Scarlett’s Page Turners discussion

Challenge > Summer Challenge 2010

Comments Showing 1-41 of 41 (41 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Emily (new)

Emily (readingmaniac777) | 737 comments Mod
okay so since this summer is going to be the best summer ever the summer challenge is also going to be the best ever
The rules are the same as usual and the Challenge starts July 1st and Ends August 31st at midnight
as a special twist this challenge has a new rule:
any one can add a challenge category worth ten points to the challenge, you will have to complete all these challenges to add your bonus 5 point books at the end so it could give a little twist if people add challenges at the end, this will get people to keep checking the page and give every one a chance to make up challenges.

message 2: by Emily (new)

5 Points:
1) re-read a book that you read for school in past years
2) read a book about animals, or with talking animals
3) read a book that has a summer word in the title, such as beach, sun, pool
4) once all challenges are completed, recieve 5 points for every book you complete that you have not read before

message 3: by Emily (new)

10 Points: All About Authors
1)read a book by an author born in July or August
2) read a book by an author whose last name starts with a J (for July) or an A (for August)
3)Read a boo by an author born in the same month as you
4) read a book by an author who lives in your state
5) 10 additional points for each bonus challenge

message 4: by Emily (new)

15 Points:
1) Read a book about someone who loves to read
2) for the fourth of July read a book about America
3) read a parents favorite book
4) read a book that takes place in another country

message 5: by Emily (new)

20 Points:
1) read a book in a genre you usually dont read
2) read a book that was made into a movie (or TV show)
3) read a book that was published in 2009
4) read the July/August books
5) read 2 books from one of your goodread friends lists

message 6: by Emily (new)

50 Points:
Judge a Book by its cover
read 2 books with creative/artistc covers that catch your eye

message 7: by KCM73 (new)

KCM73 | 357 comments Mod
Emily, this challenge looks great! I will chime in with a BONUS CHALLENGE: 10 points -- be ambitious for summer, read a book with 500 or more pages.

message 8: by Charmaine (new)

Charmaine (empress_charla) Oh my, that's definitely ambitious, Karalee, ha ha! Definitely a challenge for me. ;-) Thanks for making the new summer challenge, Emily! I'm looking forward to it! <3

message 9: by Emily (new)

oh gosh 500 pages, thats scary haha
i better put together a list

message 10: by Charmaine (new)

Charmaine (empress_charla) Here is my bonus challenge. :-) Since people often like to swim in the summer, read a book that has a water/beach theme, like Aquamarine. :-) Either a non-fiction book about ocean animals, water cycles etc. or a fictional story in which the setting of the story takes place at a beach, lighthouse, pirate ship, etc.

message 11: by Emily (new)

thats a good challenge Charmaine!
I loved the book aquamarine :)

message 12: by Charmaine (new)

Charmaine (empress_charla) Emily wrote: "thats a good challenge Charmaine!
I loved the book aquamarine :)"

Glad you like the challenge! I've been wanting to read the Aquamarine movie, especially after seeing the movie recently. :-)

Are we allowed to add more challenges sometime? :-) Or is it only one extra challenge per person?

message 13: by Emily (new)

I love the movie of aquamarine! its really different from the book though
yeah you can add as many challenges as you want as long as you wait to read the book for the challenge after you post it so you cant add a book at like 11:59 on the last day haha

message 14: by Emily (new)

THE CHALLENGE STRATS IN 3 DAYS! good luck everyone! :)

message 15: by Emily (new)

*starts ;) oops

message 16: by KCM73 (new)

KCM73 | 357 comments Mod
Good challenge, Charmaine!

message 17: by Charmaine (new)

Charmaine (empress_charla) Karalee wrote: "Good challenge, Charmaine!"

thank you! :-) I'm really looking forward to this challenge! It starts the day after tomorrow! :-D

message 18: by Emily (new)

So The challenge officially started 5 days ago! How is everyone doing? I personally am like 2/3 of the way done with my first book and I found one of my 50 point books

message 19: by Charmaine (new)

Charmaine (empress_charla) I've read one of the 50 point books, and now I'm reading the other 50 point book. Sounds like you're doing well, Emily! :-)

message 20: by KCM73 (last edited Jul 08, 2010 06:54PM) (new)

KCM73 | 357 comments Mod
I have read three books so far, one for Charmaine's bonus challenge (book about summer/beach) and one about animals, and one by an author who lives in the same state as you. Good so far!!

message 21: by Charmaine (new)

Charmaine (empress_charla) Karalee wrote: "I have read three books so far, one for Charmaine's bonus challenge (book about summer/beach) and one about animals, and one about an author who lives in the same state as you. Good so far!!"

