Tips for Self Promotion, Sales, and Advertising discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Amazon Tips > Attention ALL authors: free Amazon promotion!

Comments Showing 1-45 of 45 (45 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Rowena (new)

Rowena (rowenacherry) | 334 comments Mod
Tom,
One of the tags you use for the Listmania ought to be "GoodReads Author". There is already a "GoodReads Author" Community (owing to tagging)... there is also a "GoodReads" Community.

Listmanias can show up in the Communities. No matter how many votes it gets, it will be a prominent Listmania in the GoodReads author community.

message 2: by Rowena (new)

Question.

Your title is "Independent Authors"? Does this mean that traditionally published authors need not apply?

message 3: by Rowena (new)

Tom,
I'm relieved. :-) I do think "Independent" might confuse both authors who'd like to participate and more importantly Amazon readers, some of whom make a point of supporting independent authors (in the self-published sense).

Possible alternatives might include "Savvy Goodreads" of course, we'd show up among the vacuum cleaners, but that might not be all bad.

"GoodReads" is always good.

Brutally honest would be "Self-Promoting". Sometimes, honesty gets respect, and since we are writing our own blurbs, that might be upfront.

"Enterprising" implies both Independent and Self-promoting without using either term.

"Goodreads Tips Group"

message 4: by Rowena (new)

"Online"

message 5: by Rowena (new)

No one else is awake. LOL.

Meanwhile, have you drafted the List description explaining why you have assembled this eclectic collection of fascinating works?

That is going to be really important.

And, Tom, if you and your book are not currently tagged as GoodReads and GoodReads Author, delete a less important tag and get yourself onto those communities.

message 6: by Jeffrey (new)

Jeffrey Crimmel (jeffreyrcrimmelcom) | 43 comments I love this idea. I am so in. I will send you my info right now while having coffee.

message 7: by Jeffrey (new)

Jeffrey Crimmel (jeffreyrcrimmelcom) | 43 comments Tom: here is my book info
1.Living Beneath the Radar, A Nine Year Journey Around the World

2. ISBN paperback 978-1-4490-8359-5

3. Genre World Travel, Adventure, Autobiography

4. This is the story of a young man who, upon graduation from college in 1969 decides to see the world. He becomes attracted to 3rd world countries and the diverse cultures that live there. He travels three times overland from Europe to India, and finally completes the circling of the globe in 1975 when he continues overland through South East Asia to Australia. He returns to the States in 1979 with a wife and 2 daughters and in 2008 he decides to put all his adventures that he had in a book for all to read. Humor, insight and travel wisdom complete these wonderful stories of his nine year journey "Living Beneath the Radar"

message 8: by Michael (new)

Michael Lauro (michaeldilauro) | 9 comments Great idea Tom, thanks for putting this together

message 9: by Rowena (new)

Hey, Jeffrey,

Since I have my moderator's hat on, I will kindly advise you to drink another coffee.

You need to re-read Tom's guidelines... One of which is "Don't post on this thread...PM Tom"

The other is the 150 character limit. You went with words. Take a look at an Amazon Listmania for inspiration. Those tiny little "why this book" boxes are about as generous as a standard Tweet.

:-)

Rowena

Jeffrey wrote: "Tom: here is my book info
1.Living Beneath the Radar, A Nine Year Journey Around the World

2. ISBN paperback 978-1-4490-8359-5

3. Genre World Travel, Adventure, Autobiography

4. This is the st..."

message 10: by Donna (new)

Donna Callea Tom or Rowena,
I'm a real dunce. How do I PM? Love the idea and want to be a part of it.
Donna

message 11: by Jeffrey (new)

Jeffrey Crimmel (jeffreyrcrimmelcom) | 43 comments Rowena. I saw that and I clicked the reply hoping it would go go him. I do not know where it should go and I have to stop drinking coffee.

message 12: by Guido (new)

Guido Henkel (guidohenkel) | 130 comments @Donna, click on Tom's picture to get to his profile. There you will find a text link that says "Send message" allowing you to send him a personal message directly.

message 13: by Rowena (new)

Dittos to Guido.

You can also click anyone's (especially Tom's) name in that tasteful recycled peasoup green font. If it's in green on GoodReads, it's probably a text link. "flag" in grey is also a text link (you can tell if you hover your cursor and it underlines itself).

Flag is to report unkindness and nastiness.

"Reply" is "reply to this conversation".

message 14: by Alan (new)

Alan (coachmt) | 20 comments Breakthrough GoodReads Authors as a title suggestion. No need to explain what exactly we're "breaking through" ; )

message 15: by Jacqueline (new)

Jacqueline | 1 comments I'd be willing to vote for this list, even if I can't get DUSHAU onto it. But I don't know how to send the private message either.

Jacqueline Lichtenberg

PS: I really do read a lot more books than my Goodreads account indicates - hundreds more per year. I could never keep up listing them all!

message 16: by Jeffrey (new)

Jeffrey Crimmel (jeffreyrcrimmelcom) | 43 comments Rowena. I sent the info directly to Tom on his site. Thanks for the info

message 17: by Diane (new)

Diane Giurco | 22 comments Great idea Tom, I will send you my info.

message 18: by Rowena (new)

LOL.

Tom's a hard man to find and PM. You have to click a lot of links, and you have to be logged in to your own account, and a soft login won't do.

Here's Tom's page.
http://www.goodreads.com/author/show/...

Now, run your eyes down the page below his photo for the "Message Tom" link. That ought to do the trick.

message 19: by Rowena (new)

Tom,

15 authors in under 24 hours is pretty good going. You could put up a respectable Listmania with that many, or with 20.

