College Students! discussion

Past Discussions of Group Reads > Breakfast At Tiffany's-For those who have finished

Comments Showing 1-13 of 13 (13 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jamie (The Perpetual Page-Turner), The Founding Bookworm (new)

Jamie (The Perpetual Page-Turner) (perpetualpageturner) | 4407 comments Mod
Please use this thread to talk about the book as a whole after you have finished.

Some general starting questions:

Did you like or dislike the book? Did you like the ending? Favorite characters? Favorite quotes? Did you like the author's style? Were you confused by anything in the book? etc.

Feel free to post any discussion questions that are more specific to the book once you have finished. The moderators and discussion leader will try and facilitate the discussion but since everybody's reading schedule/life schedule are different, they may not be able to do so at the beginning of the month. So, any discussion questions are welcome! :)

message 2: by Lori (new)

Lori Walker I read this story over Christmas break. I have to say, I like the movie much better. The Holly in the story seems brazen to the point of tackiness, but Audrey Hepburn's Holly seems just bold enough. Anyone agree or disagree?

What about the ending of the story versus the ending of the movie? Honestly, I think the ending of each fits the personality of the Holly created (but I could also see Audrey's Holly going to Africa too).

message 3: by Jessie (new)

Jessie (Jessie08) | 128 comments I finished this book today and I liked it, I wouldn't say I loved it, but it was interesting and hard to put down. I really liked the way the book started with the ending and moved from there. I also found myself sort of captivated whenever Holly was speaking.

I'm a bit embarrassed to say, but I've never seen the film. I've always wanted to read the book first (it took it being a group read for me to finally do it). So I'm excited to watch the film now because I've heard it is very different from the book; I would imagine so because I cannot picture Audrey Hephurn saying some of the things Holly in the book says. But a friend of mine told me that the film is on sale at Walmart for $5, so I plan on buying it and watching it soon!

message 4: by R (new)

R (feste) I haven't seen the film either! But I too was surprised by the book version of Holly because of how much she deviates from the image of Audrey Hepburn's Holly I had in my head. I guess that shows what a significant part of pop culture the film is... you don't have to have watched it in its entirety to have acquired a vague impression of it. Haha. That said, like Jessie, I plan on tracking it down and watching it sometime soon.

Back to the book... Well, I have mixed feelings about this Holly. I think it's partially because she somehow reminds me of someone I know. She's frustrating and self-absorbed, yet sympathetic and slightly depressing because it seems that there's an underlying cause for her flippant behaviour.

message 5: by Alexandria (new)

Alexandria | 8 comments Lori, I completely agree. I read this book a year or so ago and it didn't hold up at all to my expectations - especially since breakfast at tiffanys is my favorite movie. I thought that audrey's character had a little more spunk, to put it that way.

message 6: by Erin (new)

Erin K (emkclass08) | 1 comments I read this book, and gave a presentation on it, my senior year of high school, and thought it was a great read. Now re-reading it as a junior in college, I see it has not lost any of its fascination.

As a very free-spirited character, Holly Golightly makes the story what it is, a true American classic. I also loved the film version of this novel, but the story was lost somewhere amid the chemistry between Audrey Hepburn and George Peppard.

Most of the narrator's anomosity was lost in the film. One of the best parts of this novel is the theme of stability vs. freedom. These two sides of the theme are represented with the symbols of animals and Tiffany's. While Holly's nameless cat represents her need for stability, it is trumped many times by her overwhelming desire for freedom, except when she is at Tiffany's where she feels most at "home".

While In Cold Blood remains my favorite Truman Capote novel, Breakfast at Tiffany's was a very close second.

message 7: by Lori (new)

Lori Walker Alexandria, To me, Capote's Holly was kind of over the top with her outrageousness to the point where she bordered on vulgar. The film's version was more likeable and believable to me.

message 8: by Jessie (new)

Jessie (Jessie08) | 128 comments Erin, I plan on reading In Cold Blood soon. While Breakfast at Tiffany's didn't blow me away, I liked Capote's writing style and I've heard that's his best work.

message 9: by Lori (new)

Lori Walker I read most of In Cold Blood for a class. It's really good. Maybe it will be a group read sometime soon.

message 10: by Laura (new)

Laura (thatlibrarianlady) I just finished and I really liked it. I will say that I find Holly a little sad. Throughout the book I felt just like the narrator, trying to figure her out. I just wanted to open up her brain and see what was really going on in there. The incident with the cat at the end kind of broke my heart though. She just seems like a sad character to me. Again, like the narrator, I'd like to think she found some place she belongs.

I haven't seen the movie yet, but I'll be watching it very soon.

I do like Capote's writing. I think I'll read Other Voices, Other Rooms before I try In Cold Blood. Other Voices... was recommended to me by a friend and it sounds interesting.

message 11: by Jane (new)

Jane (JaneLitChic) | 14 comments I read this a few months ago and loved it!

The contrast between the Holly in the book and the film version is interesting - the book version of Holly is brazen in comparison to how she is portrayed in the film. She seems so innocent in the film (she sleeps in a single bed).

Does anyone else have an opinion on whether Holly is really a call girl or whether she is merely unconventional for that time?

I adore the book version of Holly, but to me Holly seems to be portrayed in some parts as a sterotypical gay man crossed with a lost little girl...

message 12: by sara frances (new)

sara frances (sara_frances) I just started Fifth Avenue, 5 A.M.: Audrey Hepburn, Breakfast at Tiffany's, and The Dawn of the Modern Woman and it seems to be really promising so far. Might be worth checking out!

message 13: by Lori (new)

Lori Walker That's so funny because I bought it on my nook the other day after reading about it in USA Today. I can't wait to read it!