Fantasy Book Club Series discussion

Group Info > Introductions, say hello to everyone

Comments Showing 1-50 of 872 (872 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 17 18

message 1: by Kathy (new)

Kathy | 9 comments I know that most of us have been in the FBC before joining this group, but the FBC is pretty big. I'm thinking that we need a place to say hello to everyone and get introduced, especially if you are someone that tends more to lurking or if you aren't a regular participant in book discussions.

So since I'm starting this thread, I will go first:

My name is Kathy, I live near Madison, WI, and I adore fantasy fiction. I might pick up sci fi once in a while, but fantasy is more my cup of tea. In the world as we know it, I'm a nurse practitioner, but I have always found time to read for fun. I'm currently rereading the Wheel of Time series and plan to pick up Janny Wurts and get involved in the series discussion.

Other authors that I like include: Brandon Sanderson, Jim Butcher, Michael J Sullivan, Diana Gabaldon, and anyone that just writes fantasy really well.

message 2: by Kathy (new)

Kathy | 9 comments Oh, and thanks to Chris H. for inviting me to this group to begin with. Thanks, B&B groupmaster!

message 3: by Jeff (new)

Jeff Watson | 46 comments Hi all, I am and have been for some 40+ years a read of SF & F with a smallish collection of about 1500 books. Favorite authors included but are not limited to Andre Norton, Jennifer Roberson, C. J. Cherryh, R. M. Meluch, Julie Czerneda, Roger Zelazny, and of course Janny Wurts.

By profession I am a software engineer and, on the side, I dabble in website development for SF/F artists.

message 4: by Amelia (new)

Amelia (Narknon) | 523 comments Hi everyone! This is exciting to be one of the first to introduct themself. I'm Amelia. I'm also a big fantasy fan and reader in gerneral. I'm from Utah. I'm glad to join this group especially since we're going to read Janny's series. I'm curently reading Curse of the Mistwraith. It's great to find another group that's going to talk about the books I'm reading right now. I don't have nearly as much time as I'd like to devote to reading.
Some authors I like are Carol Berg, Brandon Sanderson, Robin McKinley and many more. It's great to be here!

message 5: by Chris (new)

Chris  (haughtc) | 109 comments Hi y'all. Most of you know me from the FBC as that guy that sets up the polls every month.

Glad to see you here, Kathy. I actually thought of you when I was sending out invites because of that WoT re-read you're doing. JJ had mentioned possibly discussing the series here, and I thought I had seen that you were curious about Janny's series.

Speaking of that, I'm about 100 pages from the end of The Ships of Merior and I'm very much enjoying it, as expected. I'm looking forward to continuing this series as our debut entry here in this group.

message 6: by Jon (new)

Jon (jonmoss) | 706 comments Hello and I'm a crossover from FBC as well. I'm a mid-40s empty-nester from the Midwest (can you say Kansas?) who's been reading fantasy for at least three decades, probably longer.

I love reading series, the longer, the better, provided the sprawl is kept in check, the characters gain depth and the story doesn't stall. Surely, that's not too much ask? :)

I'm looking forward to the discussions surrounding the Wars of Light and Shadow series by Janny Wurts. I've read the first two arcs and will embark on the third as soon as I catch up on my other book club reads. I'm very impressed and awed by the series so far and look forward to more layers, depth, complexity and revelation as I proceed on the journey.

message 7: by Kathy (new)

Kathy | 9 comments Chris wrote: "Glad to see you here, Kathy. I actually thought of you when I was sending out invites because of that WoT re-read you're doing. JJ had mentioned possibly discussing the series here, and I thought I had seen that you were curious about Janny's series."

