Paranormal Romance and Urban Fantasy Addicts discussion

Archive Challenge/Read-a-Thon > July mini challenge - Pick from six

Comments Showing 1-50 of 170 (170 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4

message 1: by GinBee, Founder & Mod (last edited Jun 14, 2010 01:28PM) (new)

GinBee (jennymbee) | 4468 comments Mod
July mini challenge - Pick from six

Duration - July

Pick between one and six

Trying something a little different to the previous challenges this month, hope you like it.

All you have to do is pick from the six categories below.

You can do anything between one and six of the categories.

All participants should select at least ONE of the first two categories (PNR or UF).

1. Paranormal Romance (any)
2. Urban Fantasy (any)
3. A book by your favourite author
4. An author you are going to try again, someone you've had a go at reading in the past and was not sure if you liked them.
5. A new to you author
6. Free choice (does not have to be PNR or UF unless you want it to be)

message 2: by GinBee, Founder & Mod (last edited Aug 01, 2010 09:31AM) (new)

Participants in the "Pick from Six"
(think I've got you all, but if your missing from the list give me a shout!!)

*** this means you responded YES to the invite to participate in the challenge but have not posted (as at 20th June, I'll check again in a few days :)

Aiyanna ***
Alisha
Amy ***
Ang
Angelika
Angie - Completed 20 July
Awesomevegan
Bookwatcher - Completed 18 July
Brandi Hoke
Bri ***
Cameron Rogers
Carolyn F. ***
Catherine - Completed 14 July
Chichimo aka ~ "Vixhen" ~ Completed 11 July
Christina Lucas ***
Ciaran ***
Crissa ***
Dee
Diane (deebotte) - Completed 18 July
Donna
Eva Kipler
Fallen Angel
Felon
Gabrielle
Gaijinmama
Gus - Completed 25 July
Heather ***
Helen ***
Hollee Schaenzel
Jeannie ***
Jen ~ "Dhexterity"
Jessica :)
Jill Jam
Jodi
~♥ Kat ♥~ - Completed 20 July
~♡Katie♡~ - Completed 31 July
Laura Lulu - Completed 26 July
♠LethalLovely~HBBIC♠ - Completed 23 July
Licha77x7 m ***
Lisa (A Life Bound By Books)
Lura
Lydia - Completed 28 June
Mahyar Alemipour
Mariya
Marycharlotte
Megan aka *Mheghan* S.
Pam
Particia
Rach
Rebeca Rattacaso ***
Regina - Complted 14 July
Sally
Skye Zary ***
Shera
Stephanie
Suzanne - Completed 22 July
Tammy Rigney ***
Tracy Riva ***
Tysheena ***
Valorie - Completed 26 July
Yazmin Cancel

message 3: by GinBee, Founder & Mod (last edited Jul 05, 2010 11:14AM) (new)

I'm going to to have a go, I hope to do all 6 books, I'm off to decide what to read..... My list will be subject to change, isn't it always!

1. PNR still thinking.
2. UF Stray by Rachel Vincent
3. Favourite Covet by J.R. Ward. Love BDB so hopefully I'll like this too
4. Try again ?to be decided
5. New to me The Darkest Night by Gena Showalter
6. Free choice Twelve Sharp by Janet Evanovich Love Steph
Stray (Shifters, #1) by Rachel Vincent Covet (Fallen Angels, #1) by J.R. Ward The Darkest Night (Lords of the Underworld, #1) by Gena Showalter Twelve Sharp (Stephanie Plum, #12) by Janet Evanovich

message 4: by Mariya (new)

Mariya (cr6zym0nkeyiz) jen, is the challange to do all six of them??

message 5: by Alisha (last edited Jul 18, 2010 08:33AM) (new)

Alisha (schalazeal) | 28 comments Oh! Looks good. Gonna look for a good list of six for this...

