What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

Query abandoned by poster > ABANDONED. YA book about people roleplaying as romans in the future (sci-fi)

Comments Showing 1-19 of 19 (19 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by L (Sniffly Kitty) (last edited Jun 26, 2010 12:05PM) (new)

L (Sniffly Kitty) | 11 comments The main character is male and his family is in a "prestigious game" where they have to live out their lives as the Ancient Romans would despite modern technology being outside of the game building. There is something dangerous going on although I don't remember what. I think the main character tries to escape the game.

edit: publication pre-2001

MB (What she read) | 136 comments Could it be Gunpowder Empire by Harry S. Turtledove? (I've been meaning to read it but haven't yet.)

message 3: by Dawn (new)

Dawn | 221 comments The Turtledove book has the "living as Romans" thing, but there's no game involved like mentioned here.

Excellent book, though :)

L (Sniffly Kitty) | 11 comments not the right one, there wasn't any time travel. thanks for suggesting though.

message 5: by Dawn (new)

Dawn | 221 comments There isn't any time travel in the Harry Turtledove book, it's an alternate universe.

L (Sniffly Kitty) | 11 comments well it calls it crosstime travel so my bad but there weren't parallel universes in the book im trying to find.

message 7: by Mawgojzeta (new)

Mawgojzeta | 89 comments What about Ilium by Dan Simmons?

L (Sniffly Kitty) | 11 comments Not quite so epic, and it was definitely YA. The tone was more commonplace. Also the publication date should have been pre-2000.

L (Sniffly Kitty) | 11 comments thank you for suggesting though!

message 10: by Mawgojzeta (new)

Mawgojzeta | 89 comments Darn. I don't have any other suggestions. Good luck!

L (Sniffly Kitty) | 11 comments I also seem to remember that there were a lot of politics involved with playing the game.

message 12: by The Elusive (last edited Mar 26, 2012 02:40AM) (new)

The Elusive (fridelain) | 65 comments Reminds me of the "Westworld" movie.

message 13: by Mir (new)

Mir | 712 comments There's an episode of the original Star Trek about this...

message 14: by D.M. (new)

message 15: by Andy (new)

Andy Love | 2098 comments This might be "The Glory that was" by Lester Del Rey
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Glor...

message 16: by stormhawk (last edited May 13, 2012 01:06PM) (new)

stormhawk | 184 comments It's years since I read them, but Larry Niven and Steven Barnes had a series ... Dream Park, The Barsoom Project, California Voodoo Game, and so on. Don't remember any Romans, though.

message 17: by Barbara (new)

Barbara Brien | 151 comments Long shot, but have you tried Steppe? I don't remember the focus being Roman role playing, but the game aspect is there.

message 18: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Lobstergirl | 39606 comments Mod
L Sniffly Kitty, are you still looking for this book?

message 19: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Lobstergirl | 39606 comments Mod
No response, moving to Abandoned.