Goodtunes discussion

Anything Music Related > Music in literature

Comments Showing 1-12 of 12 (12 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Mariel (last edited Jun 11, 2010 11:42AM) (new)

Mariel (fuchsiagroan) Have you ever read about music in a book that stood out to you? Even though you couldn't hear the music?

Martin Millar's books feature music often. The Runaways were a big part of Lonely Werewolf Girl. The New York Dolls in The Good Fairys of New York. That made me interested in the band and now I listen to them often. Because I could understand how important they were to the characters.

Charles De Lint even published the sheet music played in his novel The Secret Country. The magic in the book was in the music. (De Lint himself plays in a folk band in Canada.) I wished that I could play the music myself.

Sometimes the use comes off as fanfic-y to me. I just read Tempest Rising by Nicole Peeler. All of the playlist stuff came off as "I want everyone to know what I like". (Stephanie Meyer just put her list on her website. Isn't that enough?) I guess there is a fine line. Music taste is an important part of a person. I did not mind at all the mentions of Mac's playlist in the Fever series (it came off as similar to Dean's classic rock tastes on Supernatural). As her personality changed, so did her music. A play by play of a David Gray song in Tempest was annoying.

Music quotes at the end chapters in The Watchmen was like magic everything-ties-together prophetic feeling. A lot of times I don't notice it in other things. After Watchmen that became overused in comics.

Do you feel anything from music mention in books? Or do you think the authors just impose their own taste onto the characters as an ego thing?

message 2: by Mariel (new)

Mariel (fuchsiagroan) And does anyone else try to imagine what a fictional band will sound like?

The Weird Sisters in the Goblet of Fire film wasn't what I had imagined.

I'm going to start War for the Oaks by Emma Bull soon. I imagine this will be one of those times. Maybe it'll be like dream music. I don't play an instrument or anything (at least not since elementary school when I rocked the recorder and the triangle), but I've had many music dreams I wish were really songs.

Danielle The Book Huntress  (gatadelafuente) I think that it's touchy to do that with current bands, unless you pick timeless music.

I like when the author dashes it in here and there. I wouldn't want the whole book to be filled with it. I like when the author makes up a band and an artists, and describes what their music sounds like. It seems more authentic to me. You have me curious about some of those books and music you mentioned, Mariel.

message 4: by Randi (new)

Randi (The Artist Formerly known as Guitar Chick) (guitarchick) | 328 comments The Runaways in Lonely Wolfgirl?????? Hmm...

And there was also the highly butchered rent it if you want to Runaways movie.

message 5: by Dana * (new)

Dana * (queenofegypt) Stephen King always puts some musical references in his work, and I like that, it really sets a mood for the story. Often times it is fictional and may be tied to a character, like in The Stand "Baby can you dig your man" and then Joe Hill did the same in Heart Shaped Box, where the main characters was an old beat up singer.

message 6: by Randi (new)

Randi (The Artist Formerly known as Guitar Chick) (guitarchick) | 328 comments Heart Shpaed Box is also a Nirvana song.....

And the soundtrack to Lord of the Rings is beautiful. I'm learning how to play some of it.

message 7: by Lori (new)

Lori (barfield) | 513 comments Mod
I can't remember the songs they listened to, but also in The Stand Fran gets her old school record player out and plays some songs for her and Harold to dance to.

message 8: by Amanda (new)

Amanda M. Lyons (amandamlyons) Lori wrote: "I can't remember the songs they listened to, but also in The Stand Fran gets her old school record player out and plays some songs for her and Harold to dance to."

I remember in the tv movie it was "Don't Dream it's Over" they listened to and how appropriate it was. Also the movie played "Don't Fear the Reaper" at the beginning and it was quoted at that point in the book.

message 9: by Lori (new)

Lori (barfield) | 513 comments Mod
Thanks Amanda :) I couldn't pull it up.

message 10: by Marco (new)

Marco (marcoreads) | 131 comments Nirvana's come as you are???

marcho

message 11: by Jena (new)

Jena (outlanderfan74) I'm glad Stephen King's use of music in his novels has been mentioned, because I think he is a master at fitting appropriate songs with the characters and/or happenings in his books.
"Christine" was one of my favorites for this marriage of music and writing. Hearing those innocent 50s love songs in the clutches of an evil possessed Studebaker was classic!

Danielle The Book Huntress  (gatadelafuente) The Name of the Wind has a strong focus on music. It's one of the things I loved about this book.