Modern Mommies discussion

About Books > Kid's Favorite Books

Comments Showing 1-50 of 59 (59 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Santina (last edited Jun 11, 2008 03:28PM) (new)

Santina (littlesaintina) | 292 comments Mod
What books have you read over and over and over?

message 2: by Santina (new)

My little girl has made me read the Non-Stop Knotty Knitter at least 1000 times I'm sure. It's one of her all time favorites. I can read it without even looking at the pages.

message 3: by Santina (new)

Whao...our version of the Non-Stop Knotty Knitter is old, and a bit ratty, it came to us used, so I thought maybe I'll look online and see if I can order a new one. Amazon only has 1 listed and it's used, the guy is selling it for 350 USD...I can't believe it. I guess our ratty version will have to make do.

message 4: by Mona (new)

Mona | 72 comments Anything by Dr. Seuss...
Our son loves animal books and we are reading Magic Tree House books to the kids at night. They are great stories.

message 5: by Sherry (new)

Sherry Robert Muensch(drat,am I spelling that right?)
Especially I'll Love You Forever.
Interestingly enough my oldest daughter has started collecting all the books I read to her as a child and that she loved.The Beatrix Potter books and the Serendipity books are the current collectibles but it has been so fun to go down memory lane with her.
Give a Mouse A Cookie was another favourite and this horrible book called Henny Penny and the (mercifully I can't remember the rest of the title)I grew to detest that book and when she was 2 I'd try to skip pages but she always knew and called me on it!

message 6: by Suzanne (new)

Suzanne | 9 comments Robert Munsch (I googled it, I always forget the "s"!)is always a big hit. Can't do "Love you Forever" though. I am a big suck, and can't get past the lump in my throat to finish the story!! Another of his that's nice, but again a tear jerker is "Lighthouse". Beautiful artwork as well. We(I) try to stick to the funnies, Mud Puddle, "Good Families Don't" is another good one, what kid doesn't like the opportunity to hear the word "fart" lol!!!

message 7: by Suzanne (new)

Suzanne | 9 comments Ohhh -- Chicka-chika-boom-boom, has been another hit. And "Animal Hide and Seek", from Usborne Books was our youngest's favourite.
Also we have been homeschooling for the last 2 years, and thankfully as a result, discovered Thornton Burgess - Burgess Animal Book for Children, and The Burgess Bird Book (anyone remember the cartoon "The Green Forest"??)as well as Holling C.Holling's books particularly Paddle-to-the Sea which has been a big hit.

message 8: by Santina (new)

We love Robert Munsch...lol my husband thinks the word fart is gross, so our daughter has always called it fluff...hahahaha.

I'm not familiar with Thornton Burgess, I'll have to make it a point to look him up.

message 9: by Sherry (new)

Sherry I've not heard of Lighthouse.I'll have to check it out.I really love chidren's books,especially the art work in them.Some of my own personal favourites are How Smudge Came(I recently got this book and while reading it was bawling my eyes out.My son,who is 17 gave me the oddest look,he couldn't believe I was crying!)and The Arrival a fatastic book with the story told in drawings made to look like old photos.Awesome book!

message 10: by Shea (new)

Shea | 346 comments Ditto on the Dr. Seuss. My sons and I also read all the Magic Tree house books and we all enjoyed them. We are now reading the Chronicles of Narnia and are anxiously awaiting the next PaleoJoe Dinosaur Detective Club mystery to come out. When they were little some of the favorites were "Sheep in a Jeep" and "Ten Hungry Monsters (I still have this one memorized)." My 5-year-old also loves anything to do with trucks, diggers, construction, airplanes, trains...you get the idea. So he is a fan of the "If I could drive a..." series by Tonka and we read Chugga Chugga Whoo Whoo a lot.

message 11: by Santina (new)

This is great, I can't wait to take my daughter shopping for books this weekend. She's going to love having her own list. I keep one in my purse for the books I want, I'm going to make her one with these books for us to check out.

message 12: by Santina (new)

I just found out that at www.robertmunsch.com you can download his stories read by him.

message 13: by Santina (new)

