Fantasy Book Club Series discussion

The Curse of the Mistwraith (Wars of Light and Shadow, #1)
This topic is about The Curse of the Mistwraith
Wars of Light and Shadow > Curse of the Mistwraith: The Sorcerers and the Koriani - Book One only***SPOILERS LIKELY***

Comments Showing 1-34 of 34 (34 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Sandra  (sleo) | 1059 comments I thought a thread about the Sorcerers and the Koriani and your thoughts about them might generate some interesting discussion. The readers' understanding of the magic that operates in the world of Athera grows and develops in each succeeding book, like everything in this series, but I thought it might be interesting to discuss this aspect in particular.

1. What do you make of the Sorcerers and the F7?

2. Ditto about the Koriani?

Since the Sorcerers are all men, I tend to think of them as the guardians/monitors of the world. Their beginnings are clouded in mystery. We get tiny hints of where they might have originated. What do you make of them?

Likewise, the Koriani are all women, originally a society of healers/nurturers and generally designed to ease human suffering and misery. As they are portrayed in the book, it looks like they are wandering a bit from that mission. Almost like the wicked stepmothers in fairy tale, or jealous, vengeful goddesses.

How do these two societies interact with and complement each other? Or complete with each other?

message 2: by Amelia (last edited Jun 21, 2010 01:08PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Amelia (narknon) | 523 comments I think it is interesting how both react in accordance to some traits of their gender. Both are trying to shape the world accourding to what they want/desire to happen yet they go about it in such different ways. The Fellowship are very direct. They were there to pick up the the princes as soon as they entered the world. The women on the other hand go about using more devious methods such as spying and infiltration.

Currently I'm about 250 pages into Ships of Merrior, so I don't have a lot of insight into thier motives, (not yet anyway). I really like the Fellowship. Thier purposes seem a little clearer at least at this time. The Koriani sorceresses definitely have their own ideas. I think it's interesting that they are basing all of their reasoning of the pinces on Elaira's experiences and the scrying they've done. While they are catching the essence of the princes I don't think they're understanding the true motives of either prince. Either that or they want to use or intrepret the motives and actions of the princes based on their own expectations.

I also love how the Fellowship sees and understand what the Koriani Sorceresses are doing. It's great that Sethvir has thier great focusing stone in his tower and has been hiding it from the women for so long. On the other hand it is a good thing for the Fellowship to be repressing the power of their rivals?

Sandra  (sleo) | 1059 comments You know, Amelia, when I was at the place you are in the series, I liked the sorcerers, but was fearful that perhaps there were some hidden power motives in their maneuvers. The Koriani seem more overtly vicious, at least in their willingness to use Elaira's feelings for Arithon to their own purposes. At least so far, the Fellowship seems to use their magic for protective and life enhancing purposes, where the Koriani seem to use theirs to manipulate things for their own purposes, which are as yet unclear.

And I don't trust Moriel or Lirenda at all.

Amelia (narknon) | 523 comments I did some more reading last night and found out more about the origins of the Fellowship. I won't really say much more since this is for CofM. I really found that to be enlightening.

Sandra  (sleo) | 1059 comments There's a really good short story called Sundering Star that tells of the early days of both, as well as the Beidar tribe that comes up in later books.

Amelia (narknon) | 523 comments I'll have to look into getting all of those short stories. I'd like to read them.

Sandra  (sleo) | 1059 comments Amelia wrote: "I'll have to look into getting all of those short stories. I'd like to read them."

I started a thread with the short stories and the book titles where they can be found. It's down toward the end.

message 8: by Janny (new)

Janny (jannywurts) | 414 comments The short stories will add facets to your understanding of certain elements in the books - will illuminate certain depths that will emerge into prominence, but in such a way that a reader will gain even more angles of awareness.

All were written to fill out areas where readers presumed things, or saw with too shallow a grasp to realize the depth in the underpinnings.

They are not necessary to the main thrust of the series, but add a fun bit of insight.

Sandra  (sleo) | 1059 comments Michael wrote: "I felt very strongly during Curse of the Mistwraith (and probably through Ships and Warhost at least) that the Koriani were meddlers who were suffered by the Fellowship. To my mind the Fellowship w..."

I've read all 8 books and the Koriani are yet to be explained completely. But I agree with what you say. There's an explanation of Davien in Curse explaining his defection or self imposed exile after a major disagreement with the other six sorcerers during which he fomented the rebellion that caused the overthrow of the kings who ruled the kingdoms of Athera.

message 10: by Jeff (last edited Jun 29, 2010 12:15PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jeff Watson | 46 comments Having also read all eight books, much of Morriel's motivations have been explained.

