Chicagoland Vampires discussion

Comments Showing 1-50 of 209 (209 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4 5

message 1: by valee (new)

valee What series have you read that are similar to this one? Let's make some recommendations,lol.

Meredith Barrons | 280 comments Mod
I think the Shifters series by Rachel Vincent is similar. Those who haven't read it yet should try it!

message 3: by valee (new)

valee I love that series! But I think this one has way more romance than that one.

Really? I feel like Shifters has a good amount because of the whole love triangle in it throughout the books. I can't believe the last book in the series comes out in October!

message 5: by valee (new)

valee Yeah, maybe I'm just frustrated about the love triangle,lol. There is romance in it. It's just that Fayth doesn't respond to the guys as well as Merit Does.

That is true. Faythe can be stubborn as hell! We will have to discuss that more on the shifters board! ha ha

message 7: by valee (new)

valee ;)

message 8: by Mariya (new)

Mariya (cr6zym0nkeyiz) | 487 comments Mod
i plan on reading the shifter's series in july for a group read. im really excited to read it!

message 9: by Heather (new)

Heather Book Savvy Babe (booksavvybabe) | 19 comments i plan on starting the shifter series in july too- just gotta finish up some of the other series i'm currently reading....

message 10: by Meredith Barrons (new)

I think you guys will love it!!!! I also highly recommend the Fever series by Karen Marie Moning if you haven't read that yet. I know Vale will agree with me because we are OBSESSED with it!

message 11: by valee (new)

valee lol Mer, you know me well. FEVER is the best there is out there. But that is to discuss in another group,lol.
So many amazing series out there.

message 12: by Mariya (new)

FEVER SERIES...been there, read that, LOVED IT!!! I NEED SHADOWFEVER!!!!!

message 13: by Meredith Barrons (new)

Yeah, we have been freaking out waiting for Shadowfever. I don't know how I will wait till December! It is torture!!!

message 14: by valee (new)

valee hahahaha

message 15: by Mariya (new)

Meredith Barrons wrote: "Yeah, we have been freaking out waiting for Shadowfever. I don't know how I will wait till December! It is torture!!!"

now its til january.

message 16: by valee (new)

valee I know I'm so mad.

message 17: by Mariya (new)

me too! *cries*

message 18: by Meredith Barrons (new)

WHAT THE HELL?!?!?!?! I am going to throw something!!!!!!!!!

message 19: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie (stephanie-jo) | 24 comments I like the Shifter series as well. I have been reading the Otherworld Series by Kelley Armstrong and like them. Also the Vampire Academy and Morganville Vampires are good.

message 20: by kc (4saintjude) (new)

kc (4saintjude) (4saintjude) | 160 comments Meredith Barrons wrote: "I think you guys will love it!!!! I also highly recommend the Fever series by Karen Marie Moning if you haven't read that yet. I know Vale will agree with me because we are OBSESSED with it!"
I have put this on my TBR list for November - based on the comments that it has one he!! of a cliffhanger. How many books are left in the series?

message 21: by kc (4saintjude) (new)

kc (4saintjude) (4saintjude) | 160 comments My other favorite series at the moment are Night Huntress by Jeaniene Frost, Dark Swan by Richelle Mead, Vampire Academy by Richelle Mead, BDB by JR Ward, Sookie Stackhouse by Charlaine Harris, and Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins.

I'm looking forward to adding to the list!

message 22: by Deb (new)

Deb | 77 comments Favorite series right now are: Dark Hunter by Sherrilyn Kenyon, Night Huntress by Jeaniene Frost, Vampire Academy and Morganville by Richelle Mead, and Sookie Stakhouse by Charlaine Harris..

I have a list of others to read but haven't got there yet.. In the middle of moving so once I am done I will be devoting alot of time to reading..

message 23: by Meredith Barrons (new)

Kc wrote: "Meredith Barrons wrote: "I think you guys will love it!!!! I also highly recommend the Fever series by Karen Marie Moning if you haven't read that yet. I know Vale will agree with me because we a..."

Definitely wait until Nov. to start Fever. There are going to be 4 books total and the last in the series comes out in Dec. It seems like you are a fan of all the same books as me so I think you will like it! A lot of us have finished the first three and are now banging our heads against the wall waiting until Jan for the last one!

I have to start the Dark Swan series by Richelle Mead! It is on my list and I heard it is really good!

