Terminalcoffee discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Feeling Nostalgic? The archives > What's in your garden this year?

Comments Showing 1-50 of 123 (123 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3

message 1: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments What's in your garden year, if you have one? What would you like to put in your garden if you don't?

(I'll answer later today, as I'm headed to the garden store right now.)

message 2: by smetchie (new)

smetchie | 4034 comments weeeeeeeeeeeeeds.

message 3: by [deleted user] (new)

Tomatoes(regular & cherry), bell peppers, onions, broccoli, zucchini, carrots, peas, asparagus, garlic, raspberries, blueberries, rhubarb, cilantro, basil, chives and parsley.

message 4: by Sally, la reina (new)

Sally (mrsnolte) | 17338 comments Mod
I have bush beans this year.

message 5: by ms.petra (new)

ms.petra (mspetra) tomatoes(early girl and roma), green and yellow bell peppers, jalapeno peppers, eggplant, zucchini, strawberries, rasberries, and always the beloved weeds!

message 6: by Sally, la reina (new)

Sally (mrsnolte) | 17338 comments Mod
Are those the tomatoes to grow here, Petra?

message 7: by Sandi (new)

Sandi (sandikal) I have the zucchini from hell. I bought a 4" container at Easter. Right now, I am getting zucchini that turn into monsters before I have a chance to pick them.

My watermelon vines are starting to take off and I should be getting some ripe tomatoes next month. We ate our first garden bell pepper tonight, along with the only decent-size zucchini.

message 8: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments The zucchini from hell. Heh.

I'm going to plant three big sage pots today. My older sage is losing its strength and I need more for the fall.

My kids are trying watermelon this year, Sandi...we'll see how they do...

message 9: by ms.petra (new)

ms.petra (mspetra) Sally wrote: "Are those the tomatoes to grow here, Petra?"

Those are just the one I like. I usually don't plant until the end of May and the early girls seem to be the ones that I can fully enjoy before the frost hits/if the frost comes early.
Sandi, try slicing the big ones and grilling them like hamburgers with a little olive oil and seasonings of your choice...yummy!
RA, I also have a little herb patch and I have some yellow sage that just comes back every year and it is still really potent. Also, I have oregano that has taken over. I cut it and take it to work I have so much! I always forget to dig up the rosemary and bring it inside so I always end up buying that every spring.

message 10: by Phil (new)

Phil | 11669 comments I have two artichoke plants and they're both producing like crazy. Do these things think they're zucchini or something??

Strawberries are doing well, whatever gourd I planted seems to be progressing, the onions & garlic are ready to rock, the broccoli is getting lusher and the pear trees appear to be headed to a massive year. Only thing slacking is the rhubarb.

message 11: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments Petra, what are you going to do with the spreading oregano? I'm hesitant to plant some outside of pots because I hear it spreads like crazy.

I'm also jealous of Phil's garlic.

message 12: by [deleted user] (new)

Our pear and apple trees are loaded this year too Phil.

message 13: by Kevin (new)

Kevin  (ksprink) | 11469 comments green beans, various tomato plants, zucchini, broccoli, asparagus, butternut squash, green onions and of course my hot pepper garden complete with bhut jolokia, cayenne, jalapeno, thai dragon and a couple of misc pepper plants.

message 14: by ms.petra (new)

ms.petra (mspetra) RandomAnthony wrote: "Petra, what are you going to do with the spreading oregano? I'm hesitant to plant some outside of pots because I hear it spreads like crazy.

I'm also jealous of Phil's garlic."

mmm garlic.
I just divide it and give it to whoever wants it and if no takers I trash it. I tried drying it and giving it to people, but if they don't cook, they look at me and ask if I have any papers.

message 15: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 13815 comments Raspberries, strawberries, yellow pear tomatoes, yellow cherry tomatoes, cherry tomatoes, roma tomatoes, early girl tomatoes, Lemon Boy tomato, Sweet Million Tomato, chocolate mint, pineapple mint, rosemary, ghost eggplant, Thai eggplant, green bell pepper, yellow bell pepper, tomatillo, jalapeno, beets, Red Bibb lettuce, mesclun greens, cantaloupe, sage, pineapple sage, cilantro, oregano, purple basil, thai basil, sweet basil, lemon basil.

message 16: by Kevin (new)

Kevin  (ksprink) | 11469 comments i wanna go to sarah pi's for a garden salad party

message 17: by Sarah (last edited Jun 16, 2010 11:48AM) (new)

Sarah | 13815 comments You're invited any time, Kevin!
They're not all ready at once, though.
For tonight I have lettuce and yellow cherry tomatoes.

And all the herbs, but I haven't gone shopping so I don't really have anything to put them on.

message 18: by Kevin (new)

Kevin  (ksprink) | 11469 comments i'll bring the raspberry vinaigrette dressing

message 19: by Kevin (new)

Kevin  (ksprink) | 11469 comments that's the way i am about bleu cheese dressing. i love bleu cheese crumbles on my salads but the dressing is not good and smells like feet when i try it

message 20: by janine (new)

janine | 7715 comments yeah, bleu cheese doesn't sound very appetizing, blue cheese on the other hand..

message 21: by Phil (new)

Phil | 11669 comments Try mango vinaigrette. I had some in Hawaii & it was wowza.

message 22: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 13815 comments Zu makes an avocado-lime dressing that is my favorite of all time.

message 23: by Lobstergirl, el principe (last edited Aug 04, 2010 07:01PM) (new)

Lobstergirl | 24286 comments Mod
Portulaca, two kinds of vinca, alyssum, calibrochoa, geranium, verbena, two kinds of petunias, zinnias.

