Paranormal Romance & Urban Fantasy discussion

General Discussion > Karen Marie Moning

Comments Showing 1-50 of 72 (72 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Kristina (new)

Kristina | 15 comments I just got all of Karen Marie Moning's books, since i have been told many times that they are a great read.
But my question is which series do i read first and are both series finished.

So which do i start with:
Fever or Highlander? (And which is best?)

Thanks in advance guys

message 2: by Shelly (new)

Shelly (mashbay) FEVER!!!!!!

message 3: by Patty (new)

Patty (catnaping) They both are really good.I would read the Highlander books first only because when you read the 4th Fever book you are going to want the 5th one and it doesn't come out till Dec 7th.;)

message 4: by Leigh (new)

Leigh (llogan24) Yes, I agree that you should go with Highlanders first, and push Fever off until closer to the release date b/c the cliffhanger is frickin' HUGE!!! Also, while not required, the Highlander books give a little background w/ the Fae world and characters that you will eventually encounter in the Fever series.

message 5: by Dawn (new)

Dawn (dawn9655) I wish I would have known this before LOL My first discovery of Moning was the Fever series. Which IS excellent, btw. I need to get the Highlander books now.

message 6: by Leigh (new)

Leigh (llogan24) Dawn - i did the same thing!!! I'm now gradually reading the Highlanders, and then I plan to reread the Fever series as it gets closer to ShadowFever release day! :)

message 7: by Ann aka Iftcan (new)

Ann aka Iftcan (iftcan) | 2659 comments Mod
I too plan on re-reading the series like the week before the new one comes out--partly to refresh my memory and partly because I don't want to re-read them too soon and feel frustrated again

message 8: by Kristina (new)

Kristina | 15 comments Thanks guys.
The conclusion is:
Read both series but start with Highlander because i'll be too excited to wait for the 5th Fever. Good to know guys. Thanks a million

message 9: by Lisa X (new)

Lisa X Good question. I read the Highland series first bc someone told me you'd be missing elements in the Fever series.

Honestly, I don't think you'd miss anything. It might actually be better reading the Fever series first because the story created in this series is well expanded upon. Moning creates this fantasy world which is the main plot of the Fever series however this fantasy world is more like a subplot in her Highland series. It's not well written in her Highland series and leaves you a little confused. As you go through the Highland series, this world she has created starts to take shape but it isn't until the Fever series where this fantasy world is clearly defined.

Both series are good and completely different. The Fever series is highly addicting. You will be at a lost after the 4th book.

message 10: by Lisa X (new)

Lisa X Ann aka Iftcan wrote: "I too plan on re-reading the series like the week before the new one comes out--partly to refresh my memory and partly because I don't want to re-read them too soon and feel frustrated again"

I plan to re-read everything. I think I'll start in October. I was even thinking of starting a group for those who have read everything and want to re-read from the beginning. I have been thinking about the fever series non-stop. It's getting a little ridiculous. I can't get it out of my mind and I find myself daydreaming during the day about it. Crazy!

message 11: by Heather (new)

Heather Book Savvy Babe (booksavvybabe) | 26 comments Lisa wrote: "Ann aka Iftcan wrote: "I too plan on re-reading the series like the week before the new one comes out--partly to refresh my memory and partly because I don't want to re-read them too soon and feel ..."

There is a fever group you can join, we are doing a re-read in a few months to get us ready for the release of book 5 in the fever series

message 12: by Lisa X (new)

Lisa X Thanks, I am actually a member of that group but I haven't checked in lately.

message 13: by ஐAndreaஐ (new)

ஐAndreaஐ (rosesrrblue) | 707 comments Heather - what group is the the Fever Group part of? Is it Paranormal Romance?

message 14: by Kasey (new)

Kasey | 70 comments I would say read the Highlander series first since they were written first and it is all the same world. But my favorite is the Fever series.

That being said I actually read the Fever series first so it isn't necessary to read them in order. And your preferences will determine what you like more. The Highlander are more romance focused. Each one with a focus couple and a HEA. The Fever series is more UF with romance kinda secondary. The last book is out in December, but there is to be a HEA.

You may want to decide based on your preference. You wont miss anything important by reading the Fever series first so you may want to choose which you read first based on your preference.

message 15: by Heather (new)

Heather Book Savvy Babe (booksavvybabe) | 26 comments ஐAndreaஐ wrote: "Heather - what group is the the Fever Group part of? Is it Paranormal Romance?"

Fever series is it's own group, here is the link

http://www.goodreads.com/group/show/3...

message 16: by Regina (new)

Regina (reginar) Shadowfever release date moved again:

http://www.karenmoning.com/forum/show...

So it's been moved again. I was pretty sure it would be.

My typical novel is about 100,000 words, give or take. Every author has a word count they seem to be comfortable writing and that's mine. I don't go by page count, because it's so fickle. Depending on the font, line spacing, white space, etc. a publisher chooses, they can make a long book look short or a short book look long.