...and here it is:
1. PNR: Skin Game by Ava Gray (Ann Aguirre) 7/5
2. UF: Tinker by Wen Spencer
3. Fave Author: Twice Bitten by Chloe Neill 7/14
4. Try again: Fool Moon by Jim Butcher (moving this way up the TBR list for the sake of this challenge.) ^_^
5. New to me: Unholy Ghosts by Stacia Kane
6. Free choice: A Dirty Job by Christopher Moore (currently reading)

Skin Game (Skin, #1) by Ava Gray Tinker (Tinker, #1) by Wen Spencer Twice Bitten (Chicagoland Vampires, #3) by Chloe Neill Fool Moon (The Dresden Files, #2) by Jim Butcher Unholy Ghosts (Downside Ghosts, #1) by Stacia Kane A Dirty Job by Christopher Moore

message 6: by GinBee, Founder & Mod (last edited Jun 14, 2010 11:50AM) (new)

Mariya wrote: "jen, is the challange to do all six of them??"

You can do all six if you like but the challenge is flexible. If you participate then you should do at least one of the first two categories (ie PNR and UF categories). After that you can go anything between just that one book and something from all six!

I've just edited the challenge instructions so it should be clear now. If not shout!

message 7: by Mariya (new)

Mariya (cr6zym0nkeyiz) okaiexz...so have to do

2. Urban Fantasy (any)

but then after that pick any others. 6 isnt required, i dont know if ill be able to do all six.

message 8: by GinBee, Founder & Mod (last edited Jun 14, 2010 12:36PM) (new)

Mariya wrote: "okaiexz...so have to do

2. Urban Fantasy (any)

but then after that pick any others. 6 isnt required, i dont know if ill be able to do all six."

NO, you don't have to do BOTH of Paranormal Romance and Urban Fantasy, but everyone taking part should do at least ONE of these first two categories.

You can do just ONE category if you want, OR ANY number of them up to six.

message 9: by Bookwatcher (last edited Jun 14, 2010 01:11PM) (new)

Bookwatcher  (bookwatcher) Jen ~ "Dhexterity" wrote: "July mini challenge - Pick from six"

Sorry I'm a little slow.. let's see if I understand... now I'm reading

Storm Born (Dark Swan, #1) by Richelle Mead a paranormal romance or urban fantasy (I'm trying to classify)... and then? I must choose another, like A Vampire's Kiss (The Manigault Vampires) by Laura Stamps , a new writer to me (first of her book I'm reading) or can stay with only Storm Born?

I started Storm Born yesterday, can I put it on this mini challenge if I finish it on July or I must start it and end it on July?

If I need to start and finish it at the same month I choose The Vampire Shrink (Kismet Knight, #1) by Lynda Hilburn to this challenge; a PNR book (I think, I didn't understand very well the difference between PNR and UF)

message 10: by Sally (new)

Sally (sjanec) | 22 comments I still am confused between PNR and UF, I am not always sure which is which. If I have it right PNR would be like the Anita Blake and the Dark Hunter series and UF would be the Fever and Mercedes Thompson series.

message 11: by GinBee, Founder & Mod (last edited Jun 14, 2010 01:28PM) (new)

Bookwatcher, sorry I've confused you. Let me try to clarify.

The challenge is to read at least one book and up to six. Each book from a differerent category as listed above.

It would be good if everyone could read at least category 1 OR category 2 if they choose to take part.

So, for example, if you choose to do two books, the challenge is to read 2 out of the 6 categories above, including at least ONE out of the first two.

eg.
1. paranormal romance - Fantasy Lover
5. new to me author - I have not read any Gena Showalter yet so I might choose to read The Darkest Night

Or you may choose to read from all six.

Don't worry too much about exactly when you read the books, as long as it's Julyish (I don't mind if you start now if you want to!)

