Terminalcoffee discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Feeling Nostalgic? The archives > Ubaldo Jimenez or Roy Halladay as NL All Star starting pitcher?

Comments Showing 1-32 of 32 (32 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by ms.petra (new)

ms.petra (mspetra) Ubaldo has been lights out, but Halladay had the PG. Ubaldo plays in Denver, but Halladay went to high school here. I have to be the homer and go for Ubaldo. Who do you think should start and what postion player should get a start but will be probably be overlooked? Is there an east coast bias in baseball?

message 2: by Kevin (new)

Kevin  (ksprink) | 11469 comments what about Silva?

message 3: by ms.petra (new)

ms.petra (mspetra) 8-0 is impressive. ERA good... let's see where June takes him

message 4: by Sally, la reina (new)

Sally (mrsnolte) | 17337 comments Mod
this thread title is like Ukranian to me.

message 5: by ms.petra (new)

ms.petra (mspetra) Sally you live in Colorado..... you don't know about the amazing feats of Ubaldo Jimenez?!

message 6: by Sally, la reina (new)

Sally (mrsnolte) | 17337 comments Mod
I live in babyland. Matt just told me that Desperate Housewives is no longer on tv.

message 7: by ms.petra (new)

ms.petra (mspetra) *tear* enjoy babyland because before you know it, they graduate from high school and you spend way too much time on the internet and baseball ;)

message 8: by Kevin (new)

Kevin  (ksprink) | 11469 comments i love that life ms. petra. ( baseball and internet) but i do want grandbabies

message 9: by ms.petra (new)

ms.petra (mspetra) me too! but no grandbabies until she is done with college :)

message 10: by Kevin (new)

Kevin  (ksprink) | 11469 comments i have two married kids so i am READY. then i will have a grandbaby to watch baseball with

message 11: by ms.petra (new)

ms.petra (mspetra) now that sounds great. what will be the first jersey you buy for him/her?

message 12: by Kevin (new)

Kevin  (ksprink) | 11469 comments castro from the cubs. a rookie for a rookie

message 13: by ms.petra (new)

ms.petra (mspetra) nice! are the cubs your team? my kiddo and I went to Cicago last year for a cubs v cards game in conjunction with a college visit. Our first time inside Wrigley...fun time.

message 14: by ms.petra (new)

ms.petra (mspetra) *Chicago

message 15: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments Ok, ok, ok. Back to the topic at hand:)

How could anyone argue against Jimenez? Stop that Silva shit, Kevin, he's good, but he shouldn't start the all star game. Unless something significant changes, Jimenez is having a first half of the season for the ages. He's in Bob Gibson territory.

message 16: by [deleted user] (new)

Silva will be the Cubs All Star this year, but Jimenez should get the start.

message 17: by ms.petra (new)

ms.petra (mspetra) http://www.democratandchronicle.com/a...

I just pray he stays healthy and we get our closer Huston Street back and that the bats start cracking and........I love baseball :)

message 18: by Phil (new)

Phil | 11669 comments I'm old school All Star game. I never voted for someone just because they were having a hot year. I always voted for those who were well on their way to the HoF.

I have no idea who I would pick this year, though, for any position.

message 19: by ms.petra (new)

ms.petra (mspetra) ttp://content.usatoday.com/communities/dail...

did anyone see this? this kid looks like the real deal.

message 20: by Kevin (new)

Kevin  (ksprink) | 11469 comments uhmmm. i think i love ms. petra after all of this baseball talk

YES! i didn't actually see the game as i was driving but an incredible first outing. 7 innings, 4 hits, 2 runs (on a mistake pitch that a major leaguer made him pay for) 0 walks and 14 strike-outs!! No pitcher has ever had 14 K's and no walks in a debut and only 5 pitchers have ever done that total. ever. he K'd the last 7 guys he faced. i watched the replays and his ball moved wicked. he hit 100 several times and oodles of 99mph pitches. i think he settled down after they got the hits and HR off him (everything was hit to RF) and then he went to work. yes, he was the real deal. believe the hype

message 21: by Gus (new)

Gus Sanchez (gussanchez) Stephen Strasburg has sick talent. Sick.

message 22: by [deleted user] (new)

He didn't even come close to wilting under the pressure.

message 23: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments I don't know. We'll see. I agree he's talented, but we'll see how hitters adjust. I'm not ready to anoint him yet.

message 24: by [deleted user] (new)

At least for right now, Jimenez, hands down. With a record of 11-1 and an ERA under 1-- that is money. Halladay did have the perfect game against the Marlins, but one game doesn't make a season. Both of their career ERA's are about the same with Halladay being at it longer. I don't want to take anything away from Halladay-- I don't envy any batter that has to face either one of them-- but Jimenez is untouchable.

message 25: by Gus (new)

Gus Sanchez (gussanchez) Of course Strasburg is talented, and not to discredit the Pirates, but that was Major League hitting he faced last night.

Still, I'd like to see how Strasburg copes with being 6 runs down, and his best stuff has abandoned him.

message 26: by Kevin (new)

Kevin  (ksprink) | 11469 comments that happens to everyone at some point. all i know is that for pitchers the K is like a slam dunk. doesn't count for any more but has a higher style quotient.

i have been looking for the next nolan ryan since nolan ryan.

message 27: by ms.petra (new)

ms.petra (mspetra) and the kid did not walk anyone! RA, I have to agree with you about hitters adjusting to him. One he pitched through the line up, he gave p the home runs. However, he then finished strong with K's. He also was able to adjust to the batters adjusting to him. I heard Pudge on the radio and he made a comment like "the best stuff he's ever seen"

message 28: by ms.petra (new)

ms.petra (mspetra) Kevin "El Liso Grande" wrote: "that happens to everyone at some point. all i know is that for pitchers the K is like a slam dunk. doesn't count for any more but has a higher style quotient.

i have been looking for the next nol..."

I had handshake with Nolan Ryan at the Home Run Derby the year we had the Allstar game in Denver. I couldn't get tickets to the game, but the Home Run Derby and all that fan stuff was awesome!

message 29: by Matthieu (new)

Matthieu | 1009 comments Halladay. I'm biased, of course.

And yes, Strasburg looked great. Granted, he was facing the AA Pirates...

message 30: by Kevin (new)

Kevin  (ksprink) | 11469 comments how long did you go without washing that hand ms. petra?

message 31: by ms.petra (new)

ms.petra (mspetra) not long enough!

message 32: by Arminius (new)

Arminius | 1034 comments Being a life long Phillies fan, I would vote for Halladay but Jimenez deserves it.

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.