: by Jo (new)

Jo I love Indigo Eyes for a title. It's beautiful!

message 23: by Hope (new)

Hope (heyhopeful) | 42 comments Thank you! :)

message 24: by Jo (new)

Jo Amber wrote: "Jo wrote: "I am having real trouble thinking of a title for my novel. I have a few possibles but they all sounds boring. Nothing that would make it stand out."

What is your novel about?"

It's a post apocalyptic novel set 2 years after a disease comes along and wipes out most of the population.

message 25: by ★ Jess (new)

★ Jess Well i have no idea. Obviously, a title is hard to think of if you dont know the whole plot.

message 26: by Arch (new)

Arch  | 90 comments Booklover23 wrote: "Well i have no idea. Obviously, a title is hard to think of if you dont know the whole plot."

That's true for some writers.

I want to add that maybe it's hard for some writers to come up with titles, if they don't know what theme they want to write about too.

message 27: by Jo (new)

Jo I know the theme for mine and it still doesn't help.

message 28: by Arch (new)

Arch  | 90 comments Maybe this can help writers.

Come up with titles and then later try to match them to stories you want to write.

message 29: by Hope (new)

Hope (heyhopeful) | 42 comments Jo wrote: "Amber wrote: "It's a post apocalyptic novel set 2 years after a disease comes along and wipes out most of the population."

What's the disease called? Is it a real disease or a made up one? Was it engineered by the government or did it occur naturally? You could use the name of the disease for a title, especially if it's not a "real" disease. It could be cool.

message 30: by ★ Jess (new)

★ Jess Or, a nickname for the disease.
If there is no slang, nickname-you could make one up that is referd to a few times.

message 31: by Jo (new)

Jo The disease doesn't have a name. The story is more concentrated on the charatcers rather than the event. It all happened so fast that no one really knows anything and they have no way to find out. They just survived and are stuck in this situation where they have to survive. At the beginning they are safe, but it soon goes wrong. I was thinking maybe The Illusion of Safety. What do you guy think?

Amelia, free market Puritan (aeimaginer12) that's certainly a catchy title

message 33: by Jo (new)

Jo It's the best i have come up with so far.

message 34: by Hope (last edited Jul 05, 2010 09:29AM) (new)

Hope (heyhopeful) | 42 comments Or you could just go with "The Illusion." But I like yours. :)

message 35: by Jo (new)

Jo Thanks guys :)

message 36: by ★ Jess (new)

★ Jess I would pick up THE ILLUSION OF SAFTEY over just THE ILLUSION any day.
Its a great title!

message 37: by Jo (new)

Jo Thanks :)

message 38: by Hannah (new)

Hannah Nikka (hannahashworth) I can't decide between these two below. The story is about a family learning to move on, and there are references and symbolism that connects to dandelions. They're really important throughout the story.

Titles:
"Make A Wish"
or
"How to Blow"

Make A Wish is pretty explanatory. It's dandelions. The main character's parents have both been murdered by the same killer on the same day. Her and her siblings need to move on. The Make A Wish phrase is really simple, compared the the second one.

The second one is How to Blow. Basically, it's symbolism. It's really saying "how to move on". By the end, the children learn how to blow the petals away on the dandelion. In other words, they learn how to blow away their past so they can look forward to the future.

Confusing, I know. Or at least, it can be. What do you think? Make A Wish is really simple, but How to Blow is too poetic to not think about.

message 39: by Amelia, free market Puritan (last edited Jul 13, 2010 08:22PM) (new)

Amelia, free market Puritan (aeimaginer12) Umm, the first one is really good.
To be honest, the first thing I thought of when I saw the second title was drugs (like the movie BLOW, for example, or just because the word is a synonym for cocaine).
That may just be me, though, but I did notice that right away.

message 40: by Jo (new)

Jo I agree, the first one fits best in my opinion.

message 41: by Jess (new)

Jess | 104 comments Yeah, I like Make A Wish best too.

message 42: by ★ Jess (new)

★ Jess Yeah, i agree with Amelia.
Sorry!

message 43: by Erin (new)

Erin | 11 comments "How to Blow" sounds like a self-help book. ;) "First, you fill your cheeks with air...then release, being sure to keep your heart rate steady and elevated, though not leaving Zone 1...and relax." Hahaha! Sorry.

But the other day, Jess and I were trying to come up with a title for the book she's writing with her friend. It was not going anywhere. Then, inspiration (bad inspiration! It didn't help!) struck, and I was like, "If it was just your part of the story, you could call it "Enchantress". Then we were bummed because it sounded cool, but we couldn't use it because it wasn't just her part. :/ Any ideas, anyone? I'm not as good at writing (Not by a long shot) as Jess, but here's a synopsis:

Shay (written by Jess's friend) and Cassi (written by Jess) are best friends living on Chincoteague Island, Virginia. Cassi's dad decides to send Cassi to a boarding school in France named "L'ermitage", while Shay stays at home. So Cassi and Shay decide to email each other, and keep them up-to-date on what's happening in their lives. Soon Cassi makes a best friend, Alex, and Shay's foreign exchange student/new employee at her family's B&B in charge of the ponies arrives, and teases her mercilessly. But as Alex and Michael (the exchange student) befriend Cassi and Shay, magic comes out to play.

Urrg, that really sucked, but that's basically what it's about. Here's Jess's synopsis of her part (Reagan, Jess's friend, hasn't written one, to my knowledge): (This is from her blog, by the way):

As August rolls around Cassandra decides to enjoy the very last of summer vacation as much as possible. For her this means shopping with her mom and riding her ponies with her best friend, Shay. Unfortunately, her dad has other ideas. Now Cassandra’s on her way to Paris, where she’ll go to a boarding school. At least she has Pierre, the very cute boy who lives in the same house as her, and his roommate, Alex. But Alex wants to teach her more than just math. With Alex by her side, life at L’Ermitage becomes…magical.

Urrg, why couldn't I get the writing talent??? There are unfair things in life... ;) (I'm whining for fun, please don't take me seriously... :)

message 44: by Jess (new)

Jess | 104 comments Falsehoods, Erin. You could write if you tried. And I still can't figure out a title.

message 45: by Shush231 (last edited Jul 20, 2010 02:58AM) (new)

Shush231 | 31 comments how about the title "Exhale" ... too cleche?

message 46: by ★ Jess (last edited Aug 13, 2011 06:49AM) (new)

★ Jess sorry, but i dont like HOW TO BLOW after thinking about it. Good intentions, but honestly: It makes me think of drugs (as Amelia said) and.... (dont judge me, i have go to school at a very sick minded place) ...and a form of sexual intercourse.

So im sorry, i liked the other title better. BUt even that was a little...plain? NO offense.
Hey, im just trying to help out.

message 47: by ★ Jess (new)

★ Jess thank goodness im not the only sick minded person.
*phew*

message 48: by ★ Jess (last edited Jul 21, 2010 11:41PM) (new)

★ Jess Amber, trust me though: i sure didnt know what it meant when i was your age :)

Darn, i feel so old, even though im barely a year older then her.

message 49: by ★ Jess (new)

★ Jess I found it out mid-way through year 8. When i was about 6 months away from turning 14 :S

message 50: by ★ Jess (new)

★ Jess I wish i didnt know now as well!

But alas (did i just say that!?!?!) there is one phrase im positive you dont know, that i do :S
And i really, really wish i hadnt.
I was told at school
But, i guess thats better then what my friend Alicia did.
She heard us talking about it. We wouldn't tell her what it was.
So she googled it. Images.
Eeew. Just ew :(

« previous 1