You can definitely include books you are currently reading if you like.

message 12: by [deleted user] (new)

I'm in I'll post my list once I have a look at what i've got waiting to be read. Good Idea for the challenge, I like having lots of options :)

message 13: by Mariya (new)

Mariya (cr6zym0nkeyiz) oh. now i get it. i feel so dumb. i thought u meant to do one from UF and PNR. i get it now.

ill do this challange.

message 14: by GinBee, Founder & Mod (new)

Sally and Bookwatcher, don't worry too much about whether a book is PNR or UF (just choose two book you want to read if you like)

Broadly though I would say they were as follows:

PNR - centered around a couple heading towards a happy ending, there may be world building and action but the couple are the focus.

UF - concentrates on action and world building, may be a romance but not usually resolved in one book and not necassarily a happy ending.

Hope that helps!

message 15: by GinBee, Founder & Mod (new)

Mariya wrote: "oh. now i get it. i feel so dumb. i thought u meant to do one from UF and PNR. i get it now.

ill do this challange."

I'm managing to confuse everyone today! I've edited the instructions, I think they are clear now!!!

Suzanne (Under the Covers Book blog) | 405 comments I am definately going to join this challange it sounds fun. I am now going to scour my TBR pile and all my friends books : )

message 17: by Mariya (last edited Jul 28, 2010 02:40PM) (new)

Mariya (cr6zym0nkeyiz) July mini challenge - Pick from six

3/4 DONE

1. UF: Twice Bitten by chloe neill
2. new author: Stray by rachel vincent
3. free choice: Magic Bites by ilona andrews

Twice Bitten (Chicagoland Vampires, #3) by Chloe Neill Stray (Shifters, #1) by Rachel Vincent Magic Bites (Kate Daniels, #1) by Ilona Andrews

message 18: by Lydia (last edited Jun 28, 2010 11:51AM) (new)

Lydia | 24 comments Here is my list:

5/5

1. Stray by Rachel Vincent (UF) (4 stars)
2. Slave to Sensation by Nalini Singh (PNR) 5 stars
3. Destined for an Early Grave by Jeaniene Frost (Fav) 5 stars
5. Incarceron(new author) (4 stars)
6. Dog Blood by David Moody (Free choice) 3 stars

Stray (Shifters, #1) by Rachel Vincent Slave to Sensation (Psy-Changeling, #1) by Nalini Singh Destined for an Early Grave (Night Huntress, #4) by Jeaniene Frost [image error] Dog Blood (Hater, #2) by David Moody

Suzanne (Under the Covers Book blog) | 405 comments My List:

1: PNR Jacob- I have this on order and I can't wait to start reading it!
2: UF Dying Bites- Have had this on my Wish List for ages, finally an excuse to exercise my credit card : )
3: Fave author The Sugar Queen- I just adore this book.
4: Author you're unsure about Kiss of Crimson- Wasn't sure about the first one, but will give this one a go.
5: New to You Author Sinful- I really like the cover for this one : P
6: Free Choice The Owl Killers- This has been on my bookshelf for ages, keep forgetting I have it!

Jacob (Nightwalkers, #1) by Jacquelyn Frank Dying Bites (The Bloodhound Files, #1) by D.D. Barant The Sugar Queen by Sarah Addison Allen Kiss of Crimson (Midnight Breed, #2) by Lara Adrian Sinful by Charlotte Featherstone The Owl Killers by Karen Maitland

message 20: by Bookwatcher (new)

Bookwatcher  (bookwatcher) Suzanne wrote: "My List:

1: PNR Jacob"

Whoaaaaaaaa great choice! I loved this book!
Question, can we comment (as I'm doing now) the choice of the others? If we can't I'm sorry...

message 21: by Lydia (last edited Jun 14, 2010 02:26PM) (new)

Lydia | 24 comments Suzanne wrote: "My List:

1: PNR Jacob- I have this on order and I can't wait to start reading it!
2: UF Dying Bites- Have had this on my Wish List for ages, finally an excuse to ex..."

