Fingersmith Fingersmith discussion

Fingersmith: There's something about Agnes!

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Ana (new)

Ana Hello, friends!

Thanks in advance for your help!

I am beginning to read real books in English — not “graded readers”—, however my skills aren't high.

I have just finished Fingersmith, and really it touched me! What a lovely story, full of surprises, witty points and real romance.

However, I didn’t understand very well how they achieved to get rid of the poor Agnes. Would anyone be so kind as to explain to me?

Thanks!

Lizzie Bissett Ana wrote: "Hello, friends!

I am beginning to read real books in English — not “graded readers”—, however my skills aren't high.

I have just finished Fingersmith, and ..."

I read this a couple of years ago and loved it. I will dig it out and have a look and get back to you re Agnes. Meanwhile, happy reading!

Farah Hi Ana!

Don't know if you'll see this after all this time. But I wanted to answer anyway. I think Gentlemen sexually molested Agnes (can it be called rape? I'm not sure.), and the trauma of that caused her to leave. I'm not going to go into details about exactly what he did, but I think you can find enough clues from his conversation with Maud.

Anyway, I hope this helps.

message 4: by Zulfiya (last edited Nov 20, 2011 03:45PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Zulfiya I believe that Gentlemen molested her, and then she was trapped in rules and mores of her time. Se preferred to live the estate rather than 'enjoy' the reputation of being a slut and losing her position. Paraphrasing the famous sci-fi buzz phrase, one can say, 'A maid is a maid is a maid' highlighting all the meanings of the words, namely a maid is a maiden/ virgin.

Susan Ana wrote: "Hello, friends!

I have just finished Fingersmith, and really..."

Ana: I think "Gentleman" sexually violated her in some way. He probably did not rape her, because we learn later that he's impotent with women. It is implied that he forced her to have oral sex with him. Agnes knows that she can't accuse him, because no one would listen to a servant's word against that of a supposed "gentleman," and that she would be dismissed for lewd behavior rather than protected as a victim of sexual violence. So she pretends to be sick, as an excuse to leave Briar and to escape any more attentions from "Gentleman."