SOS: Serious Overload of Series discussion

This, That or the Other > Paperback v. Audiobook v. eBook

Comments Showing 1-50 of 104 (104 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3

message 1: by Steph, Serious series addict (new)

Steph (angel4492) | 29056 comments Ah, yes, the ongoing, every groups' got one, topic of the battle between book types. :)

Which do you prefer? Recently switched to one or the other? Never gonna stop buying paperback/hardcovers?

message 2: by Steph, Serious series addict (last edited Jun 16, 2010 08:58PM) (new)

Steph (angel4492) | 29056 comments Me?

I mix it up. I'm an in for a penny in for a pound girl. I like 'um all!

- I probably will never be able to stop buying paper/hardcover books. But, as I've mentioned, space is a serious issue for me these days, so I am trying very hard to be better about choosing which books I buy.

- A yr or more ago, I started in with eBooks and can't stop that either. I'm addicted and carry my iTouch EVERYwhere and read bits whenever I have a minute (literally! like in the car when hubby's gone silent, waiting in line, on eternal hold on the phone ...)

- This year has been all about audiobooks for me. Some narrators seem to make a book better and some drive me crazy. But, it's a great way to "read" a book while doing other tasks around the house or driving.

DarkHeart "Vehngeance" (darkheart) | 82 comments Like you, Steph, I dabble in them all. Paper/hardback books are my true love, and I won't stop buying those. However, as long as they have a good narrator, I have found that I love audiobooks for rereading my favorites, and for a couple of series in general (Dresden Files and Hunger Games are two series that I've never read in the traditional format, just really enjoyed the audio). As for ebooks, that's a collection of mine that continues to go. My husband bought me a Sony Touch for Christmas and I've loaded it up with freebies and it's great for authors with small publishers (this is especially true for m/m authors).

So, basically, I love them all! =)

message 4: by Laura Lulu (new)

Laura Lulu (lauralulu) | 1603 comments I'm mostly a regular book & audiobook chick, but I recently bought a couple ebooks and am going to try them out on my iphone.

And I am also super picky about my audiobook narrators. James Marsters doing the Harry Dresdens is my fave, but another good one is the woman who does the Mercy Thompsons.

message 5: by Kindlelicious (new)

Kindlelicious | 39 comments If you couldn't tell by my alias, I am completely obsessed with ebooks. I can't stand dealing with regular books now. There is something about being able to rest my kindle on my lap and have my hands free to drink wine or whatever else. But all the recent ebook drama is really starting to annoy me. I just can't stomach paying more for a ebook than the paperback version. But hopefully it will all work out soon. I do like audiobooks though, so great for road trips!

message 6: by Steph, Serious series addict (new)

Steph (angel4492) | 29056 comments I completely agree - the narrator makes all the difference! I've read a few where the reader bugged the ever-lovin'-crap outta me. I think it influenced my overall rating of the book(s) too. :(

Some series/narrators I love and will continue to listen to, if possible:
Fever, BDB, Sookie, Mercy, Kate Daniels & Edge

I bought a bunch of audiobooks for those series that I've already read, but would like to re-read/listen to.

I have actually listened to more BDB books than I've read. Easier to zone out a bit on the Lesser scenes and more vavavoom on the sex scenes. LOL!

@DH, how's the Sony eReader? I haven't broken down to buy a sep reader since, so far, Stanza + iTouch have worked well for me. Does the Sony have back lighting? That's a must for me, since I read most of my eBooks in bed at night. I know the Kindle doesn't and that's one major reason I haven't bought one of those.

@Laura, I'll be interested to hear how you like reading on your iPhone. I use my iTouch and love it.

@Kindlelicious, I agree, eBooks shouldn't cost more than paperbacks. Esp if part of the cost is for the materials, binding, etc.

message 7: by AH (new)

AH | 2271 comments For me, there is nothing better than the hunt for new and used books. I love to have a book in my hand. That said, I recently got an ereader and I love it, especially when the book is big and heavy. I also use it to read all those freebie stories out there because I hate sitting in front of a computer all day.

Also, love how the ereader just fits into a purse and does not add much weight.

