One Million Pages Per Lifetime discussion

Archive 1.0 > Books You HIGHLY Recommend 2010-2011

Comments Showing 1-50 of 76 (76 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Zakiya (new)

Zakiya LadyWings (zladywings) Any books that you absolutely loved, or just really liked, can be posted here for others to maybe add them to their bookshelves! :)

message 2: by Zakiya (new)

Zakiya LadyWings (zladywings) Here's my read shelf. The ones rated 4 or 5 stars are the best to me :)

http://www.goodreads.com/review/list/...

message 3: by Dovewing (new)

Dovewing Harry Potter books!!! And the Dragons in our midst series!!!!!!!!!!!

message 4: by [deleted user] (new)

I just got Beautiful Creatures (Caster Chronicles, #1) by Kami Garcia by Kami Garcia & Margaret Stohl in the mail today from the GR's swap. I pulled it out of the brown paper and kissed it. I'm so happy to have it! Looking forward to this re-read.

But to the topic! I HIGHLY recommend this YA book :)

message 5: by Sherri (new)

Sherri (sherrij2003) | 170 comments How does the Swap work? What is the condition of the books usually?

I have a ton of books someone gave me that I want to get rid of b/c I'll never read them and if I can't make money off of them from ebay then the least I could do would be to trade them for something I do want right?

message 6: by [deleted user] (new)

pretty easy. go to the swap, type in the book and click to the book to make it swapable. then you wait for someone to request the book then you have to mail it to them. Print out a label that they pay for and slap it on the package. It is fun. You should check out the swap on here. I've received a few books that are amazing!

message 7: by Adrienne (new)

Adrienne (a-town) | 10 comments I absolutely fell in love with Bernard Shaw and Walter Moers just recently. Their books are beyond amazing and both are funny and witty in their own very special way. I also really liked the book, That Amazing Junk-Man. It's a collection of fun stories that made me cry and laugh almost simultaneously.

message 8: by Zakiya (new)

Zakiya LadyWings (zladywings) I will check into the authors. The book sounds really good :)

message 9: by Lindsay (new)

Lindsay Paige (authorlindsaypaige) Plain Truth

Here's my review of it, just in case you need some encouragement to seal the deal. ;)

http://justanotherbookaddict.blogspot...

message 10: by Sherri (new)

Sherri (sherrij2003) | 170 comments sounds good! i've read my sisters keeper and i have songs of the humpback whale on my shelf at home to be read but i think i will def. go and get this one soon.

PS - have you read the humback one?

message 11: by Lindsay (new)

Lindsay Paige (authorlindsaypaige) I haven't yet.

Amy ~Lover of Books~ | 500 comments Here are some books I have read that I gave 5 stars and would recommend

Fallen (Fallen, #1) by Lauren Kate The Awakening (Darkest Powers, #2) by Kelley Armstrong The Summoning (Darkest Powers, #1) by Kelley Armstrong Darkfever (Fever, #1) by Karen Marie Moning Bloodfever (Fever, #2) by Karen Marie Moning Faefever (Fever, #3) by Karen Marie Moning Dreamfever (Fever, #4) by Karen Marie Moning The Dark Divine (The Dark Divine, #1) by Bree Despain Thirteen Reasons Why by Jay Asher

message 13: by Zakiya (new)

Zakiya LadyWings (zladywings) I haven't read any of those. Have never heard of the ones by Ms. Moning. Never heard of her either really. What's it about? Are they good?

message 14: by Zakiya (new)

Zakiya LadyWings (zladywings) Great review Lindsay! :)

message 15: by Lindsay (new)

Lindsay Paige (authorlindsaypaige) Thanks! :)

message 16: by Angela (new)

Angela B | 400 comments I have only read the first Moning book (Darkfever) but I really liked it and I have the second one out from the library sitting on my desk!

Amy ~Lover of Books~ | 500 comments ♥ZakiyaR♥ wrote: "I haven't read any of those. Have never heard of the ones by Ms. Moning. Never heard of her either really. What's it about? Are they good?"

the Moning books are really good. They are aimed for adults because of the content in them. What made me want to read the series is that there is Unseelie and Seelie fae in it and I love reading about them. The fifth and final book in this series is coming out this December.

message 18: by Zakiya (new)

Zakiya LadyWings (zladywings) Ohh okay. That sounds like a cool concept to read about. Was just curious. thanks :)

Amy ~Lover of Books~ | 500 comments ♥ZakiyaR♥ wrote: "Ohh okay. That sounds like a cool concept to read about. Was just curious. thanks :)"

You're welcome

message 20: by Erica (storybookend) (last edited Jul 01, 2010 02:44PM) (new)

Erica (storybookend) | 39 comments I recommend:

Graceling (The Seven Kingdoms Trilogy, #1) by Kristin Cashore Fire (The Seven Kingdoms Trilogy, #2) by Kristin Cashore Brightly Woven by Alexandra Bracken The Iron King (Iron Fey, #1) by Julie Kagawa Inkheart (Inkheart, #1) by Cornelia Funke Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen Jane Eyre by Charlotte Brontë
the Fablehaven series, Percy Jackson Series, Harry Potter.

