Ladies who love Laurell discussion

Bullet? Like or Dislike?

Comments Showing 1-42 of 42 (42 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Dani (new)

Dani | 5 comments Alrighty guys, who all is reading/done with Bullet yet? Like or dislike?

message 2: by Carolyn F. (new)

Carolyn F. Like it.

message 3: by Nicole (new)

Nicole (nikki28) | 7 comments not just liked, i loved this book, i love how LKH put women in to the mixs and the fact that Anita was ok with it all.

message 4: by Erika88 (new)

Erika88 | 2 comments finished it last week, and I can't really say that I liked it at all. It was nice that there were more females in the mix, but they weren't anything but sexual objects. The only thing I did really like was the tiger storyline, if you could get through the bulk and actually see it.

message 5: by Elle (new)

Elle Marie (ElleBelle) | 5 comments I think I'll have to reserve final judgment until I get the chance to read it through again. (I like to read books at least twice to make sure that I got everything out of them because I read very quickly.) But I did finish it, and from that I can say that I don't particularly dislike it, but I know it will not be a favorite.

message 6: by Dani (new)

Dani | 5 comments Erika88 wrote: "finished it last week, and I can't really say that I liked it at all. It was nice that there were more females in the mix, but they weren't anything but sexual objects. The only thing I did really ..."

thats why i posted this discussion because i was so up in the air about the book. I mean i liked that there were girls involved,but they were nothing more than metaphysical sex toys..we didnt get to know the female characters at all.

message 7: by Dani (new)

Dani | 5 comments Elle wrote: "I think I'll have to reserve final judgment until I get the chance to read it through again. (I like to read books at least twice to make sure that I got everything out of them because I read very ..."

I read very quickly also finished this one at the wee hours of the morning and honestly, I'm more of a fan of the early, more police work driven Anita novels. I did a dance of glee when I read Skin Trade, thinking we were getting to get more of that in Bullet..however that was so not the case, and the way she's setting up the story line, it seems like solving crimes might get pushed waaay waayy to the waste side

message 8: by Cindyg (new)

Cindyg (brotherlover) | 88 comments I loved it, Laurell had gotten away from Anita being in St. Louis and that meant our guys weren't around. I'm glad that more women were brought in to it, if for no other reason than for Anita to get over her jealousy. I always thought that was a bit to much what with her sleeping with so many men. I was happy for Asher too, he finally got what he needed from Jean Claude. I'm sure Laurell has to find a balance between Anita's crime solving and her relationship with the supernaturals. I think she did a wonderful job. I to intend to re-read but not because I'm on the fence but because I loved it so much.

message 9: by Jesse (new)

Jesse (Jessep) | 14 comments I loved it. Such character develpment in this one...Boy how things have changed. Mostly in Richard! Also, with Anita sharing so well. All of her men have shared her and a few of them even prefer it and enjoy watching, but she has never been up for sharing until now. Honestly, it was only fair to introduce another woman in the mix for the men, but I can't help that it made me jealous even though Anita was totally fine with it and agreed that there was more than enough love and sex to go around. Overall I loved it and can't wait for the next. I am going to take a breather and read a few of my happily ever after paranormal romance books with that soul-deep one on one romance because my heart is just too full with all of Anita's men right now. Although I got used to it and love it, after reading the whole series back to back in time for the new release, I'm a little dizzy. HA!

message 10: by Cindyg (new)

Cindyg (brotherlover) | 88 comments I hear ya Jesse; it can be a little overwhelming but in a good way. Have you read S. Kenyon's Dark Hunters yet? Another awesome series.

message 11: by Jesse (new)

Jesse (Jessep) | 14 comments Cindyg wrote: "I hear ya Jesse; it can be a little overwhelming but in a good way. Have you read S. Kenyon's Dark Hunters yet? Another awesome series."

YES! I love the Dark Hunters series. I read all of those back to back too! I can't wait for the new release this summer. I've been so engrossed in Hamilton over the last couple months that it's gonna be hard to let go, but when I get all anxious about a series, I've got to step away for a while, that's why I've got to take a break before starting her other series because it looks like it's similar (meaning multiple partners) and man, it is overwhelming in a good way, sometimes a very very good way, but can still be overwhelming at times.

message 12: by Hilda (new)

Hilda Hernandez (ShadowintheTwilight) | 7 comments I absolutely LOVE the Dark Hunter Series. The books never fail to make me laugh lol.

