Charlaine Harris Book/Show Group discussion

what comes next?

Comments Showing 1-50 of 50 (50 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Mona (new)

Mona I just added the Goodreads application on Facebook. What I'm wondering is, is there a way to search for Facebook friends who also have profiles on Goodreads but who are not your friends over here? Let me try to clarify: on Facebook, you have one set of friends, on Goodreads, you have a second set of friends. Let's say you add the Goodreads application (as I have just done), can you figure out who amongst your Facebook friends also has a Goodreads account (that is not already in your Goodreads friends)?

If this feature isn't included, I think it should be.

message 2: by Marci (new)

Marci (bookjunkie71) is harris making a 9th book? she left sooo much hanging out there esp. w/ sookie and eric....?????/ has anyone heard anything?

message 3: by Debbie (new)

Debbie Moorhouse Facebook claims to notify me of those among my friends who haven't got a GR account, but in fact it lists at least one person I know has--she's the one who invited me! So I suspect it's listing those of my friends on Facebook who haven't added the GR application. Pretty useless really :).

message 4: by Zoe (new)

Zoe I also just added the GR Facebook app, and I can't even find a way to see which of my friends are also using that app. When I first added it, it showed some books that my Facebook friends had entered, but once I connected it to my GR account I can only seem to find information about my single GR friend (I'm new to the site... just came over from LibraryThing). Am I just crazy?

message 5: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Vegan (lisavegan) Actually, when I'm on facebook, I always get a section that tells me of facebook friends who have not yet joined goodreads and do I want to invite them, but almost all of them are Goodreads members; it's just that they obviously signed up on facebook & on Goodreads with different email addresses.

message 6: by Debbie (new)

Debbie Moorhouse Zoe, if you click on "Refresh box", that takes you to a GR page that shows you the "You have so many friends not yet on GoodReads" dialogue.

message 7: by Zoe (new)

Zoe Yes, but I want the exact opposite of that list. I'm not going to look through the list of 197 friends who aren't using the application to try to figure out which 5 are. Plus, even if I could figure out who those five friends were, shouldn't there be an easy way to see their recent ratings, reviews, etc. without going to each of their profiles individually?

message 8: by Debbie (new)

Debbie Moorhouse You should be able to see their updates in your News Feed.

message 9: by Zoe (new)

Zoe I guess so. I personally prefer applications that are a bit more self-contained; I almost always unselect all the non-essential checkboxes when adding an app. I also think it would be a bit friendlier if people who added the app could immediately see something interesting. I'd certainly like to see my friends' previous ratings and reviews, not just their future ones. The Books iRead application lets you do that.

Anyway, thanks for your help, and I hope they'll consider enhancing their FB app in the future!

message 10: by Vicki (last edited Jun 14, 2008 11:01AM) (new)

Vicki (mattsmama) Actually, I noticed some discrepancy there too. I just added Goodreads to my facebook last night. At one point, it told me about some books that two of my guy friends rated recently... so obviously they MUST have it, right? Well, I was not interested in THOSE books, so i just skipped past that part. Well, now, those two guys are in my list of people who don't have it. So clearly there is something wrong with that aspect. And when I click on the friends tab, it shows me all my friends from THIS site... none of those peole have facebook. And I can't get back to a screen that shows me those ratinge from those two guys.

While I love this site overall... right now, I am still prefering the iReads app for facebook better.

message 11: by Ken (new)

Ken Some people think facebook is bad news. Others are que sera, sera about it. Of course, facebook is just one of many players on the infringement of privacy front.

http://www.boston.com/bostonglobe/edi...

message 12: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Vegan (lisavegan) Mona, Well, couldn't you just invite everyone to Goodreads and, if they're already on Goodreads, they can tell you?

message 13: by Angie (new)

Angie I am sure she is making a 9th book. This would not be the end. I think her blog says she is already starting to write it.

message 14: by Otis (new)

Otis Chandler Which pages on iRead do people like? We will have to check them out again.

message 15: by Michael (new)

Michael Economy (michaeleconomy) We have a feature:

http://www.goodreads.com/friend/impor...

that tries its best to match up your face book friends to goodreads users

message 16: by Vicki (new)

Vicki (mattsmama) I've seen that friend link before, but it's got some drawbacks.