Awww, you remembered! I tell you, Crown of Swords is just moving ever so slowly at the moment. I need some down time to catch up as well as time so I can start Curse.

message 8: by Kathy (new)

Kathy | 9 comments And hello to all of you FBC converts. Jon, nice to see you. Did you change your pic? I thought I remembered a different one for you...

message 9: by Sandra (new)

Sandra  (Sleo) | 1059 comments Hello everyone. JJ invited me to be a mod in this group, primarily because of my undisguised enthusiasm for WOLS series. I've been a member of Goodreads since December last year and have really discovered fantasy through this website and the Fantasy Book Club. I'm a semi-retired psychotherapist who loves to read. I'm also a fan of Carol Berg, Robin Hobb, and George RR Martin, besides Janny. I absolutely love the Curse of the Mistwraith series and have been reading the books back to back for the last few weeks. I'm just finishing Stormed Fortress, which is both breaking my heart and sending it soaring ... The mysteries and marvels in these books are overwhelming, rich, and glorious. I look forward to helping JJ with the club and to many good discussions.

message 10: by Jim (new)

Jim (JimMacLachlan) Hi!

message 11: by Matt (new)

Matt | 3 comments Hi all. Looking forward to getting into this first series. Been wanting to for awhile and this should give me enough of a friendly nudge =)

message 12: by Robin (new)

Robin (RobinSullivan) | 10 comments Hello all,
My name is Robin and I've been a FBC member for quite some time. I'm not 100% sure who came up with this idea but it is GREAT! - Being able to follow a series with others will so add to the enjoyment. I'm going to start with the first book today

message 13: by Sandra (new)

Sandra  (Sleo) | 1059 comments Whooppee! So glad you came over.

message 14: by Michael (new)

Michael (MichaelJSullivan) | 302 comments Greetings,
Thanks Jeanne for inviting me over - this is a great idea and I'm happy to be part of it.

message 15: by Charles (new)

Charles (charliewhip) | 19 comments Michael wrote: "Greetings,
Thanks Jeanne for inviting me over - this is a great idea and I'm happy to be part of it."

To Kathy, Jeff, Amelia, Nickie (in Holland), Matt, Michael, and my Familiar Friends Jon, Chris, Sandra, and Robin.

Greetings, fellow Paravians! Like Sandra, I was asked to help mod the FBC Series Group, mostly because of the fact that I am a huge fan of Janny's books and have read the whole series (thus far) twice, some 3 times, Mistwraith 4 times. I don't pretend to be an expert on the Wars of Light and Shadow, but I might be able to provide some helpful comments to anyone who gets confused or just curious, WITHOUT SPOILING, because I've already done that and learned better.

New Janny readers, you are in for a massive treat. I've been a fantasy fan since I discovered Lord of the Rings in the early 60s. Since then, I've enjoyed many of the great masters, Tolkien, Jordan, Donaldson, for example. But I must state that Wars of Light and Shadow is not only the deepest, but the richest fantasy-reading experience I have had yet. Nowhere else have I discovered characters who change and evolve constantly, contributing largely to the shape of the story; nor have I found the layers of fine, fine detail that just keep on unfolding throughout the reading experience. Add a beautiful, high-art writing style. And don't expect easy answers or cheap-shot resolutions, ever, in this series. The themes that Janny explores are really big ones, that make us think and feel deeply.

For me, this is my most satisfying fantasy world yet. So, Welcome to Paravia. Whatever you do or don't do, like or don't like, I urge you not to quit the series until you get to Stormed Fortress, Ath forfend!!

message 16: by Leslie Ann (new)

Leslie Ann (LeslieAnn) | 27 comments Hello Everyone,
My name is Leslie Ann and I am a lapsed member of the FBC, lapsed due to severe time constraints, but when I got this invite to join in on a discussion group focusing on my Goddess of Purple Prose and Style, Janny Wurts, I could not refuse! So, I'm back on a limited basis only for this group.

Janny has been such an inspiration to me with my own writing. She has done me the incredible honor of reading my books and allowing me to use her quotes on their covers. Words don't convey the gratitude I feel for this. Of all the many, many writers I have followed and enjoyed over the years, she is my Gold Standard, the one writer whose works I actually STUDY. Reading COTM was like attending a master class in the kind of lush, lyrical style I so love and attempt to emulate. If I can be half the craftswoman Janny is, I will feel like I've accomplished all I've set out to do as a writer.

