Outlander Series discussion

News > New here? Introduce Yourself.

Comments Showing 1-50 of 1,822 (1822 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 36 37

message 1: by Meaghan (new)

Meaghan (booklove83) I'm new to Goodreads, and of course the first group I had to check out was Outlander! I am a voracious reader and these are some of my favorite books of all time. I can't wait to discuss them with you all! You seem like a great group of readers.
TTYS!!!!

message 2: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (sarah23l) Welcome Meaghan! I just joined this group too and everyone's been so nice and fun to chat with! Look forward to chatting with you :)

message 3: by Sally (new)

Sally (larwos) | 30 comments I find 99% of people who read this series become completely entranced with it. The ones who dont, dont deserve to talk to us anyway, do they?
You'll find plenty of discussion here.

Have you read the whole series Meaghan?

message 4: by Meaghan (new)

Meaghan (booklove83) Yes, I've read the whole series and I'm on my second time around. I'me midway through Echo. I've found so much that I missed the first time!

I think Voyager is my favorite, with A Breath of Snow and Ashes a very close second. Drums of Autumn is right up there as well. Forget it.... I love them all :-)

message 5: by Sally (new)

Sally (larwos) | 30 comments I know what you mean. I know a lot of people didn't like Fiery Cross, but I still enjoyed it as it continued the story. I have all the books except Dragonfly as an audiobook as well as all the books in the series. Cant cope with Dragonfly more than once. All the rest have been reread and listened to over and over.
Two of my three daughters read the whole series every year and when a new book comes out I order it and buy one for all three of us on the day the books arrive in the shops.

message 6: by Jacki Mohap (new)

Jacki Mohap (shereadinthesheshed) | 56 comments I'm also new to the group and very excited to have some other Outlander readers to talk about the books with! I have to admit that I have only read each book only once (I seem to have a problem with a growing stack of books to read that constantly distracts me!) but I saw that Echo in the Bone is coming out in paperback in a few days and I want to catch up so I can read it as soon as I get it.
I found this group last night and was so excited that I decided to order trade paperback copies of the whole series (most of them I had mass market paperbacks), plus The Outlandish Companion! Why not treat myself, right? :)

message 7: by Dolly (new)

Dolly Sullivan (Dollymama1) | 103 comments Hi Jacki! I joined the group not to long ago and love first thing in the morning with my coffee in hand, checking the group to see all the new posts. Alot of the group are from different time zones than me so they are on at night and I don't get to read them till morn. I love the research questions the most! The ones that really make you think, dig out all the books and not stop till you have the answer.
Welcome!

message 8: by Jacki Mohap (new)

Jacki Mohap (shereadinthesheshed) | 56 comments Dorothy wrote: "Hi Jacki! I joined the group not to long ago and love first thing in the morning with my coffee in hand, checking the group to see all the new posts. Alot of the group are from different time zon..."

Thanks Dorothy! That sounds like a great morning routine, and something I'll definitely be doing myself. I've been on this website much more than I needed to today! I've always wanted to join a "book club" but can never get people together to meet in person. I have a feeling this will be better! :)

message 9: by Lil (new)

Lil | 1 comments I can't believe I found a group specific to the Outlander series! I'm up to Voyager and I'm completely obsessed (not to mention, in love with Jamie). It's good to know there are aother people like me.

message 10: by Heather (new)

Heather Bailey | 132 comments I have a friend that just finished Outlander on my recommendation. She did not like it!! She said Jamie does not hold a candle to Edward (Twilight) and that she doesn't like that within the first two weeks of being married to Claire, Jamie rapes her twice and beats her!!! I tried to explain the whole time period, Jamie's personality, etc...but said that she would probably not like the rest of the series if she didnt like Outlander...I think it was the best in the series so far. I can't force somebody to like something though...but can you believe that??!! I have never heard of somebody that does not like Outlander...it is still my fave, and NOBODY can hold a candle to James Malcolm Alexander Mackenzie Fraser!!!

message 11: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 1124 comments i know that there are a lot of people who have issues with the spanking scene, if you read any of the one star reviews on amazon that is about 90% of them...they call it domestic abuse...which is really isn't...but people have a hard time separating their 21st century ideals with the reality of a book set in the 18th century...but I also don't get the appeal of Edward in Twilight...I made it through 3 chapters before I wanted to throw the book at the wall...the movies were ok (Jacob is probably the only reason I watched)...but to each their own

message 12: by Dolly (new)

