Provo City Library Book Club discussion

Themes or Issues > Gamemakers

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Provo (new)

Provo City Library | 111 comments Mod
Discuss the ways in which the Gamemakers control the environment and "entertainment" value of the Games. How does it affect the tributes to know they are being manipulated to make the Games more exciting for the gamblers and viewers?

message 2: by Adrienne (new)

Adrienne | 30 comments Mod
The Games are supposed to be entertaining--at least to those in the Capitol; the audience in the districts might just be horrified by it all. I think the fact that the Gamemakers can manipulate things makes the whole experience more nerve-wracking for the tributes, and it takes away some strategy options. For example, with Katniss, she was trying to lay low at the beginning--but the Gamemakers rigged things to throw her together with the other tributes. Also, the Gamemakers can either play to people's strengths or their weaknesses, which could even out the playing field or it can definitely give someone an edge.

message 3: by Bethany (new)

Bethany | 2 comments It would add even more uncertainty into an already uncertain scenario. The psychological effect of knowing that someone is responsible for the games and actively manipulating the environment and the tributes' situations is an interesting one. If I were a tribute I would have a lot of resentment for the people responsible and more apprehension at what surprises and unnatural things would be a part of the games.

message 4: by Provo (new)

Provo City Library | 111 comments Mod
It could also create a sense of apprehension--what if the Gamemakers just don't like a particular tribute? That tribute might find the arena manipulated against him/her. On the other hand, a Gamemaker liking a particular tribute could give that person an advantage. Do you think the fact that Plutarch Heavensbee (the head Gamemaker for the Quarter Quell) is a part of the rebellion offer Peeta and Katniss a certain measure of protection in the Games?

message 5: by Adrienne (new)

Adrienne | 30 comments Mod
I think a different Head Gamemaker might have killed Katniss off right at the beginning because it would quell the rebellion faster. Or maybe he/she would've killed Peeta just to spite Katniss and try to break her.