You Debate, We De Sharks discussion

Today's Issues > Homeschooling.

Comments Showing 1-42 of 42 (42 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Regan (new)

Regan Fairley (reganf) | 26 comments What do you think about it?

message 2: by Liv (new)

Liv (osf1998) | 4 comments I totally believe in it...it's a way of education, without the drama of public school. Homeschooler's needs can be tailored to them, and it doesn't consume the entire day if it doesn't need to, but lessons can be repeated if they aren't comprehended. There are no set study times, (For me at least) which allows the creative juices to flow. I'm really good at math and come up with new patterns all the time.

I am given textbooks, books, movies and learning objects and told what to do with them on a daily basis, but the beauty of it is that I need to use my responsibility tools to decided when to do the stuff and how much of it. I can set goals on when to start other subjects, and the social atmosphere is still as productive.

message 3: by Regan (new)

Regan Fairley (reganf) | 26 comments Of course you do olivia. *Rolls eyes*

message 4: by Diana (new)

Diana The nice thing about homeschooling is that you can go at your own pace.

message 5: by Regan (new)

Regan Fairley (reganf) | 26 comments yeah

message 6: by Diana (new)

Diana I've been homeschooled for six years too!

message 7: by [deleted user] (new)

I'm not homeschooled, but it sounds really cool. My sister would like to homeschool her son but she dosen't have the time.

message 8: by Lindsay (new)

Lindsay My friend is home schooled. She's tried public school a few times, but she has CF (Cystic Fibrosis) and as such is more prone to get sick since she has a weaker immune system.So she always got sick. That is a perfectly fine reason to stay home and do home school. Other reasons could be that you want to get more time to focus on hobbies like music and crafty stuff you don't get to do so much at school. You also don't have to face the stupid kids and the stupid things they do.

Home school also has downsides, though. You don't get to meet as many people and you don't get to see your friends as often. I also know of many people who were home schooled until high school and they went to college, and when they went to college they weren't used to people always telling them to do stupid stuff so they quickly fell into peer pressure and got themselves into really bad situations.

So I can see the good and bad about it. I don't have strong opinions on home school one way or the other. It's the person's decision. However, there are many things to consider. For my friend, home school is the only option, but for others, you may want to make a pros and cons list or something before doing home schooled.

Rachel (aka. Kaiserin Sisi) (looney-lovegood) | 963 comments Lindsay wrote: "My friend is home schooled. She's tried public school a few times, but she has CF (Cystic Fibrosis) and as such is more prone to get sick since she has a weaker immune system.So she always got sick..."

Ha ha, my thoughts exactly! :D

message 10: by Lynx ~ 10/1 Never Forgotten (last edited Jun 03, 2010 10:01AM) (new)

Lynx ~ 10/1 Never Forgotten I'm homeschooled. Have been since 5th grade. It's a good way to get your education. One of the good things about homeschooling, is if you know what you want for your job, you can focus your education for that thing. Also, you can choose your curriculum and go at your own pace. Plus, if there are some things you want to do at the closest school, you can still do them.
But, yeah... the bad thing about homeschooling is you don't really meet anyone... and if you move a lot it gets rather lonely...

message 11: by Lindsay (new)

Lindsay Rachel (aka. Kaiserin Sisi) wrote: "Lindsay wrote: "My friend is home schooled. She's tried public school a few times, but she has CF (Cystic Fibrosis) and as such is more prone to get sick since she has a weaker immune system.So she..."

Haha, awesome! :D

message 12: by Amanda (new)

Amanda Pea (amandapanda808) | 90 comments Well i dont disagree with it but i wouldn't want to be homeschooled because i like having teachers and the other reson is that my mom is a therepist and i had a friend that her mom woked with my mom and she was waay over protective and thats how my mom is

message 13: by Daisy (new)

Daisy I think there are advantages and disadvantages to homeschooling. For a lot of people homeschooling is the right choice for them. I'm anti-social but I get most of my social skills from going to a public school (actually next year it will be a private school).

One the subject of different types of schooling what do you think of:

Public school

Private school

Charter school

and homeschooling?

message 14: by Amanda (new)

Amanda Pea (amandapanda808) | 90 comments I'm going to another charter schools and its good because its small but i want to go to a boarding school

message 15: by Daisy (new)

Daisy It sounds fun, Boarding school. But expensive and I'd miss my mom.

message 16: by [deleted user] (new)

my cousins go to a boarding school

message 17: by Amanda (new)

Amanda Pea (amandapanda808) | 90 comments Its expensive but it would be cool to be away from family problems thet might come our way

message 18: by Selena (new)

Selena (masterjedilena) Lindsay wrote: "Home school also has downsides, though. You don't get to meet as many people and you don't get to see your friends as often."