When I click on a friend, it takes me to their Facebook profile. If they are not displaying their goodreads on their page, that makes it pointless.

In comparing the ireads on Facebook... and the Goodreads App on Facebook, here's what I like on iReads better...

I can see my friends right on my profile. I can easily see what they are reading. I can click on one of them and see their reviews. I don't have to go to the app's page and figure out where to locate a link to find their Facebook profile... which I could have just looked at in the first place. I also like the Chuck a Book feature... when I see a book that a friend would like, I can "chuck" it at them.

I love the Goodreads site, don't get me wrong.... I am just not crazy about the Facebook app.

Similarly, I had to take the app off of Myspace too. Something on my page is conflicting with it and shrinking it. I have NO idea why. I just pasted the widget in my "Books" section instead.

message 17: by Zoe (new)

Zoe The page I like on iRead is the "Check out your friend's [sic] reads" one, which shows summaries for each friend of how many books they've added and how many favourites, ratings, and reviews they have. Plus, I like it that I can then click on a particular friend and see the books that they've listed within the application; I don't have to go to their profile page, where they may or may not have decided to display the application.

message 18: by Otis (new)

Otis Chandler Great suggestions! We'd really like to improve the FB app a bit too.

message 19: by Megan (new)

Megan Hi Otis -- If an FB app tweak/overhaul is done, I would love to see the ability to choose what shelves are posted on the profile page, e.g., not just "reading" and "read." Or, if that already exists and I haven't figured it out, let me know!

message 20: by Brandy (new)

Brandy I just found this yesterday! If you open your GoodReads on Facebook, in the upper-right corner there's a tiny, gray link for "settings." Click that, and then in the third section down, use the "Click here to edit your profile box settings." You can put in up to three shelves, sort them by any number of ways (I picked "date reviewed"; "date added" wasn't very useful to me), and display up to 10 books per shelf.

Enjoy!

message 21: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Vegan (lisavegan) Thanks Brandy. I'll check it out. Even though I've been happy enough with how my Goodreads account shows on Facebook.

message 22: by Lynn (new)

Lynn | 46 comments where is her blog?

Jael ~ *~ Syhren ~* ~ (wwwgoodreadscomprofilejael) | 182 comments I read somewhere I think it was in the TrueBlood Updates in this group( maybe the comic con link) where it says she's actively writng the ninth book.

message 24: by Nicole (new)

Nicole (nlojeda) | 471 comments Mod
Yup, it was in the comic con link.

message 25: by Melissa (new)

Melissa There is a message posted in the Paranormal Romance group, under the Paranormal Romance sub heading, under the topic Sookie Stackhouse and book suggestions that goes into detail about what will happen in Sookie's future. It is message 12 posted by Anita and it was info that she got from attending a Charlaine Harris book signing. I hope you can find it - I'm not sure if I could have created a link to it or copied it so I didn't try.

message 26: by Lynn (new)

Lynn | 46 comments I copied it:I went to a Charlaine Harris "Dead to Worse" book signing last night, which was proceeded by 30 minutes of Q&A. This is what I recall:

She's writing the next Sookie book right now - half done. It will be published next May.

The Sookie series does not have a set number of books - she'll keep writing them until she runs out of ideas.

She's known since very early on who Sookie will end up with (which to me means that she will end up with a character introduced in book one, maybe book two). My money's on Sam, the restaurant owner.

Eric wasn't intended to be a major character at first, but he was so fun to write, she just went with it.

She's spent some time on the set of the new Sookie series (I forget the name) that will take the Saprano's time slot on HBO starting in September. It will loosely follow one book each season. She warned that there are some differences from the book, but she trusts the writers/producers to do a great job. She's met the cast and says the guy who plays Andy Belfleur is a dead ringer for her image of Andy. All of the major characters from the book are in the series. She's actively trying to write more of Sherriff Derborn (might have the name wrong) into the series because she loves the actor that plays the sherriff.

