Provo City Library Book Club discussion

Plot > Peeta and the Careers

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Provo (new)

Provo City Library | 111 comments Mod
Why does Peeta join with the Career Tributes in the beginning of the Games? What does he hope to gain? Why do they accept him when they start hunting as a group? Why do groups form in the beginning when they know only one of them will be able to survive?

message 2: by Martha (new)

Martha I think Peeta joined with the Careers because Haymitch told him it was important to Katniss' survival, and that was all he cared about.

They accept him because is strong & can help them get ahead. Another factor might be that they don't truly feel he will be a danger to them when the group dissolves, because he is not innately cruel.

Groups form in the beginning to take out other competition, even if they know that eventually they will turn on each other. It probably doesn't hurt to know that they can learn more about each other's weaknesses while they are allies, then use that knowledge against one another after the alliance falls apart.

message 3: by Diane (new)

Diane (dianders1) | 2 comments I agree with Martha. He was in a position to dissuade the Careers from targeting Katniss, or if that failed to at least have some advance notice to warn and/or protect her.

message 4: by Toni (new)

Toni | 4 comments I think it is true that Peeta joined the Careers to help out Katniss, but I'm not sure why he was accepted by them. They said he was handy with a knife so did he stay at the Cornucopia and kill tributes until it was only him left with the Careers? That seems likely, but it is hard to reconcile that hard, killing Peeta with the one that can't sneak through a forest, can't find his own food, and is lovey-dovey with Katniss. Maybe he is capable of violence, but he acts more vulnerable around Katniss because he knows she is more comfortable being in charge. Or maybe he was able to become that killing machine because he thought he had to to save Katniss. The Games make people do awful things because everything is life or death.