Outhouse of Uncool discussion

Coolness Revisionizzzm

Comments Showing 1-50 of 162 (162 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4

message 1: by [deleted user] (last edited Jun 11, 2008 07:20AM) (new)

I couldn't agree more, Donald... Coolness is uncool, and uncoolness is cool. Hence my list:

SO UNCOOL THEY'RE COOL
Kathy Lee Gifford
Yanni
Jewel's Poetry
Turn Signals
AARP
Novelty Socklets
Binder Clips

SO COOL THEY'RE UNCOOL
Tom Waits
Williamsburg
Oral Sex
Oily Hair
Zooey Deschanel
Libertarianism
Hunter S. Thompson

SO UNCOOL UNTIL THEY WERE COOL WHICH MADE THEM UNCOOL
Wilford Brimley
Emoticons
Members Only
Minnie Riperton
Nancy Pelosi
Nerdy Eyeglasses
Wine Coolers

SO COOL UNTIL THE BACKLASH (UNCOOL) BUT NOW COOL AGAIN
Don Delillo
Pollution
Bundt Cakes
Chloe Sevigny
Smurfs
Venereal Disease
Plastic

IF YOU EVEN HAVE TO ASK...
Trucker Caps
Ironic T-Shirts
The Hills
The Maroon 5 Guy
Fauxhawks
The Village Voice
Studded Belts

message 2: by [deleted user] (new)

Aw shucks, Donald...

I must say I have an inherent suspicion of things "cool people" like or do. I may overcome that suspicion if warranted, but more often than not, I want everyone who shops at Hollister to suffer horribly. Does that make me a bad person? Oh well.

message 3: by [deleted user] (new)

Out of the two threads at the Outhouse of Uncool, this one's definitely less cool. And therefore more cool by being less cool.

message 4: by Meels (new)

Meels (amelia) David, you are the coolest of the uncool. The thing is, you are so cool that no one wants to compete with your coolness. "Shoes too big to fill" and all that shit.

message 5: by Gus (new)

Gus Sanchez (gussanchez) Fuck you, David. Hunter S. Thompson will always be cool.

And how can you forget Neil Diamond? He's the epitome of so uncool he's cool. How else do you explain his last album debuting at #1?

And fuck you all for not inviting me to this group...wait, was I not supposed to have been invited? Uh...

message 6: by [deleted user] (new)

I disagree about Neil Diamond. He's too ironically cool (in a hipster way), which makes him so uncool that he's so cool that he's uncool again. He's traveled to coolness continuum.

Oh, and regarding Hunter S. Thompson, fuck you too. With all due respect.

message 7: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony I don't know if Hunter S. Thompson belongs in the "cool/uncool" discussion. He trancends such labels.

Chloe Sevigny is never going to be cool to me. How did she ever get cool in the first place? She always looks dazed, like someone punched in her in the face.

I think studded belts might belong in a different category. I'm not sure which.

And I like Neil Diamond.

message 8: by Gus (new)

Gus Sanchez (gussanchez) Fuck you harder, David, and the horse you rode in all. With all due respect.

I would like to propose another category to this list, if I may:

NOT EVEN ALL THE MONEY IN THE WORLD WILL EVER MAKE THEM COOL

John McCain
Hummers (the kind you drive)
Virginity
Branson, MO.
Jenna Jameson
Karl Rove

message 9: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony Hm. No, I disagree, Gus. Virginity can be cool.

message 10: by [deleted user] (new)

Chloe Sevigny is cool, RA. She just doesn't pick the best movie roles. Except for The Brown Bunny, which was awesome.

message 11: by [deleted user] (new)

I think maybe this group had already devolved into the kind of vapid banter that Donald was trying to avoid. Sorry, Donald!

message 12: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony You are wrong, David. Very wrong. But I still want to see Brown Bunny, I guess, if only to see what pissed off Ebert so much.

message 13: by [deleted user] (new)

No, no, RA. Ebert gave a glowing review of the current version of The Brown Bunny. It was the (unavailable) Cannes version that made him pop a vessel.

message 14: by Meels (new)

Meels (amelia) Heh, RA, I am so uncool that I had to Google Chloe Sevigny, I had no idea who she was. I looked at her pics on IMDB, and I have to agree with you that she always looks dazed, but she has a pretty nice rack!

message 15: by Amanda (new)

Amanda (randymandy) (Pssst... Amy, I'm about to google her, too. And Hunter S. Thompson.)

message 16: by Meels (new)

Meels (amelia) (Mandy, she was the one in Zodiac with cute broke back guy...she was his wife who left him, kinda nerdy in the movie)

message 17: by Amanda (new)

Amanda (randymandy) (What's Zodiac?)

(Hee hee! Just kidding. It's a movie, I know that much...)

message 19: by Gus (new)

Gus Sanchez (gussanchez) You had to Google HST? Ye Gods!

message 20: by Amanda (new)

Amanda (randymandy) I told you. I'm not even uncool enough to be as uncool as you lot. I'm just lint.

message 21: by Gus (new)

Gus Sanchez (gussanchez) You're much cooler than you give yourself credit for, Mandy Panda.

message 22: by Jessica (new)

Jessica (jesstrea) Mandy is one of those so-super-cool-you-can't-even- see-it-coming gals!

message 23: by Amanda (new)

Amanda (randymandy) Do you think it's my glasses or the fact that I still dress like it's 1983? Or maybe it's my maddd crochet skillz?

I swear, I wasn't fishing! Oh, crap. Now you guys are going to think I was fishing...

message 24: by Gus (new)

Gus Sanchez (gussanchez) Hook, line and sinker, Mandy.

message 25: by Jessica (new)

Jessica (jesstrea) yer just a fishergal. Nah..you're just so cool cause you're in love with life. that's v cool Mandy!

message 26: by Meels (new)

Meels (amelia) Mands...I crochet too...

message 27: by Amanda (new)

Amanda (randymandy) I crocheted myself a skirt once. It falls off my body because I did a shit job of it. And you can see my underwear straight through the damn thing. But I like wearing it, so I do it anyway... :)

message 28: by Meels (new)

Meels (amelia) I only crochet baby blankets. I started a giant one for myself, but I've never finished it. I get bored too quickly with the colors, and I can't read a pattern to save my life. I try, but then it looks like a big knot rather than a cool new stitch...

message 29: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (songgirl7) Yes, I agree, virginity can be VERY cool. It's one of those so uncool that it's cool things.

message 30: by Amanda (new)

Amanda (randymandy) Yeah, it can be cool if you're in high school. Or maybe even for the first couple years of college. But after that, not so much. Do you know any adult virgins? Sooooo glad I got drunk and desperate when I did. I don't think I could handle being a virgin right now.

message 31: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (songgirl7) I do know a 40-year-old virgin, and this person is the biggest pain in the ass I have ever encountered.

I waited until I was 20. I planned to wait until I was married, but a night of many drinks with a major crush ended that.

But yeah, when I said virginity was cool, I meant for the younger crowd. So many teens rush into having sex and I think it's very sad.

message 32: by Amanda (new)

Amanda (randymandy) 21 for me. My guy was very cute and so tough! He wore a bike chain as a necklace.

Can't remember his last name to save my life. Starts with a Z, but beyond that, I got nothin.'

message 33: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (songgirl7) Mandy, when's your birthday? I'm looking forward to you joining the 30s club.

message 34: by Amanda (new)

Amanda (randymandy) September 30th!!! The best day of the whole year! I'm going skydiving. Can't wait! :) Now I just need to plan the event. I'm one of those people who has always liked getting older, and this is no exception. :)

message 35: by Meels (new)

Meels (amelia) Age is relative, my heart and mind are no where near 36!

Virginity rocks...if I could get mine back from Sean Cook, I'd do it in a minute. What a waste...

message 36: by Amanda (new)

Amanda (randymandy) I have a button that says, "I lost my virginity... Can I have yours?" Makes me laugh every time.

I don't want my virginity back, but I can think of a couple of sexcapades I'd gladly strike off my list of experiences. Talk about a waste.

Amy, what do you think Sean Cook is doing now?

message 37: by Meels (new)

Meels (amelia) Probably dead or in jail. I heard he turned into a drug dealer post HS...NICE! (I usually pick winners...some deep seeded need to "save" someone!) Next year is my 20 yr. reunion. I guess I'll find out then!

message 38: by Amanda (new)

Amanda (randymandy) Three days since anything happened in the Outhouse. I'm feelin' kinda BLAH about life, actually. I don't even feel like reading. WTF?

message 39: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony I think I'm a bit read-out, too, Amanda...I've been reading pretty intensely. Maybe I'll watch movies for a couple of days.

message 40: by [deleted user] (new)

I'm with you, Amanda I've been feeling blah, too. I'm having the opposite problem, though. I love the book I'm reading and I'm just about finished. In fact, I'm dying to finish it. I just can't seem to find the time. I've decided the only thing to kill my blahs is to read some Stephen King. It's like medicine.

RA--what movies are you going to watch?

message 41: by Amanda (last edited Jun 20, 2008 07:00AM) (new)

Amanda (randymandy) Jesus, I haven't watched a movie in a thousand years. I did watch the new episode of Reno 911 last night. It was ok. I've never read any Stephen King. I think I'd have nightmares for a month if I did! Yikes! RA, are you going to the theatre or sit on your comfy couch with a brewsky? (Shell, I'll swing by to pick you up--we can totally crash his party!)

message 42: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony A bunch of foreign ones (e.g. The Seventh Seal)...I'm catching up on my art films. David has pointed me in the right direction with those. I also have a Joy Division documentary I want to see...

No, I don't think I'll hit the theatre...nothing particularly compelling, although I guess I kind of want to see Get Smart...

I'll probably watch a lot of baseball this weekend, too.

I just started reading "Emma" and I don't want to half-read it because I'm burnt out.

Shell, what's so good that you're reading?

message 43: by [deleted user] (new)

Whoo-hoo, I'll have on my party shoes, Amanda. You going to pick me up in the convertible? We can be two fine women cruising along. Good times.

No Stephen King!!?? That just ain't right! If you've never read him, and you don't want to be scared, I totally recommend *The Eyes of the Dragon*. It's a bit of a fantasy book, and very subtle for SK.

RA--I'm reading *The Shadow of the Wind*. It's a mystery, a romance, and beautiful writing all wrapped into one. It reminds me of the old mystery stories--a little more sophisticated and it's fun to watch it unfold.

message 44: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (songgirl7) Anthony, I love a man who reads Austen.

message 45: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony It's my first time with Austen, Sarah, thanks...read the first ten pages or so last night, seems pretty good...

message 46: by Amanda (new)

Amanda (randymandy) I'll add Eyes of the Dragon to my "recommended by others" shelf. :)

Get those shoes on, gal (and bring some sunscreen)! I'm on my way...

message 47: by Meels (last edited Jun 22, 2008 02:22PM) (new)

Meels (amelia) RA, Emma is my favorite Austen! Enjoy!!

*Edit, damn it Sarah, cut me some slack, the last two weeks have been REALLY busy!!

message 48: by Amanda (new)

Amanda (randymandy) I almost said it's your favorite book of all time, but that's Jane Eyre. Oops.

message 49: by Amanda (last edited Jun 20, 2008 11:56AM) (new)

Amanda (randymandy) You know what game I like to play?

Which Outhouse members are NOT pictured at the bottom of the "GroupHome" page.

It's fun. Since there are only 14 of us, and 12 appear at the bottom of the page, there are always two of us missing. You should try it sometime. It's pretty fulfilling.

message 50: by [deleted user] (new)

Amanda--this baby white skin? I always have sunscreen on, trust me. :)

I tried your game, but it just wasn't as fulfilling as I expected. You better come pick me up soon...

« previous 1 3 4