Metafilter discussion

A glass at the bar inscribed with an author of your choice!

Comments Showing 1-13 of 13 (13 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Greg (new)

Greg Erskine (gregnog) | 20 comments A few years back, I had a delicious, delicious peanut-butter burger at this bar called Bukowski's in Boston. One of the other neat things about the bar, besides the burgers, was that if you're a regular there, you can have your own custom glass that they keep at the bar for you. Said glass is then engraved with the name of one of your favorite authors (assuming that someone else hasn't already snagged your author for their own glass).

Unfortunately, I don't live near there, so it doesn't make much sense for me to have a glass. But which author would I pick if I did live nearby?

My gut feeling is Christopher Marlowe, because dude was just RAW AS HELL -- brash, hard-drinking, possibly a spy, killed in a barfight. But by the same rationale, I think there's a solid chance that he's probably already been taken by someone else. Possibly even by someone more appropriate to Marlowe; a wispy-goatee'd atheist or doublet-wearing university student or summat.

So maybe Virginia Woolf, instead, because goodness gracious, I sure do love her. But something about drinking from a glass inscribed with V-dub's name seems unnecessarily maudlin. I kinda feel like I'd always be thinking about the River Ouse while I'm tipplin', and who wants that?

GENTLE READER: Whose name would you inscribe on your drinking-glass?

message 2: by Leslie (new)

Leslie (chatongriffes) | 6 comments Oh, I would pick Faulkner. Awesome writing and he would be perhaps the best ever drinking-buddy-in-spirit!

I have to agree, drinking from a Virginia Woolf glass would probably result me being a sad drunk. Existential crisis, life-is-meaningless level sad. That's not fun at all.

message 3: by Tasha (new)

Tasha Dorothy Parker!

message 4: by Greg (new)

Greg Erskine (gregnog) | 20 comments That glass would give you +3 Charisma!

Leslie, while I also approve of your choice, I'm afraid it only gives +2 Suppressed Semi-incestual Devotion.

message 5: by Tasha (new)

Tasha Greg wrote: "That glass would give you +3 Charisma!

Leslie, while I also approve of your choice, I'm afraid it only gives +2 Suppressed Semi-incestual Devotion."

Huh. I just tried to favorite your comment. Right.

What about, say, John Irving? You'd have a hell of a story, but it would be your only one. You'd just keep recycling it and people would groan every time you were like, "Did I ever tell you about this bear that I saw? I was on the wrestling team at the time..."

message 6: by Greg (new)

Greg Erskine (gregnog) | 20 comments Oh man, I've only read A Prayer For Owen Meany. Which I guess means I'd spend my evenings at the bar screeching in Vietnamese in an unsettlingly high-pitched tone while my friends get sad.

message 7: by Greg (new)

Greg Erskine (gregnog) | 20 comments Also obligatory metafilter derision-of-Ayn-Rand comment: if I saw that anyone else in the bar had Rand's name inscribed on their glass, I would immediately feel like I had to challenge them to a drinking contest, then berate them for not "Going Galt" enough when they lose.

message 8: by Alison (new)

Alison | 2 comments Although I think Flann O'Brien's name would fit nicely on a pint glass, I would personally love to have a matched set of John Cheever highball glasses to sip from whilst sitting by a suburban pool.

haveanicesummer | 2 comments I'd get Joseph Heller inscribed on mine. Anyone and everyone else would pay for my drinks, for the good of the Syndicate.

message 10: by Tasha (new)

Tasha Alison wrote: "Although I think Flann O'Brien's name would fit nicely on a pint glass, I would personally love to have a matched set of John Cheever highball glasses to sip from whilst sitting by a suburban pool."

Totally off topic, and only barely related, but your comment reminded me that Flannery O'Connor is the best name ever. I'd like a glass to honor someone who described herself as having "a you-leave-me-alone-or-I'll-bite-you complex."

message 11: by Ohenrypacey (new)

Ohenrypacey | 13 comments Kingsley Amis, author of Everyday Drinking!

message 12: by Phoebe (new)

Phoebe (phoebereading) | 3 comments Ooh, favorite author? That's _hard_. I was going to say "Douglas Coupland, before he started writing stuff I hate." But then I realized that Ursula LeGuin is the way to go. Love her.

message 13: by Greg (new)

Greg Erskine (gregnog) | 20 comments The downside to Ursula is that you can only hoist the glass with your Left Hand Of Drunkenness.