Dolly Sullivan (Dollymama1) | 103 comments Oh wow. I read the Twilight series and liked it alot. But if I had to chose between a dead vampire and Jamie Fraser um, no contest. Jamie has for me no other fictitous hunk has so far, Edward, Alexander, ect. and that is a sense of humor! Ok, they are all good looking, valiant, loyal, and everything else, but Jamie makes me laugh! And he wears a Kilt! Jamie's the Man, hands down.
I am not at all for any abuse, but I think DG got the point across that it was the way Jamie was brought up. He didn't do it just to inflict pain. He was doing it to teach a lesson. Apparently that was the way he learned alot of his lessons. He felt he had to. If a good part of the clan wasn't there, I don't think he would have.
For me the biggest appeal with Edward was the Peter Pan syndrome, never growing old. All the money you would ever need, the strength, and intelligence. But all that does not hold a candle to Jamie!

message 13: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 1124 comments have you tried Karen Marie Mornings highlander series, if you need a fix...I just got done listening to the first one and it was hilarious in places...has some time travel as well...but one part where the heroine is spying on the hero and he jumps on the horse and his kilt "accidently" flips up and she sees all of him...too funny!

message 14: by Dolly (new)

Dolly Sullivan (Dollymama1) | 103 comments I have them but haven't gotten to them yet. Have you read them or just listened to them? I'm afraid to buy audio unless they come recommended. I love listening to books on my 2 hour drive to the shore every weekend, but have come across some that aren't worth the time. Would you recommend Karen Marie Mornings series?

message 15: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 1124 comments i just listened to the first one and loved the narrator (Phil Gigante) - he does a lot of books, I think he has the sexiest voice!! I've not read them, and I picked up the audiobook when audible had a huge sale a few months back

message 16: by Dolly (new)

Dolly Sullivan (Dollymama1) | 103 comments Does he narrate with a scot accent?

message 17: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 1124 comments not really, but its really deep and sexy...if you go to audible you can do a test listen...I don't know where you get audiobooks form, but I highly recommend him

message 18: by Ladyhawk (new)

Ladyhawk | 957 comments Lil wrote: "I can't believe I found a group specific to the Outlander series! I'm up to Voyager and I'm completely obsessed (not to mention, in love with Jamie). It's good to know there are aother people like..."
Oh if you only knew!! ;0)

message 19: by Sandi *~The Pirate Wench~* (last edited Jun 12, 2010 07:46AM) (new)

Sandi *~The Pirate Wench~* (thepiratewench) | 28 comments hi Im new & glad their is a outlander group!
I have all her hard covers,and the orginal paper back books.I love the first book where claire & jamie are on the inside!I have only read up to the 3 book & stopped cause I like to have a whole series to read..cause I forget if its to long in between.I do have the companion book so that helps..is the final coming? well..guess I better start again to catch up..avoid the spoilers:)

Sandi *~The Pirate Wench~* (thepiratewench) | 28 comments Ive added a dragonfly in amber photo for all!I like a wallpaper on my desktop while Im reading..anyone have any good ones?

message 21: by Bethany (new)

Bethany | 9 comments I'm new to the group and the series as well. I started the Outlander books only a few months ago. At times, I wonder how on earth I never knew these books existed? And of course I would get caught up in the series when I'm in my most important year of college, senior year. Oh well, my life is possessed by these books now and there's no going back.

message 22: by Bethany (new)

Bethany | 9 comments Sandi wrote: "Ive added a dragonfly in amber photo for all!I like a wallpaper on my desktop while Im reading..anyone have any good ones?"

Just go to goole image search and type in "Outlander Series"

message 23: by Heather (new)

Heather Bailey | 132 comments I have read all of Karen Marie Moning's books...good for a light read and guilty pleasure sex scenes...but thats about it...comparable to smut mags....you know they are silly, but you really can't put them down:)

message 24: by Angela (new)

Angela | 18 comments I remember a few years ago my mom briefly described to me the series she was reading (Outlander series). I thought it sounded like it could be interesting, but at the time I still had 2 kids at home and wasn't into reading books much. But now both my kids are in college and I've read the whole series, and if there ever was an example of "you don't know what you're missing," then this is it!! Can't believe all that time went by before I realized it! I'm anxious to start reading it all a second time, but am waiting until the kids go back to college in the fall so I can lose myself in it all over again :)

message 25: by Lotte (new)

Lotte | 330 comments Delicious Dee the book slut wrote: "i know that there are a lot of people who have issues with the spanking scene, if you read any of the one star reviews on amazon that is about 90% of them...they call it domestic abuse...which is r..."

