Terminalcoffee discussion

Celebrate > summer festivals in your area.

Comments Showing 1-50 of 135 (135 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3

message 1: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments What cool summer festivals are in your area?

This weekend is Piratefest. Now, this isn't a celebration of Somali raiders or anything, but a celebration of cartoon/Pirates of the Caribbean pirates. Yes, we are a small town on Lake Michigan. I know. We're actually more known for shipwrecks than pirates, historically, but pirate re-enactors are much more fun than, um, what I imagine shipwreck re-enactors would be. Also there are fireworks, and food, and general festival-ness near the water. The local kids have fun.

http://www.portpiratefestival.com/

This pretty much kicks of festival season for us...there's something or the other happening locally just about every weekend trying to draw tourists. The worst is Fish Day, which, in my eyes, should be called "40,000 drunken white trash listen to 70s rock in the harbor parking lot" Day.

What about you? Cool festivals in your area?

message 2: by Gus (new)

Gus Sanchez (gussanchez) Does Lilith Fair count?

message 3: by Dr. Detroit (new)

Dr. Detroit | 6030 comments Outside of Todd Rundgren, this year's lineup is pretty weak, but I saw Cheap Trick here a few years back and they knocked the competition into a cocked hat:

http://newcenter.com/cityfest/2009/sc...

message 4: by Phil (new)

Phil | 11669 comments We always went to Bumbershoot in Seattle. Not much going on where we live now, except Pioneer Day in July which, for locals, is bigger than the 4th of July.

Every celebration here is the same. A couple of food vendors, an inflatable bounce house for the kids, and the mayor serving root beer floats. Yawn. Even on New Year's Eve there's nothing for adults. Probably because in Utah you're not allowed to be an adult.

message 5: by Dr. Detroit (new)

Dr. Detroit | 6030 comments Gus wrote: "Does Lilith Fair count?"

Only to those who enjoy painfully-strummed acoustic guitars, tonsil-flexing exercises in multi-layered operatic indulgence (like listening to hours on end of angst-ridden Enyas), wearing flowers in their hair and foregoing bathing and tending to their armpits more frequently than once every time Comet Kohoutek is in the solar system.

message 6: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 13815 comments Clark wrote: "Gus wrote: "Does Lilith Fair count?"

Only to those who enjoy painfully-strummed acoustic guitars, tonsil-flexing exercises in multi-layered operatic indulgence (like listening to hours on end o..."

Ouch. So does that apply to Emmylou? Cat Power? Brandi Carlisle? Erykah Badu? Heart? The Gossip? Tegan & Sara?

message 7: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments I have to admit that, even after reading Gus's gushing status update on FB, that I don't get the Erykah Badu thing. She's boring.

message 8: by Dr. Detroit (new)

Dr. Detroit | 6030 comments Sarah Pi wrote: "Clark wrote: "Gus wrote: "Does Lilith Fair count?"

Only to those who enjoy painfully-strummed acoustic guitars, tonsil-flexing exercises in multi-layered operatic indulgence (like listening to ho..."

Emmylou - No

Cat Power - Haven't a clue as I've never heard note one from her, but her biz name is tragic. Couldn't she come up with something better?

Brandi Carlisle - Too concerned with the big coin to expose her grey matter going up in flames.

Erykah Badu - What little I've heard and seen from her leads me to place her somewhere between roach and dung beetle on the roster of animated existence.

Heart - Still trying to channel the Zep mojo, so I guess not.

The Gossip? - Who?

Tegan & Sara - With that name, probably.

message 9: by Gus (new)

Gus Sanchez (gussanchez) Clark wrote, Gus wrote: "Does Lilith Fair count?"

Thanks, dick.

I happen to be going this year. And, no, it's not all what you defined, but since your preferences tend to be pretty shallow, I guess none of the acts in the lineup would appeal to your three-chords-and-a-beat sensibilities.

message 10: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments Gus is just going for the chicks. He's hoping a couple make out in front of him on the lawn.

message 11: by Gus (new)

Gus Sanchez (gussanchez) Yeah, and my wife will be watching and cheering me on...not.

message 12: by Dr. Detroit (new)

Dr. Detroit | 6030 comments Gus wrote:"I happen to be going this year."

You have my sympathy.

And you're right; any act that requires an owner's manual is definitely beyond my lunchpail-shot-and-a-beer vantage point. I'll live with it.