The cost of ebooks is an annoyance. I mean, sometimes the hardcovers are cheaper, for example, the Bree Tanner book listed in Canada for 12.99 ebook, and in the store was selling for less than 8.99 and you can read it online for FREE. DO THEY THINK WE'RE STUPID?

I have only tried audio books for kids - we used to listen to Jason Two Two and the Hooded Fang(CBC production) on audio in the car (it was like the kids were not in the car with us), but I find the price a little too steep.

message 8: by Laura Lulu (new)

Laura Lulu (lauralulu) | 1603 comments Steph, I've never listened to a sex scene on audio--well, not a full on BDB-type one, at least. But I don't think I would like it. For the few Harry glossed-over sex scenes, I felt uncomfortable, like I was a voyeur listening to James Marsters do someone. Lol.

message 9: by Literary Ames (new)

Literary Ames (amyorames) | 1854 comments I didn't start listening to audio books until a few months ago but I had to stop because I was getting through them too quickly and they are e-x-p-e-n-s-i-v-e! I was mostly listening to YA because it was easy to follow while I was at work. This also I meant that I didn't encounter any sex scenes, lol!

Ebooks are mostly an instant-gratification-fix but I get eye-strain and headaches (with both my laptop and my phone) so I try not read these one after another. I sprinkle them in amongst my PBKs. I'll probably get a proper e-reader once the tech has been refined a bit and the pricing issues are sorted out.

Paperbacks are where it's at for me but I have a space issue now too. Steph, you're idea of donating some to the library may end up being part of my solution, no matter how painful it will be.

DarkHeart "Vehngeance" (darkheart) | 82 comments Steph - I love my reader, but no, it isn't backlit. I don't think any of the purpose built ereaders are, because it's the light from the screen that gives the eye strain that Amy suffers from when she reads off of her phone and computer. I wouldn't write them off because of the lack of light, as they make a number of covers for the different readers with built in lights.

message 11: by Jackie M (new)

Jackie M | 695 comments I do all three. I I love them all three equally!

message 12: by Steph, Serious series addict (last edited Jun 21, 2010 01:54AM) (new)

Steph (angel4492) | 29056 comments Hm, I might have to reconsider then, DarkHeart. It's just that book lights general tend to keep my hubby awake at night, that's why I love the iTouch reader I use. But, I dim it and have it set on "night view" which has a darker background. I've found it's easier on my night-eyes and doesn't bother me. But, I can see how it might for some.

:( Ames. Good luck on your space issue, maybe some creative book shelving? If not, the library will thank you for your donation. That (space) has definitely forced me into more e & audio books. I will never stop buying paperbacks though, just don't see it happenin'.

LOL Laura LuLu! I can see how it'd feel like that. I'm still gigglin' over your comment. I guess I'm just so into the book that I don't think about the reader but the yummy characters ... >:) Every so often though I did wonder what Ward's audiobook narrator's wife (or significant other) must think about the lines he has to read for those books. "Oh honey, you promised ... say it again, but like Ms. Ward wrote it!" hehehe

message 13: by Literary Ames (new)

Literary Ames (amyorames) | 1854 comments I did the creative book shelving thing a couple of weeks ago. I've got double rows on each shelf plus some squeezed in at the top. Now I could wait a couple of months before I hit the red zone again then it'll be off to the library.

message 14: by Steph, Serious series addict (new)

Steph (angel4492) | 29056 comments LMAO!!! I was the same way. At our last two posts we had semi-large bookcases which allowed me to do the same creative shelving (just get in there, I don't care if I can read the title or not .. just FIT!). Now though, we were issued these pathetic 2 1/2 (yes, 1/2 b/c what the *&^%$ can fit on that thing?!) shelves, so I'm struggling and the red zone has come and gone. I'm already having issues again, or at least starting to. :( Alice, please, may I have some of your shrinking drops for my books?! Thanks! LOL!

message 15: by Literary Ames (new)

Literary Ames (amyorames) | 1854 comments Lol, Alice could make some serious cash from us book hoarders!

message 16: by Steph, Serious series addict (new)

Steph (angel4492) | 29056 comments No joke, right?! Someone ask Mr. Carroll for the recipe and let's start makin' some! It was my idea, so I get ... 50% of the profits, ya'll can fight over the remaining 50%, how's that? **looking for patent office ph# as we speak ... oh wait, what time is it in the US?!** LOL!

message 17: by GinBee (new)

GinBee (jennymbee) | 34 comments Amy or "Ames" wrote: "I did the creative book shelving thing a couple of weeks ago. I've got double rows on each shelf plus some squeezed in at the top. Now I could wait a couple of months before I hit the red zone agai..."