Junie B Jones...My daughter loves her too. They're so funny, she only likes it when I read them to her though, because Junie says too many words wrong and when you're just learning to read, it's hard enough to read the word when they're spelled correctly.

message 14: by Vanessa (new)

Vanessa | 43 comments My children have both loved the Henry and Mudge series and the Mr. Putter and Tabby series (both by Cynthia Rylant) - we have checked all volumes out a zillion times from the library. My almost 5-year-old daughter also loves all of the Clifford books by Norman Bridwell, and all ofthe adventures of Curious George. My 7-yr-old son loved (but has now grown out of) all of the Magic School Bus adventures, and is currently deeply into a fairly steady diet of fact (science, engineering, a bit of history) peppered with TinTin and Garfield.

message 15: by Sherry (new)

Sherry Vanessa,reading your post is like a trip down memory lane for me.My son adored the Clifford books(partly because he loved the color red)and the Magis School Bus series.My younger daughter adored Curious George.

message 16: by Carrie (new)

Carrie (cahanbury) The smallest kids around here love Go Dog Go. In fact, when we see a traffic jam, it's because they are all going to a dog party!

The bigger kids loved My Father's Dragon, and also like the Little House books.

message 17: by Santina (new)

oooo...I haven't thought about the little house books. That would be a great series for my daughter.

message 18: by Stacie (new)

Stacie I have tried the little house books with my daughter, but they just don't draw her in. She really liked the illustrated Alice in Wonderland and Through the Looking Glass books, as well as an illustrated Gullivar's Travels.

As for shorter books...we are HUGE Magic School Bus fans and Dr. Suess. I think our favorite is Oh the Places You'll Go. It was actually given to me when I moved to CA, so it has a lot of meaning to me, but also a great moral for her. I also really like The Lorax...and we can't forget about good old Horton!

message 19: by Santina (new)

That's a great book Stacie, I used to read Baby oh Baby the Place You'll Go, to my daughter when I was pregnant. I've also given that book to every friend of mine that has gotten pregnant.

message 20: by Shea (new)

Shea | 346 comments We have finished the Narnia series and have started on Charlotte's Web. My 5 year old is much more interested in it than he was in the Narnia books. I read Charlotte's Web as a 2nd or 3rd grader and I find I remember very little about it. I might as well be reading it for the first time. We also like to sprinkle in a little Shel Silverstein. We had to read "Wild Strawberries" last night after we made wild strawberry Jell-O

message 21: by Suzanne (new)

Suzanne | 35 comments We are big Narnia and Harry Potter fans. When the boys were younger we read a lot of Froggy, Ferdinand and Oscar the Otter. I can read those last two without looking at any of the pages and thinking about something totally unrelated! LOL!

message 22: by Shea (new)

Shea | 346 comments I would love to read Harry Potter to my boys. I have read the whole series myself. So far they are not interested. Maybe soon...

message 23: by Vanessa (new)

Vanessa | 43 comments I really, really want my kids to like certain books and have been disappointed that they don't (yet - here's hoping). I tried to read my son the Chronicles of Narnia - he quite liked The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe, but got very bored in Prince Caspian so we stopped. He really liked Harry Potter 1 and 2 and then we had to stop at 3 because it got too scary for him. I tried to read him Mrs. Frisby and the Rats of Nimh but he though it was boring after two chapters. Similarly, I tried to read my daughter The Golden Bird and The 100 Dresses, but I was probably expecting too much of her - she still really wants and needs lots of illustrations and those two books have very few. Anyway, they love to read, but sometimes I just have to remind myself that "my children are not me and they have their own tastes".

Actually, speaking of books they have enjoyed recently - my son has devoured all of the Spiderwick Chronicles and my daughter is loving all of the Miss Bindergarten/Kindergarten books.

message 24: by Santina (new)

Isn't it so hard to not try to sway your children to your own taste...lol. The first time I said to my daughter, you don't have to like it because I do, it was like a wave of relief came over her. She said I don't? I said of course not, and well I HAVE A BIG MOUTH. I have really created an independant child, and though I'm glad there are days when I seriously regret it...lol.

message 25: by Shea (new)

Shea | 346 comments My 8 year old son is reading the Spiderwick Chronicles right now. He is also reading the Dragon Slayer's Academy books. Have you tried any Roald Dahl? My kids loved all of his that we read. They also enjoyed the Beverly Cleary books, especially ones that featured Ribsy.

message 26: by Mandy Sue (new)

Mandy Sue (mettakaruna) My boys Top 10...

