Chicks On Lit discussion

Non Book Talk > Recipes: Cooking, baking & the like. Post yours here!

Comments Showing 1-50 of 115 (115 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3

Bloomin’Chick (Jo) aka The Eclectic Spoonie (bloominchick) Holli suggested I start a recipe thread since I've recently posted 2 recipes (1 in the "Dinner date w/?" thread and 1 in the "Other Sites" thread), so here it is!

I'm going to repost those 2 recipes here. I'm using seperate posts for each recipe so it's easier to read!

Feel free to post your recipes here too!

Bloomin’Chick (Jo) aka The Eclectic Spoonie (bloominchick) This is my Spaghetti w/Asparagus & Tomato:

There's Bacon in this recipe! To make it vegetarian, omit the bacon & drippings and use 2 table spoons of xtra virgin olive oil (or your oil of choice!) to saute the garlic & chopped onion in!

~1 bunch of asparagus, chopped (cut off the ends & disgard)
~3/4 package of uncooked spaghetti
Fill large pot w/hot tap water, add sea salt & a bit of xtra virgin olive oil to water and bring to a boil ~ Break spaghetti into 3rds just before you put it into the boiling water and add the asparagus! Cook pasta & asparagus according to pasta directions!

~5 to 6 slices of uncooked bacon
~1/8 tsp or eyeball dried minced onion (way better flavor than chopped onion!)
~2 heapings tspns of minced garlic (I have a jar in the fridge!)
~1 tsp dried parsley flakes (or fresh if you have it on hand)
~1 can of diced tomato's drained
~3/4 of a jar of sundried tomato's
3/4 cup fat free low sodium chicken broth
~1 tblspn no salt butter
~1/4 tsp sea salt
~heaping 1/4 tsp of fresh ground black pepper
~2tblspns lemon juice
~preshredded parm cheese
In a LARGE frying pan, cook bacon on med high heat until crisp, remove to a papertowel & crumble when slightly cooled ~ add onion, garlic and parsley to drippings and saute until onion is lightly browned (happens fast! stir constantly so as not to burn!) ~ add diced tomato's and sundried tomato's, cook for 2 minutes, then add broth and bring to a boil, once at a boil reduce to simmer and stir in butter, salt & pepper, let simmer for a minute or 2, remove from heat and stir in lemon juice.

Mix drained pasta & asparagus with tomato mixture either in large pot, the large frying pan or a large bowl! Top with crumbled bacon and shredded parm cheese! (Left overs are great cold the next day!)

message 3: by Bloomin’Chick (Jo) aka The Eclectic Spoonie (last edited Jun 11, 2008 06:49AM) (new)

Bloomin’Chick (Jo) aka The Eclectic Spoonie (bloominchick) This is my BBQ Sauce:

My BBQ Sauce:
-1/2 cup ketchup (use sodium free if you need to!)
-6 tablespoons of worchestshire sauce
-7 tablespoons of dark brown sugar
-2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
-eyeball some balsamic vinegar
-1/8 teaspoon or eyeball hot sauce
-eyeball minced garlic (I keep a jar of it in the fridge!) or powdered garlic
-eyeball onion powder
-eyeball fresh ground pepper (I've got one of those McCormick peppercorn grinders)
-eyeball whatever other spices you like!
STIR WELL BEFORE BASTING MEAT ON GRILL! (If it's too sweet, next time try 1 or 2 tblspns less brown sugar! For sweeter, use a tablespoon or 2 of good honey)

To store bought sauce, you can add the spices above, the worchestshire sauce & balsamic vinegar and:
-a couple of cap fulls of Jim Beam whiskey & a cap full of red wine vinegar w/garlic

Watch out for the sodium in store bought sauces! It tends to be very high which is why we now only use "Bone Suckin' Sauce" from the store! It's only got 100 mg's of sodium! (And it's SO good!) Too much sodium reaks havoc on me, makes me feel sick & gives me a migrane!

message 4: by Bloomin’Chick (Jo) aka The Eclectic Spoonie (last edited Jun 11, 2008 06:51AM) (new)

Bloomin’Chick (Jo) aka The Eclectic Spoonie (bloominchick) This is my quick & easy Honey Mustard Sauce (great for dipping chicken nuggets & tenders into!):

