Mystery/Thriller Reading Friends discussion

Monthly "Reads" > Barry's May

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Barry (new)

Barry (barrypz) | 3079 comments Not surprisingly, more than half my page count for the month occurred in the last week.

Fever Dreams: Preston/Child
The Pendergast series, and an idea of how new story lines will play out now that the series dealing with his brother have played out. We learn some of Pendergast's past here, and what he learns sets him on an extra legal quest, looking for the man who murdered his wife decades back. (B+)

212: Alafair Burke
Not quite the "can;;t put down" the cover said, but a good entry into the series of Rogan and Hatcher, the male/female homicide detective team. Unlike her father, Alafair goes for the straight up mystery, suspects, clues, elimination and intuition rather than prose that reads like a painting and the school of hard knocks. Burke does a good job of sprinkling clues around for you to get your teeth into, and ultimately provides a satisfying story. (B)

The Tower: Greg Hurwitz
This was Hurwitz' first book. I can believe after reading that an author starts because he has one book in him that has to get out, and them just keeps on writing. Not that this is a great book, rather it is a classic tale of Hunted and Hunter, and Hurwitz puts his all into it. (B)

Hell's Kitchen: Jeffrey Deaver
Written as William Jeffries in 2001, just before the big move into the Lincoln Rhyme series, and its attendant fame and fortune. I have not changed my opinion that the best of his early books is "A Maiden's Grave", and this novel is very transitional in that the characters, and story are much like those of the earlier Rune series, while the end already shows love Deaver has for plot twists and complications. (B)

Deep Black Biowar- Steve Coonts
A co-written series of super special forces operatives. I have avoided this series in the past, I will avoid it in the future. The story was not compelling, and the soldiers and their technology were at best tedious. (C+)

The Vendetta Defense: Lisa Scottoline
This one qualifies as a full blown caper, a young female lawyer defending an elderly Italian gentleman, with the help of his elderly Italian buddies. All while falling in love with the man's hunky son. (B+)

Compelling Evidence: Steve Martini
The first of the Paul Madriani legal thrillers, very linear in spite of the effort at a twist. He telegraphs the future of the novel too boldly, and the story follows predictable lines. (B-)

Deadly Games: Thom Racina
Stank. A computer game writer brainwashes his players into assassination of religious leaders. He has dolts for helpers. Some bigger dolts try to stop him. (C)

message 2: by Marcy (new)

Marcy | 865 comments Barry wrote: "Not surprisingly, more than half my page count for the month occurred in the last week.

Fever Dreams: Preston/Child
The Pendergast series, and an idea of how new story lines will play out now t..."

I love Pendergast - didn't realize the new one was out! Thanks for the reminder.

message 3: by Cheryl (new)

Cheryl | 547 comments Hell's Kitchen: Jeffrey Deaver
Written as William Jeffries in 2001, just before the big move into the Lincoln Rhyme series, and its attendant fame and fortune. I have not changed my opinion that the best of his early books is "A Maiden's Grave", and this novel is very transitional in that the characters, and story are much like those of the earlier Rune series, while the end already shows love Deaver has for plot twists and complications. (B)

Completely agree - "A Maiden's Grave" was my first Deaver, and I have always loved it.

message 4: by Ann (new)

Ann (annrumsey) | 14730 comments Good month Barry!
I keep meaning to try an Alafair Burke novel, thanks for the details of this one. 212: A Novel

Barry wrote: "Not surprisingly, more than half my page count for the month occurred in the last week.
212: Alafair Burke
Not quite the "can;;t put down" the cover said, but a good entry into the series of Rogan and Hatcher, the male/female homicide detective team. Unlike her father, Alafair goes for the straight up mystery, suspects, clues, elimination and intuition rather than prose that reads like a painting and the school of hard knocks. Burke does a good job of sprinkling clues around for you to get your teeth into, and ultimately provides a satisfying story. (B) "

message 5: by Merrilee in AZ (new)

Merrilee in AZ | 1117 comments Alafair Burke is next up on the pile. I read Angel's Tip and really enjoyed it. I met Alafair at the LA book festival and she was very nice

message 6: by Mary/Quite Contrary (last edited Jun 03, 2010 04:19PM) (new)

Mary/Quite Contrary Phillips | 459 comments I have Alafair on my tbr...she's on FB and has great pictures with other authors from events. She also has a gorgeous Frenchie named 'The Duffer'.

Mary/Quite Contrary Phillips | 459 comments Barry...interesting take on Steve Martini. I liked his early work but absolutley hated GUARDIAN OF LIES that was released last fall. I use "love" often when discussing books but rarely use "hate".

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

212 (other topics)