This is not always true. I have been homeschooled for the past 9 years. Where I live, there is a large community of homeschoolers that offer just as much social opportunity as does public school. There are field trips and classes that some parents organize for the group. There is a Youth Group with a professional Student Council to set up socials, PE activities, ministry opportunities, etc. We have a yearbook, a school newspaper, and plenty of other ways to "meet people and see your friends often". We even have a full-out graduation ceremony and year-round activities for the Senior class.

message 19: by [deleted user] (new)

Lena, that sounds really cool, and you're really lucky to be exposed to that, but the thing is, some, if not most, people are not able to do such things or are brought up in an environment where they are the only children being homeschooled. If such privelages are not available, how would we go about the situation?

message 20: by Randi (new)

Randi (The Artist Formerly known as Guitar Chick) (guitarchick) | 106 comments I've only recently done homeschooling because there was a shooting at a local middle school here. And I do it with an umbrella school that provides, library, spelling bee support (I'm fifth in the state at the moment) and band classes. I think it's a great way to school, but I miss public schoola lot.

message 21: by Regan (new)

Regan Fairley (reganf) | 26 comments I love being homeschooled!

message 22: by Amanda (new)

Amanda Pea (amandapanda808) | 90 comments thatss so cool but the thing is that for me i need like a ditraaction from being home all the time since i jst moved from hawaii to california so i want to meet someone new

message 23: by Clarence :P (new)

Clarence :P I know that many of you are homeschooled, and I hope that this will offend no one.
I think that homeschooling has it's perks, such as working at your own pace, most homeschooled kids have a higher education, etc. etc.
But,
all the homeschooled kids I have eer encountered are either kind of unsocial or extremely unsocial and awkward. They do not really no how to interact with other kids, they don't know what's popular really, they don't know what's "cool" and will get you accepted into a group of friends, and a lot of them just don't really know how to act, and when they here a bad word, or somebodies talkign about something that they "shouldn't be talking about" the homeschooled kids get freaked out.
In life, you're going to have a job where you work with other people, and you need to be able to interact with them. I think that a lot of the kids I know who are homeschooled, will not understand that or know how to do that.

But I also think that you can make homeschooling work, if the student does extra-curricular activities, have them get out and hang out with other kids almost every day, and let them watch TV and have experiences that public school kids get, then it will be much better.

That is my thought process written down, but I can make it sound better actually talking.

message 24: by Lynx ~ 10/1 Never Forgotten (last edited Jun 06, 2010 04:14AM) (new)

Lynx ~ 10/1 Never Forgotten Clare Bear wrote: "I know that many of you are homeschooled, and I hope that this will offend no one.
I think that homeschooling has it's perks, such as working at your own pace, most homeschooled kids have a highe..."

Yeah. I get it. Here's my responses:

they don't know what's popular really, they don't know what's "cool" and will get you accepted into a group of friends
Okay. Fine. I don't know what is considered "cool" nowadays. But I don't really care what is "cool", because I have larger goals in life then knowing what is "cool". Plus, you shouldn't have to know what is considered "cool" to find friends.

They do not really no how to interact with other kids
Hm... Well I sorta know how to interact with people. I mean, I have a social cue issue, and am a loner, but I still now how to interact with people.
Now, a lot of homeschoolers do go to public school at some point in their life, and most homeschoolers go to after-school activities, do sports, and do watch TV. So they DO know how to get accepted into a group of people fairly well and how to interact.

and when they here a bad word, or somebodies talkign about something that they "shouldn't be talking about" the homeschooled kids get freaked out.
Okay, I will admit that I sorta freak out when I hear people swear. But that BUGS ME TO NO END. Lol, also, some homeschoolers do swear. And you have to remember, homeschoolers are not completely isolated from the world. We do watch TV and get exposed to all the bad language and inappropriate conversations.

So... yeah, I know a TON of homeschoolers, and none of them really have any of those problems. At all.

message 25: by ♥Jenny♥, Those who give happiness, deserve happiness. (new)

♥Jenny♥ | 138 comments Mod
I think that homeschooling is only okay to do in moderation. By that I mean that parents should have their children be exposed to public school at some point of their lives so their children can develop the social skills that they need. But it's fine.

message 26: by ƙămįƞāŕı«, If you can't see the bright side of life, polish the dull side. (last edited Jun 06, 2010 08:18AM) (new)

ƙămįƞāŕı« (hellokaty) | 295 comments Mod
I agree with Jenny. My friend from school she got like expelled from public school and had to be "home-schooled". That meant chilling 24/7. If parents decide to homeschool their kids then they should make sure that they're actually being educated instead of wasting their time.

message 27: by [deleted user] (new)

i agree that some homeschoolers ihave met are not as confertable in the presence of other kinds, but almost all my friends are homeschool and very few have that problem. i know what's cool(though i dont really care) i watch tv get magazines ect, and beleive me homescooler's can do swear(i dont like swearing but i dont care if others do) one main reason for homschooling could be that you(or yor parents) dont like the school district your in.

Rachel (aka. Kaiserin Sisi) (looney-lovegood) | 963 comments I've gone to normal school all my life, and I still have social problems. XD

I never really had the option of homeschooling. My mom hasn't been in school since the sixties, and doesn't remember much, and my dad was gone all day for work, so I wouldn't have anyone to help me if I didn't understand something.