Depending on how much you need, start w/a quarter cup to a half cup of GOOD Honey (I use McLure's Pure US Grade A Cranberry Honey - there's just a hint of cranberry in there) and then stir in Spicey Brown Mustard (I use Golden's) in small amounts at a time & taste until it's to your liking!

message 5: by Tera, First Chick (new)

Tera | 2564 comments Mod
Food and Books?! A more perfect union has never been created!!!

message 6: by Tera, First Chick (new)

Tera | 2564 comments Mod
Ill post my favorite bookclub treat to make. I made this for bookclub and I think I did more eating than talking.

a little less than half a pound of jalapenos
a brick of cream cheese
package of bacon

(yeah I'm all about the health food)

Cut the jalapenos in half and scoop out and discard the seeds.
Put a dallup of cream cheese into the center of each halved jalapeno.
wrap with bacon. Secure with a toothpick.

Back those badboys till the bacon is nice and cooked.

Take them out and fight me for the last one.

message 7: by Sydney (new)

Sydney (sydneyh) as if i needed another reason to keep checking this group every five minutes. now we're doing recipes? productivity is about to go out the window!!!

message 8: by April (new)

April (contusions96) Check out canarygirl.com if you want some good recipes. I love that website.

message 9: by Beth (new)

Beth Larabee | 52 comments I'm going to love this thread!!!

Spiced Sweet Roasted Red Pepper Hummus

INGREDIENTS
1 (15 ounce) can garbanzo beans, drained
1 (4 ounce) jar roasted red peppers
3 tablespoons lemon juice
1 1/2 tablespoons tahini
1 clove garlic, minced
1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley

DIRECTIONS
In an electric blender or food processor, puree the chickpeas, red peppers, lemon juice, tahini, garlic, cumin, cayenne, and salt. Process, using long pulses, until the mixture is fairly smooth, and slightly fluffy. Make sure to scrape the mixture off the sides of the food processor or blender in between pulses. Transfer to a serving bowl and refrigerate for at least 1 hour. (The hummus can be made up to 3 days ahead and refrigerated. Return to room temperature before serving.)
Sprinkle the hummus with the chopped parsley before serving.

message 10: by Tera, First Chick (new)

Tera | 2564 comments Mod
I am SO making this for my next book club meeting!!! Do you serve it with crackers or veggies?

message 11: by Beth (new)

Beth Larabee | 52 comments Tera, I like it with multigrain tortilla chips. But anything will be fine!

message 12: by Sydney (new)

Sydney (sydneyh) To me, nothing says summer like a good old fashioned jello salad loaded with fruit and whipped cream. So here's one of my favorites... you can actually just throw this one together, there's no waiting for it to set.

1 small box orange jello (sugar free is okay)
1 8 oz. container of cool whip (I use light or fat free)
1 8 oz. container reduced fat cottage cheese
1 15 oz. can crushed pineapple, well drained
1 large can of mandarin oranges, drained

Mix it all together in a large bowl. Chill and serve.

message 13: by Leslie (new)

Leslie Hickman (bkread2) | 233 comments okay its now lunch time and I just finished reading this so I definitely have to eat now!! I will have to get out my homemade cookbook and share some myself.

message 14: by Inky (new)

Inky | 19 comments Tera: I made those bacon wraps for a brunch with friends. I only got to eat one because they disappeared so fast! Talk about quick, easy and delicious -- thanks for sharing!

Bloomin’Chick (Jo) aka The Eclectic Spoonie (bloominchick) I nearly forgot this one! Quick & easy brushetta!

~1 to 2 cups of xtra virgin olive oil (depending on how many you're making it for)
~Minced garlic, garlic powder to taste
~Pinch of (sea) salt and pinch of pepper
~1 to 2 tspns dried parsley flakes
~2 to 4 tomato's (ALWAYS WASH PRODUCE BEFORE PREPARING!)
~Bag of shredded mozzerella or container of shredded parm cheese
1 or 2 packages of pita's

Mix the garlics, salt, pepper & parsley flakes and the xtra virgin olive oil well & place in a bowl w/a spoon~ chop tomato's & add them, mixing them into the oil mixture well~ toast the pita pockets well in your toaster (until golden or dark brown) then cut into triangles & place them on a plate or in a bowl as well~ leave the cheese in a bowl and there you have it!