Deb- I worked my way through all the Dark Hunter Books last summer and I loved them! It was quite a commitment because there are so many of them! I have read a lot of the Morganville books but haven't read the last two. I was starting to lose interest. Are they still any good? I will have to pick them up again!

message 24: by Mariya (last edited Jun 15, 2010 06:25PM) (new)

oh, god. that's another series i gotta read, dark swan series which i really really really wanna read. god. why r there soooo many series i wanna read all at once?

message 25: by Deb (new)

Deb | 77 comments Merdith, The Dark Hunter Series is so complicated but I loved every minute of them.. Not only do we have the books of the main series but there are the other series that tie into them as well.. Plus she just started a new series that will tie into and the next Dark Hunter book comes out by the end of the year..

As for the Mogranville series I think its a good series... Just not what I would have thought for a teen series because its slow at times.. Don't give up on it yet.. I think book 9 is due out in Dec.

I am banging my head against the wall waiting for alot of the books to come out... This is why I keep finding new series so that I can fill the waiting time.. Although I read so quickly is getting harder to do that..

message 26: by kc (4saintjude) (new)

kc (4saintjude) (4saintjude) | 160 comments Mariya & Meredith - Dark Swan is really really good. Definately Hot UF, rather than PNR. Cliffhangers, but not enough to pull your hair out. Unfortunately only two books so far, the next is due early 2011.

I love Richelle Mead, but because of the success of VA, the YA fan base seems like Twilight, instead of actual discussion topics. It is a little frustrating, which is why I tend to go overboard when her books come up!

And I will keep KMM's Fever on the list until Jan now! I have the Outlander series on the August list, I guess that is when the last book comes out for that one.

-kc

message 27: by new_user (last edited Jun 15, 2010 10:28PM) (new)

new_user I agree. People who like this series will probably like the Dark Swan series, starting with Storm Born.

You might also like the Kate Daniels series. It's also smart, tight and funny, although that series is very different because it's in an alternate reality (post-apocalyptic) and it's more action, sort of like in a comic book except with a romance.

message 28: by kc (4saintjude) (new)

kc (4saintjude) (4saintjude) | 160 comments new_user wrote: "I agree. People who like this series will probably like the Dark Swan series, starting with Storm Born.

You might also like the Kate Daniels series. It's also smart, tight and funny..."

My current two series to read are the Weather Warden series by Rachel Caine and Ilona Andrews Kate Daniels - I'm just waiting for Magic Bites to arrive!

message 29: by new_user (new)

new_user Hope you enjoy it, KC! :)

message 30: by Deb (new)

Deb | 77 comments Just finished the Night Huntress series today.. Now I need to decide what series is next... It will depend on how many books are in them.. If its only a few will start a new one before Twice Bitten comes out if not will do some rereads on a few books..

message 31: by kc (4saintjude) (new)

kc (4saintjude) (4saintjude) | 160 comments Deb wrote: "Just finished the Night Huntress series today.. Now I need to decide what series is next... It will depend on how many books are in them.. If its only a few will start a new one before Twice Bitten..."
Did you read First Drop of Crimson? You could do Richelle Mead's Dark Swan (that's only two books and really quick reads).

message 32: by Deb (new)

Deb | 77 comments KC I have read First Drop of Crimson as well... After reading the descriptions of Dark Swan not so sure how I feel about it yet... Will have to look around for something after the house is finsihed tomorrow..

message 33: by Shannon (last edited Jun 20, 2010 11:40AM) (new)

Shannon C. These series seem most simliar in style to this one. Urban fantasy with a mix of mystery, suspense, action and a little romance. They all have intriguing leading ladies as heroines....

Mercy Thompson and Alpha & Omega series by Patricia Briggs (*A FAVORITE*) - Don't miss the anthology in On the Prowl,which is a prequel to Cry Wolf

Kate Daniels series by Ilona Andrews (*A FAVORITE*)

Cassandra Palmer series and Dorina Basarab Dhampir series (*A FAVORITE*) by Karen Chance

World of Lupi series by Eileen Wilks

October Daye series by Seanan McGuire (no romance in storyline but still good urban fantasy)

Kara Gillian series by Diana Rowland

Elemental Assassin series by Jennifer Estep

Circle series by Linda Robertson

Fever series by Karen Moning

Also, here are some good paranormal romance series that have interesting leading gal characters as well as a good humor and snarky dialogue, reminicient of Chicagoland Vampires....

Night Huntress series by Jeaniene Frost (*A FAVORITE*)

Pride Stories by Shelly Laurenston (*A FAVORITE*)

Immortals After Dark series by Kresley Cole (*A FAVORITE*)

Dragon Kin series by G.A. Aiken

message 34: by Deb (new)

Deb | 77 comments Thanks everyone for the suggestions..

message 35: by Mariel (last edited Jun 20, 2010 12:43PM) (new)

Mariel (fuchsiagroan) I'm obsessed with the Fever series too. The Mercy Thompson books are my favorites, with Kate Daniels in second.

