Graywolf Press discussion

GW Author News > NPR asks booksellers for their "15 Soaring Summer Reads": Who made the cut?

Comments (showing 1-13 of 13) (13 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Marisa, Moderator (new)

Marisa Atkinson (totesmarisa) | 244 comments Mod
NPR asked top indie booksellers for their "15 Soaring Summer Reads," and Ander Monson's Vanishing Point: Not a Memoir makes the cut!

Are you currently reading or do you have plans to read any of the other books on these lists? Do you see any of your favorite booksellers listed?

message 2: by Lori (new)

Lori (TNBBC) Congrats on making the cut. All of those books look so great. I hadn't heard of many of them (Am I living under some sort of literary rock?).

message 3: by Patrick (new)

Patrick Brown | 21 comments It's funny, I know two of the booksellers in this piece (one of whom is a very old friend of mine). Weird how small the book world is. I'm still in the midst of Vanishing Point (though I've been derailed by my book club's choice of The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo) and I'm hoping to eventually get to Big Machine, which my wife read and liked a lot. Some day, when I have the time.

message 4: by Amy (new)

Amy (blacksheepdances) | 34 comments Great list!
I have Anthology of an American Girl in the TBR pile but I'm somehow avoiding it. ???? Congratulations on Vanishing Point, that's great for the wolves!

message 5: by Marisa, Moderator (new)

Amy wrote: "Great list!
I have Anthology of an American Girl in the TBR pile but I'm somehow avoiding it. ???? Congratulations on Vanishing Point, that's great for the wolves!"

Hi Amy,

I'm reading Anthropology of an American Girl right now, too! I'm about 100 pages in. It's definitely the kind of book you really have to invest in, I'm finding. I have to put it down for a few days and cleanse the book palate with something a little fluffier before picking it up again, I think. But it is beautifully written, I think.

message 6: by Amy (new)

Amy (blacksheepdances) | 34 comments Good to know, thanks! I like to have books on rotation for that purpose, LOL. Palate cleanser, LOL.

Amy

message 7: by Jill (new)

Jill | 10 comments I thought Anthropology was inconsistent; some really soaring prose and a lot of "fluff" that a good editor could have worked on. Interestingly, this is the second version out there. Her first version was self-published and there is a MAJOR difference between the two versions.

message 8: by Marisa, Moderator (new)

Jill, did you read both versions of Anthropology? If so, what were the greatest differences you saw between the two?

message 9: by Jill (new)

Jill | 10 comments Marisa, I read the latest version and only the first 25 pages of the old version. It was like day and night! The old version was what created the "buzz"; it was self-published. It was raw, detailed, exuberant. Think of the difference between a frisky lab puppy and a more trained two-year-old lab!

message 10: by Marisa, Moderator (new)

Hmm. I'm reading the latest version now and am sort of struggling with it. It's certainly beautifully written, but I'm having trouble really getting into it. It seems sort of aimless at this point, but I've read reviews that say that the first 300 pages or so are a bit slow. I'm waiting for it to live up to the hype...

message 11: by Jill (new)

Jill | 10 comments The book DOES need some heavy editing. I'd perk up for awhile, and then skim for awhile. Don't feel badly if you are out of sync with the "pros." I thought it was an ambitious effort, but not necessarily a rewarding one.

message 12: by Jill (new)

Jill | 10 comments I've just started Allegra Goodman's Collector Cookbook -- due out in July. Plus I'm also reading Sebastian Faulks' One Week In December, which I LOVE.

message 13: by Amy (new)

Amy (blacksheepdances) | 34 comments Jill, good to know about the Faulks book. I've been putting it off...
I'm completing In the Train, which is very funny and I'll be done early. Then I'm probably going to start Mrs. Darcy and the Blue Eyed Stranger...just the sound of it makes me wish I was Mrs. Darcy! LOL

Anyone going to the beach/lake?

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Vanishing Point: Not a Memoir (other topics)
The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo (other topics)
Big Machine (other topics)
Anthropology of an American Girl (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

Ander Monson (other topics)