Inside I'm growing sweet gum sprouts. I also have something that sprouted and is now about two feet tall, which I thought was a weed but now I think might be an elm sapling. It has bark.

message 24: by Phoenix (new)

Phoenix (phoenixapb) | 1619 comments All that's left are dry dead things that were supposed to be pretty...damn the heat!!!

message 25: by Cynthia (new)

Cynthia Paschen | 7131 comments The tomatoes are here!! Several red/purple heirloom varieties that are tasty and a yellow pear (cherry tomato-sized) that is pretty in a salad but blah. Got to figure out something to do with all of my rainbow chard. It's so pretty, but my family will only eat so much of it. Maybe southern-style, sauteed with bacon and onions?

message 26: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 13815 comments I agree on the yellow pear tomatoes Cynthia: pretty but blah. I have really good yellow cherry (but my soil turns them orange) and sweet millions.
My raspberry and strawberry plants are inexplicably blooming again.
The jalapenos are next.

message 27: by Kevin (new)

Kevin  (ksprink) | 11469 comments my hot peppers are coming around nicely. yesterday at lunch i chose a ripe habanero and a ripe thai dragon and sauteed them in olive oil then cracked two eggs in it and added some ham and ate the whole mess on a whole grain bagel. the thai dragons are muy caliente!! i have bhut jolokia peppers turning orange and jalepeno's, cayenne, pablano and habanero's ripening nicely. i am making spicy hot olive oil, jalepeno jelly and roasted habanero honey currently

message 28: by Cynthia (new)

Cynthia Paschen | 7131 comments jealous of Kevin's mess 'o peppers.

message 29: by ms.petra (new)

ms.petra (mspetra) My roma's are ripening nicely. Jalapenos and habeneros not far behind. I have 3 or 4 little baby eggplants that are going to make a killer parmesana in a about 10 days. Raspberries like crazy and of course the beloved and misunderstood zucchini.

message 30: by Kevin (new)

Kevin  (ksprink) | 11469 comments zucchini goes from being almost ready to Louisville Slugger in about 3 hours

message 31: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 13815 comments I made FANTASTIC zucchini last night.
Split it in half, drizzled olive oil and goat cheese and mint from the garden, wrapped it in foil, and threw it in the oven.

message 32: by Kevin (new)

Kevin  (ksprink) | 11469 comments a friend of mine makes a zucchini pie that is a custard pie with shredded zucchini in it. i need to do that

message 33: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 13815 comments Recipe? That sounds good.

message 34: by Kevin (new)

Kevin  (ksprink) | 11469 comments i'll get it from them and share it with you. it is really good

message 35: by ms.petra (new)

ms.petra (mspetra) yes, I need new recipes. there are never enough to use up the abundant zucchini. I made ten loaves of zucchini bread last weekend, wrapped them tight, and put them in the freezer. Sarah Pi, I will be trying your selection...it sounds yummy!

message 36: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 13815 comments I think I'll have to start on the zucchini bread soon. Last night I made an eggplant-zucchini-tofu stir fry, but I still have about four zucchini left.

message 37: by Cynthia (new)

Cynthia Paschen | 7131 comments My 3 varieties of eggplant are all ripening at the same time!! White round, purple Japanese (long) and basic purple. I better get cooking.

message 38: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 13815 comments My Japanese eggplant only grew one eggplant, but it was really good.
I also have ghost eggplant but I know I didn't pick the first ones in time, and now I'm paranoid about this round. How do I know when they're ready? They're tiny but the right color.

message 39: by Cynthia (new)

Cynthia Paschen | 7131 comments I think I let the white ones get too big. In the farmer's mkt. they are usually the size of baseballs. Mine are more like softballs--too much rain lately.

message 40: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 13815 comments Mine are tennis balls.

message 41: by Phil (new)

Phil | 11669 comments Sarah Pi wrote: "Mine are tennis balls."

Wait. Are we still talking about eggplant here?

message 42: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 13815 comments Yes. Same disclaimer as in the nuts folder, Philbert.

message 43: by Cynthia (new)

Cynthia Paschen | 7131 comments Yeah, Phil. Boys.

message 44: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 13815 comments I already complained on Facebook, but here I am again. What's in my garden this year?
The feckin' dog.
I finally caught him, scaling the chicken wire like Spiderman. I tell myself tomatoes will be over soon, but really melons will be just as bad. He loves melon.

message 45: by Lobstergirl, el principe (new)

That's funny. I used to have a cat that would go nuts for cantaloupe. Not in a garden, though. Indoors. If you cut into a cantaloupe she would come running.

I was growing sweet gum seedlings in a pot indoors and decided one day to put it outside. Big mistake - a squirrel got in there and dug up half the pot and left dirt everywhere. I managed to replant several of the seedlings but he ruined my moss. I had a nice soft layer of moss growing over it.

message 46: by Lobstergirl, el principe (new)

Man, my calibrachoa went downhill fast. About 2 purple flowers rising from a mass of dead brown stems.

message 47: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 13815 comments BunWat wrote: "Hmm, this dog might need a good talking to."

This dog needs a weight belt to keep him on the ground.

message 48: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 13815 comments Yes. Tithing for the dog. If only he could be satisfied with one in ten tomatoes.

message 49: by Phil (new)

Phil | 11669 comments In my garden? Yesterday it was APHIDS!

Lucky I had that good ol' malathion around. Those suckers are TOAST!

message 50: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 13815 comments Zu just called to say that Bo had discovered the canteloupe. She caught him before he could dig in.

« previous 1 3
This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.