Cozy Mysteries discussion

Featured Cozy Authors > Featured Author - July 2010 - Laura Childs

Comments Showing 1-50 of 70 (70 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by ஐ Briansgirl (Book Queen)ஐ, Cozy Mysteries Group Owner (last edited May 30, 2010 04:14PM) (new)

ஐ Briansgirl (Book Queen)ஐ (briansgirlkate) | 1576 comments Mod
Laura Childs is our featured author for July.
Her official website is http://www.laurachilds.com/index.html

Laura writes several popular cozy series. I've heard many good things about the various series from members here. I've also heard that a couple members didn't like one series or other. Now is a time to try out the author and decide for yourself.

Tea Shop Mysteries

1. Death by Darjeeling
2. Gunpowder Green
3. Shades of Earl Grey
4. The English Breakfast Murder
5. The Jasmine Moon Murder
6. Chamomile Mourning
7. Blood Orange Brewing
8. Dragonwell Dead
9. The Silver Needle Murder
10. Oolong Dead
11. The Teaberry Strangler - Newly Released March 2010
12. Scones & Bones New Release March 2011

Death by Darjeeling (A Tea Shop Mystery, #1) by Laura Childs Gunpowder Green (A Tea Shop Mystery, #2) by Laura Childs Shades of Earl Grey (A Tea Shop Mystery, #3) by Laura Childs The English Breakfast Murder (A Tea Shop Mystery, #4) by Laura Childs The Jasmine Moon Murder (A Tea Shop Mystery, #5) by Laura Childs Chamomile Mourning (A Tea Shop Mystery, #6) by Laura Childs Blood Orange Brewing (A Tea Shop Mystery, #7) by Laura Childs Dragonwell Dead (A Tea Shop Mystery, #8) by Laura Childs The Silver Needle Murder (A Tea Shop Mystery, #9) by Laura Childs Oolong Dead (A Tea Shop Mystery, #10) by Laura Childs The Teaberry Strangler (A Tea Shop Mystery, #11) by Laura Childs

Scrapbook Mysteries

1. Keepsake Crimes
2. Photo Finished
3. Bound for Murder
4. Motif for Murder
5. Frill Kill
6. Death Swatch
7. Tragic Magic
8. Fiber and Brimstone - New Release Oct 2010
OMNIBUS: Death By Design - Novels 1-3

Keepsake Crimes (A Scrapbooking Mystery, #1) by Laura Childs Photo Finished (A Scrapbooking Mystery, #2) by Laura Childs Bound for Murder (A Scrapbooking Mystery, #3) by Laura Childs Motif for Murder (A Scrapbooking Mystery, #4) by Laura Childs Frill Kill (A Scrapbooking Mystery, #5) by Laura Childs Death Swatch (A Scrapbooking Mystery, #6) by Laura Childs Tragic Magic (A Scrapbooking Mystery, #7) by Laura Childs Death By Design (A Scrapbooking Mystery, #1-3) by Laura Childs

Cackleberry Club Mysteries

1. Eggs in Purgatory
2. Eggs Benedict Arnold
3. Bedeviled EggsNew Release Dec 2010

Eggs in Purgatory (Cackleberry Club, #1) by Laura Childs Eggs Benedict Arnold (Cackleberry Club, #2) by Laura Childs

From the FAQ on her website:
Q. There are a few errors in some of your recipes. Can you clarify please?

A. Sorry about that. The correct amount of flour for Mississippi Mud Cake in Bound for Murder is one and a half cups.

Laura Childs is a pseudonym for Gerry Schmitt, former owner/CEO/Creative Director of a marketing/advertising firm in Minneapolis. Laura Childs is the bestselling author of the Tea Shop Mystery series and the Scrapbook Mystery series. She is a consummate tea drinker, scrapbooker, and dog lover, and travels frequently to China and Japan with Dr. Bob, her professor husband.

