Everything Paranormal discussion

Book Club > June*BCR* Urban Shaman by C.E. Murphy

Comments Showing 1-24 of 24 (24 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jael ~ *~ Syhren ~* ~, The Restorer (new)

Jael ~ *~ Syhren ~* ~ (wwwgoodreadscomprofilejael) | 1227 comments Mod
This is where you can discuss this months book as you read or have finished.

FYI Just a reminder of the rules. Everyone who has signed up for the book club needs to participate even if it's just one comment about the book. I know life gets in the way and some of us can not/do not have the time to come on good reads as often. I'm not trying to be a hard ass but rules are rules and fair is fair.

message 2: by Carolyn F. (new)

Carolyn F. I'm reading this one right now and I'm thinking there's a very clear parallel between this and Patricia Brigg's Mercy books. Murphy's book was published in 2005 and Patricia Briggs' book was published in 2006. They both have American Indian mechanics living in Washington State who shape shift into coyotes and are dealing with the Fae. Has anyone else noticed this?

message 3: by Jael ~ *~ Syhren ~* ~, The Restorer (new)

I haven't started it yet but that is very weird. I will be reading it probably sometime this week.

message 4: by Nairabell (new)

Nairabell | 44 comments That is weird!!! Not sure when this month I'll read this, but I'll definitely be reading it.

message 5: by Michelle (new)

Michelle Gilmore I have this one. I'll probably start it by the end of the week.

message 6: by Michelle (new)

Michelle Gilmore Carolyn F. wrote: "I'm reading this one right now and I'm thinking there's a very clear parallel between this and Patricia Brigg's Mercy books. Murphy's book was published in 2005 and Patricia Briggs' book was publis..."

Hmmm.... I really like the Mercy Thompson series, and had to read the first 3 books back to back.

message 7: by Carolyn F. (new)

Carolyn F. Wait until you start it Michelle, it starts off that she's American Indian on her way back to Washington State and she's talking in her head about how she's a mechanic and I thought, this sounds really familiar. And then it just goes from there.

message 8: by Michelle B (new)

Michelle B (karenshell) | 370 comments Mod
I read this book a few months ago and thought it was good. Did not like the 2nd one that much but I'll discuss more as others read it.

message 9: by [deleted user] (last edited Jun 03, 2010 03:05AM) (new)

I read this one in 2009 and thought it was just ok. The story has great promise though and as of right now I'm unsure if I will continue the series or not. The characters were well written and likeable I just found it very slow to start and for me it really didn't pick up much until the last couple of capters. I took me quit some time to read it. I hope everyone else finds it better then I did :)

And since my book shipper screwed up on last months book,which FINALLY arrived >:( I'm going to read that one in place of this months since I all ready read it.

message 10: by Carolyn F. (last edited Jun 03, 2010 10:21AM) (new)

Carolyn F. I finished this last night. It was pretty good. Joanne's pretty funny and I liked Gary, Morrison and Billy. I wish there would have been more about Billy, he's such a unique character. I was going to go on to read #2 and #3 immediately after this, but I'm going to hold off. Although I liked the book, my mind wandered a lot and I kept getting up and doing something else which is a bad sign. Except for the set up, the book is really not much like Patricia Briggs' Mercy books. I gave it 3.5 stars.

Unapologetic_Bookaholic Carolyn F. wrote: "I'm reading this one right now and I'm thinking there's a very clear parallel between this and Patricia Brigg's Mercy books. Murphy's book was published in 2005 and Patricia Briggs' book was publis..."

I have not read the PB series but it'll be an intersting comparsion if I ever get to read it.

