Discworld discussion

Going Postal Mini Series

Comments Showing 1-35 of 35 (35 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Siobhan (new)

Siobhan Just seen the Going Postal mini series and for the most part really enjoyed, there were a few niggling things but over all it turned out really well. Has anybody else seen the it?

message 2: by Bjoern (new)

Bjoern | 6 comments I've just now come to catch up with it.

I'm really quite impressed for they were rather true to the spirit if maybe not to the letter of the book. Nice casting, wonderful costumes and props, up to now the best TP Movie i've seen.

message 3: by A.C (new)

A.C | 3 comments I did not know there is such a series, but I am looking forward to see it. I liked the others

message 4: by surfmadpig (last edited Jun 10, 2010 01:36AM) (new)

surfmadpig | 2 comments I liked hogfather but didn't like the color of magic/light fantastic tv adaptations, so I didn't have high expectations.

Having said that, what I liked about the GP adaptation was the detail in the scenery/costumes. Good casting choices, good writing, in general a very good mini series. Of course it's not as good as the book, but that just wasn't possible. Overall I really really enjoyed it, especially compared to the others.

message 5: by Diana (new)

Diana Dupree | 2 comments I really wish they would try and bring us something with the Witches and/or the Feegles. I've love to see them little Scunners on the telly. I enjoyed Going Postal overall, looked like they'd thrown a lot of money at it, with great casting and scenery. The golems did look too much like a man in a rubber suit though.

message 6: by Bjoern (new)

Bjoern | 6 comments I can't say what their plans for the fture are, but i think i've read somewhere that 2011 Sky wants to show Making Money, after that it's unknown what might or might not follow.

My own guess would rather tend to some of the watch books, because the less "magic" is going on the better you should be able to manage your FX budgets.
And if i'd have a wish free i#d want Thief of time as a movie/series. There are some really impressive scenes that would just play out wonderfully on the big screen...

message 7: by Mari (new)

Mari Miniatt (MariMiniatt) | 4 comments Finally saw it. Very good adaptation. The actor that played Moist was dead on. It took me a little bit to get used to a red headed Ventinari, but he had the mannerisms down.

Two complaints. No sorting machine. And the golem that had lived for millions of years (can't think how to spell his name).

message 8: by Nick (new)

Nick Deel | 1 comments Anyone know where I can see the mini series? Is it online, available on DVD? Just finished reading going postal and making money and I really want to see this series. I'm in the US. Thanks!

message 9: by Dk11 (new)

Dk11 | 3 comments Please pass on the details like release and studio etc.. is it available online?

message 10: by Dk11 (new)

Dk11 | 3 comments Thalia wrote: "I found it on amazon.co.uk, so it's region 2. Studio is 20th century fox home entertainment."
Thanks Thalia!

message 11: by Vanessa (new)

Vanessa (vanessakaleidoscope) | 1 comments I thoroughly enjoyed BOTH Going Postal and the Hogfather. They were both very well done, esp. for TV productions. I think Mr. Tea Time was cast VERY well (in the Hogfather), and I quite appreciated Adora Belle Dearheart, although I didn't get that much "romance" from the book; in fact I got none. I think they added a bit more in just to appease the audience. I think Spike would have made Moist work damn hard for every millimetre he was given. But still, Very well done!

(and yes, the Golem was too much of a man in a rubber suit. I think "Thing" from Fantastic Four would have made a perfect Golem, in appearance if nothing else!)

message 12: by Gomez (new)

Gomez Addams | 15 comments Actually, a change of plans has been announced some time ago, and the new Discworld movie, currently in production and to be shown on Sky UK in 2012, will instead be "Unseen Academicals".

I suspect the 2012 football European Championship might have influenced the choice :)

message 13: by Julie (new)

Julie (jataylor) | 3 comments I loved the casting for Spike - I think they did a great job of Going Postal, BUT the portrayal of Angua threw me off. She just seemed wrong..

message 14: by D.L. (new)

D.L. Morrese (dl_morrese) | 53 comments I preordered the DVD and was told yesterday that it's been shipped! Can't wait.

message 15: by Niall (new)

Niall | 129 comments Of all the Sky adaptations, Going Postal is my favourite. as it seemed closest to the book and the most well developed of the three. felt that David Jason, for all his love of the Discworld, was miscast as Rincewind and lets not even talk about Twoflower :-s

message 16: by Gomez (new)

Gomez Addams | 15 comments Well, going a bit off-topic, that's something which puzzled me no end for quite some time... lots of people complained about the casting of David Jason as Rincewind, but hardly anybody seemed to notice Twoflower was just as miscast... nothing wrong with Sean Astin himself, of course ;), but...

Rincewind is described in the books as a tall, rather skinny thirtysomething, and David Jason is indeed none of the above, but Twoflower is at the same time a middle-aged Asian, where does all-american youth Sean fit the bill?