I am so looking forward to this!

Leslie Ann

message 17: by Sandra (new)

Sandra  (Sleo) | 1059 comments Welcome, Leslie Ann. I love Janny as a reader and am glad you are here.

message 18: by Charles (new)

Charles (charliewhip) | 19 comments Leslie wrote: "Hello Everyone,
My name is Leslie Ann and I am a lapsed member of the FBC, lapsed due to severe time constraints, but when I got this invite to join in on a discussion group focusing on my Goddess ..."

Dear Leslie Ann,
It's very gratifying to hear someone besides myself really extol Janny's style, which is certainly lush, rich, specific, highly detailed and mysterious all at the same time. Yes, another writer would notice, if she were becoming a really good one.

message 19: by Kathy (new)

Kathy | 9 comments Good luck with your books, Leslie Ann. Glad you came back from hiatus to join the fun!

message 20: by Caity (new)

Caity (adivineeternity) | 9 comments Hi! My name is Caity and I'm a member of FBC, although not terribly involved because I just graduated from college with my BA in Film and Digital Media. I've been doing some casual reading lately with all the free time I've had during my job hunt, and I definitely want to read all of Janny Wurts' books, although the current likelihood of being able to start with everybody is slim to none, since I don't own any of the books of her series and don't exactly have the means with which to get them. Here's to hoping for a little luck.

Also, a little trivia about me: I recently applied to join AmeriCorps NCCC for next winter. I'll need more than a little luck with this.

message 21: by Sandra (new)

Sandra  (Sleo) | 1059 comments Have you registered for the free book, Caity?

message 22: by Mawgojzeta (new)

Mawgojzeta Hello!

message 23: by Charles (new)

Charles (charliewhip) | 19 comments Caity wrote: "Hi! My name is Caity and I'm a member of FBC, although not terribly involved because I just graduated from college with my BA in Film and Digital Media. I've been doing some casual reading lately w..."

Hi, Caity, and Welcome to Paravia, Janny's World.
Just a suggestion, but I've seen used, mass market paperbacks of Curse of the Mistwraith and Ships of Merior (first 2 Wars of Light and Shadow books) at Amazon.com for a dollar or two each. If you want to chime in with us om that discussion, this might be an option. Anyway, welcome to the group. We are glad to have you along.

message 24: by Charles (new)

Charles (charliewhip) | 19 comments Welcome, Michael,

I see you've been reading some pretty complex stuff.

I hope you will be able to get involved with this group's present project, the series, Wars of Light sand Shadow by Janny Wurts. We are doing an in-depth discussion of the entire series, chapter by chapter.

message 25: by Laurel (new)

Laurel Hello everyone,

I am a bit behind the rest of you, as I had some trouble getting my hands on all the copies of Janny's books. However, I have the first five now and am trying desperately to catch up with you all! (It took three weeks for Curst of the Mistwraith to arrive!!)

Its a great group of people to be reading a wonderful series with. Thanks!

message 26: by Sandra (new)

Sandra  (Sleo) | 1059 comments Laurel wrote: "Hello everyone,

I am a bit behind the rest of you, as I had some trouble getting my hands on all the copies of Janny's books. However, I have the first five now and am trying desperately to catch..."

Glad you're here, Laurel. I think the nice thing about a group like this is that we can go at our own pace. So not to worry.

message 27: by Kirk (new)

Kirk Benson Hello everyone, just recently joined Goodreads and have to say its fantastic. My interests in books span the entire range but I really love the fantasy realm! I look forward to sharing!
Cheers!

message 28: by Charles (new)

Charles (charliewhip) | 19 comments Welcome, Kirk, and to Laurel, I ditto Sandra. You are doing great on the series. I had already read it 3 times before this, but you are keeping up very well.

message 29: by Kara (new)

Kara (sterlink) | 60 comments Hey all! =)

New to goodreads this month and I love it! What used to be a rather hopeless "What do I read next?" has now blossomed into, "I have way too many to-read books!" AND... I even have someone to chat with them about. *tah-dah*

About me? I love Fantasy...everything from young adult to dark. I read some sci-fi too, but like magic in my novels. It is my escape from the "real world" right?