I haven't read Bullet yet (will be buying it today), but I hope that it will be as good as I hope it will be. I agree with Dani, I too did a little happy dance when I finished reading Skin Trade. The best Anita for me is the Anita that has her love life in tangles, but also the juxteposition of her somewhat vulnerable self that we see in her love life and her strong self that we see when she's doing her police work. I love that she is right there with the best of them and is underestimated. I love that side of her. BUT I also love her love life (lol). I love seeing how inside she's vulnerable as well, it makes her more human in my eyes. I love that her love life is all tangled up, but that in the end it works out. I hope Bullet doesn't focus too much on her love life. Some of my favorite books in this series are the ones that have that perfect balance of both of Anita's worlds.

message 13: by Dani (new)

Dani | 5 comments Hilda wrote: "I absolutely LOVE the Dark Hunter Series. The books never fail to make me laugh lol.

I haven't read Bullet yet (will be buying it today), but I hope that it will be as good as I hope it will be..."

i really do agree! I love all of Anita's many men, but to me Anita is a better character when she can balance both the metaphysical and romance

message 14: by Melanie (new)

Melanie (audiobookmel) I loved this book. It was great to get all the characters (not just the men, but the body guards too) back on stage. I hope Richard stays on the same patch of not being a pain in the ass. I am very happy for Asher. I was very surprised about Micah and Nathanial, I never saw that coming, but I don't think it is a bad thing. I will not miss Haven, but I think seeing Anita's emotions about killing him shows that she is not the monster that she thinks she is becoming.

I am on pins and needles for book 20.

message 15: by Courtney (new)

Courtney (alannarey) | 154 comments I really liked it but Haven's death was a real bummer.

message 16: by Carolyn F. (new)

Carolyn F. I know Courtney, I didn't thik he'd be such a bad guy.

message 17: by Heather (new)

Heather (herrushi) | 3 comments I really enjoyed this book, I read it too fast. I was happy to see the girls fight back and I love the tigers. Happy day/night for Asher, he needed some lovin!!

message 18: by Colette (new)

Colette I am on the fence with this book. I liked the tiger story line and where they are going with it. And I liked taht there were more women in the mix. The thing I can't get past is that pretty much during every sex scene someone has to stop and analyze it or tell a story or talk about it. It took them like 5 chapters to have sex with Asher because someone always had an issue or needed to talk. Sometimes you need to just shut up and have sex ya know? It felt like they just took forever to do things. I like the underlying story in it and thought that it was a good setup for the books to come with the tigers and marmee noir and all.

message 19: by Melanie (new)

Melanie (audiobookmel) Colette wrote: "The thing I can't get past is that pretty much during every sex scene someone has to stop and analyze it or tell a story or talk about it. "

You know, that is probably my one big complaint I have about the LKH books. I would sooo not be in the mood for sex after having some of the conversations that they have in both the Anita and Merry books.

message 20: by Michael (last edited Jun 09, 2010 09:10PM) (new)

Michael (ramaloke) | 25 comments I feel I have to stick up for us men folk here, if you think that women were treated as metaphysical sex objects in bullet, think about how the various (and many) men in the books have been treated.

message 21: by Carolyn F. (new)

Carolyn F. You're right Michael. Some of them don't seem to even want to be around Anita and then her pull through her animals makes it almost impossible for them to resist her.

message 22: by Mel (last edited Jun 10, 2010 11:44AM) (new)

Mel (melthomas) I thought the book was fan-frakkin-tastic and agree with a lot of things that you guys have said. I'm thrilled that Richard is no longer being an ass. Therapy seems to have helped him a lot. I hope his character continues on in that direction. Reading this book I found myself liking him again and I've been on the hate Richard bandwagon for a long time. LKH has touched on Asher being unhappy for several books now. It's about time something was done about it. I love Asher and hated that he was so unhappy. I understand that Jean-Claude loves Anita so much that he was afraid of pushing her away but that was a conversation that needed to be had a long time ago. Asher was whiny and a bit pissy but I can see where he's coming from. I'm glad that he's getting what he so desperately needed and that the new guy fits in nicely. I was pleasantly surprised that Micha and Nathanial were doing each other. I hope that we get to read all about that in the next book. I was kinda sad that Haven died, but it really needed to happen. He was a great big bag of dicks. I was more sad for Anita than for his death. Before this book I had kinda liked him. Nicky seems to fit in well with the group and I really like his character. Valentina creeps me the frak out. From the conversation they had about her in this book I wouldn't be surprised if Anita kills her ass in the near future. The whole situation with the tigers was interesting. It was cool to see Anita getting freaky with a girl but I personally would like to see actual sex with a girl. Don't think it'll ever happen but who knows? The sex in this book was beyond hot. I never would've pictured an Anita/Richard/Jean-Claude/Asher sex scene. Even though there was a little too much talking, it was well worth it. Can't wait for the next book.