She said (jokingly) that whenever she gets bored, she kills off a character.

Quinn is definately in the next book.

Sookie will continue to face calamadies - she gets her breathing room between books, not in them.

Dead to Worse is #6 on the NYT bestsellers list. (The Host is #1).

Charlaine never has much of a plan when she starts writing a book - she prefers to go with the flow.

Charlaine had a very pleasant demenor and was very kind to her fans, clearly appreciative of their support.

My guess is that a little under 100 people showed up for the book signing - but there were still chairs available. Some people brought stacks of books to sign, which she did with a smile.

She does not plan to write another Shakespeare book. (an early mystery series) There will be at least one more book for the ghost whisperer series so she can find her sister (don't know what that means). She's working on another Aurora book. (Again, I know nothing.)

message 27: by Lynn (new)

Lynn | 46 comments that scares me about ERIC! But since she said early on,she COULD be talking about Eric. I love Sam, but he almost seems too nice for Sookie. Eric has been in all the books, and I love his character so I am keeping my fingers crossed!

message 28: by Melissa (new)

Melissa I always wonder why everyone really thinks Sam because I'm not sure she's ever had romantic feelings for him. I just think he has feelings for her, but she doesn't feel "that way" about him. Am I not remembering the books well enough? I am a big fan of Eric and have been from the beginning. Bill was a lesson learned and I don't think she'll ever have a relationship with him again. He's a necessary part of the world she's in so he'll be around forever (literally), but I think he'll always just be another character to create tension. I really am looking forward to the next book so that we can get some more plot going.

message 29: by Phoebebb (new)

Phoebebb I’m going to say something, and I hope no one throws things at me, but I really wasn’t impressed with her last book and I am hoping the next one will make up for it. *Ducks for cover* Its like her heart wasn’t really into it and she was just adding in fillers. I was disappointed. =(

message 30: by Melissa (new)

Melissa I was disappointed too. It's hard to wait a year and finally get your hands on the new book and then it falls short of what you'd expect from the author. I've read all of Charlaine Harris' other books and she did this in one of her mystery series and it took some time before I bothered to pick another of her books up again, but she redeemed herself. I'm hoping for a better plot in the next book.

message 31: by Colleen (new)

Colleen I wasn't disappointed with it, but I think the absence of any strong romance was a little disappointing. I think that if it didn't have the ending it did (I'm talking literally the last few pages with the boy (don't want to spoil too bad) were very sweet. I'm sort of easy to please though. I'm super excited that she's working on another book, and it's good we'll have the TB series to keep us going in the meantime!

message 32: by Colleen (new)

Colleen And I was secretly hoping that DTW was Quinn's cue to just exit gracefully! :(

message 33: by Bonnie (new)

Bonnie | 60 comments Man! I really liked the Shakespeare series better than Aurora(even though I am a librarian)
Both main characters have similarities so I guess she chose her favorite. I would LOVE to go to a Harris book signing. I wish she would come to Louisiana soon.
My bets are on Sam but I really like Quinn, Eric and even Bill(first love and all that)I think Sookie has stated several times her feelings for Sam are soemtimes more than friendship and have creeped up on her and she sees them as inappropriate because she works for him so she keeps blocking them out.
I think at some point the levee will break and a flood of emotion will be revealed and we will love reading about it all.

message 34: by Lynn (new)

Lynn | 46 comments I don't know. I can see where you are coming from, but I think Sookie is ok with Sam and someone else. Although she isn't fond of the idea, it didn't bother her like Selah and Bill. Tanya did, but I think that was for reasons having little to do with Sam and more to do with Tanya being a bitch. Also, it took Sam years to tell Sookie how he felt, when it would have been so easy to tell her from the beginning. And, I think if Sookie really liked Sam that him being her boss would not matter. She doesn't even want to sneak around. I mean seriously, why should he being her boss matter more than him being a shifter or Eric and Bill being vampires. I think his being her boss is a welcome excuse to not hooking up with him, fully.