People can either dip their pita chips into the brushetta or make a plate for themselves and sprinkle the cheese over it! (I've made this actually for when we got to the summer bands on the beach on wednesday evenings in june/july/august when we're meeting some friends and it always goes over well!)

message 16: by Tera, First Chick (new)

Tera | 2564 comments Mod
yum jo!
We make this at our house too only we add lots of fresh basil to ours and I've not tried it with cheese.

Bloomin’Chick (Jo) aka The Eclectic Spoonie (bloominchick) I'm not so crazy on basil! (Or oregano ~ yes, I know, I'm odd!) That's why I use parsley ~ I try to use fresh if I've got it though since it's got such a great flavor!

message 18: by Christal (last edited Jun 16, 2008 09:05AM) (new)

Christal I can't cook anything with peppers or onions because DH is allergic, but we make this appetizers whenever we have friends over for dinner and it's always a hit and so very easy. Who doesn't like bacon??

Bacon and Brown-Sugar Sausage Bites

Package of Li'l Smokies Sausages
Package of Thick Cut Bacon
Brown Sugar

Wrap each sausage with one pieces of bacon and secure with toothpick. Place sausages on baking sheet and sprinkle with brown sugar. Bake in oven at 350 degrees for 20-30 min or until bacon is crisp.

message 19: by Sydney (new)

Sydney (sydneyh) Terrific Turkey Burgers
(this is a modified version of a recipe I saw on Oprah)

1 pkg ground turkey
1 granny smith apple (peeled, cored, and cubed or shredded)
1/2 small onion, chopped
1/4 cup seasoned bread crumbs
1/2 tbsp margerine

sautee onion and apple in butter till onion is transparent. Stir into turkey until well blended. add bread crumbs. (you may need more or less, since ground turkey is really moist. you just need to get the mixture to stick together.)
Form into patties, throw those bad boys on the grill till they're cooked. Serve on a bun with swiss cheese or pepper jack and condiments as you see fit!

We grilled some of these a couple of weeks ago, and can't wait to make more!!!

message 20: by [deleted user] (new)

OMG what great recipies.. I love the Canary girl website! You should also check out Simply Recipies... she is amazing!

message 21: by Leslie (new)

Leslie Hickman (bkread2) | 233 comments I love to cook. I try to pick up a cookbook on every single vacation. hmmm... making me hungry!!! oh and speaking of food has anyone tried a cookbook based on food from novels? I have done garden flowering beds based on them just not food. Maybe I will have to try that next... I am going to fix some food now!

message 22: by Leslie (new)

Leslie Hickman (bkread2) | 233 comments Here's a simple recipe that you can tailor to your own tastes because of the type of fresh fruit you use. I tend to omit the almonds and use fat free mayo to lower and the fruit contents to lower the fat and sugar levels myself. This was from a French Class Project of French cooking from around the world, we created the cookbook as a fundraiser. This was something from a student in the group with family in New Orleans.

Chicken Salad with Fresh Fruit

3 cups cooked diced chicken
1 cup finely chopped celery
1 cup minced green onion
1 cup finely chopped pineapple
1 cup finely chopped apple
1/4 cup seedless raisins
1/4 cup toasted sliced almonds
1/2 cup mayonnaise
*about 1 1/2 to 2 cups of mixed seasonal fruits and berries (I tend to use a mixture of citrus, banana and berries)

In a mixing bowl combine ingredients except for the mayonnaise. Blend the chicken and fruit mixture till blended well. Slowly begin to mix in the mayonnaise and stir till blended in evenly. You can serve on toasted brrad or on crackers or on a bed of lettuce. Garnish with almonds and fruit on top. Its really good with a nice white wine such as Riesling. Keep refrigeratoed till ready to serve.

message 23: by Holli (new)

Holli Will someone tell me a simple easy way to make your own spaghetti sauce? And I mean SIMPLE. lol

I used to have a recipe I pulled out of one of those Betty Crocker little monthly recipe books you can buy at the grocery store near the checkstand and I can't find it anymore. I've been trying to duplicate it from memory and that's been kinda scary over the years.