What's more, if someone wanted to be added, you can edit Listmanias.

Another thing to consider is that being on a Listmania becomes less attractive the farther down the list one is. There's most in it for the top 4 or 5 books.

As with all else, success breeds success.

You will give us details on how to vote, won't you? You will list this Listmania with Todd Fonseca's list tagging group?

http://tagmybookonamazon.wordpress.co...

All the best,
Rowena Cherry

message 20: by Jeffrey (last edited Jun 11, 2010 07:27AM) (new)

Jeffrey Crimmel (jeffreyrcrimmelcom) | 43 comments I have a request from all you writers of many books. There is a list contest for new authors and believe you me I fall into that category. I am asking for your vote. I would love to appear on Oprah and so I would love your vote. I will put the link here
http://www.goodreads.com/list/show/19...

message 21: by Rowena (new)

Gosh, Tom, you cannot mean that as an absolute rule.

I personally detest (and make a point of voting down) those pointless half-a** lists that have only, like, a half-dozen books on it. That is why I am waiting till I get 40 authors to participate.

You cannot have meant to suggest that if someone makes a list of, say, "Books I Recommend For Researching Metallurgy" that you'd vote it down as unhelpful simply because it has five titles and no more.

Rowena Cherry

message 22: by Rowena (new)

I did "get" the alphabetical rule. I meant that authors with titles beginning with "A Knight To Remember" are more likely to be enthusiastic than authors who write "The Night To Remember".

You should remind your participating authors to be sure to tag their books with their most important 15 tags.

message 23: by Guido (new)

Guido Henkel (guidohenkel) | 130 comments So, how many participants do you have so far?

message 24: by Rowena (new)

Tom wrote: ....p.s. I'm sure there are more than 6 books about Metallurgy. Got to be at least 8 or 9 :"

I'm sure there are, but maybe not every one is going to be a top pick that I'd recommend to other authors writing Lord Of The Rings From Lord Elrond's POV. (If that's what I was doing).

Nor, with the schedule expected of a fiction author, am I going to read every book ever written on a subject when I can only use a fraction of the cool stuff that's around.

message 25: by Kristen (new)

Kristen | 2 comments I'm in! I'm just not awake enough to send my info now. Will send in the AM.

message 26: by David (new)

David McAfee (DavidLMcAfee) | 2 comments How do you send private messages?

message 27: by Jeffrey (new)

Jeffrey Crimmel (jeffreyrcrimmelcom) | 43 comments The old fashion way. Send a letter.

message 28: by Shayne (new)

Shayne | 1 comments What a great idea! I've sent a PM (not to be confused with a Prime Minister).

message 29: by Guido (new)

Guido Henkel (guidohenkel) | 130 comments @David, click on Tom's picture to get to his profile. There you will find a text link that says "Send message" allowing you to send him a personal message directly.

message 30: by Sibel (new)

Sibel Hodge | 7 comments Fantastic idea! I've sent you a PM Tom.

message 31: by Rowena (new)

Kudos, Tom. 40 authors in less than 48 hours. You rock.

message 32: by Danielle (new)

Danielle Bourdon (daniellebourdon) | 8 comments Of course I find this too late to make list # 1. How's list #2 looking?

Great idea, btw!

Danielle

message 33: by Jeffrey (new)

Jeffrey Crimmel (jeffreyrcrimmelcom) | 43 comments way to go Tom

message 34: by Jay (new)

Jay Bell (jaybell) | 6 comments Just added mine for list two and will vote when the first link is posted.

message 35: by Kristen (new)

Kristen | 2 comments I see the list is up. (http://www.amazon.com/lm/R1ZHL963HXT2... I'd made it. I thought I'd responded in time, but maybe the next one? How do I vote on the list?

message 36: by Jay (new)

Jay Bell (jaybell) | 6 comments Toward the right there is a box that says "List Stats" Inside it asks if you find the list helpful. Just click "yes" to vote.

message 37: by Guido (new)

Guido Henkel (guidohenkel) | 130 comments Very cool beans, Tom!

message 38: by David (new)

David McAfee (DavidLMcAfee) | 2 comments Thanks, Tom!

message 39: by Michael (new)

Michael Lauro (michaeldilauro) | 9 comments Tom,

Thanks for taking the time to put these lists together. Now authors, it's up to us to promote these lists and get folk voting!

message 40: by Linda (new)

Linda (linda_ballou) | 1 comments I want to join in, but right now I just don't have the time ...I will come back later to this very good idea.
Linda

message 41: by Jaleta (new)

Jaleta Clegg | 32 comments Voted on both. Thanks, Tom!

message 42: by John (new)

John Pearson (misterteacher) | 5 comments Hi Tom,
I got your email saying that Learn Me Good would be added to the 2nd list. But I just looked at both lists, and LMG is not on either one...
Also, I've voted yes on both lists, and even waited 5 minutes before refreshing, and the vote tally has not gone up...
Not sure what I'm doing wrong, in either case.

John

message 43: by Rowena (new)

John,

You were logged in to your amazon account, weren't you? Did you try vote, refresh, wait, vote again?

I think other people may have been voting at the same time that I was. Either that, or amazon has been having serious problems today.

Thanks for voting!

message 44: by Alison (new)

Alison | 55 comments Thanks Tom, much appreciated. Will spread the word on facebook etc.

message 45: by Delyse (new)

Delyse Trink | 8 comments Hi Tom,
I voted on the list--I got your message that Wrapped in a Rainbow was on the list but I don't see it on either list?
Delyse

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.