Also by Laura Childs:
The Joy of Keeping Farm Animals: The Ultimate Guide to Raising Your Own Food

message 2: by ஐ Briansgirl (Book Queen)ஐ, Cozy Mysteries Group Owner (new)

I have the first 3 Tea Shop mysteries but havn't read them yet, so I'm going to join in (in July) and read Death by Darjeeling.

message 3: by Heather L , Cozy Mysteries Moderator (new)

Heather L  (wordtrix) | 20730 comments Mod
I've read the first in the scrapbook mystery series. Will have to see if I can find the second.

message 4: by Melodie (new)

Melodie (melodieco) | 5280 comments I've read all the Tea Shop books and both of the Cackleberry Club books. I like the Cackleberry Club books the best. The Tea Shop books don't appeal to some and I can see why. Theodosia & Drayton can be quite off putting. Haven't read any of the scrapbooking series as that is a subject that doesn't interest me at all.

message 5: by Mollie (new)

Mollie (molliebee) | 53 comments Maybe I'll try some of her other books, but I read the first in the scrapbooking series and it was okay. But I didn't feel like I wanted to continue reading the series.

Sallie(GeorgiaGirl) (shuga) | 175 comments I have read the 1st 2 in the TeaShop Mysteries...Planning to read the next 2 soon. I have enjoyed the series so far...

message 7: by Heidi (new)

Heidi | 2445 comments Ohhh I have Eggs in Purgatory in my tbr pile. I will wait until July now.

message 8: by ஐ Briansgirl (Book Queen)ஐ, Cozy Mysteries Group Owner (last edited May 31, 2010 08:50AM) (new)

I've heard comments for and against the Tea Shop books, but I want to read them and find out for myself. I've managed to find used copies of the first 3. My guess, is that the subject matter just doesn't appeal to everyone. For instance, the scrapbooking mysteries don't appeal to me at all as I don't do scrappbooking but the cackleberry ones would interest me. However, since I havn't found them yet, will start with the Tea Shop.

message 9: by Melodie (last edited May 31, 2010 07:53PM) (new)

Melodie (melodieco) | 5280 comments Briansgirl "Master Book Sale Huntress" wrote: "I've heard comments for and against the Tea Shop books, but I want to read them and find out for myself. I've managed to find used copies of the first 3. My guess, is that the subject matter just d..."

With the Tea Shop books I don't think it's so much the subject matter as the characters. I don't drink tea, don't even like it, but the info that there is about tea in the books is kind of interesting. The characters come across as "high brow", Drayton pretty much has a stick up his butt, and some of the others like Delaine, a mostly friend of Theo's who owns a ritzy clothing shop, can be hard to take even for someone who likes the books, like me. I think that's the general problem for most people who don't like the books.

message 10: by Chris (new)

Chris Curtis (cjccur) | 68 comments I have to agree with Melodie. I never could warm to the characters in the Tea Shop books. I have Shades of Earl Grey and may pull it out to give the series one more try. I didn't care for the scrapbooking mysteries at all. There was too much about the craft and New Orleans and not enough about mystery for my tastes.

message 11: by Trine (new)

Trine (trinespageongoodreads) | 200 comments Great choice, Kate. :-) Hope you'll enjoy the books. She's always been one of my favorite authors.

message 12: by Mollie (new)

Mollie (molliebee) | 53 comments Chris, I agree about the scrapbooking mysteries. I love to scrapbook--but there is a fine line these craft/mystery writers need to walk. I want a mystery, flavored with craft tidbits--not the other way around.

message 13: by Christy (new)

Christy Brannen (murdermostbritish) | 100 comments I read the first inthe Tea Shop series and liked it just fine. I have the rest of them in my bookshelves.

I did read the first two in the The Cackleberry Club series but won't read anymore. I gave them away on PBS. Just too too sappy for me.