I know it used a can of tomato sauce, a can of stewed tomatoes, a tablespoon of vegetable oil, and various other dry seasonings but can't remember what............

message 24: by Sydney (new)

Sydney (sydneyh) Holli... here's my super easy recipe for spaghetti sauce.

2 cans tomato paste (italian seasoned)
3.5 cans of water (that's how i measure it!)
1 packet good seasons italian salad dressing mix (just the seasoning packet)
garlic powder to taste
a sprinkle of basil
1 tablespoon of sugar

Put tomato paste in medium sized saucepan over medium heat. Add 3.5 cans of water to dilute. Stir until smooth (I use a wire whisk for this). Add seasoning packet, sugar and spices, continue stirring. Keep heat at medium until bubbly, then turn down to low and simmer for about 30 minutes.

Add meatballs, italian sausage, or chicken to make it heartier.

message 25: by Holli (new)

Holli Perfect Sydney......thank you SOO much!! I will try this on our next pasta night....it sounds yummy :)

message 26: by Meg (new)

Meg (megvt) | 3069 comments Dates and Bacon

This is one of the most delicious appetizer recipes (even if you don't like dates)

Take a date, wrap a piece of bacon around it once, stick in a toothpick to hold it together. Put in oven (or toaster oven) at 400 and bake until bacon is brown. Put on plate and serve. So very delicious.

message 27: by Cindy (new)

Cindy (cindylouyoung) | 105 comments mmmm - mmmm - GOOD Wontons

1 egg, beaten
1 cup bok choy...chopped fine1/4 cup green onion, finely chopped
2 T soy sauce
1 T grated ginger
1/4 t sugar
1/2 can water chestnuts, finely chopped
1/4 t salt
1/2 lb ground turkey, chicken or pork
1 package wonton skins

Dippin Sauce
1/2 cup soy sauce
1/4 cup water
1 t. sesame oil
1/4 t. sugar
1/4 t. crushed red pepper

In a large bowl mix egg, bok choy, grren onion, soy sauce, ginger, sugar, salt, chestnuts and ground meat. Mix well.....better if you can let sit 24 hours or overnight. Fill wrappers (directions are on wrapper container) Careful not to overstuff as you want to seal the wrappers all along edge...otherwise they will explode in oil. Fry until light golden brown. Serve with ginger/soy sauce. (I like to heat the sauce up so that it is not refrigerator cold, 30 seconds in microwave)

message 28: by Therese (new)

Therese | 60 comments Cindy that sounds fabulous!!! Actually everyone's recipes do...

message 29: by Kristen (new)

Kristen (kristen120378) Ok, the jalepeno, cream cheese, bacon things - YUM! I think I might have to make those some time.

I don't have any original recipes of my own (I live on www.food.com), but I've figured out anything that Rachael Ray cooks is good. I can't stand watching her on TV (talks way too much) but her recipes are easy and don't have a ton of ingredients. There's nothing worse than being single, living alone and buying a ton of things that you will never use again just to make one recipe. Very annoying...

message 30: by Tera, First Chick (new)

Tera | 2564 comments Mod
I totally agree Kristen. I can not STAND her show for any length of time but I do like her recipes. I always pick up her magazine because I think it has the best recipes of any of them out there.

message 31: by Sidney (new)

Sidney | 3 comments Oh my gosh ladies...thank you for all the wonderful recipes!!! They all sound so great! I have an amazing Tomato pie (I know it sounds bizarre) by Paula Deen, that I will try to find and post!!

Sidney = )

message 32: by Sidney (new)

Sidney | 3 comments Oh my gosh ladies...thank you for all the wonderful recipes!!! They all sound so great! I have an amazing Tomato pie (I know it sounds bizarre) by Paula Deen, that I will try to find and post!!

Sidney = )

message 33: by Karey (new)

Karey (kareyshane) | 116 comments Rachel Rays recipes look great, and I wish one of you lived nearby so you could cook up something on the spot and let me taste and devour. But on to other things, as I sit here eating chocolate chips and almonds...