Lynx ~ 10/1 Never Forgotten ♥Jenny♥ wrote: "I think that homeschooling is only okay to do in moderation. By that I mean that parents should have their children be exposed to public school at some point of their lives so their children can de..."

Yes, and most kids DO go to school for something or other. Even without going to public school for something, you still get out and meet people. We are NOT isolated from the world. We still have social skills. Homeschoolers still go out and talk to people, wheather it be church, friends/family, dance classes or something... we still meet people and get social skills. We aren't locked up in the house 24/7. Just because some homeschoolers do not have social skills, that does not mean we all do.

message 30: by ƙămįƞāŕı«, If you can't see the bright side of life, polish the dull side. (new)

I don't see home-schoolers as isolated people. I mean school is not the only place where you meet people. But what I like about public school is that you get to see how other people learn. Yeah you have people who go to school just to mess around but they help you learn ways how to deal with those people who will get in the way and try to stop you from getting your education. I really never had an option of being home-schooled at all.

message 31: by ♥Jenny♥, Those who give happiness, deserve happiness. (new)

ʞɔɐɾdɐןɟ!™ wrote: "But what I like about public school is that you get to see how other people learn... "

How does that benefit you?

ʞɔɐɾdɐןɟ!™ wrote: "I really never had an option of being home-schooled at all. "

Yeah, me neither, but I've always wanted to be home schooled.

Yeah you have people who go to school just to mess around but they help you learn ways how to deal with those people who will get in the way and try to stop you from getting your education.

Doesn't that also tie in with social skills? The best way to deal with that is to ignore them. And if you can't, confront them and tell them that they need to stop.

message 32: by ♥Jenny♥, Those who give happiness, deserve happiness. (new)

Lynx wrote: "♥Jenny♥ wrote: "I think that homeschooling is only okay to do in moderation. By that I mean that parents should have their children be exposed to public school at some point of their lives so their..."

Well, we assume that social skills wont be developed because going to school and interacting with your peers is one of the main ways that kids (under 18 years old) learn how to develop social skills that are needed in this society. So, that's just how we're thinking.

message 33: by ƙămįƞāŕı«, If you can't see the bright side of life, polish the dull side. (new)

What you mean how does that benefit me? If I'm somewhere where people learn in different ways, instead of only having one strategy I'll have more than 1. Just like my math teacher said last year.

message 34: by ♥Jenny♥, Those who give happiness, deserve happiness. (new)

ʞɔɐɾdɐןɟ!™ wrote: "What you mean how does that benefit me? If I'm somewhere where people learn in different ways, instead of only having one strategy I'll have more than 1. Just like my math teacher said last year."

Oh, okay. I was thinking that you just enjoyed watching how people did things. "Watching how people learn" isn't the appropriate way to phrase that, because you confused me. Maybe...getting different ideas on how to work out something from your classmates.

Lynx ~ 10/1 Never Forgotten Mmm... yeah, I went to public school till fourth grade. So I still had plenty of friends. Until we moved to a different state, where we lived in a town and had friends from church. Then we moved again, to a farm, and it got lonely...

message 36: by [deleted user] (new)

i have tons of friends and i meet new ones all the time in homescooling.

Lynx ~ 10/1 Never Forgotten Yeah, well when you live in the midle of nowhere on a farm, it's kinda hard to make friends. And still, after moving agian, this time to a small town, I find it hard to make friends, cause I know nobody around that is my age. I can't even hang out with friends from church, cause we drive 45 min. to get to church. Then when I did drama at the HS nobody talked about anything interesting, or were preoccupied with other stuff, or lived out of town, so I couldn't make friends with them either.

message 38: by [deleted user] (new)

yeah that is a bad side of homeschooling in a rural sort of area,heres nobody to hang out with. t

message 39: by Aoibheann (new)

Aoibheann | 109 comments I used to be homeschooled, when I had a hard time of fitting in at school after I moved to Korea (I'm half Korean and half Irish). But then I felt like a Gardenia (kind of flower) in a greenhouse. In other words, stuck in a house of glass where you can only see the outside world. So I went to school. I had a very hard time, but I felt better. More independent. Sometimes things like that can make you stronger.

message 40: by Claere (new)

Claere (omenonwings) | 329 comments restless, always struggling, trying the hardest things... it's soooooooo Aoibheann. i've been homeschooled since i was in 3rd grade. i like it. but now i feel restless. for high school, i'm off to see the real world. :) i've always had a hard time with math and now that i do it alone, even though i have a tutor, it's hard. i'm one year behind on my math already. i don't need to fall behind anymore than that.

message 41: by Girl4beluga (new)

Girl4beluga | 3193 comments I'm home schooled and i love how.................flexible it is...

message 42: by Claere (new)

Claere (omenonwings) | 329 comments it's definatly flexible, but i don't like how i sometimes have sooooooooo much leftover time and sometimes have soooooooo much that i have problems. i definatly prefer to be stressing over essays and problems all the time. i know it's weird, but i like being busy. i've been homeschooled for a long time, so i think it's time to leave the shelter.