My bookshelf looks a lot like that! Needless to say I tend to buy paperbacks! I'm sampling a few ebooks at the moment, on my PC and all free! Yet to try audiobooks though.

message 18: by Steph, Serious series addict (new)

Steph (angel4492) | 29056 comments Jen, there are some awesome audiobook narrators that really make listening to them a joy. You should give one a go and see how you like it. Maybe borrow one from your library as a trial v. buying, in case you end up not liking it much.

message 19: by Regina (new)

Regina (reginar) | 2883 comments I definitely prefer ebook. But if a book is one of my favorites and the performer is good, I will listen/buy/borrow to the audio book also.

As far as my paper books go, I give alot away -- to friends or on freecycle. With ebooks I don't have to worry about space! Amazon saves them for me. Which is nice, b/c then my husband doesn't know how many books I am acquiring. ;)

message 20: by Steph, Serious series addict (new)

Steph (angel4492) | 29056 comments Welcome Regina! :)

LOL eBook hider!

message 21: by Regina (new)

Regina (reginar) | 2883 comments Lol. Thanks!

message 22: by Mary C (new)

Mary C (marymaryalwayscontrary) | 2489 comments I'm primarily a print girl because I'm not a rereader and so I like to be able to trade them when I'm done. I probably won't switch to an ereader until the books come way down in price or they come up with some sort of Neftlix type service for ebooks. Not when I can find print books for free at the library or .25-1.00 at thrift stores. If I'm goign to pay $10 for a new book I want to be able to trade it after I'm done. I never see much that I'm interested in reading in the free ebooks (except for what my library has paid for).

I do occassionally get an ebook from fictionwise or the libray and read it on my laptop

I love audiobooks and prefer to get the CDs when I can. I prefer CDS because I can load them onto my IPOP and then keep the CDS in the car for when I'm driving around and don't have to take my IPOD with me. I did have an audible subrscription for awhile. I closed it recently because I had amassed quite a collection of audiobooks. My library system here has a huge selection of audiobooks.

message 23: by Steph, Serious series addict (new)

Steph (angel4492) | 29056 comments Your point about eBooks is certainly understandable. I don't understand why they aren't all cheaper than paperbacks. Oh well.

It's nice when you are near a a library with a good selection of books and audio.

Lizz (Beer, Books and Boos) | 1193 comments I like both paperbacks and audio books. When you are on a long road trip you can listen to audio books and to me that makes the trip go faster.

message 25: by Steph, Serious series addict (new)

Steph (angel4492) | 29056 comments Agreed! Audiobooks are GREAT for road trips! :)

message 26: by Joanne (new)

Joanne (needsun) | 60 comments And sorting laundry and cooking and walking the dogs and and and...lol

message 27: by Steph, Serious series addict (new)

Steph (angel4492) | 29056 comments Absolutely!

message 28: by Judithe, Soap Operas never end.... (new)

Judithe | 6408 comments I have an e-book question...how does the page numbering compare to a regular paperback? I read one today that was short...but was trying to figure out how short it actually is!

If anyone has an idea, let me know!

message 29: by Regina (new)

Regina (reginar) | 2883 comments It al depends on size of the screen and how you have adjusted the font. If you are asking if they are abridged versions - typically they are not.

message 30: by ஐAndreaஐ (new)

ஐAndreaஐ (rosesrrblue) I have a serious book addiction. I carry my e-book with my everywhere, and read in lines at stop lights or anytime I'm doing anykind of waiting. But I still love the book store and always end up buying books paper/hardback. I listen to audiobooks at work and when I go out for walks and do housework.

Awesomevegan (AKA JenReads) (awesomevegan) | 468 comments I read mostly on my Kindle. I have some series in paper because I collect them in paper (Twilight, Sookie and also Cornielia Funke who is not available on Kindle. She wrote Inkheart.) or some odd books from pre-Kindle or the thrift store.