Alright, are you ready for some heady literature on cooking and recipes in the form of my fave of all fave blogs about food? Chocolate & Zucchini is this tastily written review of Clotilde's personal forays into food.

She's a Parisian who lives in Montmartre. Her recipies are unbelievably delicious--at least, on the page, for me--since I'm in exile from cooking anything beyond poached eggs (long, sad story).

Check out her recipe for Kefir Lemon Sorbet. Ohh...my....word. If it's anything like the lemon sorbet I used to make for my children when they were little, you'll want to go make it right this very minute so that everyone you love and tuck in tonight will remember you as the Queen of Love and Sweet Memories.

Here's the link: http://chocolateandzucchini.com/archi...

message 34: by Holli (new)

Holli Does anyone have a good but easy lasagna recipe? I would appreciate it...... :)

message 35: by Hannah (new)

Hannah (hannah7299) | 303 comments Holly, I definitely recommend the Barilla lasagna noodles that you don't have to cook prior to baking your lasagna. Also ground turkey works great instead of beef if you want a healthier version! :) I would give you a recipe but I kind of throw everything together & "to taste" when I make one.

message 36: by Holli (new)

Holli Thanks Hannah! I did that last night and I think I remembered my mom's recipe that I had never written down and could never get right after the first time I made it. LOL Anyways, it turned out great!

Bloomin’Chick (Jo) aka The Eclectic Spoonie (bloominchick) For those of you who like Polish food, here's my Kapusta recipe:

Put 6 to 8 boneless pork ribs in a LARGE pot, cover with water and bring to a boil ~ skim off the fatty stuff, reduce to a low/med simmer ~ add 1 clove minced garlic, 1 bay leaf, 6 pepper corns and a 1/4 tsp of ground pepper, a 1/2 tsp of carroway seeds, 1 2lb pk of drained saurkraut, 2 chopped onions, 2 diced peeled potato's (make sure they're not baking potato's!), a 1/2 cabbage shredded and kielbasa (how much & cut as you like) ~ add more water to cover if needed ~ cover and bring to a boil again ~ then simmer on low, uncovered for 2 hours until pork is very tender and potato's break apart when you spear them to see if they're cooked! Around the last 1/2 hour, add all of your spices again!

Serve in large bowls (like soup) with russian rye or some kind of thick crusty bread!

I made this for the 1st time last night and Hubby said it was "GREAT!"

message 38: by Tish (new)

Tish | 59 comments For those that like to cook in a crock - pot, here is a super easy recipe:

1 pot roast(3-4 lbs)
1 can cream mushroom soup
1 onion soup/dip envelope
Salt and pepper to taste

Put the roast in the crock pot. Salt and pepper the roast. Spread the soup all over the roast. Sprinkle the onion envelope on top. Cook 4-6 hours on high.
You can serve it with rice or egg noodles. My family loves this recipe :)

message 39: by Cyn (new)

Cyn | 258 comments I love this thread...I just read from it! Lots of yummy Italian stuff here!

I do the crotch-pot roast too!

Sydney~ I have never thought of making tomatoe sauce with paste rather than sauce. Thanks for hte idea. I alwasy toss in some fresh veggies too, that I have auteed..depending on what I have or what is in season.

message 40: by Holli (new)

Holli Do you think paste is better than sauce or does it matter?

message 41: by Beth (new)

Beth | 11 comments This is my very favorite chicken recipe although I can only make it once every 4-6 weeks because it’s very rich and decadent. I found a version of this recipe from somewhere online and have made MANY changes and experimentations over the past couple years. This is my final version:

Feta and Pesto Chicken Rolls
Ingredients:
--3 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut in half
--pesto sauce (I buy the pre-made stuff in a tub)
--1 package of crumbled feta cheese
--1 egg
--milk (I don’t measure, but it’s probably somewhere between half a cup to a cup)
--4 T Italian bread crumbs (pre-made stuff from a can)
--4 T grated parmesan cheese

Notions:
--toothpicks
--square baking dish
--Ziploc baggie
--meat tenderizer
--low bowl

Husband (or big kid) Job:
--With meat tenderizer in hand, sic your helper on your halved chicken breasts. Instruct them to senselessly pound each half until it is flat (I usually try for a quarter of an inch thick)