Sy: I haven't been around for the last few BOM b/c I didn't have the books. I asked for JUNE and I WILL be commenting. I totally understand where your coming from, sister mine.

message 12: by Michelle (new)

Michelle Gilmore I started this one earlier tonight. So far I really like it. I think I've had this one for over a year in my physical tbr pile, and I don't know why I haven't read it sooner. The way it starts out, it's hard to put it down. I did go to the used bookstore, and was able to grab the second book in this series.

message 13: by Jael ~ *~ Syhren ~* ~, The Restorer (new)

@Kenjii I understand that, but the point of the bookclub was for everyone to get the books, for reading and discussion. It's why I asked for everyone's pick early on. It was so everyone knew what books they would have to get and read. Even though you asked for June. The rules of the book club was to read the books you didn't pick as well. Some people aren't even commenting on the books they have chosen where as some are posting reguarly every month.

message 14: by Michelle B (new)

Michelle B (karenshell) | 370 comments Mod
Carolyn F. wrote: "I finished this last night. It was pretty good. Joanne's pretty funny and I liked Gary, Morrison and Billy. I wish there would have been more about Billy, he's such a unique character. I was go..."

Carolyn, I was the same way when I read this book. It was interesting enough but my mind also kept wondering off on it. For me I think she was a little to descriptive at times and that is what made me wonder off. And book 2 for me, I was wondering off through the whole book, so I'm holding off on reading book 3 for a little.

I did like the humor and love Gary's character.

message 15: by Carolyn F. (last edited Jun 21, 2010 08:10AM) (new)

Carolyn F. I loved Gary. And Morrison, I'm wondering what's going on with that. The way he came running after her when the earthquake happened. That got me thinking. I'm going to read book #3 but probably not until July.

message 16: by Nairabell (new)

Nairabell | 44 comments This was awesome! I really enjoyed it, though I was worried it'd be too close to the Mercy Thompson novels it really wasn't once it got going. I've just started the second and have the third ready and waiting.

message 17: by Jael ~ *~ Syhren ~* ~, The Restorer (new)

well I will be finally reading this come monday.

message 18: by Pam (new)

Pam I enjoyed this book and will continue the series. I really liked Morrison and can't wait to see what happens in future books. I did not think it was too close to the Mercy series - a lot of differences.

message 19: by Carolyn F. (new)

Carolyn F. I agree Pam. The premise was the same but the writing was different. I read books #1 and #2 and will read #3 in July.

message 20: by Michelle (new)

Michelle Gilmore I finally finished it! I really enjoyed it. I'm glad that I have the second one on hand already. I'd definitely like to continue with this series.

message 21: by Jael ~ *~ Syhren ~* ~, The Restorer (new)

Just started this one and so far it is not bad.

message 22: by Jael ~ *~ Syhren ~* ~, The Restorer (new)

i have been all over the place with my reading.I started atleast six books last month. Anyway i did get to finish this one and I must I will be picking up the next book or atleast adding it to my TBR pile.

Unapologetic_Bookaholic I know this was my BOM pick. I started it late because I have been doing a lot of writing and hardly any heavy reading. This author has an interesting world and character I don't feel I can rush through. I will post my thoughts when I finish. In the next few days. I am on vacation and hope to catch up on reading =D

Unapologetic_Bookaholic Finally had to set this aside unfinished after 2 months. Here's my review.

Joanne had a few visitations by spirit beings. Her shaman abilities aided her in a couple of incidents. She should have started accepting, she is special. I can understand the first half of a book the character floundering about not knowing what's what, but after that they should be taking baby steps into become what ever is it they are destined.

For the most part the litany of her inner dialog was very boring and did not reveal much about what she was thinking or feeling about being a shaman. For example, things that should have an impact, barely registered and small issues [car troubles, coffee-making:] got a few sentences worth of explanations. I cringe now as I have to think about it to write it down. I especially would have much rather heard more about her conflicts couple with her adapting being a shaman. I believe her growth would have been faster, more believable if she had been more analytical. I am more entertained by quick-witted characters. Her thinking just seemed a bit stalled.

In short this character type is just not my cup of joe. I like tough heroines yes soft enough to cry, at times. At the beginning I did not like her voice but I stuck it out wanting to find out the plot. I tried to finish but was unsuccessful.