Certain other books like cookbooks I prefer in paper since they just make more sense that way!

I love audiobooks for public domain classics and like to read along on my Kindle while I listen. I am doing that with Wuthering Heights. I am distracted by Linger though LOL (on Kindle)

Overall Kindle is my favorite way to read. If anyone is wondering I get my public domain audiobooks for free through Librivox. I hope to volunteer soon but I need a good headset. Any recommendations? They are always looking for new volunteers. :)

message 32: by Mary C (new)

Mary C (marymaryalwayscontrary) | 2489 comments I'm not a rereader so I'm stickign with print until they either bring the price of ereaders and books way down or come up with some sort of Neflix type thing for ebooks. Although I do get the occasional ebook free from the library. I prefer paperback but will read hardcover if that's what I find first. I rarely buy a hardcover new. I'll usualy wait for paperback or until I get it on paperbackswap or the library.

I love audiobooks. I like to listen on long drives, while I'm walking the dogs or doing housework. Helps make the time go by faster. I think listening to audiobooks with my daughter has helped foster her love of reading.

message 33: by Judithe, Soap Operas never end.... (new)

Judithe | 6408 comments Regina said...It al depends on size of the screen and...

Hmm...using Adobe Digital Editions on my notebook PC but haven't changed any settings (so default ones for that) But the book was 70 pages in the e-book...I read it in under an hour. It has only been published in e-format. I guess I need to find an actual book and e-book to compare. LOL...I'm getting stupid about wanting to know how the pages line up!

message 34: by Shelleyrae (new)

Shelleyrae at Book'd Out | 346 comments I don't ever buy hardcovers - way to expensive here (average price $40-$60). I rarely buy paperbacks for the same reason and up until BookDepository.com postage made buying from overseas no better. We don't have any second hand bookstores in my town or anywhere within 2 hours drive. Up until I got my ipod I relied on the library almost exclusively.
So I am loving ebooks - considerably cheaper, convenient and so many to choose from :)
I dont listen to audiobooks - i have 4 kids who are not quiet long enough to make it viable LOL

message 35: by Laura Lulu (last edited Jul 27, 2010 10:57AM) (new)

Laura Lulu (lauralulu) | 1603 comments I have caught the ebook bug. I have the iphone apps for Kindle, B&N Nook & Kobo and have read ebooks on all three. Love it.

And what I love most about ebooks is being able to get books that are self-published. There are a few self-published series that I had been wanting to read, but I am a big library user and you can't get those books from the library. Hello cheap ebooks! Love it.

message 36: by Regina (new)

Regina (reginar) | 2883 comments I love independently published books! I have found some great ones on Amazon. Also, check out baen books -- they offer many of their firsts in series free.

message 37: by Corazon (new)

Corazon (corazonsliterature) I love books and I'm a keeper; every book I buy goes into my shelves and never leaves my house again.
I've some thousand books in paper, but during the last years I buy only ebooks anymore, if the book is as ebook released.
I have several ebook readers and in my house is no place for "real" books anymore.
I only buy special books - ie. books I really really love or special editions - in paper, too.

Audio books.... They didn't work for me. I wanna read a book and not hear a voice - that I didn't like - read it to me. It is such a difference, if you read a book by yourself or not. The "feeling" for the story is different.
When you hear the reader, his/her voice is there and is for every person/situation/etc. the same.
In my own head when I read a book by myself, there are different voices, the humor is different and many other things, cause every person read a sentence different with different emphasis.

Result:
I love books, buy books and the price doesn't matter to me. When a book is it worth, I buy it.
I prefer ebooks, because I can take them everywhere I go (very practical during travelling), they are handy, practical... and they didn't need a "real" place. Also they are ecological compatible.
Audio books are a "no go" for me.

message 38: by Steph, Serious series addict (new)

Steph (angel4492) | 29056 comments I'm leaning more and more toward eBooks b/c of my limited space issues and moving a lot b/c of military life. Praise eBooks! :D

message 39: by Joanne (new)

Joanne (needsun) | 60 comments Audio then ebook then paperback. Too bad all the books I want aren't in the format I want. Also some kindle books aren't available in Canada.

message 40: by Sandra, Kindle Operator Licence Required (new)

Sandra | 23891 comments My library has just started a digital division, so we can download audio and ebook direct from our computers at home. Not enough books yet to create a special song and dance routine, hopefully we'll get there though.

