Out Out discussion

Out by Natsuo Kirino

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by JoAnne (last edited Aug 25, 2016 11:04AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

JoAnne This is a book about women, desperation and povery in Japan. I could barely put it down and will always think about when I eat a bento box.

message 2: by Chrissy (last edited Aug 25, 2016 11:04AM) (new)

Chrissy This book was really quite empowering and appalling at the same time. I couldn't put it down!

Richard I enjoyed it. The author certainly uses very descriptive language to describe the surroundings and the lives of these women, and the events they get caught up in.

Interview with Natsuo Kirino:
http://www.japanreview.net/interview_...

Michael Brown I read this a few weeks after a brief trip to Tokyo and it was very evocative and even informative after the fact. I liked it a lot, but then Japan is a fascinating place.

Daria Dykes I really loved the book, found it extremely insightful on women's issues and instructive on the particularities in Japanese culture.

...I didn't quite know how to process the ending, though. I'm still not sure what to make of it.

Nicki Fantastic book. Can't recommend it highly enough. Have just got one of the author's other books, look forward to reading that too.