Hey RA: Does this qualify as that internet dust-up you were calling for a while back?

message 13: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments I sense a poll a'comin....we'll deal with it there!

message 14: by Gus (new)

Gus Sanchez (gussanchez) This isn't a dust-up. This is just Clark being Clark.

message 15: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments Poll is up!

message 16: by Dr. Detroit (new)

Dr. Detroit | 6030 comments So who was insulted by what? I don't recall getting personal with any of this, merely stating my opinion. Why should anyone care what I like or don't like?

I don't get it... I seem to remember someone (Gretchen...? OK, maybe not the best example) once telling me - and I'm paraphrasing here - that outside of insulting someone's wife, mother or daughter, not to mince words.

Has that now changed? I guess I didn't get the memo.

Jackie "the Librarian" | 8993 comments Clark, you got pretty personal, in an offensive way, about the grooming habits of the performers.

message 18: by Dr. Detroit (new)

Dr. Detroit | 6030 comments OK... Let me see if I have this straight. It's not considered offensive to enthusiastically discuss various and sundry slang for female genitalia or for Gus to wax nostalgic about his 'nads sticking to his leg but sarcasm based on admittedly-ridiculous stereotypes and directed toward Lilith Fair and the hopeless no-lifers who attend it (Oops...there I go again) is strictly off limits?

OK. Now I got it.

message 19: by Dr. Detroit (new)

Dr. Detroit | 6030 comments Misha wrote: "It was flat out sexist. I feel sorry for Clark that he's so afraid of girl cooties."

It's not the cooties that bother me. It's the stench.

message 20: by Lori (new)

Lori Oh I would love to go to Lilith! And I see Sarah McLachlan will be there - her new CD is out any day now, hoping she gets back to the magic.

And feh, I don't care what Clark thinks of her, I love her. And some of the others playing as well. Just some, because I don't know the others, I am so very ungroovy lately.

message 21: by Dr. Detroit (new)

Dr. Detroit | 6030 comments OK, Allred.

message 22: by Dr. Detroit (new)

Dr. Detroit | 6030 comments Misha the Mighty.

message 23: by Dr. Detroit (new)

Dr. Detroit | 6030 comments BunWat wrote: "But that means I get to express myself on the subject of what you said however I want. "

I don't recall trying to stop you.

message 24: by Kevin (new)

Kevin  (ksprink) | 11469 comments we had a strawberry festival yesterday. rather uneventful and without much controversy ;)

message 25: by Gus (new)

Gus Sanchez (gussanchez) Who knew that a seemingly innocuous comment about attending Lilith Fair would degenerate into a debate over sexism and questionable music tastes?

message 26: by Kevin (new)

Kevin  (ksprink) | 11469 comments whenever i say Lilith i feel like my tongue is really fat

message 27: by Dr. Detroit (new)

Dr. Detroit | 6030 comments BunWat wrote: "Clark is getting defensive now. Maybe we should back off and give him some room before he starts flailing about."

Yawnnnn...

message 28: by Dr. Detroit (new)

Dr. Detroit | 6030 comments Barb wrote: "Back up ladies, he's got looooong caveman arms."

Well, I am the first generation of my family to walk upright.

message 29: by Jackie "the Librarian" (last edited Jun 04, 2010 11:58AM) (new)

Jackie "the Librarian" | 8993 comments Clark, are you just trying to trash talk, and we're all taking you way too seriously?

message 30: by Dr. Detroit (new)

Dr. Detroit | 6030 comments Jackie "the Librarian" wrote: "Clark, are you just trying to trash talk, and we're all taking you way too seriously?"

Me AND yourselves.

Jackie "the Librarian" | 8993 comments Cat Power is awesome, by the way. At least, "Love and Communication" is, I forget who put that on a shebang a while back.

message 32: by [deleted user] (new)

I like the word Crikey!

message 33: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 13815 comments Clark, I think Bun said it really well when she said that you "conflate your personal tastes and opinions with universal standards of quality or competence."

You do have a way with words, and I enjoy reading your screeds about music, even when I don't agree, but you don't leave a lot of room in your personal old punk philosophy for other points of view.

I just get a little irritated when I see every Lilith Fair performer lumped into some made-up category that doesn't apply to most of them. The second I started naming names you started acknowledging exceptions, but the stereotype stands anyway.