That's awesome, Karalee! You're doing great so far. :-) I'm still reading my 2nd book - gotta hurry, heh heh!

message 22: by Katherine (new)

Katherine (kcarey) I'm very excited for this challenge

message 23: by Emily (new)

i am reading my 3rd book :)

message 24: by Charmaine (new)

Charmaine (empress_charla) Great, Emily! I'm falling behind, ugh! Gotta get off the computer and read now. ;-)

message 25: by KCM73 (new)

KCM73 | 357 comments Mod
Still plenty of time, not to worry!

message 26: by KCM73 (new)

KCM73 | 357 comments Mod
How is everyone doing? My progress has definitely been severely halted the last two weeks.....

message 27: by Charmaine (new)

Charmaine (empress_charla) Karalee wrote: "How is everyone doing? My progress has definitely been severely halted the last two weeks....."

Aw, hope you'll get to read more books now, Karalee! I haven't been doing as well as I'd like, because I get distracted by books that aren't part of the challenge, and I spend too much time online. I'm also in summer school, but it ends on Thursday, hooray! :-)

So far I've read 4 books for the challenge. I'm at least 1/4 done with Little Women.

message 28: by Charmaine (new)

Charmaine (empress_charla) Starting the fall semester at my school tomorrow, so I won't be reading as much as I want to. :-( I'm curious how everyone is doing with the challenge. :-) Hopefully in the next challenge I will read more, heh heh!

message 29: by KCM73 (new)

KCM73 | 357 comments Mod
How is everyone doing? I've gotten through several books the last two weeks and am feeling better about the challenge but I still have a lot to go to complete everything, including our two book club books for July.

message 30: by Charmaine (new)

Charmaine (empress_charla) I'm not doing great, but I've done some progress. I've read 6 so far. Do you know how many you've read so far, Karalee? :-) Sounds like you're doing great! I'm still reading Little Women and haven't began Stormbreaker yet.

message 31: by KCM73 (new)

KCM73 | 357 comments Mod
Not sure how many, probably about a dozen, maybe a little more. I definitely have read a few that don't qualify probably. I am reading Mockingjay now, (the third Hunger Games), so I have been distracted by that!!

message 32: by Charmaine (new)

Charmaine (empress_charla) Wow, you're lucky to be reading Mockingjay, Karalee! I'm the first one on the waiting list for that book at the library, so I'll be reading it soon. I've been reading a bunch of books that don't qualify for the challenge, and I am somewhere in the middle of Little Women. I've read 7 or 8 books, so you're in the lead, Karalee. :-)

message 33: by KCM73 (new)

KCM73 | 357 comments Mod
It is really good, pretty dark but I guess that is expected given where Catching Fire ended. I love Katniss!!!

message 34: by Charmaine (new)

Charmaine (empress_charla) Awesome! I just started reading it (Mockinjay) yesterday. Hope it turns out just as good as Catching Fire or better! I haven't been reading the challenge books these past few days since I've been reading "Only the Good Spy Young" and "Mockinjay!" :-P

message 35: by KCM73 (new)

KCM73 | 357 comments Mod
I finished it on Friday.....and I will admit that tears were shed. Such a good series!

message 36: by Charmaine (new)

Charmaine (empress_charla) Aw, so cool Karalee! I'm in still in the 2nd or 3rd chapter. I got sidetracked because I'm also reading "Only the Good Spy Young" written by Ally Carter, heh heh! :-)

Final day of the challenge! And I already declare you the winner, Karalee. :-) Unless Emily has read more, ha ha!

message 37: by Emily (new)

i am sorry I have not been on in so long, I went on vacation and then by the time I got back realized that I had a ton of summer hmwk to do
I definitley lost the challenge, I barely read at all since the challenge started
I have so much homework this year i have barely been on the computer but now its the WEEKEND!

message 38: by Emily (new)

I read Mockingjay! I was HYSTERICAL at the end (probably mostly cuz the series is over) :( but it was SOOOO good
I think it was better than Catching fire
<3 Peeta

message 39: by Charmaine (new)

Charmaine (empress_charla) That's okay, Emily! I've been busy with school, too. Sounds like you've had a busy summer! I'm just in chapter 4 or so of Mockingjay, but I like it so far. I'm interested in what's going to happen in the end! :-D

I've read a couple books for the challenge, but I'm sure Karalee has read more. ;-) I'll post the books I've read for the challenge if anyone would like to see the list. :-)

message 40: by KCM73 (new)

KCM73 | 357 comments Mod
I will also post my challenge books, have to do it from home where I have my list!! :)

message 41: by KCM73 (new)

KCM73 | 357 comments Mod
CHALLENGE RESULTS:

5 points:
1) The Hobbit, JRR Tolkien
2) Twice Bitten, Chloe Neill

10 points:
1) The Lion, Nelson Demille
2) Not a Penny More, Not a Penny Less, Jeffrey Archer
4) The Search, Nora Roberts (Maryland)
5) 500 Page book: The Passage, Justin Cronin
5) Summer book: The Castaways, Elin Hilderbrand