100,000 words is usually a 400 page paperback. Depending on typesetting. To give you a better frame of reference, The Dark Highlander was approximately 94,000 words. Kiss of the Highlander was about 102,000. I think Bloodfever was my shortest at about 87,000-90,000. Dreamfever was the longest at about 115,000.

Shadowfever was originally scheduled for release December 28th. When it was moved to December 7th, I was pretty sure it wouldn't end up staying there.

The bad news is that the new and hopefully final release date for Shadowfever is now January 18, 2011. Which is really only 3 weeks later than they'd originally scheduled it for.

The good news is that I'm delivering the equivalent of 2 books for me. No--they're not going to split it into two! It's just that long. I think it's going to end up coming in at around 180,000+ when I'm done, which will be soon. I'll continue to keep you posted but I'm pretty certain that's a set-in-stone release date.

message 17: by Lisa X (new)

Lisa X No fecking way! That sucks! Dude, I am not going to read any more of her series until she is done with them all.

message 18: by Regina (new)

Regina (reginar) I agree.

message 19: by Lover of Romance (new)

Lover of Romance (loverofromance) | 17 comments I love the highlander series!!! Its one of my favorite series to read!!! So you should start with that first!!

message 20: by Heather (new)

Heather | 243 comments Ahhhhh, now we have to wait even longer?? OMG, that sucks crap big time..

message 21: by Mariel (new)

Mariel (fuchsiagroan) I'm so addicted to the Fever series. I've not read the Highlander series yet. I guess I'll have to now that the wait is even longer for Shadowfever. *impatient*

message 22: by Lover of Romance (new)

Lover of Romance (loverofromance) | 17 comments Well if you decide to start the Highlander series, you will love it!!!!

message 23: by Regina (new)

Regina (reginar) I would start wtih #3 and skip Nos. 1 and 2. They do not pertain to the Fever series and many people think they are slow. I know it is all subjective though. :)

These relate to the Fever series:

The Highlander's Touch (Highlander, #3) by Karen Marie Moning Kiss of the Highlander (Highlander, #4) by Karen Marie Moning The Dark Highlander (Highlander, #5) by Karen Marie Moning The Immortal Highlander (Highlander, #6) by Karen Marie Moning Spell of the Highlander (Highlander, #7) by Karen Marie Moning and while Moning has said Into the Dreaming (Highlander, #8) by Karen Marie Moning doesn't play into the Fever series b/c it was with a different publisher, I still found it instructive on the Fae world.

These are the first two, the characters do not relate to the later HL books or the Fever series (except for one character, but you don't need to read these to understand the later series at all):

Beyond the Highland Mist (Highlander, #1) by Karen Marie Moning To Tame a Highland Warrior (Highlander, #2) by Karen Marie Moning

message 24: by Lisa X (new)

Lisa X Yes, I'd have to agree with Regina. But I still liked the first two books. Also, "Into the Dreaming" was so short I didn't particularly care for it. But I want to re-read it now that I read the Fever books.

message 25: by Regina (new)

Regina (reginar) I felt like Into the Dreaming held the key to what Barrons is. But then Moning said to disregard it. But I agree that it was too short. I was not invested in the characters.

message 26: by Whitney (new)

Whitney (whitneyk) | 17 comments I actually couldn't really get into the Fever series. I would start to get interested and then she would go in a new direction. The romance was my biggest issue. The only time the male and female leads come to action the female is out of her mind and has to have sex. It ruined their relationship for me.

message 27: by Lover of Romance (new)

Lover of Romance (loverofromance) | 17 comments I have heard that the romance in the fever isnt that great, and since I have yet to read it, is probably the reason I have hesitated so much. The romance in the Highlander series is magnifique!!! I have no problems with it!!!

message 28: by Regina (new)

Regina (reginar) It isn't a romance series.

message 29: by Budletsmom (new)

Budletsmom | 17 comments Oh crumb (not what I was really thinking) I can't believe they changed the date again - I have been trying to figure out how I would make it till December and was thrilled when they moved it to the 7th the day before my birthday - I planned to be at the store when they opened and pick it up and just start reading. so bummed I have to wait an extra 40 days - urrggg.

I started with the Highland books and had no desire to read the Fever series just didn't sound like my kind of series but loved her writing so much that I had to give it a try and they are by far my favorite books. I plan to reread the Fever series before the last book comes out - most likely will reread her Highland series somewhat soon as well. It is funny because I also talked my MIL into the Fever series since she loved the Highland series took a couple of months and then she was as hooked as I was.

message 30: by Whitney (new)

Whitney (whitneyk) | 17 comments To me its an urban fantasy with a dash of romance.

message 31: by Laura (new)

Laura (highlandhussy) | 194 comments Highlander first, since it's a crossover series, and you meet the MacKeltars in the Fever series, so it's nice to know who they are from the Highlander series

message 32: by Mariel (new)

Mariel (fuchsiagroan) I think the fever romances are darker, more between the lines. Mac has a lot on the line. Maybe like it's a mystery as much as everything else in her life. The puzzle should be answered eventually. My bet is on Barrons, just not sure he deserves her. I just read Dark Highlander. I liked it (twins yay). Is Adam around more?

message 33: by Laura (new)

Laura (highlandhussy) | 194 comments His book is next!!! It's called The Immortal Highlander It's my favorite of the Highlander series

message 34: by Regina (new)

Regina (reginar) Adam is the focus of the Immortal HL. I LOVE Daegus!