Other good books: The Hourglass Door by Lisa Mangum The Golden Spiral (Hourglass Door Trilogy, #2) by Lisa Mangum Poison Study (Study, #1) by Maria V. Snyder Magic Study (Study, #2) by Maria V. Snyder Fire Study (Study, #3) by Maria V. Snyder As You Wish by Jackson Pearce The Red Pyramid (Kane Chronicles, #1) by Rick Riordan The Goose Girl (The Books of Bayern, #1) by Shannon Hale The Host by Stephenie Meyer The Hunger Games (Hunger Games, #1) by Suzanne Collins Catching Fire (Hunger Games, #2) by Suzanne Collins Magic Under Glass (Magic Under, #1) by Jaclyn Dolamore Shiver (The Wolves of Mercy Falls, #1) by Maggie Stiefvater Academy 7 by Anne Osterlund

message 21: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie (Reading is Better With Cupcakes) (imjustcupcake) | 233 comments The Hunger Games and Catching Fire. Then pretty much any of the books by Maria V. Snyder

Erica (storybookend) | 39 comments Maria V. Snyder is really good.

PaNdORa   (gökçe) (pandora-m) | 25 comments what is it about ?

PaNdORa   (gökçe) (pandora-m) | 25 comments my dear friends can you write about the topic with the book name that you offer to us

message 25: by Zakiya (new)

Zakiya LadyWings (zladywings) If anyone wants good books, first make sure you're my friend. If not, request me! Then you can check out my "absolute favorites" and "runner-up favorites." shelves. All of them are four and five stars in my eye!!

message 26: by Angela (new)

Angela B | 400 comments I shall have to do that :)

message 27: by Stacie (new)

Stacie | 1 comments Halfway to the Grave (Night Huntress, #1) by Jeaniene Frost or any of the books from this series!!!
Hush, Hush (Hush, Hush, #1) by Becca Fitzpatrick love this book!!
City of Bones (Mortal Instruments, #1) by Cassandra Clare or any from this series!
Deadly Little Secret (Touch, #1) by Laurie Faria Stolarz & Deadly Little Lies (Touch, #2) by Laurie Faria Stolarz great books!!!
Shadowland (The Immortals, #3) by Alyson Noel and any from this series!!
Vampire academy series
house of night series

message 28: by Zakiya (new)

Zakiya LadyWings (zladywings) I've read all the vamp academy books. actually, I'm reading SB right now. Ready for Last Sacrifice or what?! :D

I just finished Betrayed the other day, Can't wait for Chosen. The HON series is def promising!

message 29: by Amy ~Lover of Books~ (last edited Jul 25, 2010 04:23PM) (new)

Amy ~Lover of Books~ | 500 comments The Scent of Shadows (Sign of the Zodiac, #1) by Vicki Pettersson this is the first book to the sign of the zodiac series I just finished reading and I will check out the other books from this series for sure.

message 30: by Lauren (new)

Lauren (theshorthairedone) | 18 comments One of my favorite authors is John Green. I love his books! He's really funny and his books are fantastic. Paper Towns and An Abundance of Katherines are my favorites, then Looking for Alaska, and lastly, his collab in Will Grayson, Will Grayson. Oh, his bit in Let it Snow was really great, too.
READ THEM!

message 31: by Zakiya (new)

Zakiya LadyWings (zladywings) They will def be added to my TBR list!!! Thanks for the recommendations! :)

message 32: by Catrina (new)

Catrina  (ninasama) I really like any book by Jasper Fforde. The Thursday Next series is really clever and funny, especially if you are a bibliophile (which would probably be all of us). I mean, she can go into books!!! And the opening book for his newest series, Shades of Grey is amazingly absurd dystopic fiction.

I also recommend the Parasol Protectorate series by Gail Carriger as they are laugh-out-loud funny and proper at the same time! I almost switched to sides from vampires to werewolves after reading these books. Thank goodness I read Dracula, My Love by Syrie James in time. (Also a good book!)

Sorry, I don't know html so I couldn't but in the links and pictures... :(

message 33: by Heather (new)

Heather (nickyblue7) | 486 comments i really liked the books memoirs of a geisha, wintergirls, the house of night series and blood and chocolate

message 34: by Shay (new)

Shay | 862 comments My son is going through an "I hate girls" phase- he's twelve. What it really is, I think, is that he doesn't understand girls. For example, he got the phone number of a really "hot" girl before the end of summer. I told him not to call her right away, but he called her the second he got home. She told him she was busy and hung up. Any recommendations of YA books to help him understand girls better?

message 35: by Angela (new)

Angela B | 400 comments Haha I can't think of any but that is so cute is a poor kid kind of way

message 36: by Shay (new)

Shay | 862 comments Angela wrote: "Haha I can't think of any but that is so cute is a poor kid kind of way"