I listen to audiobooks too, as lately I haven't had the visual time and the light required to read... lol, don't ask.

Live in Alaska, and love it. Like to take long walks and try to get lost. Have two cats and a fiance. Am a physical/oceanographic/atmospheric scientist by profession.

Hope to join some readings/discussions soon!

message 30: by [deleted user] (new)

Welcome to the group Kara ! Living in Alaska, maybe thats the reason for the problem with the light ? That sure would be a great place to read in front of a fireplace.

message 31: by Sandra (new)

Sandra  (Sleo) | 1059 comments Welcome Kirk and Kara! I've been on a little vacation so am a little behind in my posting. Glad you made it here and hope you'll join us in reading The Wars of Light and Shadow series!

message 32: by Siv (last edited Aug 08, 2010 12:03PM) (new)

Siv (Minnea) Hello everyone!

I've quite a new member on Goodreads, and have been lurking in these forums for some weeks now... because you happens to read the serie I'm currently reading ;)

I read the three (or four) first books two-three years ago, for some reason got stuck some chapters into Peril's Gate and sort of gave up... So when I decided to start it up again I had to start from the beginning... and though I remembered the overall things there was a LOT more to notice the second time around (and I'll guess it'll be even more next time...)

I'm currently about halfway through Traitor's knot.

Oh, and I'm from Sweden, so English is obvioulsy not my first language. Even so, I'm used to reading fantasy in English (got tired of waiting for translations... and these books I've not found in Swedish at all). These books are slow going, lots of more difficult words than I'm used to, but well worth it.

message 33: by Sandra (new)

Sandra  (Sleo) | 1059 comments Siv wrote: "Hello everyone!

I've quite a new member on Goodreads, and have been lurking in these forums for some weeks now... because you happens to read the serie I'm currently reading ;)

I read the three (..."

Oh, Hi! Glad you joined and started posting. I'm on a reread right now and am in the middle of Grand Conspiracy.

message 34: by Amelia (new)

Amelia (Narknon) | 523 comments Welcome Siv and all the new members! I'm right behind you with the reading. I'm just starting Peril's Gate. For me, though, I've never read it before. I've really enjoyed it so far.

message 35: by Kimberly (new)

Kimberly (kimberlyanne) | 4 comments Hello all!
I am in the South Eastern United States and read lots of fantasy and sci/fi. I have a grandson that is VERY into fantasy fiction and who challenges me to read more and more. I am glad to be here and reading with you all!
Kimberly

message 36: by Sandra (new)

Sandra  (Sleo) | 1059 comments Welcome to the group, Kimberly. I lived in the SE US for twenty years and still miss it. Hope you'll join our discussions.

See that you entered the drawing, so good luck!

message 37: by Janny (new)

Janny (JannyWurts) | 406 comments Kimberly wrote: "Hello all!
I am in the South Eastern United States and read lots of fantasy and sci/fi. I have a grandson that is VERY into fantasy fiction and who challenges me to read more and more. I am glad ..."

Kimberly - where in the Southeast?

I am located in FL - and if you are near to Atlanta - did you know that DragonCon takes place there over laborday weekend - HUGE gathering of every sort of fantasy/SF aficionado...welcome here.

message 38: by Amelia (new)

Amelia (Narknon) | 523 comments I was going to tell you Janny, that I'm heading to Florida in a few weeks. Not for DragonCon, although that would be lots of fun. I'm going with my family to Disney World.

message 39: by Stacia (new)

Stacia (stacias) | 5 comments Hi all,

I was very excited when I saw that this group was reading WoLS and had the input of Ms. Wurts herself! I love the series, plan to refresh my memory through the discussion here (and if I can find the time, with a reread), and jump in with Stormed Fortress in January. I'm very excited to be able to hear other opinions on the books I'm reading.