Jael ~ *~ Syhren ~* ~ (wwwgoodreadscomprofilejael) | 182 comments Ok I think people think Sookie will end up with Sam because of the last book and how Sookie seemed to start seeing Sam as more than just a friend or in a new light. Also no one ever tals bout this but was anyone shoced how Arlene changed up on Sookie? They were friends and now that she's with the organization that's aginst vamps she's just turning her back on Sookie. Everytime I read about Arlene I see red.

message 36: by Jess (new)

Jess (jessartisan) Yeah, I hate what happened with Arlene. Fanaticism sucks.

message 37: by Lynn (new)

Lynn | 46 comments Yeah, I could see Arlene trying to kill Sookie for the good of FTS.

message 38: by Angie (new)

Angie I was disappointed in the last book which I wrote about in the spoiler section of that book. I think Sookie might end up with Sam just because they have mortality in common.

message 39: by Ranata (new)

Ranata Clark (thatchicknata) I totally agree, Jess. Arlene has been brainwashed and she'll take Sookie down if she had to. So much for BFFs.

And Selah dating Bill DID bother Sookie, Lynn. She was jealous at first but I think she totally got over it when she found out why he ran out on her back in Club Dead when Eric made him tell her what he had done.

message 40: by Jael ~ *~ Syhren ~* ~ (last edited Jul 30, 2008 02:21PM) (new)

Jael ~ *~ Syhren ~* ~ (wwwgoodreadscomprofilejael) | 182 comments Ok hears a question Since Harris has known early on who Sookie is to be with and she was only going to make Eric a minor character does that mean Eric is not the one who Harris has in mind for Sookie. I still haven't read the first book but Sookie and Bill started dating right and Sam was he showing "more than friends" feelings towards Sookie in the first book. I would hate to see Sookie end up with Bill.

message 41: by Ranata (new)

Ranata Clark (thatchicknata) I think it'll be Sam personally.. He's been here since the beginning.

message 42: by Lynn (last edited Jul 30, 2008 03:24PM) (new)

Lynn | 46 comments Thats what I said, Sam with the maenad didn't bother her like Selah and Bill (did). I guess you just misread it

message 43: by Lynn (new)

Lynn | 46 comments I could see it being Sam, but I think Harris will have to develop him more as a character-make him more interesting. I think there is a lot of possibility for that considering readers don't know much about his personal history. It is pretty cool that he can shift into anything that he wants. Isn't he the only shifter we have seen in the series that can do that? I think so. He seems a lot more than Were anything.

I wonder, with the intro of her gramps, if Sookie will have any love interest from the fae world. That would really piss Eric off.

I am still hoping for Eric, but how could you not like Sam. If I didn't feel like Sookie would be settling for Sam, I would be all for him. OK-maybe not, I love Eric.

Jael ~ *~ Syhren ~* ~ (wwwgoodreadscomprofilejael) | 182 comments LOL yeah If Sookie got with Sam we'd all be settling especially since the majority of the readers love Eric. I am all for a love interest from the Fae world , just to see how Eric reacts.

message 45: by Lynn (new)

Lynn | 46 comments Yeah, I kind of feel the same way about Eric as I do Edward from Twilight. They are nothing alike, but both author's knew what they were doing by creating such interesting, dynamic, hot characters. I think if the author's are writing such loveable characters there is a reason.

message 46: by Ranata (new)

Ranata Clark (thatchicknata) I forgot Edward as my favorite hot vampire. He's number one for me! He's amazing. I enjoyed the books just because he was in them.

It's Edward from Twilight, Eric, Jean Claude from Anita Blake and Bones from The Night Huntress. Great male vampire characters, all of them but they are all so different. I love it.

Jael ~ *~ Syhren ~* ~ (wwwgoodreadscomprofilejael) | 182 comments Ranata- You have all my fave vmps on your list.

message 48: by Ranata (new)

Ranata Clark (thatchicknata) Cool. I knew we were friends for a reason! You got great taste in undead men! LOL

Jael ~ *~ Syhren ~* ~ (wwwgoodreadscomprofilejael) | 182 comments LOL too bad I can't say that about men in real life. :)

message 50: by Ranata (new)

Ranata Clark (thatchicknata) Girl, I have the same issue! LOL