Okay, maybe not completely understand girls, but maybe to understand why girls can be so mean. Ugh, I always thought girls were meaner than boys. I don't know, I think it's meaner to freeze someone out and make them a social leper than it is to punch them (like a boy would do).

message 37: by Angela (new)

Angela B | 400 comments girls are mean but I can't think of a book to make that understandable

message 38: by ★Meghan★ (new)

★Meghan★ (starinheaven) | 1455 comments The only thing I can think of is a book where girls do a lot of gossiping that can damage another girls life/reputation/emotions. That is the best bet. I mean I know not all girls are like that but there are quite a few girls that are.

message 39: by [deleted user] (new)

OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG!!! I HIGHLY HIGHLY HIGHLY recommend the Mortal Instruments Series by Cassie Clare!!!! Love her writing and the idea of Nephilim/Shadowhunters!!!

message 40: by Zakiya (new)

Zakiya LadyWings (zladywings) Yep, same here. I've only read City of Bones, and will be trying to read City of Asheds super-soon. COB was so much different with the Shadowhunters being entered into my idea of a mystical world. Absolutely love that book!

message 41: by [deleted user] (new)

oh. yeah. :D

message 42: by Zakiya (new)

Zakiya LadyWings (zladywings) LOL

message 43: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 313 comments I highly recommend the Outlander series by Diana Gabaldon - they are all long books - 500 - 1100 pages in hardcover...but well worth it...they are historical fiction/romance...with some time travel mixed in. they start in post WW2 Scotland, and the woman Claire walks through some standing stones and ends up in 1740's Scotland prior to Culloden. There are currently 7 books out, and they follow her going back in time and meeting Jamie (her "soulmate")

Outlander (Outlander, #1) by Diana Gabaldon Dragonfly in Amber (Outlander, #2) by Diana Gabaldon Voyager (Outlander, #3) by Diana Gabaldon Drums of Autumn (Outlander, #4) by Diana Gabaldon The Fiery Cross (Outlander, #5) by Diana Gabaldon A Breath of Snow and Ashes (Outlander, #6) by Diana Gabaldon An Echo in the Bone (Outlander, #7) by Diana Gabaldon

message 44: by Shay (new)

Shay | 862 comments Delicious Dee Challenge Addict wrote: "I highly recommend the Outlander series by Diana Gabaldon - they are all long books - 500 - 1100 pages in hardcover...but well worth it...they are historical fiction/romance...with some time travel..."

I've been meaning to give this series a try. I think I will since you've liked them so much. I just added it to my ebook wishlist at the library. I'm reading
Fall of Giants and Gone With the Wind right now, and they're both over 1,000 pages. (And I got notified that the ebook for World Without End ebook needs to be checked out; also over 1,000 pages.) So, I'll start this series after I finish those three. Thanks.

message 45: by Shay (new)

Shay | 862 comments If anyone wants to give the series Dee mentioned a try, Outlander is free today, as a ebook, at Amazon and Kobo.

message 46: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 313 comments I have Fall of Giants on my wishlist...waiting on the kindle price to drop slightly...I loved Pillars of the Earth, have WWE as well, but haven't read it yet.

Outlander starts out a little slow, but gets better and if you don't mind audiobook, Davina Porter does a great job

Shay wrote: "Delicious Dee Challenge Addict wrote: "I highly recommend the Outlander series by Diana Gabaldon - they are all long books - 500 - 1100 pages in hardcover...but well worth it...they are historical ..."

message 47: by ★Meghan★ (new)

★Meghan★ (starinheaven) | 1455 comments I have been thinking of the Outlander series. I guess I will have to put it a little higher on my list.

message 48: by Zakiya (new)

Zakiya LadyWings (zladywings) Just finished The Last Song by Nicholas Sparks The Last Song

message 49: by **Carla** (new)

**Carla** I recomend any of the following:
The Last Song by Nicholas Sparks The Mortal Instruments Boxed Set City of Bones; City of Ashes; City of Glass (Mortal Instruments, #1-3) by Cassandra Clare Clockwork Angel (The Infernal Devices, #1) by Cassandra Clare Thirteen Reasons Why by Jay Asher Beautiful Creatures (Caster Chronicles, #1) by Kami Garcia Hush, Hush (Hush, Hush, #1) by Becca Fitzpatrick Graceling (The Seven Kingdoms, #1) by Kristin Cashore The Dead-Tossed Waves (The Forest of Hands and Teeth, #2) by Carrie Ryan (i havent read the forrest of hands and teeth yet which technically comes before dead tossed waves so i cant speak for that one yet) Fallen (Fallen, #1) by Lauren Kate The Hunger Games Trilogy Boxset by Suzanne Collins

message 50: by [deleted user] (new)

**Carla** wrote: "I recomend any of the following:
The Last Song by Nicholas SparksThe Mortal Instruments Boxed Set City of Bones; City of Ashes; City of Glass (Mortal Instruments, #1-3) by Cassandra Clare[bookcover:Clockwork Angel|717163..."

but if u read the second book without reading the first, how did you understand it?

« previous 1