I don't ahve any interest in the scrapbooking series.

message 14: by Courtney (new)

Courtney (cddimmitt) I've tried the Tea Shop series and the Cackleberry Club series. I made it through the first book of the Tea Shop series and then gave about halfway through the second. I didn't finish the first book of Cackleberry Club. I still have Keepsake Crimes on my TBR list, so I'd be willing to give it a try.

message 15: by Kimberly (new)

Kimberly (whatkreads) What a great pick for July. I love all of her series - especially the Teashop one. I still need to read The Teaberry Strangler so I'll have to pick that one up soon!

message 16: by Leslie (new)

Leslie | 206 comments Heidi wrote: "Ohhh I have Eggs in Purgatory in my tbr pile. I will wait until July now."

I too have this one in my tbr pile. July it is!

message 17: by Sherrie (new)

Sherrie (vampirekisses2) | 418 comments I have Death By Darjeeling, great time for me to start reading it.

message 18: by Tammy (new)

Tammy I picked up Death by Darjeeling at a local used book store today - will begin it in a couple of weeks for the July read.

message 19: by Kathie (new)

Kathie H (gypsy18) | 18 comments I just bought this book on eBay for $4.50 which includes shipping. I'm excited to be part of the book club! Looking forward to reading this cozy as it's the first of the series. xo Kathie

message 20: by Roxann (new)

Roxann Maples-Stokes (roxyann) | 24 comments I just finished The Silver Needle Murder and loved it as I have the other TeaShop Mysteries! I love the great descriptions of the Charleston area, the useful tea lore, and the yummy recipes. The only drawback is how hungry the books make me. Great reads!! The Silver Needle Murder (A Tea Shop Mystery, #9) by Laura Childs I use my favorite quote bookmark with these books-Eleanor Roosevelt said,"A woman is like a teabag: you can't tell how strong she is until she gets in hot water."

message 21: by Kathie (new)

Kathie H (gypsy18) | 18 comments Roxann I love that quote! I want to go to Charleston. I've never been!

message 22: by Roxann (last edited Jun 24, 2010 08:24PM) (new)

Roxann Maples-Stokes (roxyann) | 24 comments Thanks Kathie!!! I've been to Charleston and loved it-even in 100 degree weather!!! It is charming and full of history and of course-great southern food!! Please let me know what you read!

message 23: by Melodie (new)

Melodie (melodieco) | 5280 comments Roxann wrote: "I just finished The Silver Needle Murder and loved it as I have the other TeaShop Mysteries! I love the great descriptions of the Charleston area, the useful tea lore, and the yummy recipes. The ..."

THE SILVER NEEDLE MURDER is one of only 2 in this series that I've given 5-stars. They usually rate a 3 or 4 with me.

message 24: by Daphne (new)

Daphne (daphne2163) | 134 comments I have just discovered this group and will join in on the July read. I happened to pick up at the library a couple of weeks ago Motif for Murder Motif for Murder (A Scrapbooking Mystery, #4) by Laura Childs . I enjoyed it, but as it was the fourth book in the scrapbooking series I want to go back and begin with the first book. I will also read the first book in the tea series with the group.

message 25: by Kathie (new)

Kathie H (gypsy18) | 18 comments A bit off-topic, but I'm reading a book right now titled Marvelous Old Mansions: and Other Southern Treasures by Sylvia Higginbotham. I want to make another road trip into the deep South now! Especially Charleston.

message 26: by Leslie (new)

Leslie | 206 comments I already had Eggs in Purgatory but I just picked up the first book in each of the other series(scrapbook and tea shop). I thought since most of you had a favorite series or liked one and not another I would go ahead and just try them all and see for myself.

message 27: by Mary C (new)

Mary C (marymaryalwayscontrary) | 110 comments I read the 1st Tea Shop mystery and really enjoyed it and have been collecting the others. I recently acquired the 1st scrapbook mystery. I thought I had a copy of Eggs in Purgatory but it's not showing up on my PBS TBR list. I'll have to put it in my reminder list.

