Children's Books discussion

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Eastofoz (new)

Eastofoz Can anyone recommend a good book about Helen Keller for children under 10?

message 2: by Manybooks (last edited Jun 01, 2010 08:54AM) (new)

Manybooks | 7842 comments Mod
I've read the books Abigail mentions as well, I really liked Helen Keller's Teacher. I actually did a project on Helen Keller in grade six, but except for the Margaret Davison books, the only other book I remember reading (and totally loving) was a book about another blind and deaf girl called Laura Bridgman which I read in conjunction with the books on Helen Keller Child of the Silent Night: The Inspiring Story of Laura Bridgman, Both Deaf and Blind (this book is most likely out of print, but it is an amazing story).

message 3: by Eastofoz (last edited Jun 01, 2010 01:56PM) (new)

Eastofoz I was fascinated by Helen Keller when I was in elemetary school. I think I read a kid's version of The Miracle Worker. Two teachers had done projects on her life and we had to read a book about her. I picked up this one for my son:

Who Was Helen Keller?

It's part of a series for kids about various famous people. If it's good I plan to get some others.

This one also looks good but may be more for older kids. DK Publishing has excellent reference books:

Helen Keller: A photographic story of a life

Who Was Helen Keller? (Who Was...?) by Gare Thompson Helen Keller A photographic story of a life (DK Biography) by Leslie Garrett

message 4: by C (new)

C Brown | 1 comments I know this is a really old thread, but... I think I know the book everyone was wracking their brains for. It was a part of my favorite series in elementary school- ValueTales. The series had books about many famous people, and Helen Keller was one of them. :D

message 5: by Manybooks (last edited Sep 18, 2012 02:26PM) (new)

Manybooks | 7842 comments Mod
C wrote: "I know this is a really old thread, but... I think I know the book everyone was wracking their brains for. It was a part of my favorite series in elementary school- ValueTales. The series had books..."

Thanks for reviving this thread :-)

I read and enjoyed a few books on Helen Keller last year, the best was definitely (although actually about Annie Sullivan) Miss Spitfire: Reaching Helen Keller, just wonderful.

I also thought that Helen Keller: Rebellious Spirit was quite good, although I did not enjoy the almost deliberately and constantly negative remarks towards Annie Sullivan (I know she was considered difficult, but this book almost felt as though the author was, at times, deliberately trying to denigrate and disparage her (a good introduction though, but definitely for older children and young adults, with wonderful photographs).

And by the way Doreen Rappaport is releasing a new book on Helen Keller in October, Helen's Big World: The Life of Helen Keller; it is on order at out library and looks to be an advanced picture book biography (probably for ages 8 and onward).

message 6: by Trailslady (new)

Trailslady | 1 comments C wrote: "I think I know the book everyone was wracking their brains for. It was a part of my favorite series- ValueTales."

Oh my gosh that's it! Thank you SO much! I remember reading that book over and over again, loved the illustrations the best. Thank you! Now I can get it for my daughter too! It's Helen Keller, the Value of Determination" by ValueTales. Thanks again!!