What about Sookie Stackhouse? I think those are pretty similar to Chicagoland too.

I'm reading the Night Huntress series (LOVE it) and two of the Cassandra Palmers. Those are pretty good, if not obsession inspiring like Fever (I'm dying waiting for January).

And Vampire Academy ya books are great. Especially if you loved Buffy the Vampire Slayer angst. My sis gave me Mead's Stormborn book to read. I gave her Fever to read right after she finished Chicagoland, actually. I'm a great sis.

message 36: by Shannon (new)

Shannon C. Oh, Sookie is a good suggestion. Didn't think about that one!

That also reminds me of the new Jane True series by Nicole Peeler.

Both of these series are good urban fantasy with a nice mix of humor, suspense, action, mystery and romance.

I also agree about Vampire Academy...for young adult it's surprisingly good.

message 37: by Deb (new)

Deb | 77 comments Sookie is a great series, one of my favorites...

I just downloaded several of the suggested series for my ereader.. this way when I can't get online I will have plenty to read..

message 38: by Mariya (new)

night huntress and fever series r amazing! seriously cant wait for the next cat and bone book!

message 39: by Deb (new)

Deb | 77 comments I will have to make fever the first new series I read..

message 40: by valee (last edited Jun 20, 2010 01:20PM) (new)

valee I love fever series, but I guess you knew that,lol. January is too far away!!!! So unfair, That 5th book better be huge,lol.

Sookie series is great as well. And nigh huntress is another of my obsessions,lol.

message 41: by Mariya (new)

oh, we knoe how obsessed u r, vale. haha. i hope book 5 will be huge and i mean HUGE!!!!

@deb: u really do need to read the fever series. it is a must.

message 42: by Deb (new)

Deb | 77 comments I am obsessed with the Night Huntress Series as well... I am hoping for the postponed wedding..

message 43: by Mariya (new)

Deb wrote: "I am obsessed with the Night Huntress Series as well... I am hoping for the postponed wedding.."

omg. i cant believe i forgot about that!

message 44: by kc (4saintjude) (new)

kc (4saintjude) (4saintjude) | 160 comments Shannon - thanks for the list, there were some in there that I hadn't heard of.

All this indirect talk of Bones *sigh* is making me think of my top heroes (which changes every now and then). So ladies, who are your top 5 literary heroes and the books they are from. Here are mine (not necessarily in order):
Darcy - P&P (duh)
Bones - Night Huntress series
Ethan - duh
Dimitri - Vampire Academy series
Vishous - BDB (periodically, Z & him switch)

Cooincidently, these books are also ones that I keep re-reading or listen to repeatedly.

Dimitri pushed Edward off my list and Ethan pushed Gilbert Blythe from the Anne of Green Gabels books off the list. I also think it is funny that Vampires now make up 3/5 of the list.

message 45: by Deb (new)

Deb | 77 comments KC Nice list.. I will have to think about mine now...

I will say this Bones, Dimitri,Ethan, and Eric will for sure be on it...

message 46: by kc (4saintjude) (new)

kc (4saintjude) (4saintjude) | 160 comments Deb wrote: "KC Nice list.. I will have to think about mine now...

I will say this Bones, Dimitri,Ethan, and Eric will for sure be on it..."

The very very sad part is that leaves only 1 more....

message 47: by Deb (new)

Deb | 77 comments I know... and just can't seem to think of anyone for it... Maybe as I read more series I'll come up with the last one.. Not to mention they are all vamps..

message 48: by Mariya (new)

these r my guys:

*patch from hush hush by fitzpatrick
*edward from twilight by meyer
*ethan sullivan from chicagoland vampires by neill
*barrons from fever series by moning
*dimitri & adrian from vampire academy by read
*bones from night huntress by frost
*wraith & shade from the demonica series

message 49: by kc (4saintjude) (new)

kc (4saintjude) (4saintjude) | 160 comments Mariya wrote: "these r my guys:

*patch from hush hush by fitzpatrick
*edward from twilight by meyer
*dimitri & ad..."

That is 9!

Side note - I saw your review on Hush Hush when I added it to my list. I can't wait for this to come from the library.

message 50: by Mariya (new)

oops. kinda copied it from other post. sorry.

top 5 is this:

*dimitri from vampire academy by read
*bones from night huntress by frost
*patch from hush hush by fitzpatrick(**my favorite bad boy guardian angel)

« previous 1 3 4 5