message 23: by Caleb (last edited Jun 10, 2010 07:52PM) (new)

Caleb (ccp981) I was disappointed when I got the book in the mail and saw how short it was. Then I started reading it and was no longer disappointed because it was short, so much happened that a 500 plus page novel would have been overwhelming. As it is, I need to go back and read the book again just because there was too much to digest in one read through.
I really liked Bullet. I love the characters. Originally Anita was not by favorite in the Anita v. Merry, with each new Anita book, the scales are slowly tipping in Anita's favor. I still love Merry's world, but in a different way.

message 24: by Veronica (new)

Veronica (vadeluna) | 4 comments Absolutely, positively loved it!!!! Can't wait for the next book. Can't believe that Richard finally got with the program. Never thought that would happen. I read this book from cover to cover without putting it down. Does anyone have any idea when the next book is coming out?

message 25: by Courtney (new)

Courtney (alannarey) | 154 comments She has mentioned that she is writing it right now in her blogs. She was talking about how many pages she was writing.

message 26: by Melanie (new)

Melanie (audiobookmel) I do not think Anita #20 will be out until 2011, but I am not 100% sure. I want to think that is what I heard from LKH on twitter.

message 27: by Courtney (new)

Courtney (alannarey) | 154 comments I agree with you but its probably not because she wont get it done, probably though to space out the books because they nor would the readers want three books to come out then not have an Anita Blake book come out at all in 2011.

message 28: by Escape (new)

Escape | 12 comments I loved this book, but I have to admit I was jealous about another woman with JC and Richard. Crazy I know. Guess I don't share well. - lol ;)

message 29: by Jesse (new)

Jesse (Jessep) | 14 comments Escape wrote: "I loved this book, but I have to admit I was jealous about another woman with JC and Richard. Crazy I know. Guess I don't share well. - lol ;)"

You are the first person I've seen to feel the same way as me. I loved this book and am hoping that if this becomes a habit, I'll get used to it, but I just couldn't help being jealous seeing some other chick with my main men! Oh, I mean Anita's main men. I know Richard hasn't been a main man for a while, but those are possible the two strongest male characters. At least Nathaniel and Micah stuck with Anita in the scene. I know it is totally illogical and I've come pretty close to being okay with it. Anita said in Bullet that there was enough of them all to go around and that she couldn't keep up with everyone's needs with all the men in her life. I guess we'll just have to learn to get used to it if the new ladies become a permanent part of the series from here on out. I just hope they don't get any ideas to become more than what they are...Jean-Claude and Anita's animal to call and not anyone's girlfriend! Although Anita has a habit of turning her lovers into more than just that, I don't think I could take Jean-Claude having deeper feelings for anyone other than Anita or Asher.

message 30: by Escape (new)

Escape | 12 comments Jesse wrote: "Escape wrote: "I loved this book, but I have to admit I was jealous about another woman with JC and Richard. Crazy I know. Guess I don't share well. - lol ;)"

You are the first person I've seen ..."

I wonder if JC will sleep w/ female vampires too now. There are several that want him.

message 31: by Lauren (new)

Lauren | 129 comments i liked it, felt a little incomplete though.

message 32: by Jesse (new)

Jesse (Jessep) | 14 comments Escape wrote: "Jesse wrote: "Escape wrote: "I loved this book, but I have to admit I was jealous about another woman with JC and Richard. Crazy I know. Guess I don't share well. - lol ;)"

You are the first perso..."

I certainly hope not. I can come to grips with him sleeping with the Tiger because it was to gain power by he and Anita becoming Master of the Tigers, but I don't see the point in sleeping with the other vampires. Again, just my own jealousy. Anita has many men, so I do see that it is fair to allow Jean-Claude to sleep with more people, but all of Anita's men started off because of some reason, not just because...with the exception of Jean-Claude and Richard. I feel like Jean-Claude sleeping with the other vamps in their kiss would be just because he wanted to and I don't want him to want anyone else...I know, again, totally selfish for Jean-Claude.

message 33: by Escape (new)

Escape | 12 comments Jesse wrote: "Escape wrote: "Jesse wrote: "Escape wrote: "I loved this book, but I have to admit I was jealous about another woman with JC and Richard. Crazy I know. Guess I don't share well. - lol ;)"

You ar..."