Meanwhile:
--Preheat the oven to 375F
--Beat the egg in a low bowl and add the milk (make sure there’s enough to coat each chicken roll)
--Combine bread crumbs and parmesan cheese in a Ziploc baggie
--Once the breasts are flattened, smear a dollop of pesto on each breast
--Sprinkle feta cheese on top of pesto
--Roll the chicken (like a taco or burrito) and secure with a toothpick—I usually end up using 2-3 toothpicks per roll to make sure all the goodies are secured inside and don’t all ooze out while they’re in the oven.
--Warning: this part can get messy! This is the other reason I only make this once every 4-6 weeks…I need that passage of time to allow myself to forget the clean-up job!
--Dip each roll, one at a time, in the egg/milk mixture and coat thoroughly
--Drop each roll, one at a time, into the bread crumb/parmesan cheese mixture in the Ziploc baggie. Shake to coat thoroughly.
--Lay each roll in the baking dish and bake for 35-40 minutes or until chicken breasts reach 170F
--I’ve never sprayed the baking dish, only because there is enough oil in the pesto sauce (some does manage to ooze out) that nothing ever sticks.
--I’ve also never had problems with the chicken drying out, probably because of the breading. If you opt out of the breading (which would save on calories), you’d probably want to cover the dish with aluminum foil until the last 10-15 minutes to prevent the chicken from drying out.

I usually serve with green beans (flavored with basil) and a simple salad.

My husband hates boneless, skinless chicken breast for dinner but loves this meal. Feta cheese and pesto sauce were truly meant for each other!

message 42: by Holli (new)

Holli I need some help you all....

Can anyone give me a great non-alcoholic sparkling party punch recipe??

I would greatly appreciate it!!

message 43: by Kristen (new)

Kristen (kristen120378) You know, Holli, I have one at home that I love. Let me look to see if I can find it and I'll send it to you.

message 44: by Kathy (new)

Kathy  (readr4ever) | 111 comments My oh my, what delicious, yummy food. It all sounds sooooo good. I think I will have to try the asparagus and spaghetti first, Jo. This question may be ridiculous, but can you do it without the bacon, or would that just ruin it?

message 45: by Bloomin’Chick (Jo) aka The Eclectic Spoonie (last edited Dec 01, 2008 09:13AM) (new)

Bloomin’Chick (Jo) aka The Eclectic Spoonie (bloominchick) Not ridiculous at all Kathy! You can do it without the bacon & I have done without it! It's still great! (I'm glad you asked, I'd forgotten about this recipe and now will make it for dinner tonight! Yippie!)

And now for something completely different: Want to change up your plain oatmeal?! Before adding hot water/milk, sprinkle with cinnimon & brown sugar to your liking then add Ocean Spray Craisins (dried cranberries) and proceed with the hot water/milk! OMG, so good!

message 46: by Holli (new)

Holli Thank you so much Kristen....I need it for the party!! ;)

message 47: by Kate (new)

Kate | 106 comments This thread makes me so happy! If you need a good appetizer and LOVE cheese - this one is for you!

My Aunt Rita's famous cheeseball
2 8 oz. packages cream cheese
2 5 oz. jars Kraft Old English Cheddar Cheese
1 5 oz. jar Kraft Rocca Blue Cheese
3 TBSP. wine vinegar
1 TBSP. worchestchere sauce
garlic salt
Chopped nuts (I like walnuts)

Mix the cheeses at room temperature with a mixer. Add the vinegar, the Worchestchere sauce and the garlic salt to taste. Put the cheese ball in the fridge to chill for at least 30 minutes.

Take the ball out and roll it into two balls. roll each ball in chopped nuts. Serve one and freeze the other for you to enjoy later!

Bloomin’Chick (Jo) aka The Eclectic Spoonie (bloominchick) Ooooo, that sounds yummy Kate!

Anyone have a good Potato Leak soup recipe?

message 49: by Holli (new)

Holli Thanks so much Teri.....sounds perfect :) And I might have to try the add and taste part too. LOL

message 50: by Mich (new)

Mich | 150 comments i KNEW you girls all rocked.. now i REALLY know it!!! this is totally terrific!

« previous 1 3