Hi Suzanne, how do I get my list to look kool like your? The pictures of the books and the underlining of the titles? Sorry, for the silly question. :)

message 22: by GinBee, Founder & Mod (last edited Jun 14, 2010 02:31PM) (new)

Lydia, you can add the book covers by going to "add book/author" at the top of the box where you post comments, type in the book title and click search. Once you've found the book click at the bottom of the list on cover (rather than link) and click add by the book. You need to do this for each book.

Underlined titles are found the same way, but this time click on link.

Once you have these you may need to cut and past them into the right place on your list.

Hope that helps!

message 23: by Lydia (new)

Lydia | 24 comments Jen ~ "Dhexterity" wrote: "Lydia, you can add the book covers by going to "add book/author" at the top of the box where you post comments, type in the book title and click search. Once you've found the book click at the bot..."

Thanks so much.

message 24: by GinBee, Founder & Mod (last edited Jun 14, 2010 02:34PM) (new)

Lydia wrote: Thanks so much.

Let me know how it works out. It was a while before I got it all to run smoothly!

message 25: by Lydia (new)

Lydia | 24 comments Jen ~ "Dhexterity" wrote: "Lydia wrote: Thanks so much.

Let me know how it works out. It was a while before I got it all to run smoothly!"

EZ PZ...yeah, I learned something new. Thanks again.

message 26: by GinBee, Founder & Mod (new)

Lydia wrote: "Jen ~ "Dhexterity" wrote: "Lydia wrote: Thanks so much.

Let me know how it works out. It was a while before I got it all to run smoothly!"

EZ PZ...yeah, I learned something new. Thanks again."

Your list looks excellent now!

Suzanne (Under the Covers Book blog) | 405 comments @Bookwatcher- I have been wanting to read Jacob for ages but I am still waiting for Amazon to deliver it! I can't wait to start reading it.

@Lydia, I see you have it all figured out : )

Ang -PNR Book Lover Reviews (pnrbookloverreviews) | 15 comments Ok i thought about it ill do this one aswell

Ang -PNR Book Lover Reviews (pnrbookloverreviews) | 15 comments hey I am going to ask a silly question, whats urban fantacy?? i prob have read some but i never can tell ..lol..

message 30: by Jillian (new)

Jillian (jilljam) 1. Shift (Shifters, #5) by Rachel Vincent
3. On the Jellicoe Road by Melina Marchetta
4. Kitty and the Midnight Hour (Kitty Norville, #1) by Carrie Vaughn

message 31: by Gaijinmama (new)

Gaijinmama | 9 comments I'll give it a try, count me in!

message 32: by Cameron (last edited Jun 23, 2010 08:01AM) (new)

Cameron (camishel) | 7 comments I'm in for all six gonna have to think about some of my books still

PRN - Elijah (Nightwalkers, #3) by Jacquelyn Frank totally love these books
UF - Burned (House of Night, #7) by P.C. Cast just bought this one so can't wait to start it (finished 06/22/10)
Fav Author - Lover Mine (Black Dagger Brotherhood, #8) by J.R. Ward totally drool worthy
Author Your Unsure Of - The Hunted (Vampire Huntress Legend, #3) by L.A. Banks
New to You Author - Crimson City (Crimson City, #1) by Liz Maverick
Free Choice - Blue Bloods (Blue Bloods, #1) by Melissa de la Cruz got this book about a month ago and haven't had a chance to look at it

message 33: by Hollee (last edited Aug 02, 2010 02:40AM) (new)

Hollee | 6 comments Hello people!!!