I know that prior in the series it was a Master muscle problem that he wasn't sleeping w/ the other vamps. That being exclusive w/ Anita made it look like she was the one in control. I don't know why it's a problem. We've seen other Masters that have wives, but then again they are exclusive to each other where is Anita isn't exclusive. Oh damn, you're right I need to read a HEA book. =)

message 34: by Jesse (new)

Jesse (Jessep) | 14 comments Escape wrote: "Jesse wrote: "Escape wrote: "Jesse wrote: "Escape wrote: "I loved this book, but I have to admit I was jealous about another woman with JC and Richard. Crazy I know. Guess I don't share well. - lol..."

HA! I know. I had to read a couple of HEA books right after finishing the series! It's sooo good, but at the same time, it stresses me out. I'm beginning the Merry Gentry series today. I'm going to try to take my time with it since it looks like we've got a while before the next release because I haven't heard anything about release dates for Anita Blake or Merry Gentry. I just hope I don't get so stressed with Merry Gentry. I know she has multiple lovers like Anita, but I think hers is pretty much from the beginning, not a developing issue like Anita. My suggestion, read a few HEA and you'll be alright! Oh, what our favorite books put us through!

message 35: by Hilda (new)

Hilda Hernandez (ShadowintheTwilight) | 7 comments I really enjoyed this book. As always it is well written and very yummy. I'm glad that I did not notice any mistakes like the ones in Flirt. My only critique is that this book unlike Skin Trade was almost completely about Anita's love life and the new developments with her awesomeness. Don't get me wrong I love Anita's love life, I just have a few questions. What happened to Anita's life as an animator? What about her life as a U.S. Marshall? Where's Edward/Ted? From the beginning, Anita defended her roles as an animator and vampire executioner as being part of who she was, part of her identity--a package deal. She defended her jobs with JC and even Richard and all the other men in her life, so why is that the books seem to slowly move away from such an integral part of who Anita is? I get it, people evolve and new complications arise (or in Anita's life, things get upside down right side up), but this is only a part of who Anita is and what shaped her into the character we all know and love. I enjoy the chaos that is Anita's love life, but when I read Skin Trade I did a happy dance thinking that the books were headed back towards the life Anita had before all of this unraveled. I understand that things are happening, but it felt that this book was all about one big scene in a play. Anita's job was barely mentioned and then it was done. Like the curtains at the end of a show. I did enjoy the book, I think that I was disappointed that we only read about the adventures in half of Anita's life. I miss Edward. Edward used to be mentioned at least once in just about all the books. Now it's all about Anita's awesomeness, which is great, until you continuously read about how awesome she is. Then it gets a little repetitive and slightly boring. I get it, Anita is amazing in many ways, but now her character is so amazing that what's left to be amazed about in terms of those around her? I loved that Richard is back on this side of the line and working on his issues. I loved that Asher got some lovin. But I will say that I'm sad Cookie Monster had to die. I know he had to and if I thought maybe he could change I would have been sadder, but a part of me kept hoping. I'm glad he's gone, because he had some serious issue and he hurt Nathaniel. Valentina creeped me out so I'm wondering if she's next. I really liked the part where Anita is working out in a contest .... hahaha gatita negra. I hope JC doesn't continue to have more women in his life, because frankly it took him a long time to admit loving Anita and for Anita to accept it, that more women in JC's life would be a bummer. Overall I really liked it and I look forward to the next one, but I can only hope that Anita regains the other half of her identity soon. Because Anita isn't complete without her hunting down vampires, shooting to kill, and running with the boys who time and time underestimate the pretty package.

message 36: by Emily (new)

Emily (lady_catwings) | 3 comments I LOVED this book! Bringing more women into the mix was great, particularly HOW that aspect plays out was fantastic. This book really highlighted the problems patriarchy poses to women who want to function fully in our society. And the women in question not only refuse to tolerate it, they kick its overbearing self centered neolithic butt.

It was beautiful.

That line Anita gives Haven about her not needing rescuing because she's not the princess, she's her own prince sums it up. It is about sharing, and respecting other people's needs and building a "happy" outside the white picket fence society tries shoving people into.

Richard has been a jerk about this issue for most of the series, and I really really do understand his issues. I am glad he is ready to be reasonable and give up some of his illusions, because the thing about illusions is they hurt the person hanging onto them and everyone around them. Richard has demonstrated this at length.

I love the Antia Blake books because they fearlessly look at social issues and follow them out to their inevitable, and sometimes harsh, conclusions.

