Ilona Andrews Fans discussion

Kate Daniels: The Books > Magic Mourns (book 3.5)

Comments Showing 1-24 of 24 (24 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Katyana (new)

Katyana | 12 comments !!!!

Its basically Kate 3.5.

In the Must Love Hellhounds anthology.

message 2: by Bry (new)

Bry (utqtbry) Oh I haven't read this yet! Must now!

message 3: by new_user (new)

new_user Raphael is sweet, but I like the Magic books better, hehe.

message 4: by Katyana (new)

Katyana | 12 comments Yeah, its primarily Andrea and Raphael in this novella, but I thought it gave a lot of insight into why Andrea reacted the way she did in Magic Bleeds. It kept me sympathetic to her, and I suspect that if I hadn't read the novella, I may not have been.

Besides, all Magic is good Magic, I think. :-)

message 5: by Bry (new)

Bry (utqtbry) I just read this and now wish I had read it before reading Magic Bleeds. I think you are right Katyana. I would have been a lot more sympathetic to Andrea's feelings if I had.

I had totally forgotten about the chandelier pantie thing until I read this too!

I definitely liked seeing how they got together too, and seeing a bit of a vulnerable side in Aunt B.

message 6: by Katyana (new)

Katyana | 12 comments Yeah! I thought it was a fun one. I like the supporting cast in the MAGIC series a lot, so it was fun to get a short on them.

And I loved the nod to the apples, early in BLEEDS... and Kate's sketch of a lion with an apple pie. Hahahaha

message 7: by Bry (new)

Bry (utqtbry) Oh my gosh yes! That poor pie then got trashed too! So sad!

message 8: by Mariya (new)

Mariya (cr6zym0nkeyiz) | 169 comments Mod
so this is basically a rapheal and andrea short story correct? i should read it after magic strikes since i havent read the last 2 books yet?

message 9: by Katyana (new)

Katyana | 12 comments Yeah, read it after STRIKES. It is positioned between STRIKES and BLEEDS.

message 10: by Mariya (new)

will do.

message 11: by Sooz (new)

Sooz Anzalone (soozee) | 12 comments Enjoyable read, and the whole mating ritual Raphael's parents went through was hilarious!

message 12: by valee (new)

valee While I love Andrea and Raphael, I don't feel like reading a book about them. I loved to see them appearing from time to time in the previous books but I don't think I would love to read a book from their POV.

message 13: by Mariya (new)

I didn't read it either. I may in the future, but I just don't think I would enjoy it as much as Kate and Curran.

Samina The Story Devourer  | 87 comments Yeah I agree. I am just not dying to read about both of them. I might do when I want a lil bit more of Ilona Andrews other than KD.

message 15: by Sooz (new)

Sooz Anzalone (soozee) | 12 comments It is a fun read and it gives you a bit of insight into their relationship. I have a feeling that it will play a part in Magic Slays, seeing how it ending in Magic Bleeds.... If for nothing else, it will give you a bit of KD world while we wait until May..sigh...

message 16: by valee (new)

valee Maybe once I feel nostalgic for not having anything in the series to read I'll read this one,LOL.

message 17: by Julia26 (new)

Julia26 | 8 comments I have a question:
Haven't read this novella yet and
I read in a review that there's also an interesting new fact you learn about Curran in it! so can someone tell me please which info that would be???

Sarah ♥ dog crazy ♥  (mylheage) I just finished that story and overall I liked it.

Loved the action and how IA oncorporated Greek mythology. They always do a great job with this.

I like both Andrea and Raphael and it was great to get her POV and learn more about her horrible past.

There was a bit too much swooning over him for my taste and I was glad when they got together and we could concentrate on the action.

I haven't read the last two books yet so I guess we'll get some drama between them that make a whole book necessary.

The tidbit at the end, that Curran possesses some very old magic, was really interesting. But I defo don't want him and Kate both be immortal. That would be too PR cliché for me.

Overall I really enjoyed the novella.

message 19: by Arushi (new)

Arushi | 124 comments I am glad you liked it Sarah :)
I liked the part where Aunt B seems human in it.. she somehow reminds me of the witch in the candy house (Hansel and Gretel?).. though of course she actually likes and protects children.. but I am sure you know what I mean.

I just found the whole swooning over Raphael funny. I always thought it was somewhat over the top even in the main books, so I guess, I just went over it here the same way, with an eye roll.

The book is necessary, trust me. And its a good idea to read it. Well.. maybe not that important, so far, but the next book that is gonna come out will be Andrea's.. so that does make this one important.

I am not sure Kate and Curran will be immortal. The thing is.. IA have been careful in their wording, and everywhere, its mentioned that either "their magic" or "the blood that flows in my (Kate's) veins" is old magic. So me thinks, that they can be super strong magically, and yet.. not be immortal.
I hope so.. immortal just leaves it too open.

message 20: by Bungluna (new)

Bungluna | 25 comments There's a difference between immortal and hard to kill. Erra was 'hard to kill' though she'd lived for many centuries.

message 21: by Arushi (new)

Arushi | 124 comments Ah... but immortal simply means you have the potential to live forever, not that you do. Thats how most immortal characters are in PN and UF. They simply stop aging, and can only be killed. There is no death by natural causes.

Sarah ♥ dog crazy ♥  (mylheage) Stupid question and maybe I missed it in the books... How old do shapeshifters get?

I know Raphael is popular with the ladies but since we never saw Andrea's POV in the books I thought her reaction to him was a bit much.

Maybe that's because I like that fact we don't get a constant "He's so hot" or "He smells so awesome" about Curran in the main books.

message 23: by Arushi (new)

Arushi | 124 comments Actually, I dunno either. I know Mahon is 62 (IA website) and he does not act old at all, but that's all I have.
Maybe most of them simply die violent deaths?
I guess the alphas get challenged, and then they die? No chance to get old?

Shrug. I agree. There is popular with the ladies, and then there is acting like he really is a character out of a book, in real life. He isn't.

Hummmm He is different that way. I kinda like him that way too. When are you starting Magic Slays??? Then I can quit worrying abt my wording.

Sarah ♥ dog crazy ♥  (mylheage) I'm reading Dali's short at the moment.