I know I took it a little personally. I hate it when people say girls can't play. I hate it when we're all lumped into some category of delicate hippy waif. I hate that they can have punk and rock and indie and soul and hip hop on the lineup and still be dismissed as a festival for smelly hippy chicks. I hate that some people dismiss the idea of going to a show like Lilith Fair simply because of the idea of it, even if there are a thousand festivals going on this summer with far shittier lineups. God forbid that a man be seen at a show with female performers.

It may have just been sarcasm, but it got my dander up because I've seen the same attitude elsewhere, and I don't like it. As with invoking political correctness, sometimes it feels like "it was just a joke" or "it was just sarcasm" are just more excuses for saying something without accountability.

For the record, I carry my own amps, I set my own tones, I broke my hand doing a windmill in a low-ceilinged club and still finished the set. I would jump at the chance to play Lilith Fair if I hadn't been too lazy to get my name in before the deadline. I hate patchouli, refuse to comment on my armpit hygeine, and even when I'm just strumming an acoustic guitar I haven't been told that it's painful for anyone involved. I think even a few of the best three chord songs began with someone strumming an acoustic guitar.

message 34: by [deleted user] (new)

Hey now, I'm a Badger - don't be poking me :-)

message 35: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 13815 comments BunWat wrote: "Bring me a spoon! I'm going to poke Jim with a spoon!*

*Eddie Izzard reference."

And then Bun realized she was punching a gorilla.*

*Also an Eddie Izzard reference.

message 36: by [deleted user] (new)

Does that make me a Badgerilla?

message 37: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 13815 comments You must choose.
[image error]

message 38: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 13815 comments Barb wrote: "I think of the Crocodile Hunter ... lol"

Maybe Steve Irwin is out there somewhere hunting the elusive badgerilla named Jim.

message 39: by [deleted user] (new)

Bun, you do realize that you grabbed a fork instead of a spoon right?

That was an honest mistake right?

message 40: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 13815 comments

Yes???

Oh. Wait. Sorry. Misheard you.

message 41: by Dr. Detroit (new)

Dr. Detroit | 6030 comments Sarah Pi wrote: "Clark, I think Bun said it really well when she said that you "conflate your personal tastes and opinions with universal standards of quality or competence."

You do have a way with words, and I en..."

Points taken, Sarah Pi. What you're saying then is that real women play on "10"?

So if my next shebang was comprised entirely of women and entitled "No Y Chromosome," that might be pushing it, eh?

message 42: by Sarah (last edited Jun 04, 2010 12:43PM) (new)

Sarah | 13815 comments Clark wrote: "Sarah Pi wrote: "Points taken, Sarah Pi. What you're saying then is that real women play on "10"? "

Real women play on eleven or on a Gibson Hummingbird or on a ukulele saying "I am the hottest motherfucker in this room." Whichever it is, they've taken the time to learn their instrument and play it well and to write songs and to storm the stage in whatever manner they choose.

I'm happy to be dismissive of unmusical twelve octave warbling and listless strumming just as I'm dismissive of frat boys strumming lousy surf music, since they don't hold up their end of the bargain.

message 43: by RandomAnthony (last edited Jun 04, 2010 01:53PM) (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments I think Gus owes us for starting this conversation because he came out looking all sensitive.

:)

message 44: by Gus (new)

Gus Sanchez (gussanchez) I don't owe you shit, Mr. Shafer. In fact, you should be thanking me for taking what seemed initially to be a rather mundane thread and turning it into Grudge Match of the Week.

I am eagerly anticipating your acknowledgment, good sir.

message 45: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments Gus wrote: "I don't owe you shit, Mr. Shafer. In fact, you should be thanking me for taking what seemed initially to be a rather mundane thread and turning it into Grudge Match of the Week.

I am eagerly antic..."

Heh. You have a point...we're even!

message 46: by Gus (new)

Gus Sanchez (gussanchez) Sweet! Even Stevens!

message 47: by Phil (new)

Phil | 11669 comments Does that mean RA was right?

message 48: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments *hugs Phil*

message 49: by Bonnie (new)

Bonnie Yikes..can't we all just hold hands and sing Kumbaya :)

message 50: by ms.petra (new)

ms.petra (mspetra) wow! you guys are way too serious! opinions are like assholes, everyone has one. Who cares! Some of the Lilith artists rock and some suck.. get over yourselves!

« previous 1 3