Judithe as far as I know the Adobe Digital Editions is PDF format, which means that is the accepted & approved format for page numbers here in goodreads. Several of my books are ADE which I am not particularly fond of. I find them too restricting, I prefer straight out PDFs.

message 41: by Steph, Serious series addict (new)

Steph (angel4492) | 29056 comments Sandra, the Canberra library had that going when we were there. They actually had quite a good selection, not huge, but getting a good size. Hopefully it'll happen quickly for you in Sydney. I LOVED that option, in addition to having their "request a book" feature where they'd email you once your requested book was ready to pick up at the library of your choice made that my favorite library to date! I miss it terribly.

message 42: by Sandra, Kindle Operator Licence Required (new)

Sandra | 23891 comments Yeah, our local library has only been open 2 years, it's 1 of 5 in our council area. We've always had the email thing, both when books are due so you can renew or bring em back or when your requested book is in. Great idea.

message 43: by Judithe, Soap Operas never end.... (new)

Judithe | 6408 comments Sandra wrote: ...as far as I know the Adobe Digital Editions is PDF format, which means that is the accepted & approved format for page numbers here in goodreads."

Thanks for the reply...so the page number on an ADE book would be the same number if it were a paper book?

For e-books, I usually try to get them in mobi-pocket form as that is what I have on my ipaq (Hewlett/Packard mobile device...do not confuse this with the ipad which I also would really like to have....) But the whole digital formatting can be a little confusing...especially with the dire warnings on some sites making you select a format, then confirm the selected format one or two more times.... I love books on paper, but am slowly moving toward the e-book world.

message 44: by Sandra, Kindle Operator Licence Required (new)

Sandra | 23891 comments Judithe, yes the ADE could be the same as a paperback, however, it depends on the publisher; what size font, whether its trade size or MMP size. Any number of things.

Generally it should be roughly the same as a MMP.

Other formats for ebooks (except I think epub) aren't recognised for page numbers as they can vary a lot.

I really like PDF ebooks just not the secure ones which are usually ADEs.

message 45: by Judithe, Soap Operas never end.... (new)

Judithe | 6408 comments I had to think about that for a few minutes! LOL...now I get it. Thanks for the info!

message 46: by Literary Ames (new)

Literary Ames (amyorames) | 1854 comments Have you guys seen the specs for the new Kindle? They're actually selling it in my country (UK) dirt cheap (the wireless one is cheaper than my iPod Nano). And it's black! I hated the white ones. They're even opening a Kindle store in my country too and releasing it on 27th Aug, 4 days before my birthday. It's tempting...

UK Site - http://www.amazon.co.uk/Kindle-Wirele...
US Site - http://www.amazon.com/Kindle-Wireless...

message 47: by Judithe, Soap Operas never end.... (new)

Judithe | 6408 comments Oh....tempting...Lucky you!

message 48: by Steph, Serious series addict (new)

Steph (angel4492) | 29056 comments Very cool, Ames. I wish I could check out one before deciding to buy. I'm currently in love with my iTouch, I use Stanza as my reader. I haven't been able to get my hands on any of the eReaders out to play around with a bit to see if I'd like it better. Frustrating.

One thing I think I might really miss, if I switched to a reader v. iTouch/Stanza, is the backlight option. I use that to read in bed at night (on "night setting, so way easy on eyes) and have been told none of the readers have that option.

Hmmm, looks mighty purdy though. :)

message 49: by Literary Ames (new)

Literary Ames (amyorames) | 1854 comments I've been using the Kindle app on my phone which I love. The white font/black background doesn't hurt my eyes, and of course I take it everywhere but when I'm at home I'd like to look at a larger screen and have a better battery life.

I've heard that Amazon let you return the Kindle if you don't like it and are good at replacing broken ones for free. I'm counting on this because I haven't liked other e-readers I've seen/tested.

message 50: by Judithe, Soap Operas never end.... (new)

Judithe | 6408 comments I almost bought one when they first became available here, but the ipad was due to come out a few months later. I'm still wavering, and haven't bought either yet, think I need to get an e-reader sooner than later!

« previous 1 3