The spanking scenes - yes s c e n e s , because there are quite a lot of them - gave me something to think about. The first one you are referring to is when Jamie "blistered Claire's bum" (all the colourful expressions they've got for beating), was conflict between 2 grown-ups, and though Claire was not able to fight Jamie, she afterwards found a solution to prevent happening a similar scene in the future. How effective this would have been with a less "honorable man" than Jamie is open for disussion, but all we know so far it worked between the two of them.

Chapter 48, Away in a Manger, in Drums was more appalling to me: here Jamie demonstrates to Brianna that she never could have fought Bonnet. I know, it is explained in detail why, but I'm still the one for talking.

Then the desciptions how the "oh so clam and gentle" Ian treated his namesake son! I know, it's the 18th century and we have to put up with child- and wife- beating, but to such extremes that poor Young Ian could "not stand let alone walk, being beaten half-senseless" - that's more than extreme!

Now we are leaving the past, ending up in Scotland of 1980: and here a teacher and a headmaster mistreat Jemmy (Echo, page 280, large paperback)? At least Roger speaks up for his son and defends him, though having had another behaviour in the past. I'm referring to what for me is the most repulsing scene in Echo, chapter 31,page 304: without any special necessity (for me) DG has Claire remember a scene, when Roger has punished Jemmy by beating him with his belt, Mummy and Granie standing in the wings, torn between laughter and crying, not quite sure what to do next. Come on, two women of the 20th century, I would be very sure what to do next!!!

I don't want to leave the feeling that I did not like this series, loved it indeed (Echo less so) despite my above mentioned objections.

message 26: by Lotte (new)

Lotte | 330 comments Sory, with all the spanking and beating I forgot something else: What about this "Jamie rapes her twice"? To me, Claire always seemed to be more than willing ...

message 27: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 1124 comments I haven't read Echo yet, so I can't comment...lol! I had it on my kindle, but for a frist reading, I need a book so I can flip back and forth and things have been insane here...

I'm trying to remember the rape scene...i know after he spanks her that they end up having sex even if she doesn't want to, but she quickly capitulates...and then in Voyager when she goes back in time and the Lagohaire scene...

message 28: by Heather (new)

Heather Bailey | 132 comments Lotte wrote: "Sory, with all the spanking and beating I forgot something else: What about this "Jamie rapes her twice"? To me, Claire always seemed to be more than willing ..."

My friend said she didnt like Outlander because Jamie practically rapes Claire twice in their firt two weeks of marriage. She is referring to the spanking scene when Jamie punishes Claire. I think it is definitely a hard scene to swallow (so to speak)...but Diana tends to do this a few times in the series...she has these scenes that I read and I am totally taken aback...like did that really just happen???!...but I know that is her style and maybe she does that to keep the reader interested and on their toes.

message 29: by Lotte (new)

Lotte | 330 comments O.K. Heather, the spanking scene is hard to swallow, but we are in the 18th century and this seems to have been the proper punishment of an errant wife (if we understand and agree or not). After this spanking, however, Jamie left the room and after returning an hour later, "wrapped himself in his plaid ... slept on the floor" - Outlander, page 395 paperback.

Their first encounter "afterwards" took place in Castle Leoch, after Claire was given her wedding ring. How this turned out to be is a matter of preferences and tastes do differ, besides of obviously liking it Claire was also twice given her choice: "to accept the ring, and all that went with it" - "will ye have me ... I canna be gentle about it" (pages 435/436). Could this be considered rape? And I'm still missing the "2nd one"!

message 30: by Heather (last edited Jun 14, 2010 06:16AM) (new)

Heather | 120 comments I have a quick comment regarding the spanking scene. I know it is hard for some to swallow but it wasn’t as hard for me and please don’t over sight the fact that later Claire and Jamie were in more conflict and she practically begs Jamie to beat her. Claire was just so torn up and wants to move on she would have taken it gladly. DG shares the Why’s and as we have the No Tolerance, she really uses those scenes to help shift our way of thinking to really pull us in the book for those time and makes us leave rational at the back door. Then and now are different. There were no material things to take and use for a form of punishment. Integrity was the ultimate thing one could offer. Being beaten was something Claire and we could not fathom BUT people offered the taken of a beating as being the only thing they could offer. When one man in the clan messed up and they stand up to be lashed, we took that as strength and honor, what’s the difference? Especially because we are talking about Claire here, the only character that does not follow the domestic mold. I guess I found it easier to justify and I never found her abused in any way by Jamie. Jamie was dealing with a rare woman. It was as much to protect her. Jamie knew he couldn’t fall short with Claire. Claire feared nothing and would have learned nothing with him not following through.

message 31: by Lady's View (new)

Lady's View (fwgal41) | 56 comments Dorothy wrote: "I have them but haven't gotten to them yet. Have you read them or just listened to them? I'm afraid to buy audio unless they come recommended. I love listening to books on my 2 hour drive to the..."