message 28: by Caitlyn (new)

Caitlyn (quietcait) | 96 comments I have read and own all three of her series and enjoy them all. If I had to rank them:
1) Tea Shoppe
2) Scrapbooking
3) Crackle Club

message 29: by Suzanne (new)

Suzanne | 188 comments This is really cool - one of my goals on another website is to catch up on this series. So, I will endeaver to read Oolong Dead this month.

message 30: by Daphne (last edited Jun 29, 2010 09:34AM) (new)

Daphne (daphne2163) | 134 comments In case anyone is looking for a copy of the first Tea Shop book, Death by Darjeeling, I just put a copy on the Goodreads Swap today. I found I had two copies of it.

message 31: by Trine (new)

Trine (trinespageongoodreads) | 200 comments I'm reading Frill Kill (A Scrapbooking Mystery, #5) by Laura Childs .

message 32: by Sandra J (new)

Sandra J Weaver (sandraweaver) | 308 comments I just picked up The Silver Needle Murder at the library, so I'll be reading that one (at least to start).

message 33: by Marisa, Cozy Mysteries Assistant Moderator (last edited Jul 03, 2010 01:29AM) (new)

Marisa (moretta) | 3905 comments Mod
I'm reading Death by Darjeeling and very good so far, I'm liking it a lot. I apologize for this question but I'm a poor Spanish girl ;) These books are set in Charleston, South Carolina (I think it's here) or Charleston, Western Virginia. Thinking about USA challenge myself.

message 34: by Melodie (last edited Jul 03, 2010 04:17AM) (new)

Melodie (melodieco) | 5280 comments Marisa wrote: "I'm reading Death by Darjeeling and very good so far, I'm liking it a lot. I apologize for this question but I'm a poor Spanish girl ;) These books are set in Charleston, South Caroli..."

South Carolina. Charleston, WV is definitely not the genteel setting that Charleston, SC is. And it's also nowhere near the coast.

message 35: by Marisa, Cozy Mysteries Assistant Moderator (new)

Thank you, my geographical knowledge about states in USA is not very wide.

message 36: by Kathie (new)

Kathie H (gypsy18) | 18 comments Marisa, I know how you feel! I'm the same way with Europe etc.! Charleston WV is rather poor. Charleston SC has so many beautiful old Southern mansions & is definitely a vacation destination.

message 37: by Marisa, Cozy Mysteries Assistant Moderator (new)

I've finished Death by Darjeeling and I've liked it a lot. Howeder, I've tried to begin Keepsake Crimes and I've read only three chapters. No interest for me there. I've to try the last series.

message 38: by Melodie (new)

Melodie (melodieco) | 5280 comments Marisa wrote: "I've finished Death by Darjeeling and I've liked it a lot. Howeder, I've tried to begin Keepsake Crimes and I've read only three chapters. No interest for me there. I'v..."

I don't like the Scrapbooking series either. Tried it and couldn't finish it. Hope you like the Cackleberry Club. I like it the best of the 3.

message 39: by Sandra J (new)

Sandra J Weaver (sandraweaver) | 308 comments I just finished The Silver Needle Mystery, and I'm definitely conflicted about this book. The title really has nothing to do with the book other than being a tea mentioned in the story. I rather liked the characters (up to a point-when the lecturing starts, I skim), the descriptions of the setting were good, the mystery was meh. I'll take a couple of others of hers out of the library. Maybe one of the others will grab me more than this one did.

message 40: by Shay (new)

Shay | 408 comments @Sandra, I think that her tea series is more "atmospheric" than a true mystery. I love reading the descriptions of Charleston and its homes, gardens, and other places. In my opinion, the mystery element becomes less important, to the author, as the series goes on. Also, I find that Theodosia and Drayton become even more prissy as the series goes on. Despite all of this, I still find myself liking the series.

message 41: by Sandra J (new)

Sandra J Weaver (sandraweaver) | 308 comments That's good to know, Shay. I'll try one of the earlier books in the series. I also will try one of her scrapbooking mysteries. I have no particular interest in the craft, so it will be interesting to see if she can "hook" me into her story.

message 42: by Daphne (new)

Daphne (daphne2163) | 134 comments Kari wrote: "Daphne wrote: "In case anyone is looking for a copy of the first Tea Shop book, Death by Darjeeling, I just put a copy on the Goodreads Swap today. I found I had two copies of it."
..."