I agree about Jericho. Even if he is doing it to protect her - he can be harsh. Like the birthday cake scene. That was hard to take.

message 35: by Mariel (new)

Mariel (fuchsiagroan) I'll have to read Adam's next. And Drustan's. I liked him (but not as much as his twin).
Between Jericho and Ethan of Chicagoland Vampires, I'm expecting lots of grovelling in my upcoming reads.

Christian's family were mentioned? If I'm not careful I'll revert to Harry Potter days and take notes.

message 36: by Regina (new)

Regina (reginar) Yes. And Daegus and Cian are mentioned specifically.

message 37: by Laura (new)

Laura (highlandhussy) | 194 comments Yep and also Barrons and Mac ran into them trying to retrieve an artifact. And she convinces barrons to help them on samhain. They're all over the place

message 38: by ஐAndreaஐ (new)

ஐAndreaஐ (rosesrrblue) | 707 comments Which book was it that Barrons was dancing around Naked?

message 39: by Kasey (new)

Kasey | 70 comments LOL. That was Dreamfever.

message 40: by Regina (new)

Regina (reginar) Dreamfever. The last one. What a beautiful image. :)

message 41: by ஐAndreaஐ (new)

ஐAndreaஐ (rosesrrblue) | 707 comments I know, that was great, I was thinking about it the other day when someone brought it up, I have to go look for that part and book mark it or something :)

message 42: by Mariel (new)

Mariel (fuchsiagroan) I may have to rethink my position on the song tubthumping. Barrons dancing somehow improves it... :)

message 43: by Sally (new)

Sally (larwos) | 258 comments Lisa wrote: "Ann aka Iftcan wrote: "I too plan on re-reading the series like the week before the new one comes out--partly to refresh my memory and partly because I don't want to re-read them too soon and feel ..."
I find a good book does that to you and it doesn't have to be paranormal or even fantasy.
I must admit the Fever series is so wonderful that I would read the Highlander series first, mainly because there is such a huge gap between them as far as quality is concerned. Not criticising Highlander, just the Fever series is just so wonderful and addictive.
Like so many of us, I'm going through, and really enjoying, the Highlander series at the moment.
I think I'll get the audio series of the Fever series and listen to them in November all ready for the big release.

message 44: by Ann (new)

Ann Noell (fantasyannie) I love the Highlander series, I would go with it first. I loved the first 2 books of the Fever series but did not like the ending of the 3rd book. I have not read Dreamfever yet and I thought it was to be the last book but NO there is one more. I guess I'm to much of a romatic for the Fever series lol.....

message 45: by Laura (new)

Laura (highlandhussy) | 194 comments Ann I'm with you...I prefer the romance to the Urban Fantasy, but read Dreamfever and you can see Mac become stronger. :) She's got another cliffhanger ending, but it's not as bad as Faefever's was.

message 46: by Budletsmom (new)

Budletsmom | 17 comments Dreamfever - book 4 had the worst cliffhanger I have ever had in a book - you were in the middle of a scene and it just ended - it took many days heck weeks to get over that one. If I hadn't already read it I would have waited for the last book to be out before reading it. Excellent series but I also loved the Highlander one and will reread those when I get more caught up on my reading.

message 47: by Ann (new)

Ann Noell (fantasyannie) I'm going to read Dreamfever, because I have already read the first 4 books lol.... OK I'm going to tell you all something that will make most of you scream (what) a friend has the dreamfever book and I read the last few pages to see how it ended. I know, how could I do such a thing?? If it was going to end as bad as the last book then I was not going to read it! I can handle this cliffhanger ending.

message 48: by Tracy T. (new)

Tracy T. | 252 comments I just finished the 4 books and I really enjoyed the way she wrote all the characters except Mac. I tried to like Mac, but her whole "i'm-not-gonna-listen-to-Barrons-but-i'll-need-him-to-rescue-me" routine got old very quick.

I really enjoyed Barrons, I guess I'm one of the few who don't want him to end up with Mac.

message 49: by Shelly (new)

Shelly (mashbay) I don't mind the cliffhangers. In fact I actually like them because they keep me interested if done correctly

message 50: by ஐAndreaஐ (new)

ஐAndreaஐ (rosesrrblue) | 707 comments I will be very dissappointed if Barrons and Mac don't end up together in the end. I had to go back and re-read the part in dreamfever that Barrons was dancing around naked with Mac. So cute! She kept calling him a "Fine Beast" and omg picturing Barrons dancing around the room singing was cracking me up!

« previous 1