Hi Dorothy, I enjoy audiobooks, I am listening to Dragon Fly in Amber. The Highlander and Fae series aregreat from Karen Marie Moning. Phil Gigante has a wonderful voice and his scottish accents are wonderful. I highly recommend the audio books.

Also, I think there are two options for actors as jamie - Taylor Kitsch...the other is a model Alexander Skarsgard...what do you think?

message 32: by Heather (new)

Heather Bailey | 132 comments Lotte wrote: "O.K. Heather, the spanking scene is hard to swallow, but we are in the 18th century and this seems to have been the proper punishment of an errant wife (if we understand and agree or not). After th..."
Lotte,
I totally agree...actually the comment from another Heather following mine put my thoughts into words wonderfully...anyways, I brought up this whole conversation because of a comment my friend made about Outlander and why she didnt like it. I honestly don't know what second "rape" scene she is talking about because I read the book over three years ago and the specifics are a little foggy...her comment really frustrated me because I can't comprehend how her idea of the perfect man and book is Edward in Twilight, and she doesn't think Jamie can hold a candle to him! I thought she was a little close-minded in her rationalization as to why Outlander sucked. I personally believe Outlander was life changing for me, so it was a surprising blow to my ego when I found somebody that didn't like it!

message 33: by Heather (new)

Heather Bailey | 132 comments Also....I think Taylor Kitsch would be a wonderful young Jamie...still undecided on who could play an old Jamie...

AND....can anybody tell me the background on Harley Boble...the thieftaker that beat Claire in ABOSAA (pg315, paperback)?? An altercation between him, Jamie, and some German women at a gathering is mentioned, but I can't for the life of me remember this....can anybody refresh my memory???

message 34: by Lotte (new)

Lotte | 330 comments Heather wrote:
AND....can anybody tell me the background on Harley Boble...the thieftaker that..."

Heather, I was wongering and asking the same questions a you do when reading this piece in ABOSAA! I investigated, however, it is in TFC in the large section about the gathering. My marker of this scene has fallen out, inspite of this I found it: chapter 2, this occurence beginning on page 46 paperback, Harley Boble being mentioned on page 55. This is the first time the Family McGillivray (Manfred and Frau Ute) appear on the scene.

message 35: by Mary G. (last edited Jun 14, 2010 02:41PM) (new)

Mary G. (nonometoo) | 319 comments Heather wrote: "I have a quick comment regarding the spanking scene. I know it is hard for some to swallow but it wasn’t as hard for me and please don’t over sight the fact that later Claire and Jamie were in more..."
Please, remember this story is set in a different time and place than our time. It's the 18th Century and in Scotland! I think Claire is very brave and outspoken for her environment. She does protest when she doesn't agree, but, this is a male dominated time period and women of the times had few rights or privileges on her own. Jamie does his best to protect her and help her understand why he must do what he felt must be done. DG also takes great pains to help the reader understand why actions were accepted then, but, would not be today. It's part of her character development; how they deal with things. Claire dealt with her punishment one way {because she was looking at them thru 20th Century eyes} and Jamie does respect her enough to try and explain his actions. Then he explains how his father would make sure he knew the reasons for his punishment, as if he didn't already know. Also, in EITB, Jamie explains to Claire and Bree why Roger's punishment of Jem is an acceptable choice. He says something to the effect that Jem feels so badly about what had happened and wants to make it right, but knows he can't and this way he can feel like he paid for it. I can't remember the exact quote but it's something like that. The offense was committed and now this is the honorable way to pay for it.
I hope I'm not rambling too much. I know it's hard not to interject 20th-21st Century morality to these stories, but, that wouldn't be accurate. Anyway, that's my 2 cents.

message 36: by Dolly (new)

