The Kingdom Beyond the Waves (Jackelian, #2) The Kingdom Beyond the Waves discussion

Stand alone or definite sequel?

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Erin (new)

Erin Do I have to read The Court of the Air first? This one sounds much more interesting, and it doesn't seem like any of the characters overlap. Has anyone read both that could tell me? Thanks

Stephen Hunt It's standalone, Erin.

Alyssa Some of the characters do overlap but you don't need to have read Court of the Air to know what's what since they're mostly side characters. There are a few points at which Kingdom Beyond the Waves references Court of the Air but they aren't necessary to the main plot. In all, they're totally different stories that happen to take place in the same world.

While both stories take place in the same world and involve a lot of similar themes, I actually found that they had pretty different vibes. This one definitely has more character development and seemed a but a little more refined and original but somehow I enjoyed Court of the Air a bit more. I would recommend both of them. :)

message 4: by Erin (new)

Erin Thank you both, I appreciate it!

Stephen Hunt No probs, Erin.

Stephen

www.StephenHunt.net

Shannon As someone who read this one first without the Court of the Air, it's a lot to take in. I got the impression the author assumes you already know what he is talking about in the context of the overall world. I found it quite hard to grasp initially. Have yet to go back and read the first one though, so can't say for sure, but I suspect that will help.

Stephen Hunt One thing I would say is that the 6 books in the Jackelian universe were written for a rather sophisticated audience - they're intentionally dense, complex, have multiple POVs and are packed with lots of ideas. Think Dune rather than Game of Thrones.

My new books from Gollancz are written for a wider audience and are far more accessible for basic and younger readers, as well as those who prefer a simpler linear and straight-forward reading adventure, so I'd always suggest starting with the Far-called series and working back, in that sense.

Stephen

Phil Leader This second book doesn't require that The Court Of The Air is read first; however don't expect to be spoon-fed handy little descriptions of anything from the geopolitical landscape to various races (human based and otherwise) or common terms for items. Everything needs to be worked out by context. That's true of the first book too, by the way.

The only major character both books share is Commodore Black, but his back story is established well before it impacts on the story.

In many ways I would recommend this as the first book to read simply because the story is more recognisable as a quest through a hostile jungle (at least in most part).

I read The Rise Of The Iron Moon first and yes the first couple of chapters were very hard going but it was well worth the effort