Here is my list

1. Kiss of Crimson - Lara Adrian
2. All Together Dead - Charlaine Harris
3. The Darkest Pleasure - Gena Showalter
4. Undead and Unwed - Mary Janice Davidson
5. Surviving Demon Island - Jaci Burton
6. Luke - Cheyenne McCray

Kiss of Crimson (Midnight Breed, #2) by Lara Adrian All Together Dead (Sookie Stackhouse, #7) by Charlaine Harris The Darkest Pleasure (Lords of the Underworld, #3) by Gena Showalter Undead and Unwed (Undead, #1) by MaryJanice Davidson Surviving Demon Island (Demon Hunters, #1) by Jaci Burton Luke (Armed and Dangerous, #2) by Cheyenne McCray

message 34: by Sally (last edited Jun 14, 2010 07:02PM) (new)

Sally (sjanec) | 22 comments "July mini challenge
1. Paranormal Romance (?)
2. Urban Fantasy Burned
3. A book by your fav. author Dead in the Family
4. An author you are going to try again Kitty Goes to Washington
6. Free choice

message 35: by Ang -PNR Book Lover Reviews (last edited Jun 14, 2010 06:43PM) (new)

Ang -PNR Book Lover Reviews (pnrbookloverreviews) | 15 comments 1. Paranormal Romance:Lover Eternal
2. Urban Fantasy:Touch the Dark
3. A book by your favourite author:Dark Side of the Moon
4. An author you are going to try again, someone you've had a go at reading in the past and was not sure if you liked them.:Born of IceLove Sherrilyn Kenyon Just wanna try this series again!!
5. A new to you author:Atlantis Rising and A Quick Bite
6. Free choice (does not have to be PNR or UF unless you want it to be):Perfect Chemistry

Lover Eternal (Black Dagger Brotherhood, #2) by J.R. Ward Touch the Dark (Cassandra Palmer, #1) by Karen Chance Dark Side of the Moon (Dark-Hunter/Were-Hunter, #10) by Sherrilyn Kenyon Born of Ice (The League, #3) by Sherrilyn Kenyon Atlantis Rising (Warriors of Poseidon, #1) by Alyssa Day Perfect Chemistry (Perfect Chemistry, #1) by Simone Elkeles
And another newbie: A Quick Bite (Argeneau, #1) by Lynsay Sands

message 36: by Gus (new)

Gus | 20 comments I'm totally in! I have to admit I might need help deciding PNR or UF (sometimes I get confused, you know?). I'll edit this with my picks later tonight!

message 37: by Mariya (new)

Mariya (cr6zym0nkeyiz) Gus wrote: "I'm totally in! I have to admit I might need help deciding PNR or UF (sometimes I get confused, you know?). I'll edit this with my picks later tonight!"

jen posted up above:

PNR - centered around a couple heading towards a happy ending, there may be world building and action but the couple are the focus.

UF - concentrates on action and world building, may be a romance but not usually resolved in one book and not necassarily a happy ending.

but if u still need help let me knoe the books u wanna read for this challage and ill let u knoe which ones r considered UF and which are PNR..okaiexz?.

Ang -PNR Book Lover Reviews (pnrbookloverreviews) | 15 comments GUS me to babe,lol i all ways get confused haha

message 39: by Dee (new)

Dee (ohdee) | 6 comments My first invitation - thank you!

Count me in although I'm struggling on UF books - I don't know if I've ever read one. "World building?" I'm so confused!

message 40: by Felon (new)

Felon | 68 comments Ooh good challenge! Here are my picks:
1. Paranormal Romance Insatiable Insatiable by Meg Cabot
2. Urban Fantasy Dead Witch Walking Dead Witch Walking (Rachel Morgan/The Hollows, #1) by Kim Harrison
3. A book by your favourite author Lover Mine Lover Mine (Black Dagger Brotherhood, #8) by J.R. Ward
4. An author you are going to try again Full Moon Rising Full Moon Rising (Riley Jenson Guardian, #1) by Keri Arthur
5. A new to you author Slave to Sensation Slave to Sensation (Psy-Changeling, #1) by Nalini Singh
6. Free choice (does not have to be PNR or UF unless you want itStray Stray (Shifters, #1) by Rachel Vincent

message 41: by Lydia (new)

Lydia | 24 comments Dee wrote: "My first invitation - thank you!