Dolly Sullivan (Dollymama1) | 103 comments I totally agree. We are reading books about the 1700's and I for one am trying to learn as much as I can about this historical period while in the process of enjoying some of the best books I have ever read. DG is writting it as it was. I wouldn't be learning anything if she sugar coated it. Even worse than domestic abuse is war. And the face to face hand to hand combat fought at Cullodon was probably the most barbaric. But it's an important part of the highland history and you can't write a good book if you are worried about offending everyone. I want everything to be as true to form as possible and DG did that very well. It was what it was and that's the way I want it given to me.

message 37: by Heather (new)

Heather Bailey | 132 comments Thank you Lotte! Found it...such a small part in FC...amazing how Diana even remembers all these characters and brings them back into the story...that Harley Boble was a nasty little man...thanks again!

message 38: by Ashley (new)

Ashley (ashley4242) | 15 comments To me, the spanking scene didn't bother me because Claire had failed to truly see that she could've killed, not only herself, but Jamie and his kin. If he hadn't punished her, in some sort, he would've lost all respect with his kin... that he can't control his wife... or that he thought her crime of putting everyone in danger was trivial enough to brush off. Plus, Jamie did tell her what would happen if she walked away. Therefore, he is just keeping his word. For all Jamie knew at this point, Claire might disregard his wishes in the future if she knew she could get away with it. It was expected in those days to be punished for disobedience... and since this was before Claire could really tell him the truth (and probably save herself from punishment), we're left with her being spanked. I also firmly believe that there is a difference in "beating" someone, and "spanking" them.
In regards to the rape scene, I think this is the scene where they are all sleeping around a campfire and had just been attacked. Jamie wants to, but Claire says "no, not in front of the others... they might hear" He basically tells her that "it won't take long..and I need you"...etc. I think that even though Jamie should've listened to her at first... if Claire truly did feel like she was being violated... she would've persisted "no"...and I think that Jamie would've stopped if Claire truly felt that way. That's just my two cents :)

message 39: by Mary G. (new)

Mary G. (nonometoo) | 319 comments Dorothy wrote: "I totally agree. We are reading books about the 1700's and I for one am trying to learn as much as I can about this historical period while in the process of enjoying some of the best books I have..."
Thank you, Dorothy. Being a history major, I'm always upset when certain groups try to change history to suit their point of view. As long as information is accurate, why not learn from it rather than change it with a tweek and continue to repeat some of the same mistakes? This series is really good about making you look at that. Claire and Jamie found out they couldn't change the events of history, but, what they could change was how they personally responded to them; either, fighting with the cause or helping in some other way. I think that's why I'm so drawn to theis series, DG writes it like it was and I admire her for that. She researches her facts and then presents them in a way that not only informs, but, is fun.

message 40: by Mary G. (new)

Mary G. (nonometoo) | 319 comments Ashley wrote: "To me, the spanking scene didn't bother me because Claire had failed to truly see that she could've killed, not only herself, but Jamie and his kin. If he hadn't punished her, in some sort, he woul..."
Ashley, very nicely done. I agree.

message 41: by Lotte (new)

Lotte | 330 comments Heather wrote: "Thank you Lotte! Found it...such a small part in FC...amazing how Diana even remembers all these characters and brings them back into the story...that Harley Boble was a nasty little man...thanks a..."

Not at all Heather! I think this is the benefit of DG writing scenes seperately and fitting them together afterwards instead of preferring a chronological form.

message 42: by Lotte (new)

Lotte | 330 comments Mary wrote: "Heather wrote: "I have a quick comment regarding the spanking scene. I know it is hard for some to swallow but it wasn’t as hard for me and please don’t over sight the fact that later Claire and Ja..."

Ashley wrote: "To me, the spanking scene didn't bother me because Claire had failed to truly see that she could've killed, not only herself, but Jamie and his kin. If he hadn't punished her, in some sort, he woul..."

I really do not want to make an issue of this matter! Just this one reply though: I did differentiate between Claire being beaten and Jemmy experiencing the same, didn't I? And Claire, Brianna and Roger, all 3 of them definitely are from the 20th century.

To add something to this learning: Please tell a European none-native speaker what you mean with "my two cents". Thanks in advance!

message 43: by Mary G. (last edited Jun 15, 2010 08:50AM) (new)

Mary G. (nonometoo) | 319 comments Lotte wrote: "Mary wrote: "Heather wrote: "I have a quick comment regarding the spanking scene. I know it is hard for some to swallow but it wasn’t as hard for me and please don’t over sight the fact that later ..."