Kari - I hope you enjoy it. That was the first tea shop mystery I read and it was just okay for me. As others have stated, the mystery part was a little weak, but the setting and characters are interesting and fun. I have also read the fourth scrapbook mystery, Motif for Murder, which I enjoyed more. I really like the New Orleans setting in those and the scrapbooking part was not too much and what there was of it was interesting. I am going to go back and read the first scrapbook mystery and try the second tea shop book.

If anybody is interested, I have listed a few more Laura Childs books on the goodreads swap.

message 43: by Kimberly (new)

Kimberly (whatkreads) I just finished reading The Teaberry Strangler . It definitely wasn't my favorite in the series. Started out great with the mystery being introduced within the first couple pages, but it just went downhill from there. Just seemed slow and the story didn't really flow well in my opinion.

message 44: by Melodie (new)

Melodie (melodieco) | 5280 comments Kimberly wrote: "I just finished reading The Teaberry Strangler . It definitely wasn't my favorite in the series. Started out great with the mystery being introduced within the first couple pages, bu..."

Yep! Not my favorite either. Hope this isn't how they're going to continue to go!

message 45: by Helen (new)

Helen | 17 comments I've just finished Death by Darjeelingand I enjoyed it more as it got going .... I did though suspect the correct murderer very early on .... I enjoyed the desriptions of the location and very definately was able to picture the scenes ...

message 46: by Beverly (new)

Beverly (bevarcher) Because I read so much and don't have a house big enough to hold all my books as it is, I have to pick and choose between the authors I purchase and those I get from the library. I've been a big fan of Laura Childs for some time now and all three series are among those that I actually purchase. I like tea and scrap booking, which is why I started these two in the first place. I started the Cackleberry books because I enjoyed the other two. As for the characters in the tea shop books. I've scanned some of the reviews here and other places. I don't mind that Drayton is a little high brow. It seems in fitting with his age and his background. If he were much younger it would seem out of place and he wouldn't be as likable. I'm not a big fan of Delaine, but in real life there usually at least one person in a group that we don't particularly care for. These are nice, light easy reads. Maybe I enjoy them so much because I just like the idea of formal tea - but living in a house full of males, that's not something I get to enjoy.

message 47: by Leslie (new)

Leslie | 206 comments I finished Eggs in Purgatory this week as I was sitting on the beach. My husband was surf fishing and before I knew it it was dark. I went to the car and got a flashlight and finished it while sitting in the dark on the beach! I really enjoyed this book and am looking forward to getting the next one in the series.

message 48: by Teresa (last edited Jul 10, 2010 06:42PM) (new)

Teresa (trm10) | 8 comments I finished Death by Darjeeling today. I enjoyed the book. I didn't have it figured out.

Next I will be reading Keepsake Crimes.

message 49: by Melodie (new)

Melodie (melodieco) | 5280 comments Leslie wrote: "I finished Eggs in Purgatory this week as I was sitting on the beach. My husband was surf fishing and before I knew it it was dark. I went to the car and got a flashlight and finis..."

Of Childs' 3 series, I like this one the best.

message 50: by Shay (new)

Shay | 408 comments @Melodie, that's my favorite series too. I think those books have the most likable characters. However, I think that the tea shop series has the best overall writing- the descriptions of Charleston alone make you want to move there, or at least visit on an extended trip.

« previous 1