I think it worth mentioning that we see the machinations of the highest level of the sisterhood. I believe that rank and file members are still fulfilling the original purpose of the order.

Sandra  (sleo) | 1059 comments I think it is important to keep remarks to the limit of what book is being discussed. I was trying not to reveal too much from future books.

message 12: by Jeff (last edited Jun 29, 2010 12:16PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jeff Watson | 46 comments My apologies. I though I was in a general topic. I've removed the future spoilers from my post.

Sandra  (sleo) | 1059 comments Thanks Jeff.

Clansman Lochaber Axeman | 7 comments The Koriani are ebil.

Just ebil.

Sandra  (sleo) | 1059 comments Jeff wrote: "My apologies. I though I was in a general topic. I've removed the future spoilers from my post."

I decided the title of the topic was ambiguous, so my apologies for that. I clarified above.

message 16: by Janny (new)

Janny (jannywurts) | 414 comments This is a NON SPOILER POST.

The best part about this series is what becomes of your presumptions as each successive volume opens up. A character you hate now may grow and change, and a quality that is admirable in one scene may prove to be disastrous in another.

Some areas won't open up until later in the game; and until that happens, it may generate some insight if you look at WHAT POINT OF VIEW formed the opinion. What was the vantage in the story that lent the impression you currently hold as truth?

To understand the Koriathain, you have to examine at what level you are viewing their actions.

Because that action will be based on what (for them) is moral high ground. What, therefore, is the moral high ground they are defending?

Until you know this, you have to base your projection on the impact upon some other view point.

I will not spoil what will eventually become a major unveiling; sometimes you will be left to hold a stance over the course of volumes before arriving at the denouement that changes course.

Available to the reader, now, is a clear sense of the Koriani (possessive form) power structure. How information is held, and who knows what.

Has anyone the courage to venture the guess as to what the Koriani moral high ground may be? and if so, has it been corrupted, or just adapted to the fact that it must co-exist with the Atheran Compact drawn by the Fellowship and the Paravians?

In this, volume one, in fact - do you know - what the Fellowship of Seven holds for its moral high ground?

There are forces at play for and against both sets of ideals, held by either faction.

How much of the cat might you see, before she's let out of the bag?

message 17: by Leslie Ann (new)

Leslie Ann (leslieann) | 27 comments When I read CotM last year, I saw the F7 as oligarchic power-brokers whose main intent was to bring back essentially undemocratic hereditary rule to a society that had chosen rule by 'the people'. I know the system of city governments had devolved into a non-royal oligarchy, but it still seemed to me the people had chosen to overthrow hereditary rule and now these 6 old guys were plotting to return the commons to the royal yoke.

Now, I have a more nuanced view after finishing SoM and most of WoV. I believe the moral high ground of the F7 is to protect all life on Athera by maintaining the Major Balance. Through their powers, they can see the long-term consequences of things and must always choose what will protect life, no matter the cost to them or to individual players on the stage of world events at any particular time-hence the sacrifice of Lysaer in CotM.

They know what has happened on other worlds beyond the gates when the Balance has been destroyed and they work toward preventing that calamity from destroying Athera, though it seems their work is cut out for them. I won't say why so as not to spoil.

I have yet to suss out the moral high ground of the Koriani. It will be interesting to see what others think.

Sandra  (sleo) | 1059 comments Clansman wrote: "The Koriani are ebil.

Just ebil."

::chortles:: Maybe here's your answer, Leslie!

message 19: by Jon (new) - added it

Jon (jonmoss) | 706 comments I so want to comment and discuss this but I'm holding my tongue because I'm actively and intensely reading Fugitive Prince right now. So much is revealed in the chapter I'm absorbing. :)

message 20: by Janny (new)

Janny (jannywurts) | 414 comments Jon wrote: "I so want to comment and discuss this but I'm holding my tongue because I'm actively and intensely reading Fugitive Prince right now. So much is revealed in the chapter I'm absorbing. :)"

Jon, no reason why a thread can't be started (with spoilers marked) in the Fugitive Prince folder.

message 21: by Jon (new) - added it

Jon (jonmoss) | 706 comments Well, why didn't I think of that. :P

Perhaps I hesitate to jump ahead of the group. :)

Sandra  (sleo) | 1059 comments Jon wrote: "Well, why didn't I think of that. :P

Perhaps I hesitate to jump ahead of the group. :)"

