What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

Query abandoned by poster > ABANDONED. Children's book 80's Family Tree front cover Abigail

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jess (new)

Jess I don't have alot to go on with this book. I read this in the 1980's although I'm not sure when it was written. Possibly a peach cover? Picture of an old house on the front. Inside the front cover was a family tree that went back to the 1800's. Main character a young girl named Abigail. Some of these details may not be correct as the memory of this book is vague. Any help appreciated!

message 2: by Valerie (new)

Valerie (veegood) | 200 comments Could it have been Playing Beatie Bow?
I read it at high school in the 80s. Abigail and her mother live in a high rise in Sydney and she goes back in time to the 1870s, meets a young girl called Beatie Bow, lives with her family for a while. My copy had a black cover with photographs on it, but there could have been more than one edition. There was a family tree fairly prominent in the story...

message 3: by CLM (new)

CLM | 302 comments There's also a book called The Family Tree (UK title: Kate and the Family Tree) by the gifted Margaret Storey - about an orphan trying to create a sense of current family by learning about her ancestors. But her name is Kate!

message 4: by Nancy (new)

Nancy | 67 comments The painted hallway / Nancy-Lou Patterson. 1992
English Book Book : Fiction : Juvenile audience 205 p. ; 23 cm. Erin, Ont. : The Porcupine's Quill

Subject headings:
Space and time -- Fiction.
Genealogy -- Fiction.
Mansions -- Fiction.
Great-grandmothers -- Fiction.

Cover is pink/peach with a large Queen Anne or Victorian house (two stories, and possibly a cupola)--still in print, you can see the cover on Amazon. The protagonist's name is Jennifer...

message 5: by Jess (new)

Jess I honestly can't remember much about the story itself. I just remember being fascinated by the family tree diagram, I have no idea why. I don't think it was a fantasy. Possibly about a girl going to live with relatives in a big house, but I don't think it was any mentioned above.

message 6: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Lobstergirl | 39641 comments Mod
Jess left the group; moved to Abandoned.