The last several books have left me somewhat ambivalent about the series, Bullet ties so much together. Much with the happy!!!

message 37: by mlady_rebecca (new)

mlady_rebecca | 278 comments Hilda wrote: "What about her life as a U.S. Marshall? "

Actually, we get two insights there. One, she gets called as a consultant now. Two, she's continuing to work on legislation to protect the vampires when they're not guilty - the law that you don't have to kill the whole kiss if the MOTC was the crazy one.

As for "Skin Trade" versus "Bullet", we're complete opposites. I felt "Skin Trade" was only half a book. "Bullet", on the other hand, was full of vamp and fury politics, drama with the Vampire council, and lots of settling we needed to see since the last few books were all out of town. Making Asher and Richard both play nice was a major change that's been needed for many books now.

Unfortunately, Edward and Olaf are in the next book, but at least it's an "in town" book.

message 38: by Hilda (new)

Hilda Hernandez (ShadowintheTwilight) | 7 comments mlady_rebecca wrote: "Hilda wrote: "What about her life as a U.S. Marshall? "

Actually, we get two insights there. One, she gets called as a consultant now. Two, she's continuing to work on legislation to protect the v..."

I agree on both counts. It is true that we get insight that Anita is somewhat of a consultant now and that she's still working on legislation. However, I was referring to Anita actually in the field.

Skin Trade - Bullet: Now that I think about it a little more. It feels to me that "Skin Trade" is more about Anita in her work field and "Bullet" is the remaining half regarding her love life and the politics involved with all that.

message 39: by Lorena (new)

Lorena | 22 comments I loved bullet i thought it was awsome and the charecters have developed a lot i especialy love the were tigers does anybody eles maybe see a spot for victor in anitas future

message 40: by April (new)

April | 2 comments Wow, Hilda I could not agree with more! I liked some of the character development in Bullet, but I agree that I would really like to see more of a balance between Anita's job life (investigating and hunting down baddies & also zombie raising) and her love life. I think some of the best books are where there is a good balance of both sides of her. There used to be some kind of criminal investigation plot line that drove the book from beginning middle to end along with subplots of character development in her love life. That felt the most satisfying to me to see the contrast and precarious balance between these different sides of her life. Hilda you really hit the nail on the head for me when you said, "it felt that this book was all about one big scene in a play." That's what it felt like to me to. I felt like Bullet was half a book. There were so many conflicts introduced, and yes, there was some great character development on many fronts, but then it felt like the majority of the conflicts introduced were not resolved and the book or "scene" just ended. I didn't really like this aspect at all. I'm hoping that Hit List will get back to a bit more investigative work, solve that creepy and pesky little Valentina problem, maybe solve an Olaf problem, and also continue on with where we left off in the politics and in her more accepting love life.

message 41: by Michele (new)

Michele bookloverforever (lovebooks14) | 52 comments I agree, but I am glad marmee noir is back. It seems Anita's job is on hold because of her "vampire need to feed on emotion" as per "Skin Trade". She'll have to stick closer to home ...her 1st priority is her "family". Could she do her job without all the people in her life?

message 42: by Suz (new)

Suz I liked Bullet a lot but had a somewhat different reaction to some of it than some of you did.

First let me say that I like when Laurell tosses up the focus of the books. I never know until they come out whether I'm going to get a relationship driven book or a professional life mystery. Not knowing until I read the thing is kind of fun, a little like opening a present. Since I enjoy both types and would miss either if she abandoned them, I am content for her muse to drive her through combinations of both or back and forth.

Now for Bullet - I'm a bit miffed at Archer, frankly. I am not at all happy with the way he finally decided to put his foot down. I don't deny that he had a right to, but the way he did it he was a petulant child that waited until the critical moment to threaten to take his ball and go home. That means, in my mind, that Archer is an unwitting threat to the security of the kiss. Yes, he deserved his happiness and yes, Anita put him on the back burner too often. But he waited until it was critical they have the hyenas for security and then threatened to abandon them. I'm glad he got his little goodies and he's a happy boy again, but if I were driving that boat I'd be looking for a very strong Alpha female hyena to bring in under JC & Anita's protection. That would give Narcissus something to think about and keep him too busy to cause trouble.

Richard? I'll believe Richard is growing up when I've seen it consistently for a while, until then it's nice but not worth taking to the bank.

I do get the sense that Bullet was a turning point in the long story arc. The American Council and its creation should keep us in plenty of intrigue for some time. I'm looking forward to it!

I liked that women were added to the mix and I am hopeful that, going forward, Laurell will give them a more active part.

I liked Bullet a lot all the way around, even the parts I hated (the Archer petulance), I loved to hate.