Aw, go ahead! There may be others who join you!

message 23: by Janny (new)

Janny (jannywurts) | 414 comments Jon wrote: "Well, why didn't I think of that. :P

Perhaps I hesitate to jump ahead of the group. :)"

What scenes might you have viewed differently from this perspective? (new readers may not know why, yet, but they might know those bits aren't window dressing - ;) )

Mawgojzeta I think it is easy to see the Koriani as "the bad guys" or misguided with what little we are given at this point. I have to keep reminding myself (now that I am done with the book) to keep in mind a few things:

1. Morriel is old and has held her position for a very long time. Despite her willingness to use Elaira until she breaks, I saw indications that this was not a cruel woman.

2. Lirenda may either grow as a person or she may simply not survive the rite of succession.

3. They may have sound (or convincing to them) reason to doubt the prophesy. Or possibly there is a conflicting prophesy that we are not aware of yet.

message 25: by Dawn (new) - rated it 3 stars

Dawn (breakofdawn) Amelia wrote: "I did some more reading last night and found out more about the origins of the Fellowship. I won't really say much more since this is for CofM. I really found that to be enlightening."

I'm late to this topic, but just want to say.. I'm about 250 pages into Ships as well (I'm sure you're further by now) and now am really excited to go read some more, since I know there will be revelations soon!

message 26: by Janny (new)

Janny (jannywurts) | 414 comments Mawgojzeta wrote: "I think it is easy to see the Koriani as "the bad guys" or misguided with what little we are given at this point. I have to keep reminding myself (now that I am done with the book) to keep in mind..."

If you understood the motivations, the history, the power structure, and the mission of the order, yes...watch for it. If you are truly curious, the short story, The Sundering Star offers glimpses.

Your observations are very astute.

message 27: by Janny (new)

Janny (jannywurts) | 414 comments Dawn wrote: "Amelia wrote: "I did some more reading last night and found out more about the origins of the Fellowship. I won't really say much more since this is for CofM. I really found that to be enlighteni..."

Each volume will take you further into this - it will be curious to see (in the Ships topic) whether the expectations you had match the first big denouement.

Sandra  (sleo) | 1059 comments In my second reading of Curse, I saw an additional asset of Morriel's. She is able to see Elaira's potential and admire her intelligence where Lirenda does not. Lirenda thinks only that she should be punished for her disobedience.

message 29: by Dawn (new) - rated it 3 stars

Dawn (breakofdawn) Leslie wrote: "Where might I find "The Sundering Star"?

I have yet to definitively make up my mind about Lirenda. I do believe she is dedicated to the Koriani and their mission, but I also believe she is cold, c..."

:-( I'm pretty sure I was just spoiled... Luckily it's not a bad one, I figured it would happen eventually, but this is only supposed to be about book one.

Chris  (haughtc) | 111 comments Leslie wrote: "Where might I find "The Sundering Star"?..."

It's in this compilation:

Under Cover of Darkness by Julie E. Czerneda

message 31: by Leslie Ann (new)

Leslie Ann (leslieann) | 27 comments Thanks, Chris.

Sorry, Dawn. I'm reading the original US edition which is all one big volume, and I forget others are reading it as two separate volumes. In my defense, this thread does say that spoilers are likely; however, I'll delete my comment and place it in the Vastmark discussion.

message 32: by Dawn (new) - rated it 3 stars

Dawn (breakofdawn) Leslie wrote: "Thanks, Chris.

Sorry, Dawn. I'm reading the original US edition which is all one big volume, and I forget others are reading it as two separate volumes. In my defense, this thread does say that sp..."

It's fine, no harm done :)

message 33: by Janny (new)

Janny (jannywurts) | 414 comments Leslie wrote: "Thanks, Chris.

Sorry, Dawn. I'm reading the original US edition which is all one big volume, and I forget others are reading it as two separate volumes. In my defense, this thread does say that sp..."

Leslie - Curse of the Mistwraith (Vol I) is the same in hardbound and paperback, and that is what this topic covers.

The second volume, that was split in two, was the US edition of Ships of Merior - and the split point that became Warhost is easily evident, if you have the hardback US printing, because Ships became Part I, and Warhost became Part II, clearly marked in the book.

message 34: by Janny (new)

Janny (jannywurts) | 414 comments Chris wrote: "Leslie wrote: "Where might I find "The Sundering Star"?..."

It's in this compilation:

Under Cover of Darkness by Julie E. Czerneda"

Chris - thanks for posting that for Leslie.