1. Chicka Chicka Boom Boom
2. Put Me In The Zoo
3. SkippyJohn Jones
4. The Very Hungry Caterpillar
5. Green Eggs and Ham
6. Goodnight Moon
7. Wondering William and the Sandman
8. I Love You, Stinkyface
9. Where the Wild Things Are
10. I Love You, Little One

message 27: by Stacie (new)

Stacie Mandy,
We LOVE Put me in the Zoo, as well as the follow-up about being on TV. The name of the book escapes me right now.

message 28: by Mandy Sue (new)

Mandy Sue (mettakaruna) I don't know the follow up book. I will have to look into that. My boys even have the Spot stuffed animal. They love it!!

message 29: by Santina (new)

Oh I love Chicka Chicka...If you say Chicka Chicka Boom Boom to any child and they don't follow with will there be enough room, they have missed out on something...lol.

message 30: by Stacie (new)

Stacie Mandy,
I asked my daughter... it is called "New Tricks I Can Do." He does new tricks to try to convince the circus to keep him.

message 31: by Shea (new)

Shea | 346 comments Oh! We love "I Love You, Stinkyface" too. I think it has such a wonderful message about unconditional love.

message 32: by Mandy Sue (new)

Mandy Sue (mettakaruna) Santina ~ I know...my kids know most of it by heart!

Stacie ~ Thank you so much. I added it to my list of books to buy!!

Shea ~ It's my oldest's favorite book. It really does have a wonderful message.

message 33: by Marjorie (new)

Marjorie Three words - Charlie and Lola. Hands down, my daughter's favorites. She also loves her Alice in Wonderland pop-up book by Robert Sabuda...boy when I think about it - her taste varies wildly and she goes through fazes...she is only 3 after all.

message 34: by Santina (new)

Wouldn't it be nice to be allowed to think like a 3 year old? I like it, ah acutally no I don't. And no one questions it, you have the right to change your mind whenever you like without having to justify it. Everything is what it is.

Funny on my calendar today the quote says, "Unlike grownups, children have little need to deceive themselves." So true, how lucky they are. If only we could teach or maybe the right word is allow them to stay that way.

message 35: by Santina (new)

My kid just found Mercer Meyer...I can't believe I've never bought them before. We always read those and kids, but there are just to many book these days I guess they were something I never picked up. She found one at the library and now she loves them. I forgot how funny they were.

message 36: by Molly (new)

Molly | 33 comments Favorite kid Books.... Oh i love this subject.
Ok.. So please check out Audrey wood.
Author of ....
King Bidgood is in the bathtub and wont get out.
Jubals Wish (xoxoxoxoxoxoox loveit!)
The napping house.

I think my kids are older then most of you ladies, 10&14. So were moving on but we still revisit our favorites with the neighbor baby.
"No elephants" (Jerry Smath) has been read a gazillion times in our house.

Totally different subject, how do i make the posts come up in most recently posted order?

message 37: by Molly (new)

Molly | 33 comments I figured out how to change date order thanks:)

message 38: by Molly (new)

Molly | 33 comments Love u stinky face of COURSE!

message 39: by Marjorie (new)

Marjorie We love Audrey Wood too. Her illustrations are beautiful! We love the Napping House and King Bidgood - my daughter has them memorized! I also have Heckedy Peg, but she is a bit young for that one yet.

message 40: by Marjorie (new)

Marjorie We are also huge fans of Mo Willems over here; Leonardo the Terrible Monster, Knuffle Bunny, Don't let the Pigeon Drive the Bus, great for dramatic reading!

message 41: by Kathleen (new)