Stacia

message 40: by Janny (new)

Janny (JannyWurts) | 406 comments Hello, Stacia, welcome here, great to have you aboard.

message 41: by Stuart (new)

Stuart (Asfus) | 16 comments Hi Stacia

message 42: by Sandra (new)

Sandra  (Sleo) | 1059 comments Hi, Stacis! Welcome aboard.

message 43: by William (last edited Oct 18, 2010 07:49PM) (new)

William Bentrim (wbentrim) | 3 comments Live long and prosper certainly ages me, so Hi.
I've been a scifi/fantasy reader since around 1953, the first scifi book I can recall is Mr. Bass's Planetoid by Eleanor Cameron. I do write a blog with recommendations on SciFi and Fantasy called Azure Dwarf’s Horde of SciFi & Fantasy. I am retired after 25 years of nursing computers from infancy to relative maturity. I am writing kids books and my only fantasy character so far is a 240 pound telepathic Tibetan Mastiff/Great Dane named Tiny. I believe the scifi/fantasy genre represents the most positive and hopefull aspects of our culture and is also darn good entertainment. Now I am going to hunt for the correctg spot to post a Steampunk giveaway.

message 44: by Kerry (new)

Kerry (rocalisa) | 36 comments I've been lurking on the group for a couple of months now, but don't think I ever said a proper hello.

Sandra invited me over from Beyond Reality, where we are also reading Wars of Light and Shadow. This is my first read of the series after a failed attempt to read Mistwraith back around when it first came out. I don't think I was ready for it then, but I'm loving the series now.

However, I'm still in Warhost of Vastmark, so I'm not reading a lot of the posts yet, since I don't want to spoil myself. As I get further through the series I hope I'll be able to join in more.

message 45: by Sandra (new)

Sandra  (Sleo) | 1059 comments Welcome, William. And so glad to see you here, Kerry! Just read threads as you're ready for them. I think spoilers are clearly marked!

message 46: by Janny (new)

Janny (JannyWurts) | 406 comments Kerry wrote: "I've been lurking on the group for a couple of months now, but don't think I ever said a proper hello.

Sandra invited me over from Beyond Reality, where we are also reading Wars of Light and Sha..."

Hi Kerry - welcome here! Your picture of your copies would doubtless amaze a few people, here. It's great to have you aboard - and definitely, click the links that loop back to the original discussions for The Curse of the Mistwraith and The Ships of Merior, that are archived in The Fantasy Book Club (the direct links are in the books' respective folders) - those titles generated some very deep discussion, and many posts - you'll quickly see the two groups (in depth, and here, by volume) are very different.

Feel free to add any comments, none of the discussions are closed.

message 47: by Janny (new)

Janny (JannyWurts) | 406 comments William wrote: "Live long and prosper certainly ages me, so Hi.
I've been a scifi/fantasy reader since around 1953, the first scifi book I can recall is Mr. Bass's Planetoid by Eleanor Cameron. I do write a blog..."

Hi William, that's a delightful and interesting introduction, and certainly many here (me included) share your view of the hopefulness of fantasy literature. This is a straight discussion group, and there is no place provided for authors to post their giveaways. You will find, if you check out The Fantasy Book Club, there is a folder specifically for those threads. This is an affiliated group, of that one, hopefully the steer in that direction will save you time.

message 48: by William (last edited Oct 19, 2010 01:07PM) (new)

William Bentrim (wbentrim) | 3 comments Janny,
Thanks for the welcome, I did find the right spot, I think. While not adverse to a certain amount of rabble rousing, I do try and avoid posting the wrong stuff in the wrong places. Thanks again for the welcome.
Bill

message 49: by Rob (new)

Rob (tor60) Hi everyone. I'm from Toronto and recently discovered the Goodreads web site and tweaked to FBC. I am looking forward to meeting new people, sharing comments, thoughts,and recommendations, as well as discovering some new authors that have escaped my notice till now. Hope to hear from other book lovers

message 50: by Stuart (new)

Stuart (Asfus) | 16 comments Welcome Robyn

« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 17 18