The Jane Austin Book Club discussion

Which of the movies made of Jane's books do you like the best or least?

Comments Showing 1-26 of 26 (26 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Literary (new)

Literary I loved the A&E Pride & Prejudice with Colin Firth. It seems the most similar to the book of any movie made. Of course all A&E productions are pretty good. Also I loved Sense & Sensibility with Emma Thompson.

message 2: by Carol (new)

Carol Holdren (CarolHoldren) | 3 comments Have you seen Persuasion? That is my favorite Jane Austin movie.

message 3: by Literary (new)

Literary To Carol: Yes I have actually an A&E production. Probably the same one. I did like it although I have to be honest that one was my least favorite of her books.

message 4: by Carol (new)

Carol Holdren (CarolHoldren) | 3 comments I will have to read it again because it is one of my favorite movies. One book I had inlcuded an excellent anaylsis of the story but it was digital and I don't have it any longer. I'll have to reread the book.

message 5: by Literary (new)

Literary A friend of mine also includes that one as her favorite. Hmmm... maybe I need to reread it. I just remember it being depressing and not like her other books but the story is good. I know from visiting her house in Bath they had said during the tour it was her last book and she was by this time in quite a lot of pain from what she died from (forget exactly) it is even today apparently quite rare but of course in those days things were different. So maybe this affected her writing.

message 6: by Carol (new)

Carol Holdren (CarolHoldren) | 3 comments The anaylsis discussed what happens when we persuade people to do something - the obligation it places on the persuader.

message 7: by Literary (new)

Literary No obligation necessary. I still have one of her books that I have not read which is Emma. It will take precedent. Thanks for the reply. This group is rather quiet. Perhaps everyone is reading.....

message 8: by Literary (new)

Literary That's 2 for Pride & Prejudice! Yes I agree with you Christy on Colin Firth!

message 9: by Koosh (new)

Koosh | 1 comments Best movies/series: Emma (BBC 2009), Pride & Prejudice (2008), Persuasion (2008). I loved these the best among all the film adaptations.

Are there any other good ones anyone can recommend?

message 10: by Erin (new)

Erin Hands down Pride and Prejudice (A&E), because of Colin Firth. He was absolutely perfect for it.

message 11: by Brittany (new)

Brittany m | 1 comments i like the A&E pride and prejudice we watched the whole thing at school and whenever it got to the end of class she had to stop it on a good part everyone was like noooooo we want to know what happen.i loved it so much i got the A&E pride and prejudice on DVD

message 12: by Mariah (new)

Mariah (mariah11) | 2 comments I love "Pride and Prejudice" with Keira Knightly. Best movie ever! :)
It was very true to the book. I also really love "Sense and Sensibility," but it's not as accurate as I would've liked.

message 13: by Sarah (new)

Sarah Lesan (SarahML) | 3 comments I love the Pride and Prejudice with Keira Knightly!!! So amazing!!! Persuasion (BBC version) was also sooo amazing! :D

message 14: by Suzanna (new)

Suzanna Garcia | 2 comments Emma (masterpiece classic)
Pride and Prejudice (BBC) haha yes Sarah it's way better ;)

message 15: by Tota (new)

Tota Elbakry (totaelbakry) | 1 comments my best is Pride & prejudice

message 16: by Jeannine (new)

Jeannine | 5 comments Pride & Prejudice

message 17: by Shorouk (new)

Shorouk El-Naggar (shorouknaggar) | 1 comments I read the novel and the movie in the same day >> I'm talking here about my best novel " Pride & Prejudice " <3
but I hated Mansifield Park as a movie.

message 18: by Ghazaleh (new)

Ghazaleh (ghazalehpakdel) | 1 comments Persuasion ! I even cant stop watching this movie at least once a month!:)

message 19: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Huettl (lisalor) | 1 comments My favorite would have to be the BBC Pride and Prejudice with Colin Firth followed closely by Persuasion.

message 20: by Tammy (new)

Tammy Stickler | 1 comments Carol wrote: "Have you seen Persuasion? That is my favorite Jane Austin movie."

I totally agree. I love the A&E version! So sweet and romantic!

message 21: by Mariah (new)

Mariah (mariah11) | 2 comments My favorite Jane Austen movie is "Pride & Prejudice" with Keira Knightley. I also really LOVE "Sense & Sensibility" with Emma Thompson. My least favorite was "Emma" with Gwyneth Paltrow, but I really liked the BBC version. I also did not like "Persuasion."

message 22: by Susan (last edited Apr 27, 2013 11:16AM) (new)

Susan (bookmom07) | 1 comments Well, this will make me unpopular in this group, but here goes. The two best film versions of Jane Austen books that I have seen are: the BBC version of Pride and Prejudice" (Colin Firth as Mr. Darcy = inspired casting choice), and "Sense and Sensibility" the 1999 version directed by Ang Lee and scripted by Emma Thompson. Both titles have a permanent home in my DVD collection. And now for the unpopular part - The worst Jane Austen film adaptation it has been my misfortune to see, is the recent version of "Pride and Prejudice" with Keira Knightley. Deborah Moggach, the scriptwriter, deserves to have her license permanently revoked for the outrageously insipid ending she invented and tacked on to the end of this film. There is a reason Jane Austen is a classic author and has stood the test of time. And a text of that caliber should not be tampered with, especially not by someone as inept as Moggach. It completely ruined the film for me.

message 23: by Lindgirl (last edited Jul 18, 2013 03:46AM) (new)

Lindgirl | 1 comments A bit late but i just joined, I love most Movies made of Jane's but i most like the versions made by the BBC, especially Northanger Abbey. I find the BBC versions to be like the books and more real to what it would of been like.

message 24: by Afnan (new)

Afnan | 1 comments Absolutely pride and prejudice I. Loved the book and the movie was just amazing ❤❤❤❤

message 25: by Jeannine (new)

Jeannine | 5 comments I love them all! I can't pick just one. I love those kinds of books and movies.

message 26: by Renee (new)

Renee | 1 comments By far for me, Sense and Sensibility! The late Alan Rickman who played Col. Brandon was amazing. Of course the end...woops, no spoilers. Loved the ending and will leave it at that!! Pride and Prejudice is my second.