European Royalty discussion

European Royalty Group Reads > Lady in the Tower: Ch. 7 - 12

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Sara W (new)

Sara W (sarawesq) | 2153 comments Please discuss Chapter 7: To the Tower through Chapter 12: Just, True, and Lawful Impediments here.

message 2: by Mandy (new)

Mandy Moody | 544 comments Okay, so...
Let's talk about Anne's guilt.
What do we think she was guilty of? Surely something, right?

I don't think Anne ever really loved Henry. I think their affair started out as a way to get back and Henry (and Woolsey, especially) for the Henry Percy thing. I think she intended to frustrate him and then leave him cold. Then I think she got greedy and ambitious. Eventually I think she probably LIKED Henry, and certainly she loved being queen.
However, whether she loved Henry or not, I don't think she was stupid or short sighted enough, or secure enough in her position, that she would have risked it all by having affairs. That just doesn't seem like the intelligent, conniving Anne we all know and love :)
BUT...I think there must have been something she was guilty of...she seemed to act guilty...

In chapter 9 Weir says that
"Anne's conversations in the Tower reveal her to have been indiscreet, both before and after her arrest, and show her entertaining a suspicious interest in the men accused with her. It was also becoming clear, through her own revelations, that she had not kept a proper regal distance between herself and her courtiers, and thus had made herself - and them - vulnerable to accusations of impropriety.

This was before she'd gone to trial, and possibly before she fully understood the charges that were being brought against her (?)
At this point she was hoping to see the king, "to explain everything and clear her name"

I wonder if she had been covering for this group of men, helping them conduct their illicit (homosexual and law breaking) affairs. I wonder if THAT'S what she was guilty of?

message 3: by Sara W (new)

Sara W (sarawesq) | 2153 comments Very interesting! I agree with all your comments about Anne and her motivations/feelings (so no point retyping it).

As for the illicit activity, you might have something there. Weir kept mentioning "buggery" and other sexual acts that were illegal at the time in relation to these men, so if they did commit those acts, and Anne knew about it, she may have thought that's what she was brought in for. That could maybe explain why she was indiscreet (since she wouldn't have thought she was involved in the actions).

She may have also just been nervous and not able to control the things she said. I tend to talk a lot when I'm nervous and ramble on and on even when I probably should just keep my mouth closed. If I was arrested, I would probably be interested in other people arrested with me. None of that really explains her need "to explain everything and clear her name" though. Needing to explain something does make me think she was involved in SOMETHING that might not look right to others if they found out about it.