Count me in although I'm struggling on UF books - I don't know if I've ever read one. "World building?" I'm so confused!"

Hi Dee, here are a few of my favs:

Bitten Bitten (Women of the Otherworld, #1) by Kelley Armstrong
Moon Called Moon Called (Mercedes Thompson, #1) by Patricia Briggs
Halfway to the Grave Halfway to the Grave (Night Huntress, #1) by Jeaniene Frost

message 42: by Felon (new)

Felon | 68 comments WHAT ABOUT:Rachel Caines Morganville Vampires
Glass Houses Glass Houses (The Morganville Vampires, #1) by Rachel Caine
or her Weather Warden Series
Ill Wind Ill Wind (Weather Warden, #1) by Rachel Caine

those are both excellent

message 43: by Dee (new)

Dee (ohdee) | 6 comments Werewolves? I can do that! Thank you for the info - I chose

Bitten (Women of the Otherworld, #1) by Kelley Armstrong

message 44: by Patricia (new)

Patricia | 1 comments hello, just want to know, do we post here what we r gonna read?
new to group.
thanks

message 45: by Lydia (new)

Lydia | 24 comments Dee wrote: "Werewolves? I can do that! Thank you for the info - I chose

Bitten (Women of the Otherworld, #1) by Kelley Armstrong"

Nice choice, you won't be disappointed.

message 46: by Gus (new)

Gus | 20 comments 1. Paranormal Romance- Lover Eternal by J.R. Ward
2. Urban Fantasy- A Kiss of Shadows (Meredith Gentry, #1) by Laurell K. Hamilton
3. A book by your favourite author- Blood Promise by Richelle Mead
4. An author you are going to try again, someone you've had a go at reading in the past and was not sure if you liked them- The Twilight Before Christmas by Christine Feehan
5. A new to you author- Poison Study by Maria V. Snyder
6. Free choice-

I think those are right!

Ang -PNR Book Lover Reviews (pnrbookloverreviews) | 15 comments Awesome Gus You and i are reading Lover Eternal :)

message 48: by ~Kate~ (new)

~Kate~ (katesbooklife) so i am in for this.

1. Paranormal Romance - Bitten

2. Urban Fantasy - Club Dead

3. A book by your favourite author - First Drop of Crimson by Jeaniene Frost

4. Try again author - The Awakening and The Struggle by L.J. Smith read The Awakening a while ago now but couldnt get into it so i am going to try it again as i have brought all the books which are out now.

5. A new to you author - Tantalize by Cynthia Leitich Smith

6. Blood Ties

message 49: by GinBee, Founder & Mod (new)

Patricia wrote: "hello, just want to know, do we post here what we r gonna read?
new to group.
thanks"

Hi Patricia, welcome to the group and I hope you enjoy this challenge!

Yes, you post a list of what you are planning to read in this thread (you can always alter it later if you want!)

If you prefer, could just post each book as you read it. But again in this thread.

message 50: by Angie (new)

Angie I'm in!

1 - The Man Within - Lora Leigh
2 - Succubus Dreams - Richelle Mead
3 - Beneath A Darkening Moon - Keri Arthur
4 - Your Planet Or Mine? - Susan Grant
5 - Dragon Heat - Allyson James
6 - Out of the Light, Into The Shadow

The Man Within (Breeds, #2) by Lora Leigh Succubus Dreams (Georgina Kincaid, #3) by Richelle Mead Beneath a Darkening Moon (Ripple Creek Werewolf, # 2) by Keri Arthur Your Planet or Mine? (Otherworldly Men, #1) by Susan Grant Dragon Heat (Dragon Series, #1) by Allyson James Out of the Light, Into the Shadows (Includes Vegas Vampires, #6 & #7) by Lori Foster

« previous 1 3 4