Chicks On Lit discussion

Other Hot Book Discussions > NOOK lenders????

Comments Showing 1-12 of 12 (12 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Cyn (new)

Cyn | 258 comments Who has a NOOK? Can we set up a lending list here somehow? I know that not all publishers allow this, but let's take advantage of one if our great features here!

message 2: by Britt☮ (new)

Britt☮ (genki_bee) Choose wisely — the Nook only allows you to lend each book once, ever!

message 3: by Cyn (new)

Cyn | 258 comments Thanks, Britt...I do know that, but as opposed to the kindle that doesn't allow lending EVER!!!

Just trying to get a sence of anyone who is in for sharing here

message 4: by Britt☮ (last edited Jun 02, 2010 06:27AM) (new)

Britt☮ (genki_bee) Not trying to start a war, I just thought some Nook users might not be aware. I've read posts on forums from angry/disappointed Nook owners not realizing the limitations of the lending feature until after they bought the Nook. I've even heard claims that Barnes & Noble customer service representatives have outright lied about the lending feature (saying it could be done repeatedly, it was available for all books, etc.) And when so many people choose the Nook over the Kindle specifically because it has a lending feature, this information is worth knowing.

message 5: by Cyn (new)

Cyn | 258 comments As with a hard copy of a book, that you also would NOT have access to while you lent it out LOL

WHO IS IN?

message 6: by Teresa (new)

Teresa (teresainohio) what is a nook?

message 7: by Britt☮ (new)

Britt☮ (genki_bee) Teresa in Ohio wrote: "what is a nook?"

Barnes & Noble's ebook reader.

message 8: by Jenny (new)

Jenny (narcisse) | 209 comments My brother's girlfriend has a Nook, and out of her 30-40 books, only 2 of them are lendable. I don't remember which ones.. Rather than "borrowing" books from her, I just put the B&N ereader app on my iPhone and log in to her account to have access to her whole library. Muahaha.

message 9: by Jayme (new)

Jayme (jaymetheghostreader) | 4858 comments that's evil :)

message 10: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie (Reading is Better With Cupcakes) (imjustcupcake) Its evil, but smart... Two nooks can actually go on the same account...thus both get all the books. The lending for only 1 time is actually set by the publishers, not by BN. Also, when Nook first came out...but wasn't in stores...not even the booksellers knew exactly how the lending thing would work, as it wasn't exactly told to us. Lame excuse, I know...but we didn't.

message 11: by Jenny (new)

Jenny (narcisse) | 209 comments Yeah as long as you trust the person to be on your account and not mess with it or buy stuff then it works out well. I allow her access to my Kindle account in return.

As far as the lending goes, it'll be nice when publishers start participating in these types of features. They're so paranoid about book sales that they're alienating customers by being total d-bags where ebooks are concerned. Now they don't want you to be able to lend an ebook, as though dead tree books don't get passed around and resold by secondhand dealers. I don't see them refusing to sell their books to libraries the way they shy away from a lending feature.

message 12: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie (Reading is Better With Cupcakes) (imjustcupcake) Yeah. They seem to have an unfounded fear of it destroying them. People have been sharing books for forever now. They need to accept that a single book makes it to many people. Someone passing it off to a friend, using a website to swap books, selling it off to a used bookstore, donating it to Goodwill, garage sales....etc etc. I don't think the ebook sharing will destroy them. I dare say that more people still read regular books over ebooks anyways.

I suppose they think that someone will figure out how to print them or something? I don't know. Publishers do like to make it hard.