Should have been Jackie Chan, if you ask me, would have been perfect and there would have been chances for him to do some acrobatics, surely :)

message 17: by Louise (new)

Louise | 63 comments I agree on the Rincewind part, but to cast Jackie Chan as Twoflower. No, that is not a good idea. The book is not a martial art book. So the dvd can be either. And because of the Rincewind role I haven't finished the dvd.
And for the Going Postal miniseries. I haven't seen it yet, but ask me in a few weeks, and maybe then I have seen it.

message 18: by D.L. (new)

D.L. Morrese (dl_morrese) | 53 comments Got my copy of the Blueray of Going Postal in the mail (appropriately enough) yesterday. Loved it. It's a good adaptation. But why did it take so long for a US version to be released?

message 19: by Louise (new)

Louise | 63 comments I didn't even know it was out until I read it here. But I can't get it in the music stores here, I have to order it online. That isn't a problem, but I just ordered some books so now I will wait a few weeks. Just a few weeks, 2 I Think. I'm to curious.

message 20: by Katelynn (new)

Katelynn | 9 comments god that movie made me SOOO mad though. I felt adora bell dearheart was completely off. And in parts where the book specifically says moist kept cool, which showed part of the character, he went completly mad. the opposite.

message 21: by Louise (new)

Louise | 63 comments I loved it.

message 22: by Niall (new)

Niall | 129 comments Katelynn wrote: "god that movie made me SOOO mad though. I felt adora bell dearheart was completely off. And in parts where the book specifically says moist kept cool, which showed part of the character, he went ..."

just goes to show how different people can find something different in the same book.I thought Claire Foy was excellent. particularly loved the scene where she stops Moist and the horse dead in their tracks

message 23: by Katelynn (new)

Katelynn | 9 comments see i thought the actress was fantastic, but parts of the writing was completely horrible. She was very good but there were specific things the author did not have her do, that was part of her character. He deliberately had her listen calmly to moist and not go ape shit, because its part of her character, but she goes all bitter and angry and crazy. I'm a purist when It comes to my tp

message 24: by Niall (new)

Niall | 129 comments It all comes back to book vs screen adaptation and 99 times out of 100, the book is better than the adaptation. I now go to films of books expecting it not to be as good, that way I'm not disappointed.
case in point, my friend got me into Harry Potter, she would lend me the book, then we would watch the film. After the third story, she made me watch all the films up to 6, before letting me read any more of the books just so that I wouldn't sit and criticise the films. the films are good, but not as good as the books :)

message 25: by Katelynn (new)

Katelynn | 9 comments yes but its one thing to leave something out, or tweak it a bit, its a whole other thing to do the opposite of what was written...sorry i'm just a tad bit obsessed

message 26: by Niall (new)

Niall | 129 comments Katelynn wrote: "yes but its one thing to leave something out, or tweak it a bit, its a whole other thing to do the opposite of what was written...sorry i'm just a tad bit obsessed"

yup, there is definitely a "tad" thing going on there :p

message 27: by Katelynn (new)

Katelynn | 9 comments yeah ever since I was like twelve and I found the amazing maurice at the library

message 28: by Louise (new)

Louise | 63 comments I had no problems with the miniserie going postal but that is probably because I could not exactly remember what happend in the book. I read the book when it came out, and years later the miniserie came. I forgot almost everything in the book. The only thing I was annoyed about was my dvd player. it had difficultys with the disc.

message 29: by Katelynn (new)

Katelynn | 9 comments see the other problem is going postal is probably my first or second favorite, I've reread it like 9 times...

message 30: by Niall (new)

Niall | 129 comments I would have to put Going Postal in my top 5. I really like the character of MVL and his relationship with Mr Pump :)

message 31: by D.L. (new)

D.L. Morrese (dl_morrese) | 53 comments Katelynn wrote: "yes but its one thing to leave something out, or tweak it a bit, its a whole other thing to do the opposite of what was written...sorry i'm just a tad bit obsessed"
Yes, movies almost always deviate from the books they are based upon. I'm sure Pratchett's books are especially hard to translate to film because so much good stuff is in internalized thoughts, asides, and footnotes. :-)

message 32: by Katelynn (new)

Katelynn | 9 comments right so they could have saved some time that the characters spent freaking out and going wackadoodle to put some stuff in they left out. just saying

message 33: by Louise (new)

Louise | 63 comments books will always be better than the movies. I had that with the Lord of the Rings, with Prince Caspian and with the movie of an Dutch book. sometimes things can't always go like we the readers want them to go. sigh

message 34: by Becci (new)

Becci | 11 comments I enjoyed it - even though its almost impossible to translate Discworld into a visual medium.
I was disappointed at how different the character of Moist was to the books - the tv version had very little of his brazen pizzazz, but as I said, it was quite enjoyable.
I have heard there's a City Watch series in the making, but haven't seen an update on progress in quite a while. Fingers crossed.

message 35: by D.K. (new)

D.K. Mok (dkmok) | 3 comments I really enjoyed the Going Postal mini-series. I loved the set design and costumes (the golems reminded me a little of old-school Doctor Who, but I like old-school Doctor Who, so I didn't mind). While some of the characters and scenes were a bit different to the book, overall, I thought the actors did a great job of conveying the spirit of the characters. It was also fantastic to see the clacks realised onscreen.

I have to say I was a little wary when I heard they were planning The Watch TV series, but then I learned that Rhianna Pratchett will be working on it, so now I'm keen to see it. She seems to have a good track record in games writing, and there's a nice interview with her here about it.
http://www.polygon.com/features/2014/...