It means "Just my humble opinion, not worth 2 cents". Sorry, I'm not trying to make an issue, just putting forth another view.

message 44: by Ashley (new)

Ashley (ashley4242) | 15 comments Mary wrote: "Lotte wrote: "Mary wrote: "Heather wrote: "I have a quick comment regarding the spanking scene. I know it is hard for some to swallow but it wasn’t as hard for me and please don’t over sight the fa..."

Yeah... I added that expression at the end because I know how controversial this topic is, and I don't want to step on any toes :)

Also, I wasn't speaking to anyone personally. I was speaking to anyone in general who becomes "turned off" from Outlander because they feel that it promotes a flippant attitude towards wife-beating or subservient roles of woman. Which I don't think is the case at all.

message 45: by Sherdnerd (new)

Sherdnerd | 7 comments Ashley wrote: "To me, the spanking scene didn't bother me because Claire had failed to truly see that she could've killed, not only herself, but Jamie and his kin. If he hadn't punished her, in some sort, he woul..."

My thoughts exactly, Ashley. I saw the spanking as Jamie's respone to Claire disobeying him and putting his clansmen in danger. It was his responsibility to do what his clansmen pretty much wanted to do themselves. And the next morning when Claire came down for breakfast, the clansmen treated her differently - snickering, patting her behind, etc. Claire admitted that Jaimie was right - that the spanking was "justified" (if anything as such can be justified...) - to smooth over the tensions that were brewing.

And Jaimie did promise to never hit her again.

This is historicial fiction and we must take a historic perspective when reading - even when reading disturbing scenes.

message 46: by Mary G. (new)

Mary G. (nonometoo) | 319 comments Sherdnerd wrote: "Ashley wrote: "To me, the spanking scene didn't bother me because Claire had failed to truly see that she could've killed, not only herself, but Jamie and his kin. If he hadn't punished her, in som..."

You were able to express what I was trying to get across in much fewer words. Good job!

message 47: by Samantha (last edited Jun 17, 2010 08:17AM) (new)

Samantha | 141 comments I'm new, too. I should have jumped in here earlier and introduced myself :)
I am a huge fan of these books.. I love them all, except Echo which I felt was just not up to par with the rest. It seems to me like people either really like it, or really don't.

As far as the beating scene, I agree with Ashley. It was the time period and she flat out did not understand the danger that she put them all in. I felt Jamie explained himself extremely well...

Anyways, Hello everyone!

MTA: I cannot believe anyone would not like Outlander. I think that it is a little slow in the first two chapters, before she goes back in time, but the books are unbelievably good. I have a friend who couldn't get past the first chapter but nobody I know who has read them has disliked them.

message 48: by Heather (new)

Heather Bailey | 132 comments Samantha wrote: "I'm new, too. I should have jumped in here earlier and introduced myself :)
I am a huge fan of these books.. I love them all, except Echo which I felt was just not up to par with the rest. It seem..."

Samantha...I know! Can you believe people give up after the first chapter?! They must be really hard to please if they judge the whole novel by the first few pages. I don't understand how somebody could not like these books. I am halfway through ABOSAA...and I LOVE it...I think it is a very close second to Outlander for me. Without giving anything away...what don't you like about Echo?? I hear it leaves you with a ton of cliffhangers:(

message 49: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 1124 comments but people do - there is a review on GR about Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society that is 1 star and the reviewer admits that she only read about 15 pages before callign it quits...

message 50: by Samantha (new)

Samantha | 141 comments Heather- The cliffhangers in Echo are just ridiculous- especially since we have a long wait till the next book! You know how DG has been switching around POV? I really really enjoy reading from Jamie's POV as well as Ian. Brianna and Roger get a little old for me, but I still appreciate their story. Regardless, there has still been MOST of the story told by either Jamie or Claire- as it should be. In Echo, there are more POVs and they are more equal in parts, if that makes sense. Instead of having mostly J & C, the stories are equally spread out, which is frustrating. I actually got bored a couple of times, and that NEVER happens to me.

I really liked ABOSAA, as well. I was just let down by Echo.

As far as the people who bail after only reading a handful of pages- I will say that my friend who gave the first one to me told me that the beginning is slow. I had decided that I at least wanted to see what happened when she went back in time, since I don't typically read books with time travel, etc. in them. I didn't really know what I was reading, to be honest, since I didn't read the back of the book.

This is totally off topic, but when we refer to An Echo in the Bone as "Echo" it makes me giggle, because my horse's name is actually Echo. I'm thinking about showing him as "An Echo in the Bone" although I haven't decided yet. :)

« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 36 37