Kathleen (momof4boys) | 30 comments The Gruffalo,
Guess How Much I Love You
Doctor Seus (ad infinitum)
Goodnight Moon
Lion King
Where the Wild Things Are
Ricky Ricotta and his Mighty Robot comic books
Berenstain Bears Books
The Big Honey Hunt

I love reading to the boys. They used to love it when we did voices. Now they're like "Mom, stop it! You're weird". Even my 16 yo climbs into the bed when he happens to come in at story time.

message 42: by Suzanne (new)

Suzanne | 35 comments Kathleen it is like that at my house too. If I am reading to one of the boys the other three always seem to find us and snuggle in to listen too. I love it when I am reading to the youngest and one of the older ones comes in and starts reciting the story from memory. We love Oscar Otter, Ferdinand,Knuffle Bunny, Harry Potter, the Chronicals of Narnia and Froggy, just to name a few.

message 43: by Pamela (new)

Pamela My girls LOVE Madeline. We have the big book Mad About Madeline. They also love Curious George. We have confiscated the "Barbapapa" series that were mine as a child...and it is really refreshing to see their eyes light up like mine did to this series. Babar the Elephant books are another good swipe from the grandparent's that really intrigue the girls......especially the illustrations.

The books we wear out and read EVERY DAY...

#1 The Monster at the End of This Book:
starring loveable, furry 'ole Grover

#2 One Fish Two Fish, Red Fish Blue Fish
---gotta love the Seuss

#3 I Know an Old Lady Who Swallowed A Fly
---of course, we sing this

#4 The Kissing Hand
---LOVE this book
...and last but not least for the finale...

#5 Walter the Farting Dog
---(ahem) only we say "tooting" instead of
"farting" (chuckle!)

message 44: by Vanessa (new)

Vanessa | 43 comments Pamela - my daughter is called Genevieve and has a little friend called Madeleine - they were both delighted that in Madeleine's Rescue, the hero is a dog called Genevieve (my daughter especially, since she is nuts about dogs).

One book that both my kiddos love (this is the third time we've checked it out of the library) is The One-Eyed Giant and Other Monsters From Greek Myths by Anne Rockwell. Great illustrations, great, brief descriptions and stories.

message 45: by Lisa (new)

Lisa | 11 comments Most books by Eric Carle, and old mother goose fairy tales.

message 46: by Pamela (new)

Pamela Vanessa---how wonderful to have a friend like that! Your daughter will never forget her friend Madeleine because of the story...she will always remember the significance of it. What a unique story!

I need to get those books the next time we are in the states. I have a list of books for just that purpose. We LOVE our trip to Barnes & Noble. Daddy usually gives us a pretty good-sized budget for books. In our family, they are our most prized possessions. I read every night for bedtime. We have carved out a spot amongst tons of pillows in the spare bedroom and read there. It's my favorite part of the day! Thanks for the story about your daughter and her friend...I will tell the girls about them the next time we read Madeline's Rescue!!!

message 47: by Pamela (new)

Pamela Santina....I just ran across your entry about how your husband thinks the word "fart" is gross and you use the word "fluff" instead! That is SO CUTE!

In our house we use "toot" instead. It is really a GAS to listen to my husband read the book, "Walter the Farting Dog" to the girls always substituting the word "toot" for "fart." (No pun intended...!)

"Betty agreed. Walter agreed too. He sat there, looking innocently around, TOOTING."

LOL!!! Hilarious! And so, so cute...!

message 48: by Marjorie (new)

Marjorie We say Bop Bop in our house instead of FART. Fart is a word that is just not funny to say. It seems kind of harsh and unkind. It is abrupt. FART. I dunno....wierd word that. Bop Bop, now that is FUN! And to hear my daughter laugh her ass off and say she Bop Bopped, oh my, that is hilarious. But that is just us. : )

message 49: by Santina (new)

I agree Marjorie, fart just isn't fun. There are so many funny words to use instead.

message 50: by Molly (new)

Molly | 33 comments I have just boys so this subject of farting is near and dear to us. As a kid we always said "air poop" that is gross. Our family now uses the "safety" when some one becomes "musical" inconfined spaces. OHH i could go on and on.

« previous 1