Ilona Andrews Fans discussion

Kate Daniels: The Books > Magic Strikes (Book 3)

Comments Showing 1-24 of 24 (24 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Bry (new)

Bry (utqtbry) Magic Strikes (Kate Daniels, #3) by Ilona Andrews

Drafted into working for the Order of Merciful Aid, mercenary Kate Daniels has more paranormal problems than she knows what to do with these days. And in Atlanta, where magic comes and goes like the tide, that's saying a lot.

But when Kate's werewolf friend Derek is discovered nearly dead, she must confront her greatest challenge yet. As her investigation leads her to the Midnight Games—an invitation only, no holds barred, ultimate preternatural fighting tournament—she and Curran, the Lord of the Beasts, uncover a dark plot that may forever alter the face of Atlanta's shapeshifting community…

message 2: by Mariya (new)

Mariya (cr6zym0nkeyiz) | 169 comments Mod
wanted to start this week but gotta start clockwork angel! hopefully next week ill be reading it. there r just too many books to read.

message 3: by Mariya (new)

so i just started this today, didnt even get that much into it. b/c of skool and work...but i loved the first 2 chapters. saiman is so funny. and derek.

**********SPOILER**********
“I refuse because no matter what shape you wear, I know it’s you. And you don’t really want me for who I am. You want me because I said no.”
He considered it. “Perhaps. But the fact remains: by refusing me, you are now my ultimate luxury. That one thing I can’t have. You won’t see me. You don’t return my phone calls. All my attempts to apologize for my behavior during the flare have gone unanswered. It’s very difficult to seduce a woman when she refuses to acknowledge your existence. I’m looking forward to having you to myself for an entire night.”
**********SPOILER**********

message 4: by Regina (new)

Regina (reginar) The dialogue is sooooo good. Magic Strikes is great -- some very sad heart wrenching stuff happens. But it is good, you will feel the need to go right on to $4 when you finsih.

message 5: by Mariya (new)

haha. i knoe and i loved the first curran and kate encounter in magic strikes, where she is talking about can i.....your, majesty and he is standing rite behind her! HAHAHAHHAHAHAHA. and i loved when she was like i lay in bed awake worriying about your feelings, your majesty...haha. love kate and curran. loving this book so far!

message 6: by Mariya (new)

i just finished magic strikes! it was amazing. the best book in the series so far.

message 7: by Josie (new)

Josie | 23 comments Yeah, strikes and bleeds are my favs.
I loved the whole storyline in strikes with the Midnight Games and of course, Curran in a cage... :)

message 8: by Mariya (new)

i loved that stuff. maybe i liked it a lot b/c of the midnight games...well, there were lots and lots of reasons i loved it. i liked that we got to knoe more about kate's past and how curran and jim met derek. and all the wonderful curran and kate scenes we got. loved them!

message 9: by Wendes (new)

Wendes | 188 comments i loved magic strikes!!! it had an amazing storyline and loved how they all fought together as a team in the tournament. the kate and curran development was amazing. she really flushed out her characters in this book, we know more about their personality and their pasts.

message 10: by Carolyn F. (new)

Carolyn F. It was nice for Curran to see that she really was very tough and could hold her own in a fight. I liked that.

message 11: by Wendes (new)

Wendes | 188 comments yea i think the reason why Kate is different for Curran and not just another fling is because she's strong enough, and the first girl that doesn't fear him or say things just because he wants to hear them.

message 12: by Dani (new)

Dani Marescotti (dani15) | 168 comments I totally agree Seeker.

OMG! The Can-I scene!!!! Hilarious!!!!!! I read this series on my Kindle and highlight all the amusing dialogue. The Midnight Games were very interesting to be and I kinda agreed with Andrea when she was mocking Kate about her and Curran fighting in the Games together, mentioning that it would be romantic, almost like a honeymoon. Well, you know, except for the battle-to-the-death-or-until-you-can't-fight-anymore thing. Otherwise I thought it would be fun.

message 13: by Wendes (new)

Wendes | 188 comments LOL "Can-I girl" XD

message 14: by Dani (new)

Dani Marescotti (dani15) | 168 comments Does anyone else remember part of that scene where Kate promised Curran the naked dinner over the phone?

I loved this:

"...and you expect me to fall on my back with my legs spread."
"Not necessarily." His voice matched mine in calmness. "You can fall on your hands and knees if you prefer. Or against the wall. Or on the kitchen counter. I suppose I might even let you be on top, if you make it worth my while."

Ahh, how I love Curran and Kate's banter.

message 15: by Marsha (new)

Marsha | 13 comments Seeker wrote: "yea i think the reason why Kate is different for Curran and not just another fling is because she's strong enough, and the first girl that doesn't fear him or say things just because he wants to he..."

Absolutely - and because she's not falling all over herself to be with him. And she's not playing hard to get either - which is so much better.

message 16: by Wendes (last edited Jun 17, 2011 05:11PM) (new)

Wendes | 188 comments I've been trying to remember a quote that Kate said....someone commented on her poor shooting abilities and she thought something along the lines of "who exactly are these people and would they please line up before me preferably a few feet away...." something like that.

Anyone remember it?

message 17: by Wendes (new)

Wendes | 188 comments Dani wrote: "Does anyone else remember part of that scene where Kate promised Curran the naked dinner over the phone?

I loved this:

"...and you expect me to fall on my back with my legs spread."
"Not necessa..."

LOLL totally agreed ;)

message 18: by Bungluna (new)

Bungluna | 25 comments Seeker wrote: "I've been trying to remember a quote that Kate said....someone commented on her poor shooting abilities and she thought something along the lines of "who exactly are these people and would they ple..."

That quote comes from "Magic Strikes" page 200. It's a conversation between Kate and Raphael, while they are waiting on the platform of the ley line on their way to fetch Julie.

It's followed by one of my favorite funny bits: Raphael's dad's adventures in courtship.

message 19: by Wendes (new)

Wendes | 188 comments Thanks for the page reference! =)
Been searching for that forever

message 20: by Sarah ♥ dog crazy ♥ (last edited Feb 10, 2012 09:10AM) (new)

Sarah ♥ dog crazy ♥  (mylheage) I loved that book. So many wonderful parts.

We got to know more about some charcters' pasts (Kate, Jim, Curran).

Raphael's story about his dad's courtship was hilarious. I love that bouda more and more.

Curran is hot as usual! How I love that male fighting!

I really have to say there is not one of the main characters I dislike (so far) which normally is the case. I enjoyed seeing them all together in the Midnight Games.

Lannister, I met Hugh. At the moment I'm indifferent towards him. Let's see if that changes! LOL

message 21: by Lauren (new)

Lauren (laurenjberman) Finished Magic Strikes and absolutely loved it.

That Gladiator-style tournament and the action scenes were fantastic and the developments in Kate and Curran's relationship are excellent. I really enjoy their banter and sizzling chemistry.

Also enjoyed the information on Kate's origins and the little details about the secondary characters.

message 22: by Zeenat (new)

Zeenat (zeekwon) | 53 comments This is my favorite KD book. that tournament made the series for me!

message 23: by Dawn (new)

Dawn (dawnv) | 35 comments Lauren wrote: "Finished Magic Strikes and absolutely loved it. "

Even now this one is my favorite!

message 24: by Aarati (new)

Aarati | 9 comments I think the hot tub scene b/w Curran and Kate was AWESOME!!! LOVE this series.