The Wagon discussion

Woohoo!

Comments Showing 1-43 of 43 (43 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Annette (new)

Annette (annette414) Hey, all!

Suz has been kind enough to create a spiffy new group for our book chats. I've got questions...anyone care to supply some answers? :)

What do you think about.....

...a thread for each to post likes/dislikes? Books, genres, etc?

...a section for genre recommendations? I suggest breaking by genre as one thread may get rather long quickly!

...a section for specific book discussions? Or genre discussions in general?

message 2: by Suz (new)

Suz (suzemo) | 16 comments Mod
I feel like the cool kid - I started a new group and people are joining! wheeeee!

I didn't do much about organizing, but what the heck.

I think a thread for genres might be nice, though if we have a lot of people talking about a specific book or series, spinning them off into their own threads wouldn't hurt anything.

message 3: by Karen (new)

Karen | 68 comments Mod
I just suggested a read-along on the Wagon. It might be a challenge to find a book nobody has read yet, but it would be fun!

message 4: by Christine (new)

Christine | 35 comments I agree that a thread for genres would be a good idea and am definitely up for a read-along.

message 5: by Missy Ann (new)

Missy Ann (missyanntx) | 63 comments We've got some majorly prolific readers here, so I suggest a book that is going release later this month. Or something that has just come out in the past few weeks.

UF gals, there's a new one called Red Hot Fury by Kasy McKenzie that's getting some good buzz.

Sizzling Sixteen by Evanovich is coming out next week - but it's the 16th in the series. I don't know if anyone would want to jump in here.

The Left Hand of God by Paul Hoffman is another one I've heard good things about. I think this one is more of a swords/horses/intrigue type fantasy.

message 6: by Karen (new)

Karen | 68 comments Mod
Good idea, Missy, a newer book would probably be the way to go for a large read-along.

message 7: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 7 comments I think a read-along would be a lot of fun! Definitely something new, would be my choice.

As for threads, I think genre is a good place to start. I'm new to Goodreads, so am just finding my way here.

message 8: by Lisa (last edited Jun 15, 2010 05:05PM) (new)

Lisa | 5 comments Ta for setting this up, Suz!

Whatever format that is easiest for all, works for me.

A read-along sounds fun. Even if I don't participate, I love to read the spoilers. Work has made my brain so mushy, about all I can handle are cookie cutter trashy romances.

message 9: by Annette (new)

Annette (annette414) Hey, I always like a good trashy romance LOL

message 10: by Suz (new)

I'm part of a hoity toity book club in Durham (run by librarians, so the selections are always interesting and good)... and they've picked a trashy romance for next month (at least I think that's what it is :) )

So there's nothing wrong with trashy romances - cuz the librarians said so!

message 11: by Lisa (new)

Lisa | 5 comments I still need to find my JR Ward books, organize them & grab the ones I don't have. Maybe next week while I am only working half days?

What's the title Suz? Do you go to the libraries in Durham? Misako goes to both Durham & CH. She likes the Durham one better because it's larger.

message 12: by Karen (new)

Karen | 68 comments Mod
I read 2 or 3 Harlequin-type romances back in my late teens but even then I couldn't really get into them much. I've read "Lace," by Shirley Conran, and "Rock Star," and "Lucky" by Jackie Collins in my early 20s--are they considered trashy romances??

Not everyone is going to like every book we choose. Maybe a poll suggesting a few books would be a good way to go--we all vote and majority rules.

I came across a book called "The Particular Sadness of Lemon Cake," that looked intriguing. It's about a girl who bites into a piece of lemon cake one day and suddenly feels all the emotions of her mother. She realizes she can now feel the emotions of everyone through food. Might be an interesting read. It's only in hardcover, though. :(

message 13: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 7 comments I'm interested in trashy romance novels - I always love Julia Quinn books! Good to know that librarians are willing to read them too!

I'd heard about the Lemon Cake book that Karen mentioned - it sounded pretty interesting. But, as she mentions, only available in hardcover, and for those who get books from a library, probably has hold lists.

I've enjoyed the Tasha Alexander and Deanna Raybourn mysteries I've read recently - not quite trashy romance, but kind of light and fluffy (apart from the mystery part).

message 14: by Christine (new)

Christine | 35 comments I don't mind stuff like Emily Giffin (chick lit) but I'm not a fan of trashy romance. I think a poll is a good idea and if the book that wins out isn't some peoples' cup of tea, we can always have another read-along (or may two or three running concurrently).

That said, I think book clubs/read-alongs are meant to expand your horizons so I would be open to reading a book that may not be from a genre I typically choose.

message 15: by Suz (new)

Christine - that's why I chose my hoity toity book club (well, that and they meet at bars/places with good beer), I need to expand my horizons... I'm also a member of a sci-fi book club, but I'll read that anyway :)

message 16: by Annette (new)

Annette (annette414) On other GR Groups, Read-Along books are chosen in a multi-step process:

First, a poll is up for genre or type for folks to vote on (usually a week is given).
Once the genre is chosen, a thread for suggestions is created and members pitch different titles.
Finally, a poll is created for the titles and everyone votes to see what book is chosen.

I would love to do a "classic" title like Pride & Prejudice, Jane Eyre, etc. I've either never read them (P&P) or it's been so long ago, I know I'll have a different perspective. Also, discussing with everyone else always brings to light new things in the stories :)

message 17: by Beth (new)

Beth  (canadianbeth) | 8 comments I have quite a few classics on my KOBO e-reader, so if any one of those is chosen then I would have no difficulty in following along. Most of them I have never read, although I am currently reading Eight Cousins by Alcott and probably did read that one, many years ago.

message 18: by Karen (new)

Karen | 68 comments Mod
I'd love to read Jane Eyre, too. I've been meaning to read it for years now.

message 19: by Lisa (new)

Lisa | 5 comments I've got a few Jane Austen books. Can't remember which ones. Pretty sure P&P is one of them.

message 20: by Missy Ann (new)

Missy Ann (missyanntx) | 63 comments Bah, classics suck - too much thinking. lol /kidding I re-read P&P earlier this year. One of my fav classics is Fahrenheit 451; but then again we may want to avoid anything that could go political.

Julia Quinn I think is a really good choice for a historical romance. She's the author that got me started on historicals.

Karen, Lucky absolutely counts as Trashy. God I loved that book.

message 21: by Lisa (new)

Lisa | 5 comments I love Julia Quinn. And Eloisa James.

Liz Carlyle & Sabrina Jeffries are fun too. They live somewhere around the RTP, NC area, near me.

message 22: by Raychill (new)

Raychill | 6 comments Okay - I'm totally new to Good Reads, etc. (been a member for approximately 8 minutes now), but I thought I would chime in on the potential read a long/book club thing.

1. Classics would be good, because a lot of people can get their hands on the books easily and cheap (or free if old enought).

2. The Lemon Cake books sounds intriguing - My library currently has 16 holds on it (2 more books to process) so I would probably see it in 2 -3 months.

3. Timeline - I'm not sure how other places do it, but one bulletin board I know of that has "book clubs" announces several selections in advance so to give their members time to find the books and read them. They also have strict deadlines as to when the book club closes - I imagine we would be more open ended here.

message 23: by MelissaC Corum (new)

MelissaC Corum | 30 comments It's funny, I'm not much for trashy romance, but I loved loved loved both Lace and Lucky when I read them as a teenager. I wanted to grow up to be Lucky! Maybe a reread is in order.

As far as classics go, Jane Eyre sucks. LOL

message 24: by MelissaC Corum (new)

MelissaC Corum | 30 comments And I just bought Lace for my Kindle. I didn't realize it had been OOP - 30 bux. Ouch.

message 25: by Missy Ann (new)

Missy Ann (missyanntx) | 63 comments Lace? What is this Lace? *checks Amazon* "Which one of you bitches is my mother?" Oh this sounds like a book for me.

/and it's now on hold at the library lol

message 26: by Karen (new)

Karen | 68 comments Mod
Me thinks you're going to like it, Missy.

message 27: by MelissaC Corum (new)

MelissaC Corum | 30 comments It's like the grandma of trashy books. My mom had it when I was a kid and I stole it from her and read it over and over until it fell apart.

message 28: by Missy Ann (new)

Missy Ann (missyanntx) | 63 comments I vaguely remember hearing the bitches line somewhere... Was this made into a tv movie or something? I never put 2 & 2 together I guess.

message 29: by Karen (new)

Karen | 68 comments Mod
Yeah, it was a mini series on TV in 1984. Phoebe Cates played Lilli.

message 30: by Annette (new)

Annette (annette414) I remember the miniseries, but don't remember reading the book. I've requested it at the library :)

message 31: by MelissaC Corum (new)

MelissaC Corum | 30 comments So far the writing is pretty bad and dated (was written in 1982) but I'm enjoying every trashy, melodramatic word.

message 32: by Tonya (new)

Tonya (tonyanc) | 4 comments That quote just made me remember that I read that book when I was a teenager. Wasn't there a sequel? Seems like I read that too. Must go find out!

message 33: by MelissaC Corum (new)

MelissaC Corum | 30 comments Yep, the sequel is Lace II - pretty original, eh? Lace II moves faster, but is SUPER over the top and ultratrashy - in the best way, I think. The original Lace moves slow as molasses. LOL I'm about 1/2 through it, and nothing has really happened yet. LOL

message 34: by Katrina (new)

Katrina | 11 comments Okay, now I'm going to have to check my secondhand bookstores for Lace. My interest has been piqued.

I love classic novels (Dickens, Austen, Bronte, etc), but my "guilty pleasure" is Stephanie Laurens. She's a historical romance (Regency) author from Australia. I have every book she's ever written. Her Cynster & Bastion Club series are wonderful, meaty reads. Lots of character development, great plots, recurring characters, etc.

For light, fluffy reading, it's Janet Evanovich's Stephanie Plum series. I haven't read her Metro Girl books, but I'll get around to them.

message 35: by Annette (new)

Annette (annette414) Lace came home from the library yesterday, so I'll probably start this weekend ;) I seem to recall reading it back when the mini-series was shown...

message 36: by Missy Ann (new)

Missy Ann (missyanntx) | 63 comments Aw crap!!!!!!!! That's what I forgot to do today. Lace is in for me to pickup at my library too.

message 37: by MelissaC Corum (new)

MelissaC Corum | 30 comments I just finished it. It is really quite bad. LOL But I had such fond memories of it as a preteen (and why not, it is FILLED with hot sex!), that I persevered. Definitely not my taste today. LOL Enjoy! Warning though, the story is a mess.

message 38: by Suz (new)

Three Melissas talking about the same book is starting to confuse me ;)

message 39: by Missy Ann (new)

Missy Ann (missyanntx) | 63 comments There are at least two more of us lurking out there too. Melissa G. & Melissa Wow. I have all 4 of them in my friends feed. Plus one more from the blogosphere. That's 6 including me. I feel like I'm losing my mind some days.

message 40: by Missy Ann (new)

Missy Ann (missyanntx) | 63 comments At first I though aw, Melissa you didn't have to change your name. And while you don't, it is a good idea. I went and edited mine to Missy Ann.

message 41: by MelissaC Corum (new)

MelissaC Corum | 30 comments Our pictures aren't even close to alike, so I'm not sure how it is confusing. At any rate, my name should be changed now.

message 42: by Missy Ann (new)

Missy Ann (missyanntx) | 63 comments Not here, but in the general feed books not pictures show. That's where I get all confused.

BTW - Lace is in the house! Too bad my TBR pile is about to crush me to death, not to mention how far I am behind in my stitching. And I opened Pillars of the Earth (which we need to shorten to POTE) and didn't stop for about 20 pages.

And yet, here I am on the interwebs...

message 43: by Suz (new)

I didn't mean to make anyone change their names or anything, I just thought it was funny... and yeah, I had to check the pictures (on my teeny tiny computer